main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Falcon on Jakku

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Parparamia, Dec 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Parparamia

Parparamia Jedi Master star 3

Sep 17, 2004
    I dont buy the face value answer of why the Falcon was on Jakku...that it was stolen a few times over and ended up in a junk yard. Sorry...a ship with such history, fame and romance...in universe mind you....no way it would not get noticed by someone.

Is this one of those times where we are to assume that the Falcon was the only means for Rey and Finn to escape and therefore was put in just the right place on Jakku by the force to help Rey and Finn? It really is the only way for me to look at it.....cause for me to look at it as it all happening by chance....the odds of that are astronomical.

2. The_Third_Man

The_Third_Man Jedi Knight

Dec 9, 2014
    I don't think we can ask too many questions about it or the logic of it being there might not survive. I have a bit a hard time with why it hasn't been taken before Rey and Finn get in and fly away. Perhaps Rey's understanding of what modifications and restrictions Plutt made to it allowed only her to be able to fly it, but if it hasn't flown in years then it's been sitting there for years...ripe for the taking by someone desperate to get off of Jakku.

Riven_JTAC and Luke'sSeveredHand like this.
  3. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
    Maybe beside Unkar nobody knew it was the Falcon. It's probably not the only YT-1300f light freighter in the GFFA at that time (just one of the last ones).

4. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    We know that the majority of people look at the Falcon as a piece of Junk so if I were you I would leave it as people not wanting to fly it.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  5. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    If something is explicitly explained, I normally just roll with that explanation.

6. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Because the main characters were on Jakku.

JediMatteus and Riven_JTAC like this.
  7. Rookhelm

Rookhelm Jedi Master star 4

Sep 22, 2014
    whatever gaps there are in the logic, I believe the explanation we got is the true one. No more explanation needed, imo.

ToolNila likes this.
  8. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    While we're at it...I don't believe the ship that made the Kessel Run in 12 parsecs would end up on some outer rim trash heap like Tatooine. I mean come on...it's so convenient that Han Solo is there when Luke and Ben need a ride.

Also, seriously the space slug? Of all the craters on all the asteroids they go into that one? Pfft.

And lastly, they left the Falcon parked out in the Tatooine desert for God knows how long...were there no scavenger Tusken Raiders or Jawas out there?

9. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    Rey being on Jakku, the missing piece of the map being found on Jakku, an old friend of Leia's and the Resistance on Jakku, the Falcon being on Jakku....

...just a coincidence.

Death Wizard and Sarge like this.
  10. Mars457

Mars457 Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 3, 2013
    Externally, the Falcon is just another ****** antique YT-1300 airframe. What makes it special is its history (who nobody would know about from a moment's glance and the internal upgrades.

Unkar Plutt probably knew it was the Falcon, though, since he runs in the same "thieves and scoundrels" circle.

MeBeJedi and Elle-Wan like this.
  11. The_Third_Man

The_Third_Man Jedi Knight

Dec 9, 2014
    I missed where it was explicitly explained why it was sitting there, doors open and keys in the ignition, presumably for years, and it was never taken before Rey and Finn hopped in. I can roll with 'everyone thought it was garbage' but Jakku is such a desolate place that it had to be crawling with people trying to get out of there by any means necessary.

Runjedirun likes this.
  12. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    If you are gonna start analyzing coincidences in Star Wars, you are going to be in for a bad time. Just accept it as the Will of the Force and move on. After all, how likely was it that qui-gonn just happened to land at Mos Espa, and just happened to go to Watto and run into Anakin. Coincidences abound in Star Wars.

ProfessorNutbudder likes this.
  13. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    The OP said he doesn't buy the explanation for why the Falcon was on Jakku, despite the explicit nature of that explanation. The audience was told exactly how it ended up on Jakku. Until new information is available, I have chosen to accept the current explanation.

14. Mars457

Feb 3, 2013
    Simon Pegg probably had a few big scary guys with guns watching the ship before a bunch of TIE fighters came along and started blowing everything up.

Runjedirun and The_Third_Man like this.
  15. Argalin

Argalin Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 18, 2015
    The history, fame, and romance is all from us as an audience. You can't always transfer your relationship with what is on screen to the film universe as a whole. The filmmakers have NEVER put another YT-1300 model freighter on screen because we would fully realize that it is a model that has been made over and over, the Falcon would lose its special-ness. To those on Jakku it is just another YT-1300 freighter amongst many others in the galaxy. An old junky one in need of repair at that.

Enkei, Sarge, Darth__Lobot and 2 others like this.
  16. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    This. Rey just throught is was "junk." Even Luke, nearly 40 years before thought it was a piece of junk. No one looks to steal the rusty 70's era conversion van. Plutt wanted it specifically becuase it was the Falcon. but like any super-customized car, it probably requires quite a bit of undocumented knowledge to make it work exceptionally, which is why it's just sitting there.

17. Elle-Wan

Elle-Wan Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 11, 2004
    I don't think the MF is considered to be a legendary ship by more than a handful of people. Most people think it is literally a piece of garbage. It's basically the the SW equivalent of a 1997 Chevi Impala. It just happens that Han has done a lot of modifications to it.

18. Darth Doop

Darth Doop Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2014
    Unkar really wanted the falcon. I think it'll be explained, because the cross sections book brings it up, but says that it's a secret as to why Unkar won't junk it.

19. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    um hello, rey knew what the falcon was when she heard the name. it is a famous ship.

20. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Force Ghost star 4

May 8, 2002
    How did Luke land nearly on top of Yoda on Dagobah? :) So many things like this. Like you said, just go with it.

WatTamborWoo and thejeditraitor like this.
  21. Mars457

Feb 3, 2013
    Rey knew about the Falcon, but she didn't know that particular ship was the Falcon. On the outside it looks like just another junky YT-1300, a long obsolete and discontinued model.

MeBeJedi and Sarge like this.
  22. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Force Ghost star 4

May 8, 2002
    Yup, in the novel there's a nameplate they see briefly and can't make out as the enter that says like "MaXXXXXX FaXXXX" or something. They don't know what it is at first.

23. Darth Early

Darth Early Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 23, 2015
    My car has a lot of history and romance in it...still no one notices it :(

24. darthOB1

darthOB1 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 22, 2000
    The YT freighter design is probably junk. However with the mods Lando and Han made to it probably allowed it to gain the legendary reputation it has. The thought was probably that the YT on Jakku was one of the junky ones and not the legend since it didn't have the "right" antenna on it

DaddlerTheDalek and Sarge like this.
  25. Riven_JTAC

Riven_JTAC Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2011
    From the film, we know Rey has worked on the Falcon, even if she didn't know that's what it was. She shows a particular knowledge about some modifications made by Unkar... but she doesn't know about any of the "special modifications" made by Han? She never comes across those while working on the Falcon?

And for a ship that appears to all to be a piece of junk, it starts up fairly well and flies amazingly well. Was Unkar such a dunce (or his pilot, if he himself wasn't one) so bad that they had no idea how good the Falcon was?

Finally, in the OT we see how temperamental and finicky the Falcon was (mostly in Episode V, but to some extent in IV, as well). We don't seem to see any of that this movie, as evidenced by the only problem that occurs being a result of Unkar's modification, not anything previously done.

All of those things bothered me more than the mere fact that the Falcon was on Jakku.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.