PT The Fantastic Ian McDiarmid

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Darthkarma, May 18, 2002.

Moderators: Bazinga'd
  1. DARTH_CHINA Force Ghost

star 5
    Frank_Palpatine, Best palpatine pic ever :D :D !!! Glad to see you're back! That Pic is soo creepy!!

Yeah, Ian McDiarmid is just the best actor of SW. Indeed FOTR_AOTC_TTT_2002 he's the big reason why I can enjoy TPM & ROTJ. I always skip most of the Tatooine parts of TPM & the Jabba's Palace scenes of ROTJ to watch his superb performances. I can't wait till Episode III to see him in full glamour.

I hope the AOTC-DVD will include his cut scenes, like his speach in the senate. He's such a good talker :p

p.s. If there are more of those good palp-pics, post them here, they are mostly welcome

2. Frank_Palpatine TFN Video Encoder • JC Icon Artist

VIP
    star 4
    Thanks DARTH_CHINA. :)

I'll look for more and post them tomorrow (although it will be hard to top the one I've already posted).
  3. Chewies_bandolier Jedi Knight

star 3
    Excellent Pic - one of *vader* (y'know -Ani)and Palpy on coruscant would be great!

Any chance of making this the official Palpy/Ian McDiarmid Gusher thread on the board? (My pathetic attempt to make one on the miscellaneous board was hijacked by one slightly misguided person who misunderstood my intentions completely...:( )

Favorite Palpy line anyone? (oooooooh - so many of 'em)

Mine - "I shall follow your career with grreat intrest.."
  4. LORD_MARVEL Jedi Knight

star 1
    His entire introduction scene in TPM with Nute on the bridge of the command ship. "...I will make it legal!"
    And see my sig for another. And of course "...Oh no my young apprentice, it is you who are mistaken...about a great many thingsss."
  5. kittenmommy Jedi Knight

star 3
    OK, where do I sign up for the McDiarmid Gusher Club? That guy ROCKS! He's now officially One Of My Guys... Ian if you are reading this, sorry to disappoint you but that doesn't mean what you might think! ;) My other Guys include Sam Watterson and Christopher Walken. Steve Buschemi (sp?) is one of my husband's Guys. This is how it works: whenever we see one of them in a movie or whatever, we'll say, "hey, there's Your Guy".

Anyway, back to My Guy. Ian was absolutely hysterical in "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels". Comedywise (is that even a word??) I thought he easily held his own with Steve Martin. That final scene between him and Martin is the absolute best laugh in the whole movie. My husband and I laughed 'til we cried at that scene. Ian's last line is just priceless.

And Ian's great in "Restoration", too. If you want to see him dance (I kid you not), rent that one.

If GL wants to make me really happy, he can put MORE IAN in Ep. III and less of that goofy/creepy/icky Padme/Anakin romance/fatal attraction that wasn't working for me anyway.

Kittenmommy.

PS. Someone mentioned he was offered the chance to run the National Theatre - did he take the job?
  6. MANDALORIAN Jedi Master

star 4

I was looking forward to seeing Ian have a larger role in AOTC than he did in TPM. Judging by the script this seemed to be the case.

As it turned out (thanks to heavy cuts) he was hardly in it at all.

Many people do not realise how important his character is. Critics never mention him in the reviews and he does not feature in any merchandise. His apprentices always get more attention then he does!

I hope he gets some major screentime in episode 3. Lucas must let the CGI take a back seat to some strong drama in this crucial chapter.

Ian is the MAN. :D

7. PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost

star 6
    MANDALORIAN

I don't think you have to worry, Palpatine/Sideous should be a HUGE factor in EP 3.

In fact my feeling is if Lucas does EP 3 right, we should all completely despise and loathe him as a character. That way when Vader finally offs him in ROTJ we will all cheer mightily.

Palpatine is the ultimate Villan we LOVE to Hate!
  8. MyLittleDroid Jedi Padawan

Just stating it for the nth time:
    IMcD makes Palpatine so smart, so cunning, so cultivated, so in control, so exquisitively.... evil.
    It sends shivers down my spine.
    I can't wait for the DVD - I shall sit down and replay all his (all too few) scenes over and over.

BTW - has anyone done some speculation on why he suggests "...an old friend like master Kenobi..." to be Padmé's bodyguard? Exactly what does he want to achieve by that? How can he be so sure things will evolve the way he wants them to?
    (Sorry if it's a little beside the topic of the thread. Perhaps I should concentrate on the actor, not his character.)

MLD
  9. AAMD11 Jedi Master

star 4
    My fvourite quote of the movie, I wish I could of put all of it on my signture but it wouldnt fit de I placed part of it :)

"It is with great reluctance that I have agreed to this calling. I love Democracy...I love The Republic. The power you give me I will lay down when this crisis has abated, and as my first act, with this new authority, I will creat a Grand Army of the Republic to counter the increasing threats of the Separatists."
  10. Darthkarma Jedi Master

star 4

To answer the question of Chewies_Bandolier,
    it's fine with me if we turn the thread into the official McDiarmid/Palpy "gusher" thread. I'm amazed at the longevity of this thread. And the response, especially recently, has been, ahem, "palpable." :)

Long Live Ian! (the crowd leaps to it's feet and ROARS it's approval for this GREAT British Actor)

God I wish he could read this thread.
  11. MachinatingMachiavel Jedi Youngling

star 2
    This thread deserves a bumping. g-g-g-G-G-g-Guiddy-up, Ian!
  12. kittenmommy Jedi Knight

star 3
    Darthkarma wrote:

Long Live Ian! (the crowd leaps to it's feet and ROARS it's approval for this GREAT British Actor)

Mmmm... he's Scottish I think, though how he managed to lose that accent is beyond me.

MachinatingMachiavel wrote:

This thread deserves a bumping. g-g-g-G-G-g-Guiddy-up, Ian!

I'm not that kind of girl... besides, I'm married.

;)

Kittenmommy.

13. VanLiz Jedi Knight

star 1
    I am an Ian gusher as well. I scarcely remember him in Sleepy Hollow, but I'd really like to see his other movies.

The Emperor is a very important character. I certainly hope the Lucas gives Palpatine/Sidious more screen time in the third movie. It's good that we saw Palpatine's relationship with Anakin in AOTC but I think we need to see more of the two of them together as well as more of Palpatine alone to understand how much influence he has with Anakin and why Anakin would even consider joining him.

Palpatine is fast becoming my favorite bad guy. He is very close to pushing Vader out of the number one spot. My screensaver is a picture of Vader on Cloud City trying to recruit Luke after he's chopped off Luke's hand ("Come with me! It is the only way!). If this fascination with Palpatine continues I'll have to replace it with one of Sidious.
  14. LORD_MARVEL Jedi Knight

star 1
    BTW - has anyone done some speculation on why he suggests "...an old friend like master Kenobi..." to be Padmé's bodyguard? Exactly what does he want to achieve by that? How can he be so sure things will evolve the way he wants them to?
    (Sorry if it's a little beside the topic of the thread. Perhaps I should concentrate on the actor, not his character.)

He wants Anakin in position to be tempted by Padme. It will put him at odds with everything he has been taught as a jedi and especially his master. The key thing he told Anakin was "You must trust your feelings, then you will be invincible." Akey peice of advice that will lead Anakin down the dark path and right into Palpatines grasp.
  15. Jedi_Master201 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    "Palpatine is fast becoming my favorite bad guy. He is very close to pushing Vader out of the number one spot. My screensaver is a picture of Vader on Cloud City trying to recruit Luke after he's chopped off Luke's hand ("Come with me! It is the only way!). If this fascination with Palpatine continues I'll have to replace it with one of Sidious."

Can Vader even be considered a villain? Going by what we've seen in SW so far, it seems to me that he is more of a tragic hero... ;) Sure, he wore black for a while. Sure, he killed his own men when they did things that they could have been forgiven for by a kinder person. But was he truly evil? As evil and selfish as the rest of the Sith? I think not.

Anyway, Palpatine is the best fictional villain ever thought up by anyone. His intelligence is unmatched by any bad guy. He is pure evil. He uses every single person that has any influence at all for his own gain, whether they are for him or against him. Maul was cool, in that he was totally devoted to the Sith Order, his master, and the dark side of the Force. But he was still just a pawn of the mastermind named Sidious. ;) Vader, as I said before, was not truly evil, although he did things that he should not have done. Dooku was a chump; an experianced chump, but a chump nontheless. He wanted to do what Palpatine is doing, but he's doing it on a much smaller scale, and failing miserably (creating his own government...but with only a small amount of systems.) Palpatine, on the other hand, is awesome. He is completely and utterly evil.

Even Sauron from LotR cannot compare to Palpatine. Perhaps he is spiritually more powerful, but he does not have the intelligence that Palpatine has. He couldn't have done what Palpatine is doing at this point in the SW saga.

EDIT: You know, LORD_MARVEL, perhaps that was one of his ulterior motives, but my first impression was that he had been "training" Anakin for a long time, promising him that if he (Anakin) did exactly as he (Palpatine) told him, then he would soon have his own mission.

It seems to me that he is already beginning his direct temtation of Anakin. As long as Anakin listens to his 'old friend', he will be able to do whatever he wants to do...
  16. Lukecash Jedi Master

star 4
    I could sing the praises of this character an man for the remainder of my life. A true testiment to any actor is that he will not be recognised from role to role.

For example- Everyone can recognized Robert DeNero. This works against him when people are supposed to be believing he's a garbage man.

The fact he was in sleepy hollow, and I didn't notice is was him- gives him great accolades. Just like Ian McKellean I did not connect to from Gods and Monsters, and Scandal.

Some of my favorite Palpatine Lines:

ALL OF THEM HAA HA HA HA!

17. Chewies_bandolier Jedi Knight

star 3
    Front page of TPN news today - new article about Ian McDiarmid.. I just gotta admire a man who postponed speculation as to whether he'd take up the directorship of the Royal Shakespeare Company .. until after he finishes with SW !

Another favorite Palpy line..

"It was *I* who allowed the alliance to know the location of the shield generator.. It is *quite* safe from your (sneer) pitiful little band!...
  18. haakun Force Ghost

star 4
    George, more Ian-Palpy/Sidious stuff in Ep-III, please. :)
  19. DARTH_CHINA Force Ghost

star 5
    Haakun , you're right, he must have a major role in Eps. III, he deserves it! I really think it's a pity that critics never mention his performances due to his "small role" in the PT. I mean, the voice of Frank Oz was more important than Ian McDiarmid if we look at the credits of AOTC. :_| :_|

Please George, make Ep.III Ian's movie !!!
  20. MachinatingMachiavel Jedi Youngling

star 2
    I broke out into applause when in ROTJ (which I just saw yesterday) he said "oh, I am afraid the deflector shield will be quite operational" - or somethign to that effect.

It was SO WELL DONE! Everyone in the audience who hears this for the first time must be thinking, "baaaaaaahhhhsttaaaaaahhhrrrrd"

LOL.
  21. MachinatingMachiavel Jedi Youngling

star 2
    does anybody know if there is any way that we can put our own user icons below our names? Because I thought it would be neat to make an official Ian icon that would show that anyone who has it is a part of the "official Ian Gushers Society" or something. One of the "OIGS", you know? I think an actor like this needs something cool like that on this board.

or if some moderator can accept a new icon into the gallery? Too bad it can't go in the sig line.
  22. LLL Force Ghost

star 4
    Amen, brother.

Re: "If GL wants to make me really happy, he can put MORE IAN in Ep. III and less of that goofy/creepy/icky Padme/Anakin romance/fatal attraction that wasn't working for me anyway."

*sigh* Don't you hate how the bit performers are SO GOOD, and the acting of the lead performers in this trilogy mostly SUCKS???? (I don't want to mention anyone's initials here, but, ahem, NATALIE PORTMAN ...)

I don't agree 100 percent with everything Ian believes about Palpy (writin' all Palpy fic these days), but he gets results!

23. SCOTSSITHLORD Force Ghost

star 2
    Ian McDiarmid is fantastic as Palpatine in ROTJ, and in the PT. He's an incredible mimic, in SW, he creates two completely different voices for Palpatine and Sidious, and in the Inspector Morse episode, the masonic mysteries, he pops up in a variety of guises.
    I don't know if McDiarmid is scottish or not, though on balance I suspect he is, because he does a wonderful scots accent in Morse, and in my experience non-scots never get it right, e.g Neeson in The Big Man.
    I agree with a previous comment regarding McDiarmid's performance in Dirty rotten scoundrels, he's hilarious as the snooty butler, and another movie he's in which is worth seeing is Gorky Park.
  24. Sjefen Jedi Knight

star 1
  25. green_cross_code Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    You can add me to the McDiarmid fan club. He's fantastic.

"Mmmm... he's Scottish I think, though how he managed to lose that accent is beyond me."

He is Scottish, yes... but Scotland is in Britain, so he's British too. So is Ewan, Sean Connery and every other Scottish person. They just aren't English. There's a difference.

It's strange that seemingly no one outside of Britain actually knows that.
Moderators: Bazinga'd