The Fan Sites Open Call Banner Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Sites' started by DVeditor, Dec 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DVeditor Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Welcome! This thread is the official gathering spot for those interested in creating banners for the Fan Sites forum. There are some very simple guidelines and helpful links below that will assist you in the creation of a banner, and as always please don't hesitate to ask if you have questions!

Why ask for new banners?
    Because we're looking for new material! :D The idea here is to gather banners over time so we can have a constant rotation of new banners.

When does this end?
    This is an open call thread, so there is no limitation or time constraint on when banners can be submitted. You are free to make as many as you like - just be aware that not all ideas will necessarily be used.

How do I make a banner?
    There is a great guide on how to make a banner in this thread. Please read through that thread (especially the first post) and make sure you understand what is needed with a banner. Also please make sure your images are properly sized and aligned before submitting!

What are the rules?
    The titles "TheForce.Net" and "Fan Sites Forum" must be visible, and images should represent web design and/or images from sites like StarWars.com, TheForce.Net, etc. You may also use images and other elements from sites that are announced in threads here in the forum, but please make sure you ask the owner's permission before doing so. :)

Who do I send my banner to?
    You may send your completed banner submission to DVeditor, and also feel free to post your work here for critique by other Fan Sites users.

What happens if my idea is chosen?
    If your banner is chosen for use in the Fan Sites forum, it will be submitted to the tech administrator here on the boards and put into rotation. Once uploaded you will receive VIP-ship for two weeks along with a title stating that you created a banner for Fan Sites. (Note that the title and VIP-ship are optional - it's just a way to thank you for your hard work.)

If you have questions, please either post them here or drop me a PM. :)

Have fun!
  2. Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Now, if I could make a banner I would, so for now I will just post an idea I had. Whoever decides to make a banner, I think, should look in the brand new index Sara created and take perhaps a snapshot of each site in there. The only thing I can really think of for a decent Fan Sites banner is a compilation of fan sites in said banner.

That's my two cents. [face_thinking]
  3. Sara_Kenobi Force Ghost

star 7
    Oh, this will be interesting. I don't recall Fan Site's ever having this before.
  4. Bacon164 Force Ghost

star 7
    This stuff is complicated. :oops:
  5. Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Hopefully this gets in the MS Update so people see it....
  6. Sara_Kenobi Force Ghost

star 7
    I've never seen a banner contest go on and it not be.
  7. darth_nemisis Force Ghost

star 6
    Oh man! I was hoping we would keep the old one! It was the first banner I saw on this site! Reminds me of the "old days". :p I was sad to see it go off the main banner last year, and will be sad to see it go here. :(
  8. Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Well, the old one is not really a Fan Sites banner at all. It's the generic TF.N banner and it just looks...bleh...
  9. Sara_Kenobi Force Ghost

star 7
    Agreed. It's an old one and needs to go. :p
  10. DVeditor Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I'm kinda a bit nostalgic of this one as well, but it would be good to get some actual Fan Sites banners into the system. Perhaps we can pull this one out every now and again once we get some others into the rotation. ;)

I'm going to leave a note in MS about the contest - if all goes well this will be included in the next update. :)
  11. Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Awesometastic

12. Sara_Kenobi Force Ghost

star 7
    That's good to know. They usually all bring some attention to them.
  13. Darth_Imran Jedi Master

star 4
    Oooooh. This should be fun.

I can't wait to get involved. I've got some good ideas. :)
  14. DVeditor Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Feel free to start anytime and either let me know or post your WIP here so we can see it. :)
  15. Bacon164 Force Ghost

star 7
    I could have had something, but getting the curve to match the banner, and the banner to match the background and the sidebar to match the curve is incredibly annoying. 8-}
  16. emimar Jedi Knight

star 3
    I would like to say that it's about time this issue was addressed - with all the web designers that visit here it shouldn't be a problem...

I would like to do something myself, but my computer still needs to be repared, but good luck to anyone who can make one!

I agree about rotating the banners - I have some for my site which I made for people to link back to my site, but I might start using them on my forum to change the look occassionally. It'll give us a chance to see people's work, as well.
  17. DVeditor Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Yeah, it's a slight pain when you first try it. :p One thing you can do though is make the entire banner all at once and slice it up later - that way you're not trying to make several smaller images match up. :)

Hope that helps!
  18. KudarMubat15 Jedi Knight

star 2
    I finished the banner, but I am having a little trouble understanding how to edit the CSS. I understand InvsionFree CSS, but whenever I try to edit this style sheet nothing happens...:(
  19. KenobisHeir Jedi Master

star 4
    I have no idea what style sheets are, but here's the image that I came up with.

Banner

I know it's pretty basic, but I just recently started using Photoshop. Is there anything else I need to do?
  20. Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus

star 5
    It's a nice start, but nothing about that banner screams Fan Sites.
  21. KudarMubat15 Jedi Knight

star 2
    I have completed my banner, but I still need to finish the ad holders and the style sheets. Here is how it looks so far:
    Banner
  22. DVeditor Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I like the look of that so far KudarMubat15. Part of me says it'd be nice to have another color in there somewhere to help flesh out the images a bit but I love the approach of using screengrabs like that. Be sure to post your completed version - I look forward to seeing it!

KenobisHeir - I sent you a PM about it, but in short I basically echo what jedimasterbac said above. If you could somehow relate a banner like that to this forum you'd have a good submission however right now it doesn't really pertain to this place yet. Great start though, keep those ideas going! :D
  23. KudarMubat15 Jedi Knight

star 2
    Thanks. Here are the almost completed test pages:
    Forum Veiw
    Topic Veiw

They are basically complete, except for one tiny thing... I could not find out what the "InputSection" and "InputNotes" areas did...
  24. Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Personally, I think it could use a few more pictures of websites, such as ones found in the Thread Index.
  25. KudarMubat15 Jedi Knight

star 2
    There is hardly any room left on the banner... Or do you mean to replace the old pictures with new ones that aren't forums?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.