main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Fan Sites Social Thread says Final Exams are EVIL

Discussion in 'Archive: Fan Sites' started by jedi-mind-trick, Feb 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AERYN_SUN

AERYN_SUN Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 1, 2001
    Thanks, Aanix. How's yours going?

~aeryn

2. Aanix_Durray

Aanix_Durray Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 29, 2001
    Pretty well, actually, I've got most is not all of the pages built, it's the gathering of material that I'm finding to be the most difficult. My archive won't take submission cause I'm too picky, so I have to find stories I like, and then one by one, ask the authors if I can use them.

I haven't added a FanArt section as of yet, but I plan to later on. I also plan on having essays on Obi-wan (since he's the site's theme) and the many facets of his character.

Needless to say, it'll be a long while till I get the whole thing up and running... though if you wanted to see a preview, I'd love to get some first impressions on the design.

-~Aanix~-

3. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Im finally getting photoshop and a scanner so i can really fix up my website. I got a nice new dell which moves alot faster and it came with a trial of paintshop pro so i played around with that.

4. AERYN_SUN

Apr 1, 2001
    I just sketched out a new layout the other day during lunch for Fated to Be, but it doesn't use image maps. Just regular link navigation. :(

~aeryn

5. Aanix_Durray

Dec 29, 2001
    Well, it really all depends on what works for you and your site, since link navigation wouldn't really fit with the design I've got, I chose to go with image maps (since I'm not in the mood to learn flash or anything fancy to make menus right now).

But link navigation is what a lot of sites use, (TF.N included) so it's not as if you're alone in that choice :)

~Aanix

6. LittleJedi

LittleJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 2001
    *plonks her backside down on a beanbag*

How art thou all?

I must admit that I've never made a SW fan site, but I do code web pages in my spare time for fun because I enjoy it so. :D I wound up making homepages (ie, the one that you see when you open your browser) for all my friends in my boarding house.

Heh, who needs to do homework when you can be coding with notepad anyway? ;) :p

LittleJedi

7. AERYN_SUN

Apr 1, 2001
    I just recently figured out image maps, so I was very excited when I tried it out and it worked.

~aeryn

8. Aanix_Durray

Dec 29, 2001
    Yah, what I hate is when you write the code, it looks good, and then all of the sudden it doesn't work and you have no idea how to fix it. That's why, though I know how to do image without it, I use Photoshop 7 and Image Ready to make mine. I have to tidy up the code afterwards, but it's generally easier.

~Aanix

9. Tahiri

Tahiri Jedi Master star 4

Apr 9, 2001
    Bout time there was a board like this 8-} I've been lurking since this board opened. Dropped by in the social thread to say hello :)

10. Heather_Skywalker

Heather_Skywalker Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 13, 2002
    Hey to all!

I was just wondering, becuase that's me :p , in the coding do you put the scroll bar color code before, after or in your frame code?

Aanix I wait to see your new site ;)

11. Stridarious

Stridarious Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 27, 2002
    Hello everyone! How are you all? Man, this is some day! 8-}

12. AERYN_SUN

Apr 1, 2001
    , in the coding do you put the scroll bar color code before, after or in your frame code?

what are asking specifically about scroll bars? how to make it colored or how to remove/add scroll bars? i know adding color requires css styles.

if you want to add a scroll bar, "yes", "no" if you don't want it or "auto" which means if a scroll bar is needed, it will be there but if it's not, it won't be there.

~aeryn

13. AERYN_SUN

Apr 1, 2001
    sorry if this is a double post.

i just applied to the fanlistings.network. i tried applying before but under the relationship category. didn't work, so i tried under the fanfiction category.

~aeryn

14. AERYN_SUN

Apr 1, 2001
    my site is now approved by the fanlisting network. i spent some time revising a lot of my pages. but yay, it's finally a fanlisting :D

~aeryn

15. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    congrats on getting listed aeryn! :)

so how's everyone doing? i've been spending a lot of my time lately looking at code on various fan force boards for ideas. i've been making a banner/color scheme of my own for my fan force, rmff. you'd be suprised what some of them look like. the css seems to be taking the longest to get a handle on. there's a lot of things you can do with it as far a the page headers go.

what's everyone been working on lately?
    who needs some inspiration? ;)

16. Aanix_Durray

Dec 29, 2001
    Wow, this board is actually picking up :)

I've kind of abandoned my fansite project for the time being (and I'm not sure if I'm going to pick it up again), simply because I wouldn't have the time to maintain it, and I'd like to have unique content, which is hard to get together. So I've been working on my personal site, also a chore, but I'm looking into layers (an element I haven't use before since I'm only generally proficient at HTML and CSS) as a means of a second layout for that site, since now I'm just using a plain tables/css design with funky graphics). I'd love to get some opinions on the site soon. Other than that... just enjoying the life of the Technopagan ;)

~Aanix

17. gupta-veSa

gupta-veSa Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 7, 2001
    Other than that...just enjoying the life of the Technopagan [face_laugh]

so what's involved with using layers? will you be using css for that (ie z-index)?

18. Aanix_Durray

Dec 29, 2001
    Other than that...just enjoying the life of the Technopagan [face_laugh]

Lol, I figured I needed a name that didn't read Geek... I like Technopagan and Neohippie... that and you know, the whole philosophy behind them, but that's not important ;) . With all my interest in the occult and my affinity for the web, either one fits :)

so what's involved with using layers? will you be using css for that (ie z-index)?

I have very little knowledge currently regarding layers, but as far as I can tell, CSS will be a big factor. I can code CSS and HTML pretty efficiently, but I do have to look up the codes every once in a while, so the issue will just be getting the code right in my head... I only have a vague knowledge of what z-index means, but I assume you're talking about the position of the layers in regards to what priority of display they have over other elements and images... but yeah, I've been looking at other sites that use Layers and seeing how they go about it, that and web tutorials are how I've learned my stuff.

You have any layer-expertize (SP?) ?

~Aanix

19. gupta-veSa

gupta-veSa Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 7, 2001
    not really. only what i've read up on and experimented with (ony a couple times). i'm thinking of possibly using layers on my website though. if you have any tips, i hope you wouldn't mind throwing them my way aanix! :)

20. AERYN_SUN

Apr 1, 2001
    i have finished working a new layout for obidala sanctuary, v4.7 obidala fan art Obidala Sancutary

~aeryn

21. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    great job aeryn! :)

where did you get that posting utility on the right side? i'd love to have one of those on my site.

22. AERYN_SUN

Apr 1, 2001
    it's called tag-board. Tag-board

Oh, now for my big news. No, I don't have another website. But my Jacen/Tahiri fanlisting finally has a shorter url. Tainted Love

Hmm, maybe I can do that for E.S.M.A, too.

EDIT: No, I won't change e.s.m.a's url. it's signature url must end in esindex and be a long one. :D

~aeryn

23. Phatooine

Phatooine Jedi Youngling

Jul 6, 2003
    [edited]

YJ edit: Social threads are for socializing, not advertising

24. Princess-Leah

Princess-Leah Sketch Card Artist star 5 VIP

Jun 12, 2001
    Hi!

I'm new here to this social thread. Have been checking out the Fan Sites section for a little while now. Posted once or twice. But, I thought I'd come by and say hi!

PL

25. AERYN_SUN

Apr 1, 2001
    I am very dissappointed. I don't know when it happened but the link to my fanlisting on the official site fanlistings network isn't listed there anymore.

I'd been working on this fanlisting, in the creation of it for a long time and it was finally approved last spring and now, it isn't even listed there anymore.

I'm just lost my love for even working on the site. It's very sad.

~aeryn

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.