main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

RPR Archive The Fanfiction - Role Playing Forum Writing Challenge - RESULTS POSTED

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource Archive' started by Imperial_Hammer , Apr 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Imperial_Hammer

Imperial_Hammer Manager Emeritus: RPFs star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 25, 2004
    Announcing...

***The First Fanfiction - Role Playing Forum Writing Challenge***

[image=http://www.gildedquill.net/Graphics/Gilded_Quill.gif]

Greetings writers from around the boards! Its the distinct pleasure of the Roleplaying and Fanfiction Moderating Teams to offer to our communities, and the Jedi Council Forums, the First Trans-forum Writing Challenge. It is our profound hope that this friendly competition increases the dialog between writers here, bringing our mutual hobbies closer together and inspiring a feeling of excellence among us.

Fanficcers and RPers alike, step right up and show us your talents!

Act I: The Challenge

How will these talents be judged one might ask? In designing this event, we needed to look for a shared bridge between Fanfiction and Roleplaying. To this end, we've settled on one-post fanfics / single RPG posts. This is a great way to judge the shared writing talent of our posters. The prompt will be given once we have our participants, but it will be Star Wars in topic. The prompt will center around one character, with the ability to incorporate other characters (RPF: In the form of NPCs). To prevent a tsunami of novellas, we will be enforcing a word-count limit. All entries must be above 500 words and must not exceed 2000 words.

The timeframe for this challenge will be as follows. From the posting of the prompt, there will be one week alloted for sign-ups, three weeks for writing the entry, and two weeks for the JC to vote on it.

Act II: The Participants

In a competition such as this, we unfortunately cannot extend the ability to participate to everyone. While your writing is a joy to read, we can't ask our judges to shift through pages and pages of writing. To solve this, we are going to have interested writers PM their respective mod teams of their interest. At their discretion, they will pick four writers from each forum to participate. These writers will be picked due to their quality of writing, and their reliability as posters. When the prompt is given, these posters will be the one's writing for the contest.

Act III: The Judgment

Judgment for this contest will be done by PMed vote to a Competition Sock. The writings of the contestants will be posted in the neutral, 3rd party "Census and Games" board. There RPers, FFers, and non-affiliated JCers can all vote. Everyone is allowed to vote, though sock checking will be strictly enforced. The writings will be randomized and anonymous to achieve complete impartiality.

Judgment for this competition is a very delicate subject. We want the judgment process to be truely based on the merits of their writing, not on partisanship towards any one person's respective forums. We're doing a few things to make this happen. Firstly, we're going to be asking chosen participants to remain anonymous. While we, the Mods, cannot enforce this outside of our respective boards, we're going to use an honor system and hope people live up to their promises. Secondly, as stated above, we'll be making the writings anonymous. They will be given code-names so that they will be indistinguishable amongst each other. Only their literary merits will be observed. Finally, in making the awards sock, all involved mods will be able to access the account. This will check any allegations of bias amongst the vote-checkers.

Its our hope that these carefully laid measures will make for the most fair competition possible.

As for the winners, we are opting for the simple approach. Users will PM to us their top three candidates. The one awarded first will get 3 points, the one awarded second will get 2, and the one awarded third will get one. At the end of the voting period, the contestant with the highest amount of points will be awarded the winner.

ACT IV: The Reward

As with all good contests, there must be a reward. To fit the scope of this competition, we will be playing for forum pride! Thats right friends, the winner of this co

2. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Sounds like a fantastic concept! =D=

3. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
  4. darth_nemisis

darth_nemisis Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 2004
    A very nice idea! I look forward to reading some of the entries! :D

Judgment for this competition is a very delicate subject. We want the judgment process to be truely based on the merits of their writing, not on partisanship towards any one person's respective forums. We're doing a few things to make this happen. Firstly, we're going to be asking chosen participants to remain anonymous. While we, the Mods, cannot enforce this outside of our respective boards, we're going to use an honor system and hope people live up to their promises. Secondly, as stated above, we'll be making the writings anonymous. They will be given code-names so that they will be indistinguishable amongst each other. Only their literary merits will be observed. Finally, in making the awards sock, all involved mods will be able to access the account. This will check any allegations of bias amongst the vote-checkers.

I like that...a very good idea for the judgment. :)

5. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    lol

6. Ktala

Ktala Force Ghost star 6

Sep 7, 2002
    ..oooh...ahhhh...pretty!!!

7. spacelady

spacelady Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    I whole-heartedly applaud this challenge. I am glad there was finally a co-action between the RPF and FanFic Forums. The FanFic Forums were the first place I migrated to when I joined TFN and though I haven't been there in some time, it still holds a special place in my heart...*sniff*

*applause and thumbs up*

Edit: This is Elu, forgot 'Spacey' was signed in still. [face_blush] :p

8. Ktala

Ktala Force Ghost star 6

Sep 7, 2002

Hmmm... A single RPG posts that above 500 Words!!!!

hehehehe...THAT could get interesting... :p

9. Imperial_Hammer

Sep 25, 2004
    Hahaha...

Believe it or not, the standard "long" RPF post is around that length...

I took an average GAW post at random, and it was something like 515 words or so...

It can be done... ;)

Sure we might not write as long as the FFers, but by gum, we'll write better than em! :p

-I_H

10. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    Yeah, but they're freaks.

11. Imperial_Hammer

Sep 25, 2004
    Freakishly..... gooooood?

:p

I'm happy to report we have a hearty contingent (like 8 or 9 or so) of volunteers...

Also from the FF Thread:

:eek:

Not..... Hammer Time???

-I_H

12. Glove_of_Darth_Vader

Glove_of_Darth_Vader Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 8, 2008
    But...isn't it always Hammer Time? :eek:

Victory shall belong to the RPF! [face_mischief]

13. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Surely there is 'Saint Time' too? This looks incredibly intriguing, indeed.

14. LightWarden

LightWarden Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 11, 2001
    My money is on the people who write for the entertainment of other people, rather than writing to show how awesome their characters are.

15. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    FanFic will kick your sorry butts.

*Plants FanFic's banner in thread and heads back to FanFiction Resource*

16. Jango10

Jango10 Jedi Master star 5

Sep 22, 2002
    GTHOTB!!!!

17. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    This is like, Thunderdome, man.

18. NickLitYouAFlame

NickLitYouAFlame Jedi Master star 5

Feb 27, 2007
    In a ploy to promote inter-forum cooperation, you have unearthed a deep-seeded rivalry that will ravage the RPF for eons...

What happened? I blacked out.

19. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005

:mad:

It's on now!

20. Yuul_Shamar

Yuul_Shamar Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2004
    We goin to pwn them fanficcers! We gots awesome writers here!

21. Yuul_Shamar

Nov 3, 2004
    Sorry for the double post but I took their silly banner back to them, broke its, and placed an unbreable one of our own! We gonna pwn 'em!

22. Imperial_Hammer

Sep 25, 2004
    [image=http://www.bbc.co.uk/coventry/content/images/2005/04/29/your_country_needs_you_150_150x180.jpg]
    [image=http://www.propagandaposters.us/watching.jpg]
    [image=http://www.pspsps.tv/Killzone_Propaganda.jpg]

23. Corellian_Ale

Corellian_Ale Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 3, 2008
    Yeah...well, we got uniforms! That's right. They may be all extra large, but that's not the point!

wait, I did have a point, something about our competitive nature...
    [face_devil]

24. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Well, we have something much better! We have me!

:p

25. Yuul_Shamar

Nov 3, 2004
    *Mass cheering, echoing off the forum walls*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.