main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT The Fantastic Ian McDiarmid

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Darthkarma, May 18, 2002.

1. Truffaut

Truffaut Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 4, 2010
    That's some ornament.:)

2. Jedi_Kenobi32

Jedi_Kenobi32 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2005
    Glad you guys liked the ornament. Yes its very :cool:

By the way, what would you guys say is the funniest Palpatine line? For me it would be when he says to Luke: "Oh, I'm afraid the deflector shield will be quite operational when your friends arrive." I find it funny simply because he says it so mockingly. [face_laugh] [face_mischief]

3. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Probably;

"And you young Skywalker, we will watch your career with great interest"

Or

[speaking to Padme] "Do it for me M'lady please. The thought of losing you.... Is unberable"

Not because either line is particularly funny, but because the way Ian says them is just dripping with irony, especially the first one.

4. Truffaut

Truffaut Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 4, 2010
    As played by Lord McDiarmid, Palpatine is a splendidly nasty villain, unquestionably one of the most compelling figures in the Star Wars canon. However, when he says "No! No! No! You will die!" I can't help but chuckle. It's deliciously hammy.

5. Mond

Mond Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 21, 2009
    "Viceroy, I don't want this stunted slime in my sight again." It's just funny, the way he lays down the law like that, and then never mentions Dofine again.

6. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    It's ironic that Ian is the best actor in the prequels -but he gives the worst performance in the whole saga...

The scene where he fights Mace is just bad. On every level.

7. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    We don't do criticism of The Mighty Ian here. [face_shame_on_you]

8. Jedi_Kenobi32

Jul 24, 2005
    *Gasp!* Heresies! There is no criticism of the God in this thread. Now its time for your punishment. [face_devil]

*burst of force lighting*

In all seriousness though, the fight scene with Mace may be one of his weaker scenes, but it is definitely not the worst performance in the whole saga. And the biggest problem with the Mace vs. Palpatine fight wasn't the acting, but more-so the average to below average choreography. Sure saying its the weakest Ian scene in ROTS or even the PT is one thing, but the whole saga? I'm sorry, but there are honestly worst performances in the Star Wars films than Ian's acting in the Mace vs. Palpatine fight scene.

9. Mond

Mond Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 21, 2009
    The timing and overall delivery of the "no... no... no..." were okay, but he really dropped the ball with the voice. Not his best moment.I blame Lucas for using that take, not Ian. Every actor does bad takes here and there. It's up to the director to demand a new, better one, and Lucas didn't catch that one.

Seriously, don't blame the victim.

10. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Yeah,this.

Like I said -he is the best actor in the prequels, but those scenes and the ones where he is fighting yoda make me cringe worse than some of the Anakin in attack of the Clones ones...

11. LottDodd

LottDodd Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2002
    You are the one who is disturbed, IAN is beyond Reproach, Beyond Criticism. If you are disastisfied with anything, it simply means you are not yet ready for enlightenment. HE is testing you... and you have come up wanting...

12. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    QFT.[face_cowboy]

13. StampidHD280pro

StampidHD280pro Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    I know I've said it before, but in all seriousness I cannot understand any criticism of any aspect of Ian's performance in ROTS. His voices, his faces, everything is gold. Best movie villain evar.

14. Mond

Mond Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 21, 2009
    I love his RotS performance, but I do think he flubs the voice a couple of times after becoming Emperor. It's not a huge deal, but it's noticeable.

Still a great perf though. :D

15. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    I love everything about his performance when he faces off against Mace. The reveal that he is "the senate" The old style Star Wars lightsabre fight, with close-up's, the campest "No, No, No, you will die...." the subtle looks and glances towards Anakin as he's pretending to be on the verge of death and finally two or three seconds of pure satisfaction and twisted pleasure as he watches Mace screaming after Anakin's cut his hand off and then... POWER. UNLIMATED POOOOOOOOOOWER......

Perfect.=D=

16. Jedi_Kenobi32

Jul 24, 2005
    Speaking of Palpatine vs. Mace I found an old video that shows how he really defeated Mace and made Anakin his Sith apprentice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_OWSmze1sU

[face_mischief]

17. drg4

drg4 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    The funniest McDiarmid line comes from ROTJ: "It was I who revealed the location of the shield generator! It is quite safe from your pitiful little band!"

Here, he sounds more like Vader's evil grandmother than emperor of the universe.

18. Mond

Mond Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 21, 2009
    Yeah, it doesn't really pay to scrutinize ROTJ too closely if you want to purely enjoy the film. Half of everything in it is weirdly "off" somehow (droid torture, etc.).

19. drg4

drg4 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    Being TFN's resident ROTJ-basher, I'd say everything about the movie was "off."

Still, I should be kinder. Were it not for Return of the Jedi, the prequels would be McDiarmid-less. An unfathomable prospect, this. :_|

20. thehood

thehood Jedi Youngling

Feb 20, 2008
    I'd prolly go into a star-induced coma when i see him in person. He's like a father figure to me. LAWL

21. Jedi_Kenobi32

Jul 24, 2005
    *bump*

Does anyone have any new information regarding Ian and his acting career?

22. Ariadne

Ariadne Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 29, 2003
    Excellent. This thread is as enduring as the glory of the Great One Himself.

Btw, no. The last thing I saw Ian in was City of Vice :( Although I understand that he's since starred in a short film that I must do my best to lay my hands on...

23. Jedi_Kenobi32

Jul 24, 2005
    Thanks for answering my question. Its too bad there is no new information on him though. What is City of Vice about?

And yes, Ian is the Great One, and shall always be the Great One.

24. Ariadne

Ariadne Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 29, 2003
    City of Vice is a drama series about London's first policemen. Ian plays the novelist and magistrate Henry Fielding, who forms the force to root out corruption in the city. He gets some good lines, loads of screen time and even one or two action scenes. And, if I recall correctly, he also gets a silly wig. It's a good series, although unfortunately they only made four episodes.

F.I.G.S: A Portal Through Which The Untutored May Not Pass

25. Jedi_Kenobi32

Jul 24, 2005
    Even one or two action scenes.

Really? More Ian action? Cool.

How come the show ended so quickly?