main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource The Fanon Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by FanonSock, Nov 11, 2014.

1. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Done and done. :D[face_cow]

Findswoman likes this.
  2. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Ewok Poet what kind of technology do the ‘Skitees have their hands on?

-----------------------------

Anedon some questions:
    In what area of wild space do the Teris sector lay?
    Do the nomads on Darvin travell on the back of animals or use mechanical transports? And what kind of animals or transports do they use?
    How do the dark side presence on Learan affect people?
    Do you know of the Blazing Chain pirates http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Blazing_Chain ?

Anedon and Ewok Poet like this.
  3. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    None. They use tech gadgets as jewelry, as said somewhere in there. And nope, they don't do 'em clothes, either...

4. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Anedon have you read my post about general Force abilities*? I think some of the abilities there can be of interest for your priests/shamans in the Teris sector.
    * http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...st-725-on-p-29.50024318/page-11#post-52638976

Also, my Threats of the Unknown Regions post might also be of interest.

------------------------------------

I think you misunderstood me, with "what kind of technology do the ‘Skitees have their hands on" I was wondering at what "technological level" they were. I mean are they using stone tools or metal tools and what kind of mechanical inventions have they discovered.

5. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Kessel Run Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

May 11, 2016
    Gamiel

In what area of wild space do the Teris sector lay?
    I imagine them being in the south east of the galaxy. They are not far from the Hutt space, in old Athenar territory and not affected by the Vong War.

Do the nomads on Darvin travell on the back of animals or use mechanical transports? And what kind of animals or transports do they use?
    They don´t ride on animals, the Gronx are as big as a house and very slow. To travell they mostly use vehicles, from simple landspeeders likes Lukes has in ANH to larger and more modernized versions which are used for transport of goods and as a shelter from the massive storms that periodicaly happen on Darvin. Although whenever possible the Darvinites stay oustide and sleep below the Stars.

How do the dark side presence on Learan affect people?
    Not very strong actually. The people on Learan are not very fond of outisders but they are not evil in any way. And they hold the Jedi in high respect for helping them a few times against a disease. So while they are more paranoid and isolated than most other Terians they are not affected further.

Do you know of the Blazing Chain pirates http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Blazing_Chain ?
    No I´ve now read about them but they don´t really fit. The pirates in the Teris sector had just one forces user, their leader, inside their ranks and were all crushed at the end of the war.

Have you read my post about general Force abilities*? I think some of the abilities there can be of interest for your priests/shamans in the Teris sector.
    * http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...st-725-on-p-29.50024318/page-11#post-52638976
    No but I will look into it, although these priests don´t really activley use the force its very instinctive.

Also, my Threats of the Unknown Regions post might also be of interest.
    I will look into that too, Thanks. :)

I´ve also added a new planet and a timeline to the post.

Gamiel likes this.
  6. FanonSock

FanonSock Jedi Master star 1

Nov 11, 2014
    Just a quick 'n' friendly reminder that there is now exactly ONE WEEK to get your votes in for the Fanon AU Challenge! So far three people have voted—can we get up to at least ten? Oh, how fantastic that would be... :D

Gamiel, Kahara and Ewok Poet like this.
  7. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    Would have posted this much sooner, but couldn't because internet troubles.

Food & Drink

As a coffee lover I decided there ought to be GFFA equivalent words for the different kinds of coffee.

Caf – Coffee (established canon, put here for reference)
    Stimcaf – Espresso (canon word, but I think canon usage may be different)
    Instacaf – Instant coffee
    Uncaf – Decaf coffee
    Sweetcaf – Cappuccino
    Milkcaf – Latte
    Darkcaf – Mocha
    Dark Milkcaf – Mocha latte
    Dark Sweetcaf – Mochaccino
    Double Stimcaf – Double espresso
    Jazzed – Qualifier denoting an extra shot of espresso in a coffee drink (Example: Jazzed Sweetcaf – Cappuccino with an extra shot of espresso)

I choose to believe that there are many foods in the GFFA that are the same or nearly the same as their Earthly counterparts/equivalents, but they are called different names.

Ziippa – Pizza
    Pomato – Tomato
    Zarmepan – Parmesan
    Zeptrel – Pretzel
    Maraccel – Caramel
    Neapuut butter – Peanut butter
    Ananas – Pineapple. Also known as Conifruit, because the exterior texture of the fruit looks like the cones of coniferous trees.
    Ananas Lucasii – Also known as the Common Conifruit, this is the variety many citizens of the GFFA think of first when they think of Conifruit. A visitor to the GFFA from Earth would find it indistinguishable from the familiar pineapples available in many North American grocery stores.
    Ananas Correllianis – Also known as Correllian Conifruit. This variety is spherical in shape and has a slightly spicy flavor. It is almost as common as Ananas Lucasii.
    Ananas Feluciana – Also known as Felucian Conifruit. This is by far the most impressive variety of Ananas in the GFFA. The fruits often grow as large as a meter in height, weighing up to 150 pounds. It has a buttery sweet flavor and the most common uses are for ice cream, and peeled and roasted whole as a showstopper dessert at large banquets. Its neon hues glow under blacklight.
    Ananas Silicanensis – Also known as Sand Conifruit. This hardy variety grows well on desert worlds such as Tatooine and Jakku. The fruit is small, about the size of a large Human male’s fist, and has a more tart flavor than the other varieties.
    Ananas Glacierii – Also known as Ice Conifruit. Another hardy variety, Ananas Glacierii is well adapted to arctic climates. It is the same size as Ananas Silicanensis, and spherical in shape. Its delicate, crisp sweetness makes it a popular choice for a light snack, and also well suited to wine making.
    Ananas Aquarius – Also known as Ocean Conifruit. Adapted to water worlds, this unique variety of Ananas actually grows underwater. Its spherical fruit is approximately twice the size of Ananas Correllianis, with a salty-sweet flavor.
    Zabil – Space! Basil
    Siramitu – Tiramisu (I’m not completely sure why my brain decided that the GFFA needed tiramisu, because I’ve never even eaten it, but it sounds yummy, so here it is anyway, because why not.)

Koffaccia – Foccacia
    Red Alert Bean Stew -- Basically chili
    Lava Pepper -- A very spicy variety of hot pepper. Similar to a Habañero.

Zarmepana Réjiana -- A specific variety of zarmepan cheese. Only zarmepan cheese made on Naboo can be sold as Zarmepana Réjiana. (Inspired by RL Parmagiano Reggiano)
    Zomarella -- Space! Mozzarella
    Zomarella di Nerfalla -- Zomarella cheese made from nerf milk. Zomarella can be made from the milk of other animals, but only zomarella cheese made from nerf milk can be sold as Zomarella di Nerfalla. (Inspired by RL Mozzarella di Buffala)
    Gazphetti -- Space! Spaghetti
    Csiaprutto -- Space! Prosciutto
    Arglic -- Space! Garlic
    Arenago -- Space! Oregano

Cettuffini Falredo -- Space! Fettuccini Alfredo. Note to anyone making this to try to impress someone from Naboo: Do not use ANGRY MACE™ Dairy Free Artificial Cheese Product. Your date will not go well.

(Why do I have things that are obviously GFFA versions of Italian food coming from Naboo? Because Naboo is Space! Italy.)

Last edited: May 12, 2019
  8. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Cowgirl Jedi 1701

- Love, love, love all these variants of caf. :)

- The fruit in question is actually called ananas in pretty much all languages other than English (pineapple) and Brazilian Portuguese (abacaxi). It's one of those cases where a thing may sound foreign to you, but it isn't foreign to anybody else. While I love the variants and I am definitely going to use them - a Galaxy without pineapples is a sad, sad place - I'd recommend a word jumble of some sort, or use just conifruit (great name, btw).

Gamiel

I understood you perfectly, but at this point, those things are not relevant. If they become relevant, I will think 'em up.

Kahara, Gamiel and Findswoman like this.
  9. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Well, if we're on the topic of food, I'll confide that in my personal fanon, a "sunfruit" is pretty much like an orange. For pizza, what about a "flatpie?" I like the pomato, though, think I may borrow it... The "Pomme" from the French apple tying into the original nickname of tomatoes as "love apples"--all in all, a nice portmanteau!

And now I'm hungry.

Kahara, Findswoman and Ewok Poet like this.
  10. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    In my fanon, ryoo is space!basil, but also space!thyme. :D

And many more. This is the first time I find the one-post-per-month limiting, and I lament over all those months I didn't post a thing.

Flatpie could also account for a focaccia and such. As a general term.

In the tinydeathstar mobile game that was cute, fun, but - sadly - discontinued; there was huttza. I use that as pizza. I even have some huttza recipes in my stories.

Kahara and Findswoman like this.
  11. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    Oh, huttza! I like that!

Kahara, Ewok Poet and Findswoman like this.
  12. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000

Huttza Hut must be as popular in GFFA as its Earth equivalent.

Kahara and Ewok Poet like this.
  13. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Huttza the Hutt. :p

14. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Just realized I haven't said anything on the current discussion topic yet, though I've been meaning to:

My own interest in fanon involves a little bit of all of the above. :D When I started to get to know the SW expanded universe more back in the mid-1990s, one thing that struck me was that not everything that was filled out there was equally filled out there—there were some aspects, elements, characters, species, planets, cultures, etc. that got noticeably less attention in the EU literature than others, or that got juuust a few tantalizing tidbits, and that was it. It turned out that many of my own favorites were in that very category, so fanon creation and expansion was the logical next step (that was around when the foundations of my Gand fanon material were laid, for example). That’s also when I started to see there were a good number of inconsistencies in the EU, and I saw my fanon activity as being at least partly a corrective to some of those—though honestly, fixing all of those is more than any human being can do! :oops:

The “creatively minded community" part of things didn't really come along till I joined here—I was operating pretty much solo before then, and boy, what a difference it’s made to meet others who are expanding the established lore in similar ways! Beside inspiring me to branch out a good bit, the friendship and support have been second to none. Thank you all. @};-

15. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Looks like I haven't done so, either. So, okay, here we go...

I was never into "fannish" communities because - quite frankly - they scare me dudu-less. The wishful thinking, the overanalysis and super-detailed criticism, the lingo, people who would kill their own mother for a fictional character - it scares me almost as much as celebrity fandoms do, and those have been getting scarier, year after year. But this place made me change my mind, to an extent where I was comfortable enough to participate.

I was drawn by the prospect of - as the question says, satisfaction of filling in gaps and lacks in canon. In this particular case, I wanted to fix a huge disparity between how the character looked as a teenager vs. how the character looked as an adult. And that warranted a 60K epic, apparently. But then I saw that there are so many possibilities to play with fanon: expand on what was not expanded upon, create new cultures and get better as a writer on the way.

And, of course, finding like-minded people was a BIG deal. :D

16. Gahmah Raan

Gahmah Raan Jedi Master star 3

Feb 2, 2015
    Added some artwork for the Skakoan Commandos as well as mention in the culture section that some of the GCW-era Commandos were disgruntled former Techno Union employees.

Gamiel and Ewok Poet like this.
  17. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014

Will need that at some point, so VIELDANK. :D

18. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    Excellent. I knew I wasn't the only coffee loving fanficcer who needed this in their life.

I am quite aware that Ananas is the actual genus name for pineapple, however it was a case of wanting something that a reader could figure out without having read the fanon post. And yes, to my English speaking ear, the Latin(?) sounded foreign enough to "belong" in the GFFA.

How are your readers supposed to know which one you mean? Maybe it will help if I create my own word for space!basil.

Since the opening post of this thread does not specifically define what "once a month" means, I go by the calendar date. If it's after the first, it's the next month, even if I made my last fanon post last week. I read that part of the rules over carefully, and it's definitely open to interpretation, so that's the way I choose to interpret it.

I think flatbread would be quite acceptable as a general term for, um.... flat bread.... uh, things.

I have come across "huttza" as an equivalent for pizza, and, although I understand the derivation (Pizza the Hutt, from Spaceballs), my brain simply cannot fathom how it is possible for anyone to equate something as delicious as pizza with something as disgusting as a slimy Hutt. Therefore ziippa.... And Ziippa Hut. (Note to self: Must edit Food & Drink fanon post.)

I like "sunfruit". But I gotta say, it sounds to me like a general term that could mean just about any kind of citrus fruit.

I think I actually thought of that when I was trying to invent a GFFA word for pizza, but then I decided I wanted something that sounded more.... pizza-y.

I did have that in the back of my mind when I came up with it, but I was also thinking of how somebody (I forget who) used "topato" for "potato". And borrow away. That's what it's in the fanon thread for.

I don't remember what "portmanteau" means.

Of course you are. We're talking about food! [face_laugh]

Ewok Poet likes this.
  19. FanonSock

Nov 11, 2014
    Just a reminder that there are FOUR days left to get your votes in for the Fanon AU Challenge. Keep 'em coming, people! :)

Ewok Poet likes this.
  20. FanonSock

Nov 11, 2014
    OhwhatagooseIam! I meant to do this about four days ago, but RL—including a whopper of a cold and some mysterious back pain out of almost nowhere—delayed me. So here it is now:

I am very pleased to announce that the winner of the Fanon AU Challenge is... Pandora, with Pale Iris!

Congratulations on your win, Pandora! =D= The mods will be in touch with you soon about colors, and you get to choose the next Fanon Thread challenge theme! Drop this sock a PM when you have come up with something. :)

Many thanks to both Pandora and Sith-I-5 for taking part in the challenge, and for Ewok Poet for providing such an engaging challenge theme. :)

21. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Congratulations, Pandora !

I wasn't keen on having to choose the next challenge, so fairly relieved that someone besides me won.

22. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Congratulations, Pandora! =D= And kudos to both of you for taking part in the challenge. Glad to see this thread thriving. :)

Kahara and Ewok Poet like this.
  23. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
  24. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Thank you to everyone who stopped by to read and comment on my entry; that was a very good turnout for me.

25. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    FanonSock I forgot how short February is, can I use this post for my February fanon post?

Slugthrowers and Sorcery

An inuniverse fantasy-adventure genre that take place a long time a go in an unspecified past, back when the mapped stars where few, people fought with sabres and slugthrowers and magic was plentiful. The Slugthrowers and Sorcery genre is represented in all media forms.

Some titles:

Lord Hoth: the Legendary Journey

Ksena: Zeison Sha Princess

Ilric of Moraband
    The albino sorcerer-king of the Sith, who caries a sith-blade made out of black crystal that throb with an inner glow, later in the Ilric saga it is reviled that the sword is actually the prison for one of the elder Sith gods. The saga also present Ilric as the main reason why the Sith species so quickly disappeared as a major faction in the galaxy.

Sal Solo the Barbarian, destined to wear the jeweled crown of Corellia upon a troubled brow

Salaman Kiane the Jedi

Kahara likes this.