main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Fan Sites Open Call Banner Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Fan Sites' started by DVeditor, Dec 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    I think it looks great as is. ;)

2. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    I really like the overall look of it too - perhaps it will encourage more banners of that style to be created as well. :D

3. emimar

emimar Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 3, 2003
    Perhaps it's just me, but I think the ideas need a little more colour - using a lot of grey and white reminds me of a corporate website, or one of those boring looking things that councils set up. What I like about well designed fan sites is that they have their own particular style that you can't find anywhere else and I think that should be incorporated into the banner. They are good for practising though.

4. DVeditor

Dec 21, 2001
    I totally agree - that's why we're allowing this banner thread to remain open for a long time. It allows people to not only practice and get better but also see what has been submitted in the past. :)

5. KenobisHeir

KenobisHeir Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 27, 2005
  6. Brandon Rhea

Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 26, 2004
    Again, it still doesn't really scream Fan Sites. It's a nice banner and all but the coding in the background isn't as noticible as the Star Wars characters, which really do not need to be on a Fan Sites banner. Take the Fan Films banner for instance. It has pictures from a lot of different Fan Films. Again, it's a very nice banner but really wouldn't work for Fan Sites.

7. emimar

emimar Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 3, 2003
    I think the font used needs to be changed as well, because it looks a little amaturish. I know of a site that allows you to download fonts and here's a link to it. Fonts Hope you can find some good ones there to play around with.

8. Dark-Enigma

Dark-Enigma Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 8, 2006
    Here is a new banner that I assembled for this forum. I'm fixing to get started on the style sheet, I just want to let everyone know what to expect. :)

9. darth_nemisis

darth_nemisis Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 2004
    I quite like that banner by KudarMubat15, but I agree, there could be more added to it.

I think I may give this a try. I have been looking up on how to make banners, and it is very much different than what I did for my site, as it is the same layout and everything. The only problem I will have is getting a banner...So, I will give this a try.

Edit: WEll, I have the skin layout...but no banner. I was hoping to get your guys comment on the style I have so far. Click here to see the three pages of styles that I have. There is the forum index, a thread, and the post page. The banner there is the banner of the RPF forum here. I just wanted your guys comments on the style before a banner was made.

10. Dark-Enigma

Feb 8, 2006
    It is quite an attractive style sheet, darth_nemisis, but if I may make one comment (strictly for improvement purposes), the light username colors look a little "off" against the dark background. May I suggest making the usernames a darker color?

11. darth_nemisis

May 15, 2004
    I understand...and slightly agree. So, I changed it. Check it now:

Click Here

I kind of like this one...But if you guys like something else...please tell me. :)

12. Dark-Enigma

Feb 8, 2006
    Very nice. :)

13. grievious

grievious Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 27, 2005
    This banner represents the people in here, it looks boring and gray. I have been checking out this "fansite thread" for a while, and really nobody posts anything usefull in here, It's just like the fan art thread. Everybody want there own thread, and expects everyone to add a reply, while not posting something on other topics. Really, you can even find better conversations on a graveyard... I don't think I impress anybody, but try to bring this thread back to life again...

14. darth_nemisis

May 15, 2004
    If I am not mistaken, this is not a social forum, no "conversations" are suppose to be going on unless it is about a site. Just like the Fan Art forum, this forum is for people to present their work to others and have them critique it, negatively or positively, whichever. The people who post in this forum enjoy it because they like to see what other people do with their websites, and like to help others out. If you do not enjoy to post in this forum and want to bash those who do, perhaps you shouldn't post here. :)

15. DVeditor

Dec 21, 2001
    I agree with what was just said - this is a place for feedback and constructive criticism on fan-created websites. There's a social thread for anything other than web-related discussion, and we're trying to find new ways to bring life to this place. If you feel that the banner is one of the main reasons for that why not try to make one instead of complaining? :)

In response to the above banner images and stylesheets:

darth_nemisis - I love just about any style done in red and black. :cool: Nicely done and perhaps we can find a banner that would be able to use it sometime if you don't end up making one. ;)

Dark-Enigma - that's not a bad start at all for a banner, but one thing you need to make sure you alter is the placement of the forum title. It needs to be more on the main image than the background one so it stays towards the left side of the screen. That way regardless of the screen resolution people use they'll be able to see the title. :)

16. darth_nemisis

May 15, 2004
    Well, see, I am not much of a graphics person, so I probably will not be able to make one. I believe I have photoshop, so I may try something. If not, I have two options: 1.) I am in contact with Vassago to see if he can get a banner done. He has not really done anything with it. Or 2.) Someone else can make one and see how it works.

Would anybody be willing?

17. Dark-Enigma

Feb 8, 2006
    I would love to help out, nemisis. Toss me a PM with what you would like to see. :)

How's this Veditor?

18. DVeditor

Dec 21, 2001
    The text placement is much better, but I'm still not sure about the choice of images just as was the case with one that KenobisHeir was working on. The code and such is heading the right direction, but IMHO if you're going to use images of Star Wars characters it'd be best to blend them with more web-based elements to help fit this forum. :) I think you're on the right track though so keep at it! :D

19. Dark-Enigma

Feb 8, 2006
    What do you mean by blending them with web-based elements?

20. KudarMubat15

KudarMubat15 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 18, 2005
    I think he means like websites and stuff.

And, incase you don't know, you can edit-copy a website by simply pressing Alt Print Screen.

21. darth_nemisis

May 15, 2004
    OKay...Dark-Enigma has made a banner...but I cannot figure out how to get it onto my stylesheet...Any help?

22. Brandon Rhea

Jun 26, 2004
    It seems to me that some people are having a hard time grasping what we are looking for in a banner. Some of these banners with Star Wars characters on them are very good and I would reccomend showing them to the Star Wars Saga forum, but what we're looking for is something like this that Kudar posted about a month ago. It needs to do more than just say "Fan Sites", it needs to SCREAM "Fan Sites". Look at the banner over at Fan Films. It has incorporated stills from many great Fan Films created by fans. A banner for Fan Sites should incorporate images from the many great Fan Sites created by the fans, many of which can be found in our wonderful Thread Index.

Also, I highly reccomend putting up Kudar's banner very soon, if that's alright with him.

23. darth_nemisis

May 15, 2004
    Well, here is the banner that was made for me:

http://darnem.farvista.net/images/banner.jpg

What do you guys think. I am attempting to get that on to my stylesheet...But I don't know how.

24. Brandon Rhea

Jun 26, 2004
    That link does not work.

25. darth_nemisis

May 15, 2004
    My apologies...Here is one:

http://img160.imageshack.us/img160/7855/fsb29ff.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.