PT The Fantastic Ian McDiarmid

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Darthkarma, May 18, 2002.

Moderators: Bazinga'd
  1. BigBoy29 Jedi Master

star 3
    Sometimes I wonder ...

Which is more pathetic?

Seeing the Ewok Witch Doctor summoned to stand tall before the Mighty Palpatine in his regal office - and see Ian promptly zapp or choke the Ewok ...

OR

See the Mighty Darth Sidious on the Forest Moon attempting to chase and subdue the crafty Wickett in a footchase through the woods.

<Getting slapped in the face by tree branch, twisting his ankle ...>

"Oww, my damn foot!"

EDIT: Palps/Ian is the man, yet so far from respectability.

2. Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus

star 6
    The thing about Ian is that he makes Palpatine so innocent, so respectable, so kind -- if you're not aware he's Sidious. However, if you know that each persona is one and the same, he is so disgusting, so loathsome, and so foul. THAT's good acting.
  3. snelson Force Ghost

star 4
    it's funny how art imitates life ian is nothing like sidious i read he is very kind and generous. little kids used to be scared of him because he played that evil freak.
  4. Jedi_Kenobi32 Force Ghost

star 4
    Merry Christmas/Ianmas everybody. [:D]

5. LottDodd Force Ghost

star 4
    Happy New Year Everbody!

Think about it... it has now been a decade since we first heard IAN's Brilliant delivery "Wipe them out ...... ....... All of them"

(When was that first TPM Trailer released?)
  6. ILuvJarJar Force Ghost

star 6

November 1998 I think.
  7. LottDodd Force Ghost

star 4
    I know IAN wishes us to be above such petty things as post counts... but the prequel quote-a-thon is a mere 1000 posts behind FIGS... and it seems inevitable that they shall soon overtake us.

It is as unfortunate as it is unavoidable to be trounced by mere recitation of "Bad Feeling's" and "Love has Blinded You's"

FIGS: On top 'till we're not
  8. LottDodd Force Ghost

star 4
    So.... Is FIGS a dead society?

I'm starting to feel like the only member of the Tough-Brets

FIGS: I find my Lack of Faith disturbing....
  9. SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Your Master would not be proud.
    It appears that the FIGS are but a shadow of their former selves.

I never thought I'd see this thread fall soo far.
    Muahahahahahahahahahhh....
    :p
  10. LottDodd Force Ghost

star 4
    Indeed the order is not what it once was.

I could easily delve into the rule of two (if there was a worthy apprentice) to keep the teachings alive... but worshiping in secret and plotting for universal domination is something I do anyways. FIGS was more of a Society... Is it still?

FIGS: This can't be the end. IAN help us!
  11. Obi-Chron Force Ghost

star 4
    For thousands posts over nearly seven years the Fantastic Ian Gusher Society (aka FIGS were the guardians of all thing Ian. Before the animated series. Before the Clone Wars movie.

Ian remains ever true to his greatness, touring with and staring in the Donmar Warehouse's co-production (with the National Theatre of Scotland) of Be Near Me. While I cannot endorse the volatile subject matter, the FIGS Master seems to be getting some pretty solid reviews. See THIS LINK.
  12. G-FETT Chosen One

star 7
    Heads up for FIGERS. Ian will be on BBC2 here in the UK next Thursday, February 26th at 9pm in the play Margaret. He will be playing Denis, the late husband of former Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher. The show will be all about Maggies final days in office as her party turned on her and forced her out of office.

I would imagine the BBC will put this on its I-Player so non UK residents will probably be able to watch as well. :)
  13. G-FETT Chosen One

star 7
    Ians been talking about his role in Margaret and as ever, he continues to defend Star Wars and George to those annoying hacks.

Interview can be read here http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/tv_and_radio/article5753401.ece
  14. LottDodd Force Ghost

star 4
    Well I cannot wait for that to air here in the states.
  15. G-FETT Chosen One

star 7
    I'm sure the BBC will have put it on their I-Player, is you don't want to wait. :D

I thought it was a very good programme. They did a good job in showing the human side of Thatcher and most of that was actually down to Ian Mcdiarmid who, trough his portrayal as Denis, showed just how much Lady T was loved and cared for by her husband, even when he was raging almost Hitleresque, at her subordinates.
  16. Hans-Olo Force Ghost

star 5
    This thread deserves a rude leader, who shall guide us through this dark epoch [face_devil].

FIGS: 88 mph!
  17. Palpateen Jedi Master

star 4

I thought it was a very good programme. They did a good job in showing the human side of Thatcher and most of that was actually down to Ian Mcdiarmid who, trough his portrayal as Denis, showed just how much Lady T was loved and cared for by her husband, even when he was raging almost Hitleresque, at her subordinates.

Well OF COURSE it was a good programme! The Fantastic Ian McDiarmid appeared in it!
    =D=

He raged amost Hitleresque? I would have loved to have seen it. No one does autocratic evil rulers better than the icon of this holy thread.
  18. Chewies_bandolier Jedi Knight

star 3
    Anyone know what Ian's been up to recently?
  19. DARTH_CHINA Force Ghost

star 5
    *cackles*

Good... gooooooood... everything is going as planned! [face_devil] ;)

I missed Ian's performance as Denis Thatcher :( , I hope the BBC will repeat it some time, I can't miss it again!

As for what Ian's doing for the moment, here's a video about it:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7o4YKVDIg4

Magnificent as usual [face_love]. He hasn't changed a bit! Even his mouth movements are divine as ever!!!! ;)

*** FIGS: Ian McDiarmid is your God! ***
  20. FirBholg Jedi Knight

star 1
    Thanks for finding and posting that. I'd love to see him live on stage. What a virtuoso!

And let's keep this on the front page where it belongs! ;)
  21. GGrievous Force Ghost

star 5
    Indeed, he should have voiced Sidious/Palpatine in the new Clone Wars cartoon.
  22. Jedi Gunny Yahtzee Host

Game Host
    star 8
    That would have been great.
  23. LottDodd Force Ghost

star 4
    I found it odd that Ahmed Best played Jar Jar in an episode (or two?) and then some imposter took over in another episode. I would be absolutely enraged if IAN were treated so callously...
  24. JohnWesleyDowney Force Ghost

star 5
    As the originator of the FIGS thread, I think it is high time we demonstrated the fire power of this armed and fully operational Appreciation thread. I have a Fantastic Idea that Ian the God of Star Wars Acting would surely give his blessing.

Behold, give us your nominations for the ten greatest line readings from Star Wars by his Eminence, the Fantastic Ian McDiarmid. Gush to thy heart's content:

Here are mine:

1. "Welcome young Skywalker, I have been expecting you."

2. "Wipe them out, all of them."

3. "Your feeble skills are no match for the dark side of the force."

4. "My little green friend."

5. "Oh, I'm afraid the deflector shield will be quite operational when your friends arrive."

6. "Not from a Jedi."

7. "I wonder if your feelings on this matter are clear Lord Vader?"

8. "Everything is proceeding as planned."

9. "You killed her."

10. "Power, unlimited power!"

Justify your choices.
  25. FirBholg Jedi Knight

star 1
    He has so many great lines, delivered with such relish, that it is hard to choose. That said, here are ten favorites:

10. Master Yoda... You survived.

9. Have you ever heard The Tragedy of Darth Plagueis the Wise?

8. I am the Senate.

7. Here is where Chancellor Valorum's support disappears.

6. Wipe them out. All of them.

5. You will find that it is you who are mistaken - about a great many things.

4. I have waited a long time for this, my little, green friend.

3. I will make it legal.

2. And you, young Skywalker! We will watch your career with great interest.

1. ...Rise!
Moderators: Bazinga'd