main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Falcon on Jakku

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Parparamia, Dec 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dameron

Dameron Jedi Master star 4

Apr 8, 2014

There's more to it than that... we really need an explanation for the "Jakku triangle" of Rey, the Falcon, and the map, all within... what? A few hundred feet of each other? A mile or two?

Apparently within a couple hours of each other, maybe even minutes, Ren, Finn, Poe, and BB-8 all slam into this teeny-tiny patch of sand which has come to serve as the Plot Point Storage Facility for half the galaxy. Supposedly they're all looking for the map, but there's obviously more to it... surely the Rey-Falcon-map trifecta has already assembled in one place for a reason.

blaisedinsd likes this.
  2. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    The Jakku Trinity

rdhight likes this.
  3. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Kind of reminds me of Vader, the droids, the Death Star plans, Luke, Obi-Wan, and Han and Chewie all on or above this small desert planet in the Outer Rim.

Darth__Lobot and Force Smuggler like this.
  4. Mars457

Mars457 Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 3, 2013
    Lor San Tekka's village is at least a day's travel from Rey's AT-AT. While we don't know the maximum land speed of BB-8 over uneven terrain, even a lowball estimate of ten mph would still put the village hundreds of miles away from Rey's home.

Nima Outpost is obviously closer to Rey's place. It's basically her equivalent of "going into town". Still, if Rey works for the guy who owns the Falcon, and guy who owns the Falcon is a known underworld figure, that still makes Rey and the Falcon being in the same place pretty reasonable.

5. Dameron

Apr 8, 2014

Interesting if true. I've only seen the movie once; I was left with the impression the only overland travel that takes place on Jakku is Rey's speeder ride and Finn's walk, with everything else taking place within a very small radius. Next time I watch it, I'll keep this in mind.

6. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    And Rey stole it from Unkar. I guess it's Chewie's now.

7. ISSD Executor

ISSD Executor Jedi Knight

Dec 29, 2015
    At least as fast as that of an unladen swallow.

MeBeJedi and Sarge like this.
  8. Dameron

Apr 8, 2014

Those are some nice arms on Rey. Shame if anything were to... happen to 'em.

Sarge and The Legions of Lettow like this.
  9. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Well, I was under the impression that Ducain, the Irving Boys and Unkar Platt were all from Jakku, seeing as Rey is familiar with all of them.

It goes to figure that the Falcon was at the Battle of Jakku when the Empire lost the war... it could have been stolen at that point, and then hidden by Ducain, but then the Irving Boys found it and stole it before Unkar Platt stole it.

Rey is very familiar with what has been done with the Falcon under Unkar Platt... I think she must have been employed by him to work on it at times, which is why she also knows that it hasn't flown in years, and why she thinks it's such a piece of junk.

So no, I don't think it was stolen a few times and then just "happened to end up there" if that's the question. I think it's been there for most of the 30yrs since ROTJ, but Han just couldn't find it... hard for 1 man to search an entire planet for a single ship.

Also, remember the ship and it's accomplishments may be legendary, but it still looks like any other YT-1300 freighter... of which are supposedly pretty common in universe... and she has never "looked" legendary either. Always looked like a common piece of junk.

rdhight and Sarge like this.
  10. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Han mentions to Chewie it was a good thing the sensor or tracker was triggered once it flew off world.

So it seems Han and Chewie, rather than scouring each of a million worlds in the galaxy, focused on when it would travel in space so they could pick up the sensor triggered when it took off.

This dialogue is in the film.

EviL_eLF likes this.
  11. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    Likely something Han installed for security before it was stolen from him.

ShaneP likes this.
  12. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Force Ghost star 4

May 8, 2002
    Beacon I think. Once it triggered they jumped to it.

EviL_eLF and ShaneP like this.
  13. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001

Yes that's it.

14. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Honestly, it would made made more sense Han was there on Jakku on rest stop or business(reminiscent of ANH comparison with the ANH would not of made a difference at this point with the movie they went with filming), not sure what was up with the set up they went for, to me it was unneeded and confusing. Speaking of the Falcon. I would've liked to have seen the Falcon on Felusia like in Art Of Book. Another desert world really didnt do anything for me to be honest. I also liked the visual of the Falcon underwater searching for something. In fact they could've made Han something of an Indiana Jones in space, like he was actively searching for Luke and artifacts ect for the last decade or more instead of an aging trucker in space imo.

15. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Just wait for the young Han movie. :p

16. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014

;)

MeBeJedi likes this.
  17. Stoneymonster

May 8, 2002
    Just say no to submarine spaceships.

ShaneP likes this.
  18. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001

Yes it is a space.ship.

It's not the Millennium Flounder. It's a Falcon. It flies.

19. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    If the Falcon can survive sandstorms..its airtight it makes sense. Luke's X-Wing was submerged on Dagobah and it flew fine with sea weed and all. Open your minds- Quato.

MeBeJedi likes this.
  20. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001

Arnie says: Quato, you ugly son of a *****.

21. Jabberwock2137

Jabberwock2137 Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 16, 2013
    Can't see half the galaxy lining up to run off with this.....[​IMG]

EviL_eLF and DaddlerTheDalek like this.
  22. Mars457

Mars457 Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 3, 2013
    Hell no. The design requirements for a space ship and a submersible are basically in completely opposite directions.

Stoneymonster and Sarge like this.
  23. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Spaceship pressure hulls are built to keep the pressure in. Submarine pressure hulls are built to keep the pressure out. The structural engineering is very very different.

Stoneymonster likes this.
  24. Stoneymonster

May 8, 2002
    Precisely. Thank you.

25. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    Yes... a pressure hull on a space ship needs to keep the pressure of 1 Atmosphere in... but that is not very hard to do. Even a Balloon can keep more than 1 atmosphere of pressure inside. The structural engineering required to keep many more atmospheres OUT that a sub needs to do... will also VERY EASILY keep 1 atmosphere of pressure IN.

Other Sci-fi films/games have addressed this as well. The Kodiak shuttle used in Mass Effect 3 is rated to be able to handle over 1,000 atmospheres, and as a result can go to great depths underwater without issue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.