main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Falcon on Jakku

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Parparamia, Dec 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dameron

Dameron Jedi Master star 4

Apr 8, 2014

I like the idea of the Falcon having been in been in the battle of Jakku and never having left. Brings a certain logic to the situation — Rey stealing it is her ultimate act of salvaging things from the battle, something she's been doing all her life.

Not sure if it matches with Han and Chewie's dialogue about the search. When Han talks about checking "the western reaches," that gives me the impression he thought the Falcon could be anywhere, over an immense area. But it's a cool interpretation. When I see the movie a second time, I'll listen with this in mind and see if it's possible to square it.

I wonder if the Luke map and/or Lor San Tekka were also there on Jakku because of the battle?

2. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    I actually wonder of Lor was on Jakku because he was tracking Rey's mother and the trail went cold there (obviously because she must've died shortly after leaving Rey behind).

Rodie, Force Smuggler and rdhight like this.
  3. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    I dont have a problem with the Falcon on Jakku but the Falcon on Jakku, Lor San Tekka with Luke's Map and Rey all on Jakku.....yeah and it doesnt seem like the Falcon crashed at the Battle of Jakku either.

rdhight likes this.
  4. Dameron

Apr 8, 2014

That's plausible. He's looking for Force stuff, searches the galaxy, finds the map, but can't use it because he doesn't know anything about the Part B that's held by the Resistance inside R2. He keeps looking, follows a cold trail almost all the way to Rey, but there again, can't quite connect because the First Order interferes. A good relic hunter, but stopped short of Luke because he can't negotiate the political/military parts of the problem.

Now I want a spinoff where Max von Sydow teams up with Han and Chewie as the "Henry Jones Sr." of the GFFA, searching for fantastical lost artifacts.

Sarge likes this.
  5. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    The Jakku Trinity was always meant to be.

6. Athiest_knight

Athiest_knight Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    . The force to help Rey, sure bit not Finn. I can't see this force knowing some random slave trooper turning against the first order.

7. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Force Ghost star 4

May 8, 2002
    Kmowing, no. Nudging? Something sure bugged Kylo about Finn in that first scene.

Strongbow and Sarge like this.
  8. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    He sensed Finn's fear and distaste for slaughtering unarmed villagers.

Hernalt likes this.
  9. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    More like The Force?

10. Stoneymonster

May 8, 2002
    The middle two are not linked by coincidence. Poe was going to see Lor because he had the map.

11. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    Tne Entire SW Saga is riddled with ridiculous coincidences. TESB is probably the only film that isn't (and I'm sure someone is already preparing to reply to this post with all the coincidences in TESB :))

- The setup at the start of ANH is a bunch of ridiculous coincidences
    - It's amazing that the detention block, tractor beam control, docking bay they tractored the falcon into etc are all within walking distance on a MOON SIZED space station
    - The plan to rescue Han in ROTJ? Yeah.... too many ridiculous coincidences to list

MeBeJedi likes this.
  12. Stoneymonster

May 8, 2002

I've said it before, maybe in this thread, but Luke landed right next to Yoda on Dagobah.

13. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I wish that Han and Chewie didn't lose the Falcon between movies but retired it and put it in a museum as an artifact of history or something and then Rey and Finn take it and then Han and Chewie chase after them to find out why they took the ship.

14. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    TESB coincidences that I can remember.

- Han lands the falcon in a cave on an asteroid that happens to have a space slug living in it. Odds of this seem small...
    - Luke lands his X-Wing very close to Yoda's hut. Unless Dagobah is the size of a parking lot, that seems to be lucky.

15. Darth__Lobot

Dec 29, 2015

That one I can buy personally. I mean Yoda obviously knows he's coming and I assume he used to force or whatever to make him land in the right place.

Now, if Yoda hadn't known he was coming that would be ridiculous

Sarge likes this.
  16. Stoneymonster

May 8, 2002

Leading to the inevitable: "It belongs in a museum!"

Sarge likes this.
  17. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    The great line: "I stole it from Unkar Plutt, who stole it from the Irving Boys, who stole it from Ducain" makes this plot-line worth it. Followed up by Han's "Well tell him that Han Solo has stolen the MF back. For good."

Love that part of the film. Great dialogue and world-building.

18. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Works for me.
    Han and Chewie losing the Falcon? The story of that is going to have to be amazing for me to buy that. I just can't wrap my head around it.
    Might get mocked for this but whatever.
    In Power Rangers Lost Galaxy, some of the heroes took the ship of the previous season's heroes (Power Rangers In Space), from a museum, to rescue some of the other main characters on another planet.
    Don't remember what the Space Rangers said about it in the team up episode later in the season but I liked that they used the old ship for a new generation.

19. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Right. Plutt might have known about it, but I doubt anyone else would be able to identify it since there are probably more than enough YTs floating around the galaxy, anyway. There was even one landing on Coruscant in ROTS, so we know they aren't unique.

Having said that, I would like to know why the Falcon was traceable. Was there something on the Falcon that Han had Installed, like Lojack or something? Whatever the case, Plutt kept it grounded for a reason and tried to modify it, and maybe even looked for this thing onboard so it wasn't traceable.

MeBeJedi likes this.
  20. Dameron

Apr 8, 2014
    Darth__Lobot Stoneymonster

There are a lot of things in Star Wars that you have a right to insist are coincidence if you like — we don't have absolute proof that they're not — but there's usually a valid way of looking at things where it's logical.

You could choose to think of the Tantive being attacked over that specific planet as coincidence, but I choose to look at it as: Leia was always headed to Tatooine to ask for Ben's help, and Vader knew about their flight plan and was waiting when they arrived.

You could choose to think of the cell block, tractor beam, and docking bay as being coincidentally close together, but I choose to think of the tractor beam needing to be close to the docking bay it pulls ships into; you could also think of those "elevators" as being essentially an omnidirectional rail system that goes for miles.

There are definitely some "Force did it" moments. Luke landing right next to Yoda's hut. The Jabba rescue going spectacularly well with such a ramshackle plan. But there's a lot of logic there, if you want to see it.

21. Stoneymonster

May 8, 2002
    There's nothing that explains Owen Lars needing to buy the two important droids that just happened to be for sale at his homestead after happening to land from an escape pod close enough to be captured by local Jawas :)

22. Darth__Lobot

Dec 29, 2015

I was just pointing those out because IMO they aren't any better/worse than the coincidences in TFA. None of them really bother me and I agree that I can suspend disbelief/come up with some kind of relatively reasonable in-universe explanation for most of them

23. Stoneymonster

May 8, 2002
    Ding.

24. Dameron

Apr 8, 2014

Those were princess-quality droids even in the rich, shiny Old Republic era. The Jawas didn't realize what they had and horrifically underpriced them. Of course the first moisture farmer with half a brain was going to snap them up. That was like an Antiques Roadshow moment of triumph. No wonder Owen wanted 'em back right away — they were probably the best bargain he ever got in his life!

25. Stoneymonster

May 8, 2002
    Good thing he had room on his credit cards that day! ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.