main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource The Fanon Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by FanonSock, Nov 11, 2014.

1. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016

I haven't come up with any names yet, but I have been thinking about it. I've decided that since the calendar is Coruscant based, the months would have to be derived from the ancient Coruscant language of Notron Cant, which Ben Burtt based on Old High Germanic. So I was thinking of some combination of Old High Germanic months, the Roman tradition of basically naming months "seventh month", "ten month", etc., and maybe a planet or two from the Coruscant system. I just wish there was something I could extrapolate from, just one month name concretely established. I know this is the fanon thread but for something as important as the names of the months I just don't feel comfortable completely fabricating them wholesale.

What approach did you take?

2. Darth_Elu

Darth_Elu Chosen One star 7

Jan 2, 2003
    Daneira Based mine off of the name of races, planets, and people of influence over specific periods of time dating back to the beginning of the galactic historical records. This is taking more of an omnipotent view in a sense, admittedly as not all of it are widely known to the citizens…but hey, the Force works in mysterious ways. May have created the names without knowing for all we know.

This is what I came up with, using the Wookieepedia page regarding the Galactic Standard Calendar to expand from.

New Year Fete Week

1st Month: Notronus (42 Days)

2nd Month: Killika (29 Days)

3rd Month: Kwanan (37 Days)

4th Month: Rakatane (36 Days)

5th Month: Tythonel (31 Days)

6th Month: Organeon (40 Days)

Festival of Life Week

7th Month: Filloreanus
    (31 Days)

8th Month: Alsakember (40 days)

9th Month: Cressamur (36 Days)

Festival of Stars Week

10th Month: Valoru
    (31 Days)​

3. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    I LOVE THIS. :D

AzureAngel2 and Darth_Elu like this.
  4. Darth_Elu

Jan 2, 2003
    *bows* Thank ye. Was rather proud of it myself. :D

AzureAngel2 and Ewok Poet like this.
  5. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    AzureAngel2, Daneira and Darth_Elu like this.
  6. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Some good work there, Darth_Elu

And like the months that we have, named after Roman Emperors, it would make sense for at least one month to reference the Rakatans.

AzureAngel2 and Darth_Elu like this.
  7. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Great stuff Daneira and Darth_Elu! I've been following a calendar almost identical to Daneira's -- the only difference is that, instead of selecting three holidays throughout the year, I used the first day of each festival as a holiday, so each one of my extra "weeks" is 1+5 days. However, I only ever used my calendar to keep track of events in a fic without actual in-story references to days/months. I'm going to adjust all this with elements from your calendars now :)

AzureAngel2, Daneira and Darth_Elu like this.
  8. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    Xaan Doro

Astrographical information
    Region: Unknown Regions

Sector: Kairos Sector

System: Seauton System

Sun(s): 1

Moons(s): 3

Rotation period: 27 hours

Orbital period: 359 days

Physical

Class: Terrestrial

Atmosphere: Type I (breathable for humans)

Climate: Temperate with seasonal variations

Gravity: Standard

Primary terrain: Mountains
    Rivers
    Jungles
    Stone valleys

Points of interest: River of Light
    Temple of Iziaka
    Isle of Repose

Native geology: Force sensitive stones

Societal
    Native species: Vonitals

Immigrated species: Humans
    Various alien species

Primary language(s): Galactic Basic Standard
    The Lady's Speech (religious language)

Government: Ecumenical synod

Population: 115,200

Major cities: Eternity's Light
    Lady's Haven
    Center of the Sun (unofficial capital)

Affiliation: High Order of Iziaka
    Old Republic
    Alliance to Restore the Republic
    New Republic

Xaan Doro was a planet devoted to the ancient religion called Iziaka. It was the birthplace of Qui-Gon Jinn, among other notable members of the Jedi Order.

Description
    Xaan Doro was an isolated planet located at the farthest known point of the Unknown Regions near the hyperspace route called The Sword’s Edge. It was a lush terrestrial world with a temperate climate dominated by jungles and rivers. A large body of water called the Eternal Sea stretched across the northern half of the planet, dotted with artificial islands that served as burial grounds for members of the Iziaka Order. Four rivers crisscrossed the planet, intersecting at the junction known as the Pilgrim’s Ford.

The planet was a Force nexus strong in the Light Side. This protected Xaan Doro from any infilitration by the Dark Side. The strength of the Light Side was imbued within all living things and extended into the soil and mountains. A notable example of this unique pervasiveness was Force sensitive stones located within the rivers and the Eternal Sea.

Several native species existed on Xaan Doro, including the semi-sentient herbivores called vonitals.

History
    Human and Ithorian pilgrims in search of a foretold planet that would become home to a great spiritual awakening first discovered Xaan Doro. These pilgrims founded the Iziaka Order, devoted to the worship of the Great Power and the protectoress “Barbelo”, later simply called “The Lady”. They began construction on the large temple complex that eventually housed over 20,000 individuals. Other structures arose in a concentric circle around the temple, forming an unofficial planetary capital, Center of the Sun. Smaller settlements were erected to accommodate such groups as monks, anchorites, and off-world visitors. Eternity’s Light, a special community of oracles, was established in the southern hemisphere.

The rest of the galaxy became aware of Xaan Doro when a priestess named Khamsin established contact with the Whills in 30,000 BBY after a small contingent of the nomadic religious order began studying at the Temple of Iziaka. This connection eventually allowed Khamsin to begin a regular correspondence with the hermit-mystic Qui-Ko on Tython that lasted for thirty years.

Discovery of lost knowledge
    The Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn, a distant relative of Qui-Ko, was born on Xaan Doro in 92 BBY. His mother was an oracle who foresaw a great destiny for her infant son, so she placed him into the care of the Jedi Order on Coruscant. Jinn retained a strong connection with his birth planet and came to the planet on several occasions in order to research the Temple Archives. It was during one such visit when he uncovered the chronicles of Whills teachings on the existence of the Afterlife. This discovery began a quest for the knowledge once commonly known in the Living World, including the process of maintaining a spiritual identity after physical death. Eventually Jinn would pass on this knowledge to his former teacher, Yoda, and former student, Obi-Wan Kenobi.

9. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    reserverving this post for the 'Spawns of the Storm'

The Spawn of the Storm
    The Spawn’s is a mostly Amphi-Hydrus cult that believes in spreading chaos on worlds that have grown to tranquil and orderly. They usually do this by destroying, or reprograming, weather control satellites; destroying infrastructural junctions and summoning storms. Most of the inner members of the cult are Force users, some with notable power.

The Spawn of the Storm don’t care about the death, destruction or terror they create but are also not specifically trying to cause it either, their actions are not focused on death tolls or material destruction only in creating chaos and change.

Once they have created enough chaos they will leave the planet (often with as much plunder as they can take, just because they do what they do for chaos in itself don’t mean they have any philosophical objections against using the opportunities created by the chaos), but they sometime leave before that, if they feel they are in more danger the usual (they are not martyrs after all).

Besides the spreading of chaos so are the Spawns interested in things that can increase their own mystical powers, preferably knowledge since items can so easily be lost in a storm.

When it comes to the Force so are the Spawn of the Storm focused on weather manipulation but also has some other skills (most of it focusing empowering the Amphi-Hydrus natural telepathy). They are ritualistic in their approach, when they summon a storm they usually perform a half-hour long dance-like ritual (they actually call this “dancing up a storm”) at dawn, midday, twilight and midnight for a couple of days until they consider the storm coming to be fittingly big.

10. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    leiamoody Some questions regarding Xaan Doro: How do the people dress? How do their architecture/s look like? Is there a kind of technology/gadget/items that they don’t have/use or is unique to them? Any unique superstitions? Any kinds of festivals/holydays of interest? What kind of martial tradition do they have and what arms and armour do they use? Any ideas about the animal and/or plant life? How is their food? Are the humans and ithorians fully sharing the same culture or are they divided? What third species make up the largest minority groups? Any group/species that they have prejudice to? How do the light side nexus affect people?

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  11. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Gamiel. Paragraphs. Line breaks. This is unpleasant to read. o_O

I'm serious. It's a mess. :p

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  12. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    leiamoody

Some great work there! I like what you have done.

Is the River of Light glowy in some way, or is the name religion-based?

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  13. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    I never thought that far ahead. Those are good questions, for the record.

Thank you. :) The River of Light doesn't glow, it's metaphorical, like the "river of enlightenment". I got the concept from the River of Light mentioned in the Jedi Apprentice books by Jude Watson. I liked the idea, even though Qui-Gon's homeworld was never named or described in greater detail.

14. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Ewok Food and Beverages List

Most of Ewok meals are either eaten raw, smoked for later use or cooked on a skewer or in a clay pot on open fire. The fire pits may be the outside, larger ones; or the small ones on top of hollow trunks in each hut. Typically, a village has one or two public flour mills and there are Ewoks tasked with hunting, fishing, berry-picking and guarding the supply hut. However, families cook at their own huts. Most foods are cooked on chicken lard, though certain types of sour fruits are known to produce oils that can resist higher temperatures. These may be used for special occasions. The reason these oils are not widespread is the complicated process required to remove pits from most of these fruits.

Foods such as equivalents of our rotisserie chicken, game or goat (gee-om and blasé tree goat are both caprine species), fried or grilled fish and such won’t be mentioned in this guide. Similarly, all fruits can be made into fruit juices and alcoholic drinks, only the specialties are mentioned.

The guide may be updated whenever I think of something new or find something I can elaborate on on Wook.

...​

Spikeback pike with sour sunberry sauce - A savoury dish usually served at the end of each moon. Pikes are seasoned and seasonings may depend on the part of Endor, even individual villages. Sunberry sauce is made with unripe sunberries, aura spice and a dash of gee-om milk.

Tusk-pie with sour cream - Contains chicken meat, gee-om butter and dustroot flour, as well as some basic seasonings. Chicken tusks are commonly used as decorations.

Honey melon cookie - A common dessert at the Harvest Festival, made of honey melons, various nuts, gee-ome butter, sugar and dustroot flour. It’s baked in a special, rounded clay dish with a lid. (source)

Sausage and bacon – These are made of gee-om or chicken meat and, in cases of extreme food shortage, game animals. Bacon may be used instead of chicken lard in some cases, by better cooks.

Vegetable stew - Made with various vegetables and meats. In some areas, fish may be added, too. Batcheela, Teebo and Malani's mother is known to make a good one, but Malani once famously claimed that Kneesaa's was better than her mother's!

Egg cakes - Similar to omelettes, fritattas and quiches, these are usually made with sausage or bacon pieces and, perhaps, vegetables. Basically, anything can go into those and sometimes, the combinations aren’t the most flattering ones.

The Berry Dancer - Essentially a milkshake of sorts. A cold berry, milk and egg foam dessert. Made with all kinds of berries. The rare dangleberry variant is popular across the Galaxy under the name of Dangleberry Shake, but the non-Endorian dangleberries never have the same taste. (source)

Chak juice - A beverage served at the Festival in Love, when chak cards are handed. Made from a blend of berries. (source)

Aura spice - Made from the aura blossom seeds, this is a refreshing addition to a glass of cold water or meals that need additional zing. Tastes like our star anise.

Rainbow berry pie - Made from rainbow berries, in a process similar to the one described for honey melon pie and baked in a special, rounded dish with a lid. These are served at the Harvest Moon Feast. (source)

Dustroot flour - The flour used for baking and rouxes, as well as for most basic of the glues. (source)

Gee-om milk - Milk from the typical Endorian goat. Easiest to come by.

Blasé tree goat milk - A rarer kind of milk, harder to come by as blasé tree goats live in trees. Thicker and sweeter than gee-om milk.

Taffy - a sticky mass of boiled sugar and gee-om butter, sometimes additionally flavoured. Widdle Warrick loves it. (source)

Ba'tah - a vegetable the roat of which used as a side for various meats. It may also be mashed, put in a stew or baked. Related to topato, eaten in the rest of the galaxy, but more brightly coloured and sweeter.

Ice-on-a-stick - A confectionery served in the winter, usually with bits of taffy and berries added to ice. (source)

Endorian port (K'lung) - A light red wine considered a thing of privilege away from Endor (source)

Sunberry wine - Another light wine, white. (source)

Grava berry schnapps - A strong alcoholic drink made of fermented grava berry juice. Grava berries on their own don't taste as well as other kinds of berries and if they're seen floating on the surface of the schnapps pot, they're usually discarded. (source)

Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
  15. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Ewok Poet no recipe for corellian roast?

16. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    Flora and Fauna

(I have more than what is posted here, but it is currently trapped on a laptop with a malfunctioning screen.)

Dooka -- A mammavian creature native to Serenity. Related to mookas, but larger and more doglike in appearance. The body is primarily covered in short fur, which comes in a variety of colors and patterns, but brightly colored feathers are also present. These feathers are usually found on the forehead/crown area, neck, lower legs, and the upper side of the tail, but patches can be found on other parts of the body as well. The feathers are more decorative than functional, but they can be fluffed to make the dooka look larger than it is. Naturally friendly and fairly intelligent, they are easily domesticated and make great pets.

Halcyon Sea Serpent -- An eel-like aquatic creature native to Serenity. Technically omnivores, they eat mostly seaweed, but occasionally munch on small fish and crustaceans. They have a docile temperament and frequently swim quite close to or even rub up against swimmers. Divers will attest that their mating dances are a marvelous sight to behold. They are a favorite prey of the kresher. Halcyon Sea Serpents are very desirable as aquarium pets, and are also bred for their colorful skins.

Kresher -- A sharklike aquatic creature native to Serenity. They grow to an average of about one meter in length, though larger specimens have been observed. Kreshers are always some shade of gray or brown, sometimes exhibiting patterns of stripes or spots. Although they are not usually aggressive towards swimmers, they have been known to bite the head-tails of Nautolan and Twi'lek swimmers. This probably occurs because the kreshers mistake the colorful appendages for their favorite prey, Halcyon sea serpents. Kreshers also eat fish.

Ewok Poet, AzureAngel2 and Gamiel like this.
  17. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014

That was not very nice.

18. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Have posted my 'Spawns of the Storm' fanon
    True, but you have to admit it was a bit fun :p

19. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Not fun at all.

20. FanonSock

FanonSock Jedi Master star 1

Nov 11, 2014
    OK, everyone! Please be nice. If someone says they don't like a joke that you make, then don't belabor it—just apologize and drop it. Easiest thing in the Galaxy. Let's try to keep the atmosphere in this thread pleasant for everyone here. :)

I know I am a good bit behind on updating and on responding to queries, due to a combination of RL and the awards, and I do apologize—going to try to get things updated over the next few days. To those who have sent PMs, thanks for your patience—I appreciate your sending them and I'll do my best to get to them soon.

Yes, please do, that would be helpful. :) Also, Cowgirl Jedi 1701, for the new post you added above, please also send this sock a message with a link, just for recordkeeping purposes. Thanks so much!

Darth_Elu, Daneira and Ewok Poet like this.
  21. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Sorry. Did not mean to come of as belabouring* it, I misinterpreted EP's comment as meaning that my joke was bad, not that she did not find it funny.

* new word for me. Had to look it up.

That remind me, I own you some PM:s

22. FanonSock

FanonSock Jedi Master star 1

Nov 11, 2014
    Hello everyone—time to announce some long overdue updates! Once again, thank you all for your patience, and I do apologize that it's taken so long.

Ewok Poet has updated her post on Vagran to include the text of the planetary anthem, “The World in Green.”

EP has also contributed a brand new fanon post, on Ewok food and beverages.

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 has updated her post on Companies.

Cowgirl has also contributed a brand new fanon post, on the flora and fauna of her planet Serenity.

Several new things from Gamiel : a new post on The Spawn of the Storm, another (from an earlier month) on the in-universe fantasy genre known as Slugthrowers and Sorcery, and an update to his post on the Lahara sector. He also has separated out a post on Criminal Organizations from his main Organizations post. (Note that this was all done in different months, per the rules of the thread.)

Finally, I’m going to page Darth_Elu once again; if you could please send me the link to your Shado Vamiri post, I’ll add it to the index. EDIT: Done. Elu's Shado Varmiri and Galactic Calendar posts have now been added to the index.

Thank you all once again for your patience and for bearing with me through all these delays! It’s much appreciated. :)

Gamiel, Ewok Poet and Darth_Elu like this.
  23. Darth_Elu

Jan 2, 2003
    Apologies, I'll PM you soon. :)

Findswoman likes this.
  24. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    I've added information on wedding traditions and children in the city of Mehr here.

Findswoman and Gamiel like this.
  25. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Corporations

TSC: a force field manufacture. Specialising in large sized force fields, like the once using to shield cities or planets.

Maximum Inc.: a mega corporation that is known for their manufactory of: droids (most known are their lines of sanitation-, domestic-, and security droids); fully enclosed biodomes; security systems; VR-consuls and VR-games. They also manufacture many other products but at a smaller scale.

DivaDroid Interstellar: manufacture company that produce droids, ship AI:s, and simpler (non-hyperspace capable) droid ships. They are mostly known for their series of sanitation and domestic droids. Their most well-known product is the Kry-10 series of sanitation droids.

Jovian Mining Corporation (JMC) = a deep space mining corporation, known for their red painted, city sized mining ships.

Pierce Cybernetics: a biomechatronics company that mostly deal in medical- and military-cybernetics.

Spiral Bodyshop: a biomechatronics company that mostly deal in medical-cybernetics and cybernetic body modifications. Their logotype is a dancing six-armed woman where four of the arms are mechanical.

Zabink Mining Corp.: A mining corporation that specialise in working in desert environment. Beside traditional mining do they also do water-mining.

Shuko inc.: A general trading company. Most people probably know of it through their range of air cleaners that are used on many worlds and spaceships. The current head is Guis Shuko who is known for his patronage of historical studies and archaeology (evil tongues say that he’s only doing it to help increase his own collection of artefacts).
    * when it comes to how Shuko inc. looks/feel so are my inspirations Japanese corporations, as presented in American 80's & 90's movies, like: Nakatomi Corporation/Die Hard; Nakamoto Corporation/Rising Sun; Victor Guisman's unnamed corporation/Double Dragon; Pharmakom/Johnny Mnemonic;

Last edited: May 1, 2019
    Findswoman and Ewok Poet like this.