main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT The Fantastic Ian McDiarmid

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Darthkarma, May 18, 2002.

1. Darthkarma

Darthkarma Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2000

He just keeps getting better.

He only had 4 scenes as Palpatine in AOTC,
    and one as Sidious.

MORE IAN PLEASE!

2. rsterling78

rsterling78 Jedi Knight star 5

May 26, 2002
    Ian McDiarmid in AOTC is camp and ham all rolled into one.

Yeah, kinda like Shakespeare was a two-bit playwright and Louis Armstrong was a third-rate musician.

I guess it's pointless to argue when people have diametrically opposing points-of-view regarding this or that actor's performance. Nonetheless, I would have thought McDiarmid would be the one actor we could all agree on.

In my opinion, absolutely no other actor could have played Palpatine. It's like imagining Rick in Casablanca being played by someone other than Bogart. Just doesn't work.

I'm shocked to discover McDiarmid was only 35 when he played the Emperor in ROTJ! What a performance!

3. Emperor_Dan

Emperor_Dan Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 1999
    I didn't think the lines Ian was given for AOTC were as good as TPM or ROTJ. His performances in those two were nothing short of brilliant.

It's so easy for us to see what he is saying is total BS, but it seems that easy for anyone in the movie as well.

4. SLAVE2

SLAVE2 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    I really hope in Episode 3, there is a scene that parralels ROTJ. The Vader/Luke/Palpatine scenes, but with Dooku/Sidious/Anakin. That would just be so awesome, Chris Lee, Ian McDiarmid and Hayden all together in one of the most important scenes in the film! [/Homer Simpson type drool]

5. Darthkarma

Aug 30, 2000

SLAVE2 you read my mind! Thanks for saying it! You are correct...that scene would be AWESOME!

6. Yoda_The_Master

Yoda_The_Master Jedi Youngling

Jun 14, 2002
    I love the way when he says, "You have done well." and does his walk with the robe partially covering his face. I enjoyed every scene with Palpatine.

7. Darth-Solo

Darth-Solo Jedi Youngling star 1

May 26, 2002
    Well, everybody but AL doesn't see his performance as camp or hammy. I agree that he played his role perfectly,and to me,that's great acting.

8. Luke_Clone

Luke_Clone Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    ::Luke_Clone yet again proves that he can't keep his word by not posting in an acting thread::

I thought he was good. Not as good as in TPM and ROTJ but personally he has so very little screen time I think that affected his performance as compared to the other two films. There was a lot more resting on him in those two films where he had to really carry the film along as opposed to AOTC where he is a "bit player" methinks.

I thought he delivered his lines the way they should have been delivered. His lines in the Senate were so obviously deceitful it was funny, and I liked that. Then again, someone who hasn't seen the other films would probably believe him... in fact they probably wouldn't care. ;)

9. SLAVE2

SLAVE2 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    I hope he says "Tyranus" again in Episode 3 :) I dont know why, but that sounded so cool! :cool:

10. __theo__

__theo__ Jedi Youngling star 1

May 21, 2002
    Ian McDiarmid was absolutely brilliant in the Inspector Morse episode "Masonic Mysteries". I'm being careful here not to spoil the mystery for people, but it's worth a look to see how he might act *IF* Palpatine is revealed as Sidious in EPIII. If you've seen the show, you'll know what I mean :)

11. Kenneth-Morgan

Kenneth-Morgan Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 6, 2000
    People who say that Ian McDiarmid was "hammy" in ROTJ are missing the point. At that point in the story, Palpatine had been in total control for at least twenty-five years. He was the undisputed master of the Dark Side and the leader of the Sith. He had power and majesty to spare. And he knew it.

In that position, of course he'd seem overconfident and condescending, playing up the powerful villainy angle for all it was worth. And McDiarmid played him brilliantly; he was truly chilling as this twisted, depraved dictator.

It is to the MPAAS' shame that McDiarmid wasn't nominated for an Oscar for ROTJ or TPM and, barring Divine intervention, won't be for AOTC, either.

12. Bresson

Bresson Jedi Youngling star 3

May 16, 2002
    I've never understood fanboys love affair with this guy. I've never seen him in any other movies, so my judgment is only based on STAR WARS, and my verdict is he's ok, but does nothing hundreds of other actors couldn't do. Actually, if he were younger, C. Lee would have been perfect in the role, more noble, intelligent, and menacing.

13. Darthkarma

Aug 30, 2000
    Theo, I hope to see that Masonic Mysteries episode sometime. It sounds like Ian was good in it and I always enjoy watching him act. He was pretty good in SLEEPY HOLLOW too.

I agree with the other posters than he didn't have as much to do in AOTC as we would have liked, but he still did his usual good job. WELCOME HOME LORD TYRANUS. :)
    He can even take a simple greeting and make it interesting.

I hope he has lots more to do and has a chance to shine in EPISODE III.

P.S. - Bresson, I don't consider myself a fanboy AT ALL, and I love McDiarmid's acting.

14. Emperor_Dan

Aug 21, 1999
    Bresson, Lee is perfect for Dooku. Dooku and Palpatine are two totally different characters. Palpatine is a very chilling dictator. He's basically swimming in his power. You can almost parallel him to the Jedi Council that he sought to destroy, both are complacent, and have lost the power to see the future. Palpatine isn't quite as bad as the Jedi though, but he too attacks the threat that he thinks can destroy him (Luke, Rebel Alliance), and doesn't see the threat in Vader. For the Jedi, these would be the Confederacy and Palpatine respectively. But while Vader destroys Palpatine out of love for his son, Palpatine destroys the Jedi out of hate for them.

15. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Bresson, Lee is perfect for Dooku. Dooku and Palpatine are two totally different characters. Palpatine is a very chilling dictator. He's basically swimming in his power. You can almost parallel him to the Jedi Council that he sought to destroy, both are complacent, and have lost the power to see the future. Palpatine isn't quite as bad as the Jedi though, but he too attacks the threat that he thinks can destroy him (Luke, Rebel Alliance), and doesn't see the threat in Vader. For the Jedi, these would be the Confederacy and Palpatine respectively. But while Vader destroys Palpatine out of love for his son, Palpatine destroys the Jedi out of hate for them.

Palpatine is most certainly not complacent... he's set up this grand trap for everyone. You must admit that it was brilliant, for he had everyone trapped. It was working too, because Vader was still trying to turn Luke to the Dark Side until the very, very end. He was just overconfident--and after that many years in supreme and unchallenged power, who can blame him?

Also, Palpatine could see the future very well. He set up this plan, and I bet his whole ascention was part of something he'd foreseen. "All is going as planned..." According to the novel, part of the Chosen One prophecy was the rise of the Dark Side, and in the movie Yoda wasn't very suprised that "The shroud of the Dark Side" had fallen. They all knew something bad (good in Uncle Palps' case) was going to happen.

Palpatine's problem in the end was that he failed to realize that the future was always in motion. Just because he saw something happen didn't mean that it would. His overconfidence in his foresight killed him.

16. Emperor_Dan

Aug 21, 1999
    Err, complacent pretty much means overconfident. Remember that line: "Strange that I have not" ? He couldn't feel Luke, whose bond with Vader was not a factor in his plans. The only other problem was those damn Ewoks.

"Also, Palpatine could see the future very well. He set up this plan, and I bet his whole ascention was part of something he'd foreseen. "All is going as planned..." According to the novel, part of the Chosen One prophecy was the rise of the Dark Side, and in the movie Yoda wasn't very suprised that "The shroud of the Dark Side" had fallen. They all knew something bad (good in Uncle Palps' case) was going to happen. "

Er, but they still pointed the finger at the Confederacy. They know the Dark Side is going to make its move, but since they know Dooku, who is a Sith, is leading the CIS, it's easy for them to attack the "problem" there.

One more thing: "He set up this plan, and I bet his whole ascention was part of something he'd foreseen. "All is going as planned..." "

It seems totally ridiculous that Palpatine would know that the rise in the dark side is associated with the prophecy of the Chosen One. A man of Palpatine's intelligence would not try to keep Vader around if he'll simply kill Palpatine anyways! It seems Palpatine is trying to fight the fate of the Chosen One, and I don't believe he'd seriously do that. Not unless he's complacent...

17. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    I just have to say I love Ian McDiarmid in both TPM and AOTC. I particularly love him in TPM as Sideous. My favorite is when his hologram is "walking" along w/ Nute and he says "That move is too aggressive for her" you can only see half of his face due to the hood being over his eyes, but with the position of his mouth, you can see he's frustrated and confused as hell, totally about to lose his composure.

And of course let's not forget his best, most chipperly delivered line "I'll be watching your career with great interest!" to a very impressionable, unsuspecting Anakin at the end of TPM, it always got groans from crowds, it's priceless.

I just love him in AOTC, his whole "Do it for me M'lady, the thought of loosing YOU, would be unbearable." It's such a hoot, he's got this puppy dog look on his face, and you just know he really wants her dead. He's just dripping w/ insincerity. And his "I love Democracy, I love the Republic" stands as the all time best ever Palpatine line I think. It's so hillariously untrue.

McDiarmid's delivery is just perfect. He brings a devilish smile to my face whenever he speaks, I just want to reach out and slap him!

18. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I'll debate it later, since I have to leave...

But no one really knows what "Balance to the Force" entails. Palpatine might just be using it for his own benefit.

19. QuiGonJinn

QuiGonJinn Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 1, 1998
    McDiarmid's delivery is just perfect. He brings a devilish smile to my face whenever he speaks, I just want to reach out and slap him!

I second that, man! Sometimes I just burst out laughing from having so much fun watching him. Still my favorite line is "Oh, I'm afraid the deflector-shield will be quite operational..."

My favorite Ian moment in AotC is his little "hmph" nod he does after Mas Amedda says "IF only Senator Amidala were here." Lucas jipped us only putting in one little Sidious scene. I just hopes he makes it up to us by letting us see him in action in Ep-3. I wanna see him fry some jedi with his lightning. [face_devil]

20. Darth-Solo

Darth-Solo Jedi Youngling star 1

May 26, 2002
    I always liked how he walked up to greet Padme at the end of TPM. He looked like a inocent little kid with a goofy grin on his face,and he was practically skipping toward her. That was priceless.

21. Luke_Clone

Luke_Clone Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    "I was once chased through a tube station. They were saying, "You've got to stop, you're the Emperor, you've got to stop." And I managed to run faster than them. They only wanted my autograph -- it wasn't anything sinister. I thought, "This is ridiculous -- why didn't I just stop and give my autograph and move on?" But it had gone too far by then."

LOL :D

22. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    QuiGonJinn

-well yes, the Emperor is priceless. God I despise him. After AOTC, I truly, deeply hate him, loathe him in fact, and find myself cheering senselessly when Anakin chucks him down that shaft. That scream is such a lovely reward.

I can't talk about this anymore, I'm feeling the urge to reach out and SLAP him again! :p

23. jayme_

jayme_ Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 12, 2002
    "The situation is that serious? No but I do, Senator *Yoda suspicious look* I realize all to well that additional security..."

I was like, he did not just cut her off! LOL. Ian's great though. Scares the hell out of me. And even as Chancellor Palpatine you get a creepy feeling about him. A friend I saw AOTC with noticed this. I love that he came back to do the prequels, too. I wish he was the dude in ESB though.

24. DARTH_CHINA

DARTH_CHINA Jedi Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    What I liked also about Palpatine was his funny little smile when he said 'Maybe someone who you're familiar with, an old friend... like master Kenobi' and then that verrry false little smile....

I really enjoyed his "Excellent" at the end (as sidious)... It remained me of Burns.
    And of course, the tyranus prononciation was unique

For those who know more about inspector morse: he played Hugo De Vries, Morse's greatest enemy ever. Masonic Mysteries is the episode the people like the most! John Thaw (was a terrefic actor, whish he had been in Star Wars) & Ian were great!! You can learn more about this episode on this page

25. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Darth_China-

<<<<I really enjoyed his "Excellent" at the end (as sidious)... It remained me of Burns. >>>

OH MY GOD! I feel the exact same way. 1st time I saw the film, I clicked my fingers together just like Burnsy! I usually say "excellent" when he does along w/ Sideous, but using Burns intonations. I think it's hysterical!