main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource The Fanfic Writer's Help and Information Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by rogue11lovesjag, May 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpeldoriontheBlended

SpeldoriontheBlended Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 12, 2002
    *Lost a planet, the Blended one has. How Embarresing.*

Does anyone know where Gand is? It doesnt seem to be on any of the maps. [face_plain]

2. Wampasmak

Wampasmak Jedi Master star 3

Apr 6, 2000
    Has it ever been told, in comics or anything, when, how and who exactly founded Black Sun?

3. rogue11lovesjag

rogue11lovesjag Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 13, 2002
    Okay, okay, one at a time, one at a time!! :D

Sorry it took me so long, we've had puppies at my house, so it's been rather hectic.

Anyway.

First:

Wookiees harvest their fibers from the syren plant. They are rather nasty little plants, and can sometimes take the arm off of the Wookiee trying to get the fibers from inside of it.

Next!

Gand is located near Kubindi, almost in The Centrality. Definitly Outer Rim, but on the other side from Tatooine, according to the Star Wars Insider presents the Galaxy map. If you find Kessel on the map in the NJO books, you'll see a section labeled as the Cron Drift. I'd say this is approximately Gand's location as I look at both maps.

Next!

Who, when, and how about Black Sun:

The Star Wars Unofficial Encyclopedia says:

Black Sun
    this massive criminal organization was founded millennia before the onset of the New Order, slowly expanding its scope and sphere of control while remaining one of the most elusive of all galactic organizations. Black Sun had influence in almost every illegal activity, from running weapons to smuggling spice, from the acquisition and sale of information to assassination and espionage. Led by an Underlord who was supposed by a host lieutenants known as vigos, Black Sun grew almost continually for many centuries leading up to the Galactic Civil War. Just before the Battle of Naboo, Black Sun was based on the planet Ralltiir, under the control of Alexi Garyn. It was Garyn who made a bid to purchase information from Hath Monchar on the Trade Federation's plans to develop droid armies for a possible invasion. Darth Sidious, fearing that the information might reach the Galactic Senate, ordered Darth Maul to hunt down Monchar and eliminate any Black Sun member he had contacted. For the Black Sun organization, this meant that Darth Maul executed Garyn and most of his vigos. The loss of so many leaders threw the organization into chaos, and the widespread agents of Black Sun foundered until a young Falleen named Xizor took control. Prince Xizor eliminated any serious threats to his rule, then established himself as Black Sun's most proficient leader. By the era of the Galactic Civil War, Black Sun was a vast empire with a multitude of interests and operations. The primary source of income for Black Sun at this time was the sale of information, and Xizor worked hard to make sure he was in control of information that his customers wanted. Xizor also had several front agencies, such as Xizor Transport Systems, that he used to launder credits. Black Sun far surpassed anything Jabba the Hutt controlled, until Xizor's own personal agenda began to take precedence. As Xizor strove to unseat Darth Vader as the Emperor's right-hand being, he entangled the organization in the efforts of the Alliance to rescue Han Solo and destroy the second Death Star. In a climactic battle over Coruscant, Xizor was killed and Black Sun was left to die. It was saved again only by its sheer size, but was never the same again. The remnants of Black Sun splintered, with just the group known as the Black Nebula achieving any sort of organization before being destroyed. Y'ull Acib tried to restore the organization to its former glory during the early years of the New Republic, but his plans to take control of the Imperial Interim Ruling Council were smashed by several forces. (SE, TFE, WOTC, RESB, DM, CE2, MJEH)

I'm going to add to the history a bit. During the YJK era, a part of Black Sun was under the control of a man named Czethros, who incited civil wars, sold weapons to both sides, smuggled spice extensively, and at one point, had control of Kessel. Thanks to the efforts of Jacen and Jaina Solo, Tenel Ka, Zekk, Lowbacca and Anja Gallendro, he was halted from inciting uprisings all over the New Republic and the takeover of Black Sun into the government.

Hope this helps all!

~Rogue

4. rogue11lovesjag

Jun 13, 2002
    An up for our people who might need help.

~Rogue

5. LadyMairead

LadyMairead Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2002
    I was wondering: Does anyone know what kind of calendar is used in the GFFA? Is it Sunday, Monday, etc., or something else? Thanks!

6. rogue11lovesjag

Jun 13, 2002
    LM, I don't think they do. Most likely, individual worlds have their own calendars, depending on their rotational cycles. They do use standard minutes, hours and days, which pretty much equal our own. As for days of the week, I've never seen anything like that, but they must have a standard year, since I've seen references to Lifedays (birthdays). Hope this little bit helps!

~Rogue

7. LadyMairead

May 20, 2002
    Thanks, rouge11. This issue has come up repeatedly for it, and I was just trying to find a resolution. It's difficult sometimes to have to write while avoiding common time denominations such as the days of the week. It's frustrating. Argh. Anyway, thanks. ;)

8. rogue11lovesjag

Jun 13, 2002
    Sorry that didn't help anymore. I do know that Bespin has two rotations for every standard day, rotating completely every twelve hours, so you have two days for every standard day.

~Rogue

9. AlrikFassbauer

AlrikFassbauer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2003
    Another sidenote : I know there is a *real* company out there _ I've seen the name somewhere here in Germany - whhich is called "Blaxxun" ... ;)

10. rogue11lovesjag

Jun 13, 2002
    I'm not quite sure what you're talking about, Alrik. Could you clarify for us?

~Rogue

11. LadyMairead

May 20, 2002
  12. AlrikFassbauer

Apr 2, 2003
    Haven't you read ? If you read carefully the name "Blaxxun" you will get "Black Sun" - so a *real* company seemed to name itself after a Star Wars crime organization ...

13. Amidala_Skywalker

Amidala_Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 2001
    Chalk it up to a fortunate coincidence? ;)

By the way, fantastic job on this thread. Great to see it in continual operation.

Am [face_love]

14. SpeldoriontheBlended

SpeldoriontheBlended Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 12, 2002
    We must all bow down and worship! We are in the presence of one of the great ones who are not restricted to duochromatic names! ;)

15. rogue11lovesjag

Jun 13, 2002
    *facepalm* Sorry, Alrik. Was having a stupid moment, there.

Am! *hugs* Thanks!

*laughs at Speldorion*

Now, if we can just get some more questions in here....

~Rogue

16. JDH3

JDH3 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    Want more questions, I'm happy to help lol. My first question is really just a request for any and all help. I've looked for info about my questions and came up dry. Perhaps you'll have more luck, either way great thread!!

1)-Any information on Lorian Nod from the book "Legacy Of The Jedi." I know he was a Jedi once and was killed but that's it.

2)-What the heck is "Junction 5"? Nod is supposed to be it's leader?

17. Fate

Fate Jedi Master star 3

Apr 22, 2003
    I have a few questions. :p

1. Does anyone know the extent of Zam's morphing capacity as a Clawdite - what exactly she goes through to shapeshift?

2. I've got this bar scene in an upcoming story. I'm trying to create an atmosphere of general lawlessness. What kind of illicit 'spices' and drinks would be found in a seedy bar in the lower levels of Coruscant?

3. How would a private party go about contacting a specific bounty hunter?

Thanks in advance! [face_love]

18. rogue11lovesjag

Jun 13, 2002
    Okay. Sorry I've kept you waiting so long.

KrystalBlaze is looking up the question for Legacy. I'd never heard of it until now. I'll also ask her to look about Zam's Clawdite shifting.

As for drugs and such, there's any number of illicit substances one can use. Deathsticks (which have their name for a reason), we saw in Episode 2. Spice, of all kinds, andris, glitterstim and ryll, would be preferred drugs, although those are considerably more expensive and usually deal with Hutts. Lesser addictive substances would also be tabac, made up in cigarras.

EDIT: I forgot to add drinks! (My benadryl must be kicking in.) Lomin ale and lum are always popular brews, as is Whyren's Reserve, Corellian whiskey, as well as Corellian brandys. Elba beer is also out there for those who want to remain slightly more clear-headed. Remote Terminators are interesting. They are either pre-programmed or random. Random can be fatal. Also Randoni Yellow Plagues have a reputation for being able to shoot a Wookiee from one side of the galaxy to the other. Add that to any number of private combinations concocted by barkeeps everywhere, and you've got quite a collection.

As for going about contacting bounty hunters, one can always contact the Bounty Hunters Guild, or just ask around in the right places. If you're in a seedy enough bar and you have enough money, the bartender should be able to tell you anything you need.

Hope this helps.

~Rogue

19. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Jedi_Humaira_Blaine Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 27, 2003
    I have some questions...Dark Jedi again! ;)

1. Is the title Darth only reserved for Sith Lords? i.e. Master and Apprentice? :confused:

I believe you said all Dark Jedi were not Sith...so can dark Jedi have the title- Darth? :confused:

2. What exactly is the meaning of the word Darth? Is it an abbreviation or does it mean "dark" or something else?

Thanks in advance! ;)

Blaine

20. Fate

Fate Jedi Master star 3

Apr 22, 2003
    Hope this helps.

It does. [face_mischief] Thank you very much! [face_love]

21. Darth_Leia_6669

Darth_Leia_6669 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2003
    Jedi_Humaira_Blaine: Don't quote me on any of this, but I may have the answers you seek. It is my understanding that the title Darth is used only for the Sith, and is a shortened form of DARK LOARD OF THE SITH. Like I said, this is just my understanding coming from many things that I have absorbed from many sources over the years, and I can't even recall where most of it came from!

Now, for a question of my own. A vibroblade is basically a knife with a different name, right? I just want to make sure, though that's the impression I have of them. I kinda feel stupid asking, but not as stupid as I would feel if I used one in my fic, and got it wrong! Anyways, that's it.

--later--

22. AlrikFassbauer

Apr 2, 2003
    As far as I know, the vibro blade has a blade that is vibrating (don't exactly know how, but I guess a little device makes this), thus making more damage.

23. rogue11lovesjag

Jun 13, 2002
    Personally, I have always invisioned a vibroblade as a bit of a mini chain saw, although it can be wielded quite efficiently without turning on the power.

~Rogue

24. Saber-of-Light

Saber-of-Light Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    hiya, peeps!

1) Kyp just kind of disappeared after getting Jaina in FH1. Did it say where he went, for how long, and why? I am trying to work with that in my story.

2) How much time has elapsed between the beginning of Remnant and the end of Reunion (FH1 and FH3)?

3)What are the ages of the main characters? Are the Solo twins still 19, Kyp still 34 or 35, etc. or have some invisible birthdays slipped past us?

Eh, sorry about the bombarding questions :p

25. Saber-of-Light

Saber-of-Light Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    UP! Although I have already started my story, I would still like some answers to those questions. Anyone care to humor me? ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.