main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource The Fanfic Writer's Help and Information Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by rogue11lovesjag, May 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    Sorry, Saber-of-Light, all I've got is another question. :(

This is incredibly obscure, too. A long time ago, in somebody's sig quote which has long since gone away, there was a Jedi poem that went something like this:

I have my robe to keep me warm, I have my lightsaber to keep me safe, I have enough credits to know where my next meal is coming from. If the Force wants me to have more, it will let me know.

It was attributed to Master somebody-or-other.

I've always suspected that it was from the EU and had been adapted from a Zen Buddhist or possibly Christian source.

Anyway, I'd kind of like to steal it, and would like to find the original wording and where it came from, so I can attribute it correctly.

Any ideas . . . ?

2. VadeyFan2002

VadeyFan2002 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 30, 2002
    I have some questions about the JA books.

1. How got Thal blinded?
    2. How did Thal die?
    3. What happened during 'that' fight between Qui and Xan?

I think I will come up with more as I don't know the books of that time. And they are hard to get here in Germany if at all, and off course they are more expensive here if you can get them.

Thank you for this thread and hopefully your help.

3. rogue11lovesjag

rogue11lovesjag Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 13, 2002
    Whoa.

I've created a monster here.

I'll get to everyone's questions (as well as ones that were pmed to me over the weekend, the computer at home was down, I apologize) tonight, cross my heart.

~Rogue

4. rogue11lovesjag

Jun 13, 2002
    Well, here we go. The massive answer and question session you've all been waiting for.

First questions are from Jedi_Humaira_Blaine.

1. How long after the events of RoTJ did Luke Skywalker marry Mara Jade?

About ten years.

2. When was their son, Ben, born? (i.e. how many years after the events of RoTJ)

About *counts on fingers* twenty, twenty two, I would think.

3. How many years post RoTJ was the Jedi Academy set up?

11-4...I can't add or subtract. 7 years.

4. When did the first batch of Jedi Knights graduate from the academy?

I will assume about a year afterwards, but don't hold me to that.

5. Approximately how many years did it take for a Jedi to qualify? (How old would he/she be when they qualified as opposed to the time taken in the Old Jedi Order)

If you're referring to the age restrictions as far as when they could come study, there were none in the new order. As far as becoming a Jedi Knight, that depended upon the readiness of the Jedi.

From Sabre-of-Light

1) Kyp just kind of disappeared after getting Jaina in FH1. Did it say where he went, for how long, and why? I am trying to work with that in my story.

They never told us. We're still waiting. *sighs*

2) How much time has elapsed between the beginning of Remnant and the end of Reunion (FH1 and FH3)?

Only a few months. Maybe two or three.

3)What are the ages of the main characters? Are the Solo twins still 19, Kyp still 34 or 35, etc. or have some invisible birthdays slipped past us?

I think that the twins are 20 now...that invisible birthday has definitely passed.

Ophelia:

I have no idea, but that is a beautiful quote.

VadeyFan, I will consult with my co-conspirator, KrystalBlaze, and ask her to answer these questions for you, as JA is not my specialty.

Hope this helps everyone!

~Rogue

5. KrystalBlaze

KrystalBlaze Jedi Master star 5

Aug 3, 2002
    Co-conspirator checking in with some answers for VadeyFan. :)

1. How got Thal blinded?

Tahl was sent to Melida/Daan to help stop the fighting that world was going through. The Daan (I'm pretty sure it was the Daan) captured her in hopes to use her for ransom to get the Senate to vote in their favor over the naming of the planet (or something of the sort, I can't exactly remember). They beat her pretty severly, and thus put out her eyes, which are stripped green and gold, btw. ;)

2. How did Thal die?

Tahl died in the JA book The Death of Hope (nice fitting name, huh? ;) ). She was lured to the planet Apoloson (or something of the sort, I can't remember the exact name) by twin girls she had helped many years before. Long story short, it was a setup to move the government power to another, smaller one that had been torturers. One of the leaders, a man whose name I cannot remember for the life of me, kidnapped Tahl to ransom her (or again, something of the sort) and begin to inject her with a drug that weakened her muscles. The man eventually injected her with enough to kill her, and she died with Qui-Gon at her side.

3. What happened during 'that' fight between Qui and Xan?

I'm not exactly sure what fight you're talking about, so I'll go with the one at the end of the JA book The Captive Temple. Xanatos had taken over the Temple in an attempt to exact revenge on Qui-Gon and to get to a ship of very valuable minerals. He kidnapped Bant Eerin, Obi-Wan great friend, in an attempt to exchange the shipload with. Obi-Wan battled and defeated Bruck Chun, who had been turned to the Dark Side by Qui-Gon. He fell off the cliff the two were fighting on, broke his neck, and died. Bant was rescued. While they fought, Xanatos and Qui-Gon were also fighting in the Council Chambers (again, I think). Nothing really septacular happened in this fight, except some nicely thrown taunts by both parties. Xanatos escaped by jumping out a window and landing in an air-taxi.

Hopefully that helped. :) I apologize for the things I don't know, all my JA books are stored in the garage from a move and I haven't been able to locate them. :(

-Krystal

6. VadeyFan2002

Sep 30, 2002
    Thank you, Krystal.

Actually I meant the first fight on Telos and how exactly it came that Qui killed Xan's father so that Xan went against him. And the fight itself.

You said that fight in the Council Chamber was the last between them?
    I heard there was a fight during which Xan fell into some acid liquid. ?[face_plain]

7. KrystalBlaze

KrystalBlaze Jedi Master star 5

Aug 3, 2002
    I shall answer in points. :)

- Xanatos and Qui-Gon's first duel was on Telos, Xanatos' homeworld. Xanatos and Qui-Gon had been sent there to stop a civil war or something of the sort. Crion, Xanatos' father, was the head of the planet and the son and father began to scheme together to rob the world of money. Qui-Gon stepped in and stopped it. Qui-Gon killed Crion, and his broken ring fell into hot embers. Xanatos and Qui-Gon proceded to fight. Qui-Gon disarmed him and Xanatos taunted his Master to kill him. He couldn't do it. Xanatos fled after holding his father's ring to his cheek, creating a broken circle.

- That was the last fight in The Captive Temple. After that book ended, Qui-Gon followed him to Telos, where they dueled at the end of the book. Xanatos knew he would be defeated and captured, so he chose to kill himself by jumping into a pit of acid, claiming that submitting to Qui-Gon would be worst than death.

Thank you, Krystal.

It's no problem. :)

-Krystal

8. VadeyFan2002

Sep 30, 2002
    Thank you so much. It helped me a lot.

Vadey

9. Darth_Elu

Darth_Elu Chosen One star 7

Jan 2, 2003
    Hey all! :) Just thought i could ask for some help. *sheepish grin* Um, can anyone give me some tips on how to write a decent space battle? I'm not that good at writing space battles. lol Any help would be nice. :)

10. rogue11lovesjag

Jun 13, 2002
    Well, I am most happy to pass along some tips that I've learned along the way about space battles. It's a long hard hyperspace jump (oh, that was corny. Don't use metaphors like that--that can be your first tip.), but I hope that I can help.

First, make sure that you know which direction port and starboard are in. Always good to know. Then you can describe which way the fighter swung more accurately.

Second, read a lot. Aaron Allston and Mike Stackpole do some great fighter scenes. I like to try to model my scenes after theirs.

My third tip: Use lots of descriptive language, describing the way things explode, how the pilot feels, how the sweat drips down his forehead.

Hope this helps!

~Rogue

EDIT: Yeah, I can't spell or type.

11. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Jedi_Humaira_Blaine Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 27, 2003
    Thank you so much rogue11lovesjag! :D

The info is very useful to my fic. :D

I hadn't checked on this thread in a while. Don't mean to be ungrateful! [face_blush]

I contributed to a marathon Q and A didn't I? ;) Nice to know! :D

12. rogue11lovesjag

Jun 13, 2002
    *winks* That's okay!

And a little up for people to be able to find this!

~Rogue

13. Happy_Hobbit_Padawan

Happy_Hobbit_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Okay, I've got a question that hopefully won't reaveal too much of my ignorance. [face_blush] I'm wondering about people who are Corellian, like Corellian Jedi. When I see that description, what should I assume about the people? (And I'm just guessing from examples I've read that I am missing some background information).

Thanks!

14. rogue11lovesjag

Jun 13, 2002
    Here we go, then, just for you!

Facts about Corellian Jedi:

Corellian Jedi rarely left the Corellian system, due to a superstition that Corellian Jedi who did died. Sucks, but it happened.

A medallion was made marking the ascension of a Corellian Jedi to a Master and given out.

Corellian Jedi were often quite rebellious compared to other Jedi, even dressing in different colors than the other Jedi.

They are also quite arrogant, comparatively speaking.

They could also be considered quite humble, comparatively speaking.

As for other Corellians:

They eat greasy food.

They are cocky.

They are arrogant.

The pilots are extremely arrogant.

They build the best ships.

They are also brave (typically speaking, there are exceptions to every rule.), self-sacrificing and kind. Corellians who joined the Rebellion were not allowed back into the Corellian system. When they died outside of Corellia, their remains were compressed into a diamond, and the diamond was embedded in the Sanctuary, a memorial to those deceased Corellians. The diamonds were set in the black background in constellations as seen from Corellia.

Hope this helps!

~Rogue

15. rogue11lovesjag

Jun 13, 2002
    Just an up people who need help can find this thread.

~Rogue

16. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    OK, here's a yough nut I'm having trouble cracking.... I need other districs of Coruscant... not just the Coco distic but tother places as well... (Old republic era)

17. rogue11lovesjag

Jun 13, 2002
    I looked through the Unofficial Encyclopedia, but I couldn't find anything. I do have the Illustrated Guide to the Star Wars Universe, and I'll look and see if it says anything when I'm home this weekend.

~Rogue

18. SpeldoriontheBlended

SpeldoriontheBlended Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 12, 2002
    Um, could you possibly give me some data on Anja Gallandro? I got the stuff from TCUSWE, but I was wondering about a) what she did after she kicked her habit, b)when she was born and for some obscure reason c) what colour her eyes are. I mean 'arrr'. :)

19. rogue11lovesjag

Jun 13, 2002
    Now, this, I can tell you, as Anja is one of my favorite characters. After she kicked her habit, she went to work for Lando Calrissian. As far as we know, she's still working for him.

She was born several years before the twins, and I've guessed her to be about four years older than they are. There's some conflict about exactly how much older she is, but she is older then Zekk for sure, so I'm guessing she was about twenty when the twins were sixteen.

Her eye color is a dark brown.

Hope this helps!

~Rogue

20. SpeldoriontheBlended

Apr 12, 2002
    Thanks. She's going to be gind of pivotal in my fic, at least in the second segment. Is she the kind of person to take orders?

21. rogue11lovesjag

Jun 13, 2002
    Anja will take orders only if it suits her. If she thinks she has a better idea, it's not at all surprising for her to jump in with both feet.

~Rogue

22. SpeldoriontheBlended

Apr 12, 2002
    Excellent. That fits my plan perfectly. Now, which limb should I lop off... :D

Another question: do you know when Bel Iblis was born. I reckon that he has to be about 60in Dark Force Rising, if he was a Senator when Han was eleven. That means he'd be born roundabout 50 BBY, I think. Could you just check that I'm not completely wrongad off my head? Thanks. :)

23. rogue11lovesjag

Jun 13, 2002
    There is a short story that Tim Zahn wrote that took place before the destruction of Alderaan, that bel Iblis was in. Off hand, I figure you should add about ten years to his age, and then you'd have him about right, since he had a teenage daughter.

~Rogue

24. SpeldoriontheBlended

Apr 12, 2002
    So he's born in 60 BBY, and is 70ish in DFR and 85 in the NJO?

25. Fate

Fate Jedi Master star 3

Apr 22, 2003
    I've been wondering this for a while, and now I'm hoping the answer isn't horribly obvious. :p When Dooku created the clone army by contacting Jango, was he doing it for his own devices, to help The Confederacy of Independent Systems along, or was he doing it for the benefit of his Master? ?[face_plain]

It's important to my story, because the answer will determine whether it opens with him discussing the clone template issue with the Separtists or his Master, which will change the whole tone of the story.

And I'd like to know where I can find more information about Zam - her likes, dislikes... basically all the stuff that will help me build up the same sort of characterization of her in my mind that I have of Jango Fett. ;)

Thanks in advance! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.