main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Fan Sites Social Thread says Final Exams are EVIL

Discussion in 'Archive: Fan Sites' started by jedi-mind-trick, Feb 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Kev-Mas_Colcha Force Ghost star 5

Dec 15, 2002
    I'm only taking two... Its kinda annoying though, because these two subjects are classes I could have tested out of easily. The low difficulty of the "Web Development" class is especially irritating. It turns out there's nothing new for me to learn there.

Another irritating thing is the fact that the teacher of the generic computer class (which I had to take for the degree I'm going for, and had I registered on time I would have just opted to test out of it) thinks us all to be idiots, to the point where I'm not allowed to use my laptop in class, even though I have all the programs needed, for the fear/excuse of the possibility of me "needing help" that I can't get without being on a class PC. If I can do the assignments at home, why do you think I need your help while I'm in class?! GAH!

This is going to be a very frustrating first few years of college. Its amazing how much even the American College System thinks everyone to be dummies. Low level prerequisites should not be required for degree programs and especially higher level classes. Most likely the degree level student who has the ability to graduate is going to either test out of it, or ace the class without giving it much thought.

2. Trika_Kenobi

Trika_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 4, 1999
    Story. Of. My. Life. Hopefully you'll be onto some more challenging classes soon. It sucks to be in classes you know you shouldn't have to take. I tested out of a class before and then, after a transfer, had the new school tell me that even though the class would transfer, the "testing out" part would have to be done again. What kind of sense does that make? Ugh. :p

3. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    Hopefully I'll be able to skip a few of those kinds of classes when I get to college.

4. Trika_Kenobi

Nov 4, 1999
    What are you thinking of studying once you get to college, Gunny? I've skipped around a bit in that department, too. :p

5. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    I'm not sure. Still have a year to go until I have to make a decision.

6. Trika_Kenobi

Nov 4, 1999
    When I was a junior in high school, I thought for sure I wanted to be a mathematician or a chemist. By my senior year, I was about to hurt myself doing pretty intensive calculus and physics, and I thought I might want to move forward with something like journalism. Things definitely can switch over a year! [face_laugh]

And now I'm a computer scientist. Closer to math than I probably would have thought... I somehow survived all those classes after all! :p

7. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    Math just isn't my calling card, and I doubt that it ever will be.

8. Trika_Kenobi

Nov 4, 1999
    You like sciences or humanities more, Gunny? Sciences will likely get you deeper into math than you'll like. :p

9. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    Not science, that's for sure.

10. Trika_Kenobi

Nov 4, 1999
    I thought journalism might be my cup of tea a few years ago. I decided I didn't want to write about what other people wanted me to write about, though. :p

I do have a couple of friends, one of whom majored in English and is now a teacher, and another who was a psychology major and now works in a fish market. Choose your humanities carefully. :p

11. darth_nemisis

darth_nemisis Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 2004
    Hey, hey everyone!! [face_peace] I figured I'd come back for a while. This forum is easy to keep up with since not many people post. :p

College talk going on in here? Trika, you seem to have been in the same boat I was/am in. I initially came in thinking about being a Math teacher. Then, I took Calculus 2 and 3 and decided that it was not for me (waaaay too hard :p). Then I was thinking about journalism. Looked into that, decided not to. Now, I am officially in Computer Science! :D

12. Trika_Kenobi

Nov 4, 1999
    Whoa! nemisis! Where the heck have you been, man?! How 'bouts ya figure you come back for a long while, eh? :p

Wanting to be a math teacher? Ugh. Sounds painful. I took math until my eyeballs hurt for computer science, but at least I decided against being a pure mathematician. :p

13. darth_nemisis

May 15, 2004
    I would like to! I am going to try! ;)

And, I decided not to be a math teacher, rather a computer science major! :D I am thinking about going into Law Enforcement and using the CS major in that field.

14. Trika_Kenobi

Nov 4, 1999
    Computer science is such a good field. Very diverse in regards to different paths to take. Are you thinking about doing something similar to cyber crime analysis or protection? That would be nifty! :)

15. darth_nemisis

May 15, 2004
    Yeah, I think that would be awesome. Ideally, I want to end up with the FBI. We'll see how that goes. :p

16. Trika_Kenobi

Nov 4, 1999
    What kinds of classes are you taking right now?

17. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    Whoa! Nem's back! :eek:

18. darth_nemisis

May 15, 2004
    Hey there JEDIGUNSHIP! I'm liking your colored name!

19. Trika_Kenobi

Nov 4, 1999
    It's red and shiny. And everyone knows we all like shiny things.

20. darth_nemisis

May 15, 2004
    Indeed.

So, where is jedimasterbac at these days? Seems to be absent from the Fan Sites forum...

21. Trika_Kenobi

Nov 4, 1999
    He's... napping. Somewhere in the closet where all the code-pounders are kept.

22. darth_nemisis

May 15, 2004
    Ah, I see.

So, what sorts of stuff do you have going on in your life, Trika?

23. Trika_Kenobi

Nov 4, 1999
    Well, as you might have noticed in my signature, I'm headed overseas soon! I'm getting ready to head across the U.S. for some training in the next week or so. It'll take a couple of months before I actually make it overseas, so until then, I'm just preparing to get thrown around by a bunch of military dudes. [face_beatup]

24. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    So, are you still going to be around on the boards during that time, Trika?

25. Trika_Kenobi

Nov 4, 1999
    Yeeeees, sir! :) I should have pretty steady Internet access in actual training locations and while overseas. Travel to and from may make my time online a bit sporadic at times, but that's pretty normal for anyone going across eight or nine time zones. :p

I'll definitely be around, and I'll definitely make sure that everyone hears from me often enough. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.