main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT The Falcon... Unsuitable for Lando?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by sarlaccsaurs-rex, Jul 16, 2014.

1. May_The_Force_Be_With_You

May_The_Force_Be_With_You Jedi Master star 1

Jan 21, 2014
    What makes you think Lando can pilot a small fighter? Unless I missed something that says he knows how to use an X-Wing?

2. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Thing is, if you can modify a regular cargo ship to such an extent, then Sienar or KDY ought to be able to come up with a dedicated combat ship in the same size category that performs better...since they wouldn't be working with the limitations of a cargo ship hull to begin with.

Anyway, I'd say yeah it makes sense to use the Falcon at Endor since the Rebels need to use every ship they've got, and Lando knows how to fly the thing. I would even say Lando is more "well-suited" to the Falcon than Han, and if I had been writing the post-ROTJ EU, I'd probably have had Han give it back to Lando. As for whether it was a smart idea to fly the Falcon into the Death Star, I would say no, especially since the smaller and more maneuverable fighters were already a very tight fit.

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The novelization mentioned Lando's "legendary flying" which by implication did not mean of a capital ship:

"I'm a man of many faces and many costumes. Someone must have told them about my little maneuver at the Battle of Taanab." Taanab was an agrarian planet raided seasonally by bandits from Norulac. Calrissian - before his stint as governor of Cloud City - had wiped out the bandits against all odds, using legendary flying and unheard of strategies. And he'd done it on a bet.

Han also said Lando was "a fair pilot" in the movie.

While that doesn't mean he's a fighter pilot - there's a strong theme of Lando's being a small ship pilot.

4. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Oh come to think of it, during the briefing room scene Han says to Lando "I just said you were a fair pilot, I didn't know they were looking for someone to lead this crazy attack". So Lando is a general and is expected to lead the attack...in what? Han doesn't hand over the keys to the Falcon until the next scene in the hangar, so what was the original plan?

5. Malcolm Reynolds

Malcolm Reynolds Jedi Master star 5

Sep 2, 2013
    yoho lord helmet