main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:SA The FanFilm Thread

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Obi-Wan_Toddi, Jun 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obi-Wan_Toddi

Obi-Wan_Toddi Former SAFF CR star 6

Feb 7, 2005
    Don't remind me! :oops:

2. oz_skipp

oz_skipp Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 20, 2004
    November to February works for me. Except November :(

I plan on having a decent miniDV cam by then to assist. Will see if I can salary sacrifice one more expensive than I can buy outright :)

I can also get much top notch expensive editing software for nix.....must mull over this ethical dilema...

3. Obi-Wan_Toddi

Feb 7, 2005
    You in Japan during October holidays skipp??

4. oz_skipp

Apr 20, 2004
    Yup I hope. Problem with getting a cam over there is that (a) it'll be NTSC, (b) it'll likely only have Japanese menus, (c) different voltage and (d) probably not much cheaper than here. But I'll try to get one duty free here beforehand.

5. Obi-Wan_Toddi

Feb 7, 2005
    skipp - I'm more thinking you being around to act ... the camera is less important. It's cool, we'll get it sorted.

6. oz_skipp

Apr 20, 2004
    Oh :)

I should be around/available for the bulk of the second half of December and most of January. ;)

7. milney

milney Jedi Master star 5

Aug 21, 2003
    For me to come down, I'd need somewhere to stay and an internet connection for my laptop (I'll explain why in my upcoming 'I'm back' thread)

8. oz_skipp

Apr 20, 2004
    I've been researching the many many many web pages/sites about how to go about making/editing/digital effecting fan films tonight.

My head hurts lots.

Scary thing is I have all the (Macintosh) software I need to assist with helping this thing along accessible at the drop of a hat...pity it's not officially my laptop or I'd grab what is needed.

Oh, I need a good couple of hundred gig more of hard disk space, so I declined to get the software...for now... ;)

9. Obi-Wan_Toddi

Feb 7, 2005
    Yikes, skipp! Don't over do it dude! Nice work though. Look forward to finding out what you've discovered!

10. oz_skipp

Apr 20, 2004
    If a couple of amateurs with old Macs could do this good in 2001, I'm feeling confident.

http://www.crewoftwo.com/

Lots of good background info. Also will hopefully teach patience to those who expect you to have a film out a week or two after filming.

BTW: the software that I'm investigating will enable this with relative ease.

[image=http://cpostudios.com/Saber%20Tutorial/Saber20.jpg]

11. oz_skipp

Apr 20, 2004
    In my limited looking for videocameras, the best review site appears to be http://www.camcorderinfo.com/

I'd suggest going for an HDV camera (Hi Definition Digital Video) if the budget stretches. I'm keen on the following three (for myself), but it seems like a stretch of $2000+ for each. However the video resolution of these is outstanding compared to 'standard' HD. That Sony one is damn sexy!

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/Sony-HCR-HC1-Review.htm
    http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/canon_gl2_camcorder_review.htm
    http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/panasonic-ag-dvc30-camcorder-review.htm

Once I lower my expectations to what I can actually afford for when I go away, I'll find some decent HD ones in the $1000 range to suggest ;)

12. evil-incarnate

evil-incarnate Jedi Youngling star 7

Jun 30, 2004
    Ask George & Sony if you can "borrow" theirs....

ROTS is finished..... they're not using it at the moment.

[face_mischief]

13. oz_skipp

Apr 20, 2004
    The model above the Sony I mentioned is 6 grand and is unbelievable.
    The model above this one is 50 grand and is pretty much on par with George's.

I don't want to remortgage the house for a handycam though ;)

14. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    Wow, so much tech talk! Seems you guys have it all under control! Well done. :D

15. Obi-Wan_Toddi

Feb 7, 2005
    They're in control!! I'm rolling around on the floor in a craze!

16. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    With or without your robe?! ;)

17. Obi-Wan_Toddi

Feb 7, 2005
    without ... :p

18. oz_skipp

Apr 20, 2004
    Go crazy? Don't mind if I do.

Wooopwoopwoopwoop.

;)

19. Obi-Wan_Toddi

Feb 7, 2005
    I'M A TEAPOT ... I'M A TEAPOT ... I'M A TEAPOT!!

So what if I were to buy a normal digi video camera, skipp?? What would be the difference in quality? I'm currently downloading 'duality' to have a look.

20. evil-incarnate

evil-incarnate Jedi Youngling star 7

Jun 30, 2004
    Digi is great... allows more complex editing.

Samsung does the trick.

21. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Sony is good....

22. oz_skipp

Apr 20, 2004
    My problem is that I know a little bit about everything and not a lot about one thing (hence, teacher ;) ).

But, excusing my little fit of excitement before that would suggest buying HDV is a must-do, a 'standard' DV camcorder differs from an HDV camcorder technically only in resolution. DV camcorders (the 'norm' these days) are designed for decent quality recording and viewing on a normal TV, HDV are essentially the same but record in resolution for HDTV. HDV has the benefit in that it produces superior resolution (duh!) and can be edited at V. high quality and dumbed down for release on the web or slightly dumbed down for DVD.

HDV does have some negatives at the moment though. I guess it all comes down to $$$. $1000-$2000 will get a very decent DV cam, add on at least a grand for HDV. Scary thing is I can edit HDV but can't properly view it on my laptop (think at least 1400ishx1080ish monitor required).

What I haven't found out is if there are SD (standard definition, a kindof dumbed down HD compromise Australia and some other countries apparently have) cameras. They may be worth investigating if they exist.

The main thing that is needed is a firewire in/out port on the camera to interface with PC/Mac, but again, not really essential as personally, I'd dump ALL footage to disk and edit from there.

Try the site I suggested before, and this one: http://www.easycamcorders.com/

I'll be investigating over the next few days. A decent buy (eg my 'puny' 3 megapixel Canon still digicam which has a beautiful lens for the price) within whatever budget is decided should prove okay. But DV is a must for obvious reasons :)

phew, too much typing. beer me please ;)

23. Obi-Wan_Toddi

Feb 7, 2005
    I'm definitely getting a digital video camera, just dunno about a HD digicamera!

Hmmm ... so many options! [face_thinking]

24. oz_skipp

Apr 20, 2004
    Brandwise, Canon has always done well by me, Panasonic & Sony are both very good. Sony has it's own 'proprietary quirks' but should be okay, you do pay for it though! JVC do some decent ones but their consumer class of products varies from fantastic to ugh (so I've heard).

Look hard on those two websites. I know I will be.

25. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Justifier does know a little about this stuff and he says that edditing HD with todays computers is difficult at best. The footage takes up far too much hard drive space unless you have Terrabytes of hard drive space it's not worth it. Also you need a HD display to take advantage of the high resolution. He says you are better off sticking with standard resolution for the time being until the technology matures. Yes, I did type as he spoke, as I have no idea what I just said.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.