Resource The Fanfic Writer's Help and Information Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by rogue11lovesjag, May 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. SakuraTsukikage Jedi Master

star 4
    Rebel? Imperial? Republic? Chiss? Sith? RL?

I can help with maybe half those.
  2. MsLanna Jedi Master

star 6
    Imperial.
    Most of all I want to know the right phrases to use, replies and how to approach superiors/inferiors.
  3. jacen200015 Jedi Master

star 4
    Here's my question. When one is doing a series, is it appropriate to end the first fic of a series with an epilogue? My first reaction is that its not, but i would like other peoples opinions first.
  4. Lane_Winree Jedi Master

star 4
    I've seen this done in profic, so I'd say that it's a fine literary tactic. Off the top of my head I can name Patrick Rothfuss' "The Name of the Wind" as a book-within-a-series that does this. It's the first part of a series of novels and featured a rather well done epilogue that brought a certain amount of closure to that particular book but still left enough unanswered to make subsequent novels in the series work.

Long story short, there's no rule against having an epilogue to end the first fic of a series.
  5. Draconarius Jedi Master

star 4
    A question for any Corran Horn fans out there: I know that he and his family are unable to use the Force for telekinesis without abosrbing power from somewhere first, but does this extend to more physical uses of the Force? Like, say, Force Leap?

Thanks in advance. :)
  6. moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South

star 6
    If the child of a Jedi was brought up in an Academy/Temple/etc and was raised by Jedi parents, how young could they be to be plausibly using the Force? I don't mean with all the powers of a Jedi or anything, just basic push/pull stuff.
  7. SithGirl132 Jedi Master

star 4
    Does anyone know what is involved in an Imperial promotion ceremony? Especially, Thrawn's promotion to Grand Admiral, right before the Battle of Endor?
  8. star_writer24 Jedi Master

star 4
    Is there a reference or table that calculates or lists the amount of time it takes to travel between planets in hyperspace in the SW Galaxy?
  9. DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Master

star 5
    Dunno, and the article at the Wook wasn't all that helpful, either.

In numbers, the hyperdrive allowed travelers to traverse a galaxy spanning over 120,000 light years in only a few hours or days, the exact travel time depending on a number of factors including destination, point of origin, route, and class of hyperdrive.
  10. Jedi Trace SouthEast RSA

Manager
    star 6
  11. Cushing's Admirer Force Ghost

star 7
    Thanks, Jedi Trace! [:D]

Does anyone know what the staff-like weapons a certain type of droid used in the PT was? The ones that could match/not be bested/broken by lightsabers? Thanks. I'm inquiring because it's needed for a fic I'm working on. :)
  12. pronker Jedi Master

star 4
    Force pikes?
  13. Cushing's Admirer Force Ghost

star 7
  14. Thumper09 Jedi Master

star 4
    Do you mean the MagnaGuard droids?

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Magnaguard

They used electrostaffs, and according to the Wook article the lightsaber-resistent material of the staffs was called phrik.
  15. Cushing's Admirer Force Ghost

star 7
    Thanks so much, Thumper, that's it! :)
  16. Cushing's Admirer Force Ghost

star 7
    Another fic question: what do you call a large dining room in SW?
  17. ardavenport Jedi Master

star 4
    Dining hall, perhaps? It might depend on whose large eating area it is.

18. mavjade It's so FLUFFY! Fanfic Manager

Manager
    star 6
    I don't know that there is a SW word but, as ardavenport said, I would call a very large dining room (as in a public one or something at a school) a dining hall but if it's for a home I would just call it a dining room, or you could make something up.

There isn't an entry for dining room but Earth Words and their SW equivalents is a very helpful thread when looking for SW words. Make sure to look through the comments because there are somethings that aren't in the first posts.
  19. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Lucasfilm Ltd Mod

Administrator
    star 9
    In the ESB novel the dining area on Bespin where Vader is waiting is referred to as a dining hall.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.