The Fan Sites Open Call Banner Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Sites' started by DVeditor, Dec 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bacon164 Force Ghost

star 7
    It was a hint that I was in a rather jumpy mood at the time I happened to be posting that message, I guess.
  2. morpher-2005 Jedi Master

star 4
    You know, the current banner has the exact same design as the one I used on my ePortfolio for my computer work at school...weired.

Anyway, I know I don't visit here much, but I'd love to make a banner. Gimme an hour or two and then I'll submit.
  3. Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Just make sure it actually has something to do with Fan Sites. We've had a few that were really good but they were more Star Wars Saga oriented.
  4. morpher-2005 Jedi Master

star 4
    OK, it's gunna take me longer than I thought, but here's what I have so far:
    [image=http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a50/4dstudios/fansitesbannercopy.jpg]
    I'd say it's about 66% done. Just needs some stuff in the far right (there's going to be another astro-droid with some technical stuff) and the side part needs doing, but I quite like the way it's turning out. Yeah, I would have finished today but I was out and about. Just out of interest, can anyone provide me with a list or something that shows what banners are currently in rotation and when they go up etc. It would be much appriciated :D.
  5. darth_nemisis Force Ghost

star 6
    WEll, of course this one we have currently. Also, mine, if it's added.

I have updated mine a bit, as requested by some people. Click again on the grey/black versions.

Click Me
  6. Bacon164 Force Ghost

star 7
    You might want to make that gradient a little longer in height for 800x600 users.
  7. darth_nemisis Force Ghost

star 6
    Could you possibly provide a screenshot so I can see what you are talking about?
  8. Bacon164 Force Ghost

star 7
    Sure.

[image=http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b105/164Bacon164/Random%20Pictures/blargha.jpg]

It's only a problem on the Logged In As: Row.
  9. darth_nemisis Force Ghost

star 6
    Ahhh...okay. I will see what I can do. Thanks for bringing that to my attention. :)
  10. darth_nemisis Force Ghost

star 6
    I have updated my banner, and added an extra length to the gradient. I tested it, and it seemed to work just fine for the 800x600 people. :)
  11. YodaJeff Manager Emeritus

star 7
    Honestly, I'd rather have a layout that has general Fan Sites-related items, instead of one that explicitly advertises a select few websites (especially since at least one isn't exactly best friends with TFN). I'd prefer something that shows various aspects of making websites - a SW image open in photoshop, a text editor, a code validator, etc.
  12. Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus

star 5
    There can be a banner like that, but I don't see any problem in having one that has a few bigger-name sites on it. I'm sure DV agrees when I say Fan Sites could do well with a wide variety of banners.
  13. YodaJeff Manager Emeritus

star 7
    Sure, there's nothing wrong with a variety of banners, but most of the people responsible for designing those sites don't even post here (and like I said in my last post, at least one of those sites historically has not gotten along well with TFN). Also, this forum focuses on designing fan sites, not just discussing random fan sites.
  14. DVeditor Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Right now I'm trying to find stuff that promotes the forum and the resources available inside - so I guess you could say it's a mixture of both right now. ;) Perhaps more of a concrete mission statement would help direct the creation of these in the future...I'll see if I can work on something that will help make it easier for people to know what needs to be focused on. :)

15. darth_nemisis Force Ghost

star 6
    I had always assumed this forum was for discussion on fan sites in general, and for user to display theirs here. That's why I include fan sites in my banner. I see one thread where we discuss the designing of fan sites...
  16. DVeditor Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Yeah I definitely think I need to come up with something in that case. While I want to facilitate both sides of the coin, we need to make sure we're not coming off as a purely promotional forum. As soon as my internet is back to normal I hope to have more info on how we may be able to do this. :)
  17. Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus

star 5
    I'll help you out with that if you'd like.
  18. darth_nemisis Force Ghost

star 6
    I could help out too.

Any word on my banner? :)
  19. DVeditor Manager Emeritus

star 6
    It's in the works. ;) Though we'll have to wait until the servers come back online either way. :p

20. DVeditor Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Okay, I'm really swamped with a college project as of late but this one was recently added to the server so it's going up! Thanks to nemisis for the effort and waiting for everything to be worked out. :D

That said, I want to clarify something for banner work starting from this point forward. I think we as a forum need to be more about running sites then we do promoting them. So from here on out let's try to keep the banners pointed more towards what it takes to build/design/maintain a website rather than highlight specific ones.

I'm not pointing fingers at anyone of course, just thinking out loud and trying to shift the focus of what newcomers see the point of this forum being. It's obvious to me that things like the "join my site" topic need to be emphasized more heavily and that we need to make sure the majority of discussion is about the sites themselves rather than the "please sign up" topics. :)

Sound good? Feel free to post any thoughts or PM me if you want to talk about anything I mentioned.
  21. darth_nemisis Force Ghost

star 6
    Awesome! Though, it appears my gradients are a bit...messed up. Perhaps I can make knew ones...

Sounds good. I may begin working on another by the time summer starts. It sure is cool seeing my work put up around here. :)
  22. Pat5451 Jedi Master

star 4
    I don't think anyone else noticed this, and if they did then I didn't see it, but if you look at the sider bar, the third phrase are the initials of the New Sith Order[face_plain]
  23. DVeditor Manager Emeritus

star 6
    That's exactly why I wanted to get this one uploaded, the more stuff we have to work with and learn from the better we can get. I think this is the last one we'll put up that features individual sites and now move towards banners that lean in the direction of what I posted earlier. :)

I'll take a look at those gradients and talk to gabe - probably just a wrong URL somewhere. ;)

Oh and in case anyone is wondering, I'm going to put these and future banners on rotation so we can see all the stuff people have created. I want to make sure we're saying thanks to those that put the effort forth!
  24. darth_nemisis Force Ghost

star 6
    Sounds good. As I told you, this summer I will work on one that focuses on the creation of sites, rather than main sites.

And uh...sorry, I had to take these colors...I just don't feel right without them. :p
  25. DDL Jedi Master

star 4

I noticed that. I couldn't make out the last word on the second set...I have "star wars" but I can't read the last one because it was too dark, with the dark grey backgrond. But if you have the NSO in there, you have to have the JT. LOL. :p

Nemisis, I love the banner! :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.