main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource The Fanon Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by FanonSock, Nov 11, 2014.

1. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Congrats Findswoman!

Well, DRL, the awards and more recently food poisoning all conspired against me participating or even reading all the fics and voting in this challenge, but here's my two cents anyway.
    1. We should definitely keep doing 'em!!!

2. In addition to the ideas suggested above, another possible format would be something similar to the fic-gift exchange. Writers who sign up PM the sock saying, "I want a fic in [this era] that incorporates elements from [these three] fanon posts, with characters [XYZ]; I'm willing to write a fic in [this era]" and then the requests are exchanged between all participants.

3. I think the deadline was perfectly reasonable, and if I'd started writing my fic in the first couple of months I would actually have posted it (procrastinators unite!) I'd say though that three challenges per year (instead of four) for this thread makes more sense, because these fics take more time to prepare and research than, say, OC fics.

4. Winner gets to choose the next challenge is fine. Other options I can think of is winner gets to decide the thread's next topic, or, for in-thread advertisement, winner gets to write a fanon post featuring excerpts from their fic (or something along those lines), and no other fanon posts are allowed for the next two weeks/month, only discussion of the winner's fanon post (if that makes sense).

Gamiel, Findswoman and Ewok Poet like this.
  2. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Congratulations, Finds! Great story!

1. Yes please. Moar.
    2. Gosh, I am not sure what themes you mean. Like, we would have to write a spy story using fanon?
    3. Yes, there was enough time. I just think people got busy with DRL. I know I've been swamped.
    4. I kind of prefer the winner chooses format. I like the consistency, especially since a lot of the fanon writers are also OC writers anyway.

3. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    1. Yes please. Keep doing them.
    2. No theme in mind, but I know now that if the subject matter is not simple enough for me, it will get shunted aside by my existing schedule.
    3. Duration was sufficient.
    4. Winner choosing next subject, works for me.

Kahara, Findswoman and Ewok Poet like this.
  4. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    I think your response to 2 could help the sock choose! That was awesome. :)

Kahara likes this.
  5. Acaciathorn

Acaciathorn Jedi Master star 1

Jul 19, 2015
    Gamiel asked me to post this here...so I will! ^____^

Introducing...
    Jug-Jug, The Gungan Goddess of Surfing
    [​IMG]
    At times like these I am so grateful to be an artist, so that I can unleash things like this upon the world. [​IMG]
    Backstory time. It was the very first session of our Edge of the Empire campaign, and the whole party was on Naboo. My buddy Mike (who plays an alcoholic con artist named Lars) was trying to swindle a tourist, and during the conversation, he made a throwaway joke about "Jug-Jug, the Gungan Goddess of Surfing". We had a good laugh, and then moved on. Except the joke kept. coming. back. Before we knew it, the cult of Jug-Jug had become a canon part of the campaign. My character Jastra and Lars went on to fake a religious conversion, lie to "Sarah", the Gungan equivalent of Pope, and put into motion of series of events so ridiculous that I cannot accurately describe them here. Later, Lars convinced a group of Gungan refugees in the Outer Rim that he was, in fact, the avatar of Jug-Jug upon this worldly plane. So yeah, he has followers now.​
    FUN FACTS:​
    - Jug-Jug is a beneficent and peaceful goddess whose imagery graces many Gungan homes.​
    - There is a Gungan "holy text". It has a LOT of water metaphors.​
    - Prophecy and dreams are of great import to the Gungan religious authority. That's how Jastra and Lars were able to convince them to take their bullsh!t seriously.​
    - Jug-Jug also has a male counterpart, "Stab-Stab, the Gungan God of War", but he's less popular [​IMG]

For more art/wacky tales from our campaign, check out my gallery thread~

Kahara, Gamiel, Findswoman and 4 others like this.
  6. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Acaciathorn

Welcome to the Boards, and our Fan Fiction forum.

Great artwork, and backstory.

Did Gamiel remember to advise you that putting items into the fanon thread, allows other writers to use the material?

I know I'm inspired to start using Gungans, just to reference this deity. Stab-Stab made me laugh.

Oddly, I can say or think Jar Jar just like that, but Jug Jug and Stab Stab are being accompanied by the faint first two thum-thum beats of the Law and Order theme tune.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  7. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Oh.my.goat. A GUNGAN GODDESS. And an implication that there's more of them! =D=[face_love]

Please, say that you're writing a story with these! Or that we can use them and write one!

8. Acaciathorn

Acaciathorn Jedi Master star 1

Jul 19, 2015
    Of course! Jug-Jug's divine benevolence is meant to be shared with everyone ;)

9. Kahara

Kahara FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Mar 3, 2001
    Findswoman, congrats on the challenge win! =D=

Acaciathorn, I like that illustration; the water-dress detail is really well done. :)

Findswoman , Sith-I-5 and Ewok Poet like this.
  10. FanonSock

FanonSock Jedi Master star 1

Nov 11, 2014
    Hi all! Time for another quick check-in and update.

First of all, the index of this thread has been updated with Acaciathorn ’s entry on Jug-Jug, the Gungan goddess of surfing. Thank you for posting, and welcome to the thread! :)

Next, many thanks to who have responded to my little survey about challenges, and I'm sorry to be responding to them so tardily! I like all the challenge topics and prize ideas people have suggested, and I've written them down for the future.

Now, just to answer a few questions and comments:

2: Thanks! I've written these down. For inventing a species or culture, that seems like a kind of challenge could apply to creating new fanon posts as well as (or instead of) new stories. And that's the great thing about this thread: we can have challenges that apply to both, at different times!

3: I will do my best. :)

Thanks—I've written these down too! The only thing I'm not sure about here is the option that limits who can and can't post when and about what, because we already have the one-a-month rule, and I would like things to be as free and open as possible here. In-thread advertising is something I'd have to check on with the mods (I'm also checking on the possibility of colors), though that's one I'd be glad to have too.

By "theme" I just meant basically the topic or type of challenge—sorry it wasn't clear. But what you suggest is certainly one possibility: "write a story of genre X using the fanon element of your choice," that type of thing.

I wonder if you could expand on this a bit—what would you consider simple enough, and what would you consider not simple enough? E.g., did the previous roulette (two randomly chosen fanon topics to write about) not feel simple enough, and why?

And finally, watch this space in the next day or two for more on the next challenge, which is currently in the works.

Thank you all once again! :)

Kahara, Gamiel and Ewok Poet like this.
  11. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Some fanon regarding Mandolorians

* Mandolorian jizz is to jizz what "Jazz in Swedish" is to normal jazz

* In post Suprema Mandalore so is Leia seen as a great hero by many mandos.

* The City of Bone is made from a real mythosaur skeleton, so yes Jusik they were that big, and the old mandolorains battled the mythosaurians using mechas.

* The mythosaurians was not made extinct in the time of Mandalore the First, I have no fanon for when they become extinct but it took the mandolorians many generations to do it.

Some mandolorian superstitions
    - Beskar items are good fortune.
    - It is bad fortune to carry a lightsabre.
    - It is bad fortune to carry a lightsabre unless you killed the jedi it belonged to.
    - If you take trophies from somebody alive they can later track you down.
    - The wearer leaves a part of itself in its beskar'gam; this is mostly a good thing since the experience of former wearers trickle down into the current one but it also means that you take upon aspects of the former wearers which can be bad if they had different personalities or used different tactics then the current one.
    - A person who is adopted into the mandolorians leave all its old obligations and fortunes (good as well as bad) behind, if it ever act upon its old life all those old obligations and fortunes will return, often with a greater force.
    - Carrying a lightsabre or lightsabre crytal prevent jedi from cursing you.
    - The trickster god Hod Ha'ran’s favourite victims are the serious and self-important; tell jokes and play pranks and he will most likely look for some other to play with.

Some new words in mando'a

Acykoya'lakyr'am = ca. undead.
    Alor = master
    Dar'agol = ca. ghost
    Runi = soul
    Siit = Sith
    Ures'tal = ca. vampire
    te Vhors = the Force

Marvel comic's Mando’a accent
    'g':s at the end of words are dropped.

Alright = awright
    And = an’
    Before = ‘efore
    Coming = comin’
    Cyborg = ‘borg
    Doing = doin’
    Don’t know = dunno
    Fitting = fittin’
    For = fer
    Friend = chum
    Got to = gotta
    Have to = hafta
    Her = ‘er
    Him = ‘im
    Himself = hisself
    Into = inta
    Keeping = keepin’
    Man = lad
    Miss = missy
    My = me
    Myself = meself
    Nothing = nothin’
    Of = o’
    Protecting = protectin’
    Rather = right
    Tomorrow = t’morrow
    Who had = Who’d
    Waiting = a-waitin’
    Yes = aye
    You = ya
    You’re = yer
    You will = ya’ll

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
    Sith-I-5, leiamoody and Kahara like this.
  12. FanonSock

Nov 11, 2014
    Thanks for posting, Gamiel —I’ve updated the index. :)

And now… I’m pleased to introduce Preparations for Fanon Challenge No. 2—for which I will need a little help from the peanut gallery, i.e., you. :) Once again, given the nature of the thread, my first step has to be to gather permission from the writers of our fanon posts. This time I’m going to take a slightly different approach to that: I invite fifteen sixteen! people who have written fanon posts in this thread (this can be anyone who’s listed in the thread index, here) to each volunteer one of their fanon elements* for use in this challenge.

I’ll write each person’s element (with a link) into the list below in the order in which people volunteer. This list will serve as one of two “dice lists” for the challenge—you’ll soon find out what the second one is. :D

*Yes, you may volunteer more than one if you have more than one—but please just one at a time (one per post), and please keep things within reason and don’t hog the list. :p

1. Zeltrons (canon species) by divapilot
    2. Elellumiwi (original species) by Kahara
    3. Food and beverages by leiamoody
    4. Guaymar (original planet) by Gahmah Raan
    5. Kiffar (canon species) by Chyntuck
    6. Ordo Aurorae Aureae (original organization) by Gamiel
    7. Gand (canon species) by Findswoman
    8. Vagran (canon planet) by Ewok Poet
    9. Kuat (canon planet) by Pandora
    10. Circleball by earlybird-obi-wan
    11. Sacorria (canon planet) by Ewok Poet
    12. Finta sempli (original Force power) by Findswoman
    13. Twi'lek Language by divapilot (part of this post—see paragraph "Language")
    14. Hoatzeri (original species) by Raissa Baiard
    15. S.P.A.G.E.T.T.I. (Special Project for the Accumulation of Gems and the Erasure of The Tetsus Instigator) by Sith-I-5
    16. Neuro-lamp by Viridian-Maiden

Once we reach fifteen, we'll get started on the challenge itself! List complete! The challenge itself will bein shortly—watch this space for further info.

As usual, feel free to ask if you have any questions. :)

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.
  13. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    I volunteer as tribute. I offer up my fanon on Zeltron customs. :D

14. Kahara

Kahara FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Mar 3, 2001
    Since I only have one fanon post, the choice is easy for me. :p I would be glad to see the Elellumiwi as an element in the challenge.

Findswoman and leiamoody like this.
  15. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    Kahara and Findswoman like this.
  16. Gahmah Raan

Gahmah Raan Jedi Master star 3

Feb 2, 2015
    I offer Guaymar for the first dice. AU depictions are perfectly acceptable given that some of the lore is tied to one of my fics' mythos.

17. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010

Clicked on the link and got "This video is unavailable. Sorry about that." Probably it's restricted to certain countries, and the United States is not on the list.

18. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    I'll offer my post about the Kiffar for the challenge.

19. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I'll offer my Ordo Aurorae Aureae tradition

No, it seems that the video is gone for me also. I copied that link from an old post and should have double checked that it still worked, do this video work for you? If so I will change the link to that video.
    :ben: You need to fix that by posting more fanon :ben:

jcgoble3, Kahara and Findswoman like this.
  20. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Kahara and leiamoody like this.
  21. FanonSock

Nov 11, 2014
    List updated. We're about halfway there—keep 'em coming, people! :)

22. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I'm hereby offering my post on Vagran, which should be expanded in the next couple of days.

I have a suggestion. How about a second throw if we get:
    - ourselves
    - the same authors as in the first challenge

23. FanonSock

Nov 11, 2014
    Thanks, Ewok Poet—added!

Absolutely, people will have to reroll the dice if they get themselves—that will be stated in the rules once the challenge is posted in earnest. :)

As to getting the same author one got in the first challenge... may I think that one over for a bit? It will kind of depend on the final makeup of the list, and right now nothing in that list would pose that problem: it's all stuff that either (a) wasn't in the first challenge at all, (b) was in the first challenge and didn't get taken, or (c) was in the first challenge and got taken but ultimately was never written about. But that certainly may change depending on who else volunteers, so I'll keep it in mind just in case.

Kahara and Ewok Poet like this.
  24. Pandora

Pandora Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 13, 2005
  25. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    Would it be okay if I submitted my Republic Marines for consideration, even though it's posted off-site and kinda needs updating to reflect the last couple of years' worth of stories?