1. Welcome back everyone! Wondering why everything looks different? Please visit HERE for more information!

Art Archive The Fan Art Studio Class: Version 4.5 (Assignment 3 now posted)

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by HanSolo29, Jul 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Corellian_Outrider
  1. HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist

star 6
    After a long haitus and some discussion on how to improve this concept, the Fan Art Class is back for another semester. :p I would like to give a big thank you for Otis and Baroness for being the originators of this concept. [:D]

Here's how this particular thread works:

This thread will be setup like a real art studio/class. Every two weeks (most likely every other Sunday once we get into the swing of things) I will post a couple of photographs/images to use as a reference for sketching, drawing, painting, whatever(I would prefer if you would refrain from using Photoshop or other imaging programs. I want to keep this aimed more toward traditional art and focusing in on those skills). These images will be Star Wars-related in some way or another (this is a Star Wars board, after all). The point being to draw what you see, as if you were in a life drawing class. The medium you work in is entirely up to you, the artist.

I encourage everyone to post their work here in this thread for a critique and thorough feedback. This thread is aimed at helping each and every artist, regardless of skill level, to improve. So, expect more "harsher" critiques than what you would find elsewhere on the boards. And please remember, they are about the work itself - not the artist.

And just like a real art class, each submission must be posted by a certain due date. Deadlines are a big deal in the art world and they will count here as well. After the deadline for the current assignment has passed, the reference images for that time period will be taken down. The artwork submitted for the past two weeks will then be reposted for a group critique(approx. 2-3 days). Everyone is welcomed to participate in this portion of the class as long as things are kept civil. Once again, jabs at the artist themselves or comments like, "That's stupid," will not be tolerated. Warnings and bannings will be issued if things get out of hand.

At the end of the critique period, new images will be put up and the process will repeat.

In closing, please don't stress too much over this, just like everything else here, it is meant to be fun! :)

Assignment Three: Hands
    Due Date: Monday, January 29th

I've had quite a few requests to try out this topic, so I decided give it a go. I tried to collect images that had a more prominant focus on the hands. That turned out to be much harder than I first anticipated, so I did my best with what was available. Remember to try and zone in on the hands and not so much as supporting elements or liknesses(unless of course they are holding something like a lightsaber). Here are the images for this round:

George Lucas

Obi-Wan Kenobi

Lando

This assignment is pretty straight forward. Try to do your best with capturing the shape and proportions of the hands. This is a difficult subject matter for many, but the only sound advice I can really give is to just keep drawing them(draw them to fill your sketchbook). Eventually things will start turning out to look like an actual human hand and you'll be surprised with how much detail and information you'll retain by doing this exercise. Hopefully this assignment will be a starting point for you to try it out in the future.

I do have a chart and a technical drawing of the proportions and bone structures of the hand. As soon as I track that down, I'll be sure to post that up to help you out.

Feel free to use any medium and style you wish. Remember, the main goal here is to have fun!

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask! Have fun! :)/>
  2. FalconFan Jedi Master

star 4
    Oh, lord... **shudders** "Fabric and Folds..." **shudders again**

First--I'm so glad to see this thread coming back! It's a great way to challenge ourselves, which is always a skill-builder--and it's another great way for our community to get together and participate!

Second--I'd like to thrash...er, thank the person or persons that suggested "fabric and folds!" It's something that eludes me constantly, and is something I do need much practice on--so I will definitely be trying to get something done for this subject!

And to everyone else that's interested--come on in and get your feet wet! These exercises and the resulting critiques are wonderful ways to improve our drawing skills, and are definitely worth doing!

FF
  3. PadawanDi Jedi Knight

star 1
    :D Alright, art class! I'm totally going to participate!

As for "fabric and folds"... Now that I think about it, I don't think I've ever really tried working with fabric and folds. This should be interesting, lol. I've already started working on one. I'm having more fun with it than I thought I would. I can't help focusing on the likeness of the character, but don't worry I'm spending more time on the clothes!

Anyway, I'm really happy that this thread has started- can't you tell? :p
  4. odj_310388 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    [image=http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/5051/scan1004358ky.jpg]

Ok heres my effort, decided not to include her head due to this being mainly about folds. I also understand that a pen isnt the greatest idea for shading in folds. :p
  5. FalconFan Jedi Master

star 4
    **frets about "headless Padme"**

:D ;)

Very nice work on the dress, odj! And the hardest parts about using a pen are 1) you can't erase (my own biggest crutch!), and 2) to shade you have to spend hours either stipling or crosshatching!

Here's my own--I actually put a head on mine, but elected not to finish shading in the great big gun...there're no "folds" on that... **shrug**

Leia-White Dress (Standing)

The likeness lacks, but this one is really about the dress, anyway!

FF
  6. PadawanDi Jedi Knight

star 1
    Very nice pen work odj! The shading would've been nice, but it looks wonderful without it!

Nice work FalconFan! The shading is great! The likeness is lacking a little, but you're right- it really is about the dress. And the dress looks beautiful!

Well, I've finally finished mine. I wasn't sure if the head piece that she is wearing counted as part of the clothing so I did it anyway (really I was just giving myself an excuse to do the face... :p)

Padme- Desert Dress

:( And unfortunately, the head piece didn't really show up... it kind of blended into her hair...
  7. odj_310388 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I hate not being able to erase, its really a pain cause one little mistake and you have to start all over again, but I was sitting here saw the contest, didnt have a pencil arround so pen it was! Kind of a spur of the moment thing. :p

Nice work on the folds, it looks very fluid even though whatever you were using seemed to have a rough kind of finnish to it, very good work.

Nice work, you seem to have defined the folds really well although it looks a little faint, perhaps that is due to the scan.

Now re-looking at my piece I might go back and do some cross hatching for the shading, see if it makes it any better.
  8. FalconFan Jedi Master

star 4
    **feels like a slacker, with everyone else drawing the more-difficult "Padme dress..."**

[face_sheepish]

;)

odj wrote: "whatever you were using seemed to have a rough kind of finish to it"

I did indeed use a rough-surfaced paper for this one--good eye!

"Now re-looking at my piece I might go back and do some cross hatching for the shading"

I think that's a great idea--it would really help emphasize the creases and folding.

PadawanDi, you did a great job with the desert dress, too--I once did a fan fiction character with clothing much like this dress, and it was a real bugger for me, so I went with the easier draping of Leia's dress! Like I said--slacking... ;) The hair looks amazing, and the trim detailing is wonderful--a little more contrast would help define the folding more, but I also see that the "bounced lighting" they used in the original reference photo makes the actual drapery harder to define--so the lighting and shadows in your drawing are correct.

It's cool to see how everyone approaches this sort of exercise--different media, different techniques. Now we just need to get everyone else going! Come on, folks--the deadline is the 16th! :D **waves "Art Class" flags**

FF
  9. BigFatty Jedi Master

star 4
    I will admit, I was quite intimidated with this assignment. But for not having drawn a thing in six weeks, I'm quite happy with the results.

The two things I focused on were the fabric and the pose. I hope you guys approve...

[image=http://s19.photobucket.com/albums/b157/sea102883/Art/leiasketch.jpg]
  10. Fenrisulven Jedi Knight

star 1
    Hooray, artclass! Finally made me draw some StarWars. Haven't drawn a proper StarWars-drawing since april. Here's mine:
    http://www.deviantart.com/view/36135196/

She even got a last-minute face.
  11. SilSolo Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Art bunny alert! Anyhow, if you've linked to DevArt, I've posted my critiques there. If not, I'll get around to commenting. I think I might already have a chibi Leia in a white dress, but the problem with that is that I, being the incurable doodler that I am, drew it on top of a graph.
  12. SilSolo Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Please tell me that I did not kill this thread. I know I'm kinda good at that.
  13. HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist

star 6
    The current assignment was due yesterday, so now we're gonna look at all the submissions and hold a group critique. Feel free to start with anyone's work and we'll go from there. :)
  14. FalconFan Jedi Master

star 4
    ...resurrecting Art Class from page 2...

[face_sheepish]

I'm for going with our submissions in order of posting, so will start off the critiques with odj's drawing. I'll go ahead and put up both the reference image and the artwork again here, so you can see both.

Padme-Desert Dress:

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/HSolo29/class-4.jpg]

odj's drawing:

[image=http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/5051/scan1004358ky.jpg]

First--big kudos, odj, for taking on what I considered to be the toughest of the choices for this assignment. As I've already mentioned , I tried to work with this photo once before and it gave me fits, so I opted out of Padme's dress! The accuracy of the delineations of the folds is amazing: all over the garment, you've shown virtually every crease and fold, of which there are many. Particularly over the shoulder area and around the hips, the attention to the details are amazing. The sleeves are draped beautifully, and the trim detail is again very accurately rendered. All in all, I think my only critique on this piece (aside of my own rather personal unease with her being headless! ;) ) is the lack of actual shading to help "volumize" the draping--to make it advance and recede to the eye. The proportion of the figure (as much as is rendered) is wonderful, and again--the accuracy of your capture of the folding is awesome. A beautiful effort!

FF
  15. FalconFan Jedi Master

star 4
    **kicks Art Class back to the top**

Okay peeps! Let's be brave and post some critiques! This is how we can help each other learn, by sharing what we see in someone else's drawing--critique is my own Number 1 tool! :D

Since it's kind of pointless to critique one's own artwork (it usually ends up too easy or too harsh...), I'll move on to the next submission after mine, from PadawanDi. She, too, did the more difficult Padme dress (kudos!):

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/HSolo29/class-4.jpg]
    Padme Desert Dress

[image=http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/2941/padmears9ij.jpg]
    PadawanDi's drawing

Again--I commend attempting (what I considered to be) the most difficult of the choices--and quite a beautiful job of it, too! I mentioned earlier in the thread that it seemed to me that the shading was a little "light," but that the shadows in the original photo were also light: the photo was taken with soft, low-angle natural light and a "fill-flash," which washed out a lot of the natural shadowing. So I'll retract that original statement--the shadows as rendered are actually quite accurate (and even in the photo, there aren't a lot of "dark" contrasts from which to work). The sleeves in particular are lovely, with the shading and trim detail looking almost perfect to me. The folds and gathers across the bodice and around the hips are nicely done, and the skirt looks wonderful, particularly the little forward sweep of fabric around her right side. Where the shading is emphasized--and enhanced, it seems, with some erasure "highlights"--it's quite lovely, and gives a good depth to the figure/garment. A beautiful effort with a difficult subject--lovely, PadawanDi! :D

FF

**hopes she won't be the only one offering critique**
    [face_worried]
  16. Nidrail Moderator Emeritus

star 3
    RATS!! I managed to miss this thread completely!! oh well i have to wait until round 2.

As for critiques, I am having real trouble finding anything in FF's drawing that could be better, except the face, which there wasn't much emphasis on, AND it is small which is the hardest to make look perfect. I think if her face were slightly wider on the left (my left) and her eyes were less dark and maybe a little smaller, it would be perfect. But the clothes, arm, hand & blaster I don't see anything wrong with. Yeah, some help I am! [face_tounge] Also my little brother insisted on telling you he loves that drawing of Leia :) he said '
    WOW thats really good!" lol :)

And ODJ's is wonderful, I think the lines could have been a little cleaner but with pens that is extremely difficult. The only thing it needs is some shading to bring the '3dness' to life, if you will. Other than that I think you got all the folds right and the shape, and it looks great!

Big Fatty, your drawing is great for not drawing for so long!! I think more shading would bring the clothes more to life and make her pop out of the picture more. Also her stance was not 'perfect' to the picture, but I do know how difficult that is to emmulate (sp?). Other than that once again this wasn't about facial features so that's certainly fine!

Fenrisulven... really cool! I think to make that one better, her shoulders needed to be sloped down more, more relaxed, and her arm needed to be lower and more angled to the left of the picture. Also in the picture her leaning stance is more 'severe' than in the drawing, which is alright, somthing to practice on. I for one am forever working on such things in my own drawings :)
    Lastly the lines could maybe have been a little cleaner, and also her left shoe (my right) is slightly elongated... don't know quite how to describe that one. But overall it was a wonderful picture, and really great!

PadawanDi... Wow, the shading is awesome!! I am always complaining about the lines, though, and I think they could have been a little more defined. Also to be picky in the drawing her head is more leaning foreword than it is in the picture. Other than that, its awesome!!

Take care and God bless!
    ~N
  17. HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist

star 6
    I would like to thank those of you participating and "kickstarting" this thread, if you will. Thanks for the support! [:D]

I'm just gonna go through these and point out things one at a time as they're mentioned.

I'll start out by adding onto what was said regarding odj's piece. Yes, it was a difficult task to approach this using a pen and I have to comment that the line work is outstanding. However, I think it really detracts from the overall drawing and the point of the assignment to not have any kind of shading. The lighting was a major theme in this assignment - almost as much as the rendering itself. One thing that I think would help to add some "depth" and mimic the act of shading is varying your line weights just a bit more. Make the lines further away from us lighter and those close up thicker. Other than that, I think you did a find job rendering the dress itself.

I have to agree with everything FalconFan said regarding PadawanDi's drawing. The lower half of the dress is really gorgeous and I'm really digging the work you've done on the sleeve. The fabric lays almost perfectly and I really have to commend you on that one.

FalconFan, I'll have to repeat what I said above to PadawanDi. You did a fabulous job rendering the folds and there's not really much to pick out in terms of improvement. Of course, I could point out some things in the face, but that wasn't the main focus here and I'm sure that's what you were thinking as well. ;) The lower half of the dress just simply pops at me and the subtle lights and darks in the upper torso(it almost looks like a haze effect), is just great. Love it! :)
  18. FalconFan Jedi Master

star 4
    Getting back to the task of critique:

BigFatty's was next in line:

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/HSolo29/class-1.jpg]
    Leia-White Dress-Standing

[image=http://s19.photobucket.com/albums/b157/sea102883/Art/leiasketch.jpg]
    Sara's drawing

The general capture of the figure is fairly good, though the top of her body appears a bit small compared to the lower part. The lines of the dress as it falls from her form are very accurate until the right (Leia's right) hip--here it seems to flare out, rather than to fall straight down as it does in the photo; this alters the "visual weight" of the fabric, making it look less "drapey" than in the reference. The folding all looks well-rendered, too, though some darker contrasts in the shading would have helped to give more depth to that folding. You have done what HanSolo29 suggested above, however, for a linework-type piece: the varying of the line heaviness actually gives us some depth. BTW--I love how you drew her gun hand, and that great big blaster! ;) This is a very good effort, and hopefully one of many we'll see from you here, Sara! :D

FF
  19. Nidrail Moderator Emeritus

star 3
    SSooo.... anyone else?
  20. FalconFan Jedi Master

star 4
    Yes, yes!!
    **rushes back in to finish with critiques**
    I wanted to get to the last submission before we're halfway through August--thanks for the "push" Nidrail! :D

Fenrisulven's drawing:

[image=http://ic1.deviantart.com/fs11/i/2006/192/9/5/Princess_Leia_by_Drak_Joen.jpg]

Leia--White Dress Standing:

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/HSolo29/class-1.jpg]

First, I want to say wow on the beautiful contrasts you achieved in this drawing, Fenrisulven--they really are wonderful, and makes all the difference in being able to see the folding in the dress (and lol that we both wimped out on the "great big gun!"). There's a lot of detail in your drawing that I simply didn't see--the seam in her right sleeve, where it's folded back--the detailed buckle and pattern on her belt. You seem to have been able to pull out a lot of little things that I missed completely, and I think it adds a lot. The lights and darks on the bodice of her dress are wonderful, and really show that this fabric is draped over a body--likewise on the skirt. Very nice rendering of drapery (not that that's a surprise, tho, considering it's you! :p ), and very true to the photograph.

FF
  21. Nidrail Moderator Emeritus

star 3
    lol @ FF
    [:D]

I missed the first round :( so I'm looking foreward to the second!!! I can't wait to get drawing lol
  22. semicooke Legacy Concept Artist

VIP
    star 1
    Okay, here it goes. Hope I'm not stepping on any toes here.

I always find it hard to critque work based on photo/life referrence, especially my own, without putting them visually close together to get an immediate grasp on whats going on. It's easier on the eyes. :) There are two real forces at work when it comes to drapery, gravity and the object resisting it, in this case, the body. Rendering realistic drapery rest upon your knowledge of both. (A third lesser but still important factor is wrapping or tension, as seen on Padme's torso.)

Let's look at the Leia Drawings:

[image=http://www.seancooke.com/tfn/LEIAsource.jpg]

Here we have FF's, BigFatty's and Fenrisulven's.
    They are all done in a shading style, their forms are well represented. For these, lets talk about the underlying body.

What helps makes cloth look like it's correctly hanging off a human body? A correct human body.

A believable underlying structure(and I know it's no easy task to master) can make a mediocre rendering of the actual folds seems much more realistic. And even if you get the most accurate depiction of folds and creases rendered, if its on a poorly shapen body, your drapery is all for not. :(

Slight tangent: Think of the angles of the human body at rest and how they effect fabric.

[image=http://www.seancooke.com/tfn/LEIAsource2.jpg]

Try to think of the 'hanging' spots. Remember, on poses of little to no action, whenever there is enough slack in the material, it's going to try to run straight down. Without acknowledgement of that fact, your drawings can look 'flighty', 'dreamlike' or not grounded. Those areas where as soon as the fabric is free of the 'object' it's going to try and make a b-line for the good 'ol terra firma. Think about the shoulders, the elbows, the hips, the wrists.

How about the Padme Drawings:

[image=http://www.seancooke.com/tfn/PADMEsource.jpg]

Here's ODJ's and padawanDi's.
    Two different styles but both have well placed folds/creases and a good understanding of form. For this image of Padme, the most obvious effects on the drapery are gravity and the wrapping of the cloth to define the form. (Notice how once the fabric is 'freed', it runs relatively straight to the sand with only minor variations)

[image=http://www.seancooke.com/tfn/PADMEsource2.jpg]

On the subject of wrapping, really think about the body in three dimensions. Try to visualize the fabric actually talking to you (stay with me here :) ), describing the form underneath, letting you know what the surface is like.
    In many instructional books it is said that the lines and folds of fabric running along a surface always 'point' to the sources of tension. Think of a man in a button up and tie. He keeps his waist straight and turns his upper body to the right. Imagine all those creases that run from where each particular piece of shirt happens to be tucked into his pants(tension point 1: because the fabric tucked in can't go anywhere else) all the way up to his neck or shoulder area (tension point 2: because the collar is rigid and static and must stay with the neck wherever it goes ).

Hope this was helpful and good job all!
  23. Sith-Lord-Gunray Ex-Mod

star 7
    So... when does the second round start up? Or can we still post for the first? It ended quite some time ago...
  24. Nidrail Moderator Emeritus

star 3
    This, then, is the question on a few of our minds. Where oh where is our beloved moderator, Han solo? At any rate some of us are having terrible storms (and when thats not the case, the internet is acting up) so perhaps she doesn't have her internet back yet.
  25. HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist

star 6
    Sorry, guys. I'm still here, just extremely busy with work. I only had one day off in a course of 2 weeks with quite a few 10 hour days throughout that time period. By the time I get on here, I don't feel like doing anything.

I'll try to have a new topic up tomorrow, but I'm running low on ideas. Anything you guys would like to do before I go ahead and pull up something from my notes from school?
Moderators: Corellian_Outrider
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.