main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource The Fanfic Writer's Help and Information Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by rogue11lovesjag, May 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rogue11lovesjag

rogue11lovesjag Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 13, 2002
    Hi, everyone. This thread, given mod approval by our wonderful Am, is designed to help every fanfic author on the boards.

Ask any question you want about Star Wars, and I'll try to get the answer to you. From a complete list of Rogue Squadron in the Wraith Squadron books, to a list of the Imperial Moffs in the NJO, to what exactly it was Han said in Planet of Twilight to just what did Anakin do in Rogue Planet, I'm here to help.

I would like to keep chatter down to a minimum, so people can find everything. I'm going to have a master list of questions and answers on this first post. Either pm me with a question or post it here and I'll do my best to get the answer for you.

~Rogue

Rogue11 has retired, so please post your questions directly to the thread. --Renata

On this page:

A catalog of Vong occupied, shaped and destroyed planets.
    ***The remaining books in the NJO as of 5/10/03.
    ***Leia's adopted family and their status at the time of the destruction of Alderaan.
    ***The status of the senate, the Jedi Council, and Jedi protocol during the NJO.
    ***A Vong bestiary.
    ***How badly the Vong destroyed Coruscant.
    ***If the Empire destroyed any ruins on Yavin 4 after the destruction of the first Death Star.

On Page 2

***Are there vampires in the Star Wars universe?
    ***What's the difference between a Dark Jedi and a Sith, and are the Sith always in pairs?
    ***Fruit in the GFFA?
    ***Capitalization of titles
    ***Alderaani or Alderaanian?
    ***Link to a dictionary of Yuuzhan Vong words

On Page 3

***A list of the fruit in the GFFA
    ***When is the novelization of Episode 3 coming out?
    ***What happened to the Kuat Drive Yards after the battle of Endor?
    ***Maps of Jabba's Palace?
    ***The Official Unofficial description of Alderaan.

On Page 4

***What is the plant Wookiees use to make their belts?
    ***Where in the GFFA is Gand?
    ***Who founded Black Sun, when and how?
    ***Is there a calendar in the GFFA?

On Page 5

***How long after the events of RoTJ did Luke Skywalker marry Mara Jade?
    ***When was their son, Ben, born? (i.e. how many years after the events of RoTJ)
    ***How many years post RoTJ was the Jedi Academy set up?
    ***When did the first batch of Jedi Knights graduate from the academy?
    ***Approximately how many years did it take for a Jedi to qualify? (How old would he/she be when they qualified as opposed to the time taken in the Old Jedi Order)
    ***Kyp just kind of disappeared after getting Jaina in FH1. Did it say where he went, for how long, and why?
    ***How much time has elapsed between the beginning of Remnant and the end of Reunion (FH1 and FH3)?
    ***What are the ages of the main characters? Are the Solo twins still 19, Kyp still 34 or 35, etc. or have some invisible birthdays slipped past us?
    ***How did Thal get blinded?
    ***How did Thal die?
    ***What happened during 'that' fight between Qui-Gon and Xanatos?
    ***Tips on writing space battles
    ***What should I assume when I see the word "Corellian?"
    ***Information about Anja Gallendro
    ***How old is General Garm bel Iblis?

On Page 6

***Who is Dooku really serving?
    ***Where can I find information on Zam?
    ***Did the Republic and the Jedi form at the same time?
    ***How old is the Republic?
    ***What kind of timekeeping do they have in the GFFA?
    ***How old was Thrawn?
    ***How long do Chiss live?
    ***What kind of ships do they have?
    ***Where can I find information about the Caamaasi?
    ***Does Dooku have a first name?
    ***What is a good resource for everyday items in the GFFA?
    ***Is there a way to fix Vong-formed planets?

On Page 7

***More discussion on fixing Vong formed planets and a clarification

2. rogue11lovesjag

Jun 13, 2002
    KrystalBlaze has offered to be my co-conspirator, so any PT or JA questions should be directed to her.

~Rogue

3. rogue11lovesjag

Jun 13, 2002
    Hello, everyone.

Our first question is from Aftermath. He wants to know...

a)planets that were occupied by the Vong but not altered in any dramatic way

b)Which planets were razed, terraforms, etc.

and C) Which planets were totally obliterated.

And here is the answer.

A) There isn't mention of a lot of planets that have been occupied, but not Vongformed. Since there isn't mention, I'm listing planets here that are occupied, but we don't know what's happened to them.

Dubrillion
    Bimmiel
    Ord Biniir
    Agamar
    Dathomir
    Wayland
    Ord Mantell
    Ansion
    Vortex
    Bilbringi
    Obroa-skai
    Bimmisaari
    Kubindi
    Kessel
    Almania
    Ylesia (occupied by the Peace Brigade. A contingent of Yuuzhan Vong warriors was also stationed here)
    Nal Hutta
    Ando
    Rodia
    Falleen
    Gyndine
    Bastion (recently occupied)

I also believe that Corellia is partially under the control of the Peace Brigade, due to events in Ylesia, and Thracken Sal-Solo's intevention in political matters.

B) Vong terraforming is usually referred to as slang, Vongforming by the natives of the galaxy and referred to as shaping by the Vong.

They include:

Helska
    Belkadan
    Duro
    Yavin
    Myrkr
    Borleias, to some extent, I believe.
    Coruscant, now known as Yuuzhan'tar.

Again, the planets in part a are likely to have undergone Vongforming as well, but there is no specific mention of it.

C) The Vong have obliterated only a few world, thanks to their need for places for their families to live. The only planets we know that have been destroyed are:

Serpindal
    Ithor
    Barab I (The planet was burning. It may now have been recovered by the Vong and shaped.)

Also, the Vong have entered into "diplomatic" relations with worlds such as Galantos, and destoyed the entire Yevethan population on N'Zoth.

Hope this helps you, Aftermath!

~Rogue

4. Aftermath

Aftermath Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 18, 2001
    yes, it does help. Thanks a lot. Just a follow up: How was Ithor destroyed?

5. Coota

Coota Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 2, 2002
    Actually, I think N'zoth got the same treatment as Barab I; they swept in, knocked out the defenses, filled up the slave ships and then orbitally bombarded the planet with plasma. I'm guessing that after that, they start shaping it into a Yuuzhan world.

Ithor basically got bombarded by aggressive Vong organic life, which basically broke its forests like dry twigs and took over. Think of Vong orbital 'seed' bombardments as incredibly aggressive weeds getting into your flower patch. That's basically what they did to Ithor.

On the plus side, while Yuuzhan worldshaping does screw with the native wildlife of planets, it also rapidly fixes seriously screwed up planets like Duros and Bith. So, a little bit of good amidst the bad.

6. Bobbacca

Bobbacca Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 25, 2003
    Actually, Helska wasn't Vongformed. They built an underwater base there, but didn't alter the native enviornment in any way. It doesn't particularly matter though, because Helska was destroyed at the end of VP anyhow.

There was also no mention of them altering Yavin in any way except tearing down the temples and replacing them with their own buildings. The native enviornment still remained intact.

I don't think it ever said they vongformed Myrkr either, but I'll have to double check that point.

And is Barab I the planet they were fighting over in the prologue to BP? b/c if it was, they crashed a moon into that too, like they did with Serpindal.

7. rogue11lovesjag

Jun 13, 2002
    Barab I was in the prologue of Force Heretic I, Remnant. It had fallen under attack and the citizens taken as slaves. From orbit, the planet looked like it was burning.

From the way I understand it, such a sterilization would help Vong forming later on.

Thank you for the clarifications.

~Rogue

EDIT: Also, as far as Yavin goes, since the Vong had started introducing their own creatures into the ecosystem of Yavin, such as the reptilian creatures in the river, etc., I had counted it as Vongformed.

8. Aftermath

Oct 18, 2001
    Another question about the NJO: Is there anyone with enough clairvoyance to tell me how its all going to end? How many books are left in the series, anyhow?

9. rogue11lovesjag

Jun 13, 2002
    *snorts* I don't think ANYONE has enough clairvoyance to tell you how it's going to end. Del Rey seems to have this unusual knack for pulling strange stunts on us.

As far as the rest of the books go, the NJO ends in November. The rest of the books are...

Force Heretic III: Reunion
    (Please, oh, please, let Reunion mean Anakin comes back....*composes herself*)

The Final Prophecy
    The Unifying Force (tie-in ebook)
    The Unifying Force (final book)

Book list is courtesy of wild_karrde's list over on the lit forum.

~Rogue

10. SobiFan

SobiFan Jedi Youngling star 3

May 7, 2003
    Great idea. Let me think of some annoying and hard to answer questions for you :) I'm sure they'll have to do with TPM and Naboo...

11. rogue11lovesjag

Jun 13, 2002
    Just wanted to up this so people would see it.

And yes, I did change the title of the thread, hopefully to attract some more attention.

~Rogue

12. rogue11lovesjag

Jun 13, 2002
    Our next question is from Jedi_Humaira_Blaine. She wants to have some information about Leia's adopted family.

1) Did Leia have any stepsiblings on Alderaan and if so, what were their names?

2) What was her mother's name?

3) Did Leia lose her entire family?

From what I can find, Leia didn't have any stepsiblings, and I can't find any mention of Bail Organa's wife's name. She was close friends with Winter, so much so that some people confused Winter for the princess.

Winter survived the destruction of Alderaan while on a mission for the Rebel Alliance, going by the code name Targeter. Bail Organa died when the Death Star destroyed the planet.

Hope this helps!

~Rogue

13. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Jedi_Humaira_Blaine Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 27, 2003
    Yes, thank you! :D The info did help me...keep this thread going. It's great! :cool:

God Bless,

Humaira

14. DarthBane77

DarthBane77 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2003
    I have a question. By the way, I love this thread! Actually I have a few questions.
    1.)How many Jedi serve on the council in the latest books?(if there is a council)

2.)Are Jedi allowed to love in the latest books?

3.)Is the current Jedi Temple destroyed? If there is one.

4.)Is their still a Senate?

Just a few, but I have many. Thanks!!

:)

15. rogue11lovesjag

Jun 13, 2002
    Sure thing! I'm just going to repeat the questions for everyone again. This is the NJO era, by the way, everyone.

1) How many Jedi serve on the Jedi council in the latest books?

2) Are Jedi allowed to love?

3) Is the current Jedi temple destroyed, if there is one?

4) Is there still a Senate?

And your answer!

1) The Jedi Council is made up of Jedi and non-Jedi. It's not exactly the "Jedi" Council, since non-Jedi are on it. It's formally referred to as the High Council, and Jedi fall under it's jurisdiction. The Council consists of 6 non-Jedi and 6 Jedi:

Luke Skywalker
    Cal Omas, Cheif of State
    Senator Triebakk, delgate from Kashyyyk
    Cilghal, Jedi healer
    Dif Scaur, Intelligence Director
    Kenth Hamner, retired military man and Jedi
    Senator Ta'laam Ranth, Gotal senator (note: demanded a seat on the council in return for giving his support to make Cal Omas Cheif of State)
    Kyp Durron, Jedi Master
    Senator Releqy A'Kla, Caamasi, Minister of State, daughter of Elegos A'Kla, former Caamasi senator
    Saba Sebatyne, Barabel Jedi
    Sien Sovv, Sullustian, Supreme Commander of the New Republic (Galactic Alliance) forces
    Tresina Lobi, Chev Jedi Knight

2)Jedi are allowed to love. I would chalk this up to the fact that there is such a lack of information from the old Jedi, no one knows about that rule. It doesn't seem to be making too much trouble yet, though!

3)There was no current Jedi Temple. The Jedi training academy on Yavin 4, however, was destroyed when the Vong landed a damutek on the Great Temple (called that because it was a temple to the Massassi, not the Jedi).

4) There still is a Senate. They are albeit diminished since the attack and destruction of Coruscant, but they are still intact, and meeting on Mon Calamari.

Hope this helps!

~Rogue

16. DarthBane77

Feb 26, 2003
    New question!! :D

If there isn't a temple, are there any talks of rebuilding it?

17. Darth_Tim

Darth_Tim Jedi Master star 4

Feb 26, 2002
    Not sure, but since Coruscant was destroyed...or rather, corrupted... by the Vong might be a better way to say it... it wouldn't be built there.

-Tim

18. DarthBane77

Feb 26, 2003
    Its there in my book.....but my book is a long time after NJO...

19. rogue11lovesjag

Jun 13, 2002
    Adding to Darth_Tim's excellent point about the Vongformed Coruscant...

The Jedi Temple was built over some sort of a Force well. Since this generation of Jedi doesn't have the wealth of information available to the Jedi of the Old Republic, I would doubt that they would build something in the exact same spot. I also doubt they would because of the strong emotions the Force well seems to want to produce in people, which would not be helpful in training new Jedi, again because of the lack of information.

~Rogue

20. Aftermath

Oct 18, 2001
    So, what's a Damutek? And while your at it, Can we get a Vong Bestiary? The NJO-ignorant among us might be interested in finding out what sort of loving critters have been brought to the GFFA from the outer realms.

21. rogue11lovesjag

Jun 13, 2002
    While I am very sure that this listing is incomplete, it is a beginning. These are some of the most commonly used Vong creatures, and general information about them. Hope this helps!

~Rogue

amphistaff?a long snake like creature that can be stiffened out and used as a staff or blade. Wielded by Yuuzhan Vong warriors, it resists lightsaber blows, and can spit venom at an attacker.

coral seeds?implants designed to control slaves. The first models designed for members of the GFFA were too rigorous and killed the first subjects. Afterwards, Vong designers managed produce a version of the seeds to give the subject some independence, but still allow Vong controllers to keep them under their control, by inflicting pain as a disciplinary measure. The original implants were continued for use on the front.

coralskipper?the Vong?s answer to traditional starfighters. They are equipped with plasma weapons and dovin basals for shields and locomotion. New Republic fighters had to adjust fighting tactics to compensate for the seeming invincibility of these organic fighters.

damutek?Shaper compounds. They are sacred precincts and off limit to Shamed Ones without a passage pheromone. It has roots that burrow into the ground and gather nutrients to itself. They are shaped like rayed stars.

dovin basal?a dual use creature, used for shielding and movement. Often referred to as small black holes or point singularities. When a ship carrying a dovin basal is fired upon, the dovin basal will effectively swallow the energy. Until fighters began extending their inertial compensators to compensate for the gravitic pull of the dovin basals, they would also pull shields straight off a starfighter. It is used to help move coralskippers and other ships rapidly, but if a ship is moving, it has more trouble swallowing energy. X-wing pilots installed splinter shots into their lasers, allowing for small shots of lasers to distract dovin basals, then to be overwhelmed when they were hit by high-powered lasers. They are also used as mines. Dovin basals serve as interdictors, and are able to pull ships from hyperspace. Dovin basals also serve as identifying markers for Vong ships. Dovin basals on a ship and in space can communicate with one another, allowing
    Vong ships to pass by dovin basal mining without being pulled from hyperspace. Jaina Solo managed to tinker with some captured dovin basals to confuse the Vong.

The Embrace of Pain?a creature that causes pain throughout a being?s body. They hang suspended by their limbs and the creatures keeps up a continued stream of pain through the victim?s body. Another creature, known as the Boiling Caress is believed to do something along those same lines.

enclosure membranes?These membranes can be sealed, and serve the same purpose as a force field. However, they are permeable to lightsabers.

gnullith?a type of gill. It is inserted down the trachea of the user, and allows them to breathe in situations where it would not normally be possible, such as in coralskippers or underwater.

grotto of Yun-Ne?Shel?a creature dedicated to Yun-Ne?Shel, the shaper goddess. Related to the yammosk, it is telepathic, giving back amplified emotions. It is used to give shaper adepts their shaping hand implant.

grutchin?a space faring creature used to disable vessels. They are believed to dissolve metal using special enzymes and can also make their way through even transparisteel, and can easily chew through an engine.

lambent crystal?telepathic crystals. They can be used much like a glowrod, telepathically commanded to light up more or less. Anakin Solo rebuilt his damaged lightsaber with one, and was able, though the lambent, to sense Yuuzhan Vong. They are also able to be configured to form controls of superorganisms, especially those defgned for space flight. It is mostly made of silicon and metal drawn from the soil, and the sustenance comes from bioelectrical fields given off b

22. DarthBane77

Feb 26, 2003
    Did the Vong devestate Coruscant completely, or are there ruins left?

23. redleader92055

redleader92055 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 9, 2003
    I also love this thread

My question is:
    When the Empire raids Yavin 4 after the death star is blown up do any of the tempels get destroyed?

24. rogue11lovesjag

Jun 13, 2002
    DarthBane77, Coruscant has not been completely destroyed yet. The substructure of the planet goes so far down, it will be a very long time before the Vongforming of Yuuzhan'tar can eat through that many layers of transparisteel and ferrocrete after transparisteel and ferrocrete. However, a good portion of Coruscant's infrastructure was ruined, through the introduction of Vongforming materials. Also aiding that, the Vong tore down skyhooks and orbiting defense platforms and let them crash into the planet. Sadly enough, only about four or five million out of Coruscant's nearly one trillion residents escaped.

~Rogue

25. rogue11lovesjag

Jun 13, 2002
    redleader92055,

I don't believe the Empire destroyed anything on Yavin 4's surface. When they made their sweep after the destruction of the Death Star, the Rebels had already vacated the planet, and the Empire had no real reason to destroy anything. There may have been some minor vandalism, but I don't believe they ruined anything that wasn't already ruined.

~Rogue

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.