main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT The Fantastic Ian McDiarmid

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Darthkarma, May 18, 2002.

1. Ariadne

Ariadne Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 29, 2003
    It was only intended to be a four part drama, although they did say they had material for a second series. However, nothing so far :(

F.I.G.S: Some Adjustment Required.

2. DARTH_CHINA

DARTH_CHINA Jedi Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Good... good...

On this last day of 2010, I'd wish my fellow FIGSers a successful & prosperous 2011!
    That all of our evil plans may come true!! [face_devil]
    *cackles*

I'm looking forward to the blu-ray release in 2011! Seeing His glorious appearance in HD, hearing His fantastic voice
    in HD... once again, every atom in body will be blessed with His brilliance!

*dies*
    *dies during dying*
    *explodes*
    *is reassembled because of the God's brilliance*

*** FIGS: Craziness since 2002 and continuing... ***

3. LottDodd

LottDodd Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2002
    On February 10th, 2012, IAN will be returning to the big screen in all HIS GLORY, in 3D, AND HE WILL BE MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE!

While every roll IAN tackles is the deffinition of PERFECTION, The Phantom Menace is arguably his Best Performance. Sidious absolutely steals this flick, and Palpatine is at his smarmy best.

What shot of IAN is going to be the MOST GLORIUS TO BEHOLD less than one year from today??

4. Jabba_The_Hutt_123

Jabba_The_Hutt_123 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 29, 2003
    I have to agree that TPM Sidious is just, amazing.
    ROTS Sidious I never liked, there's something about the voice, I suppose having been electrocuted he's let off.

5. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004

"I shall watch his career with great interest."

Now I shall watch it in 3 D.

:cool:

6. DARTH_CHINA

Dec 31, 2001
    Indeed, my old friend, indeed! =D=

Ian's first 3D appearance will be maginificent!! Once again people will be reminded why Ian McDiarmid is called THE God and kneel when they're faced with brilliance of such an imaginable level!!! Then of course, they'll worship him till death and... we shall have peace! [face_devil]

Although picking one scene is impossible, I'd probably go for the senate scene in which Palpatine whispers in Queen Amidala's ear "NOW they'll elect a new chancellor, a STRONG chancellor..."

*cackles*

*** F.I.G.S. ***

7. Jedi_Kenobi32

Jedi_Kenobi32 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2005
    Felt as though its time to bump up this glorious thread.

Personally I haven't decided whether or not I will be seeing the Star Wars films in 3D. However I have to agree that Ian's first 3D appearance will indeed be magnificent. Why? Well because Ian is the God of course. In fact choirs sing and golden light shines on him everywhere he goes.

8. LottDodd

Oct 4, 2002
    I think the senate chambers are going to make some of the Best 3D in the flick!

9. Jedi_Kenobi32

Jul 24, 2005
    ^ I agree with you 100% I actually loved the Senate scenes in TPM. I'll admit that possibly seeing those senate pods in 3D will be quite cool.

10. JohnWesleyDowney

Jan 27, 2004
    Behold the POWER of the Acting God himself, Ian McDiarmid.

The Emperor himself will land in Chicago and perform on American soil for three months in the title role of an obscure Shakespeare play.

The Fantastic Ian McDiarmid performing in the flesh, live and viewable for all to see his magnificent and dramatic and talented glory.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFO:

The Emperor is coming HERE?

11. LottDodd

Oct 4, 2002
    I am there. I will see IAN MCDIARMID in THE FLESH. I used to live in Chicago, now I shall double my efforts to return. I am an actor who primarily gets cast in Shakespeare Productions (just finished Richard III as Hastings), I have also played several rolls that I have seen Ian in, including Ross in MacBeth.
    HE has always been an inspiration to me and now I shall see HIM.

12. JohnWesleyDowney

Jan 27, 2004
    You will, no doubt, merely by being in the presence of the god Ian McDiarmid, find that your own talent is enhanced, merely through osmosis. This reflects His Greatness.

Hopefully, after you have witnessed a magnificent performance by Him, you will report back to all of us back here at FIGS headquarters with an essay on the Event of a Lifetime.

13. Jedi_Kenobi32

Jul 24, 2005
    I read the article with excitement. I cannot believe that the mighty God will be coming to and performing in America.

Though I find it to be rather unfortunate that we have to wait until 2012 in order to see/read/hear about/whatever Ian's performance in the USA. :(

Oh why can't he perform in the USA this year?! We FIGsers need something to discuss! :_|

...Well I guess I can wait. ...And I guess we could make predictions on how utterly grand his performance will be. I just wish that this whole event would be happening sooner.

14. LottDodd

Oct 4, 2002
    HE just want's to build your Anticipation to a Fevered Pitch....

15. JohnWesleyDowney

Jan 27, 2004

Seven minutes of sheer, fantastic bliss. Behold his talent:

Transforming Ian

16. Darth_Fisto

Darth_Fisto Jedi Master star 4

Jun 24, 2002
    Still going...

17. Darthman1992

Darthman1992 Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 17, 2011
    I love McDiarmid in these movies. It may seem to much to say, but overall I may actually think he gave the best performance in the entire saga. I mean think about it. He plays one of the greatest villains of cinema, with three different personas.

First is the mild mannered and "off an elegance rivaling that of Alec Guinness in the CT. He gives off "seeminlgy" kind yet manipulative Senator/Chancellor Palpatine. He has a great elegant and nuanced performance rivaling that of Alec Guinness from the CT. Many of his scenes with Anakin are the most fantastic examples of this.

Second is the shady and conniving Darth Sidious. He gives off a great dark and more subtle menace to him, particulary in his scenes with the Trade Ferderation members in PHANTOM MENACE.

And then in ROTS and ROTJ we see him full and unleashed as Emperor Palpatine. He exudes evil and while acting extremely megalomoniacal is fun to watch but still very threatening, and (to me) never seems to be overdoing it.

In fact I will say it. I think he gave the best performance of anyone in the Entire Saga.

18. LottDodd

Oct 4, 2002
    Happy Birthday IAN, from all of us at FIGS!

19. JohnWesleyDowney

Jan 27, 2004
    Amen.

I am deeply troubled by something that occurs to me each year at this time.

Why hasn't the United Nations taken steps to make Ian's birthday an international holiday? :mad:

20. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    It might be splitting hairs, but I'd argue there are actually four personas, not three. The last one can be split into two: there's PT "Emperor Palpatine", maniacally righteous and loving every second, and then there's OT "Emperor Palpatine", calm, indolent, withdrawn, accustomed to political success and everything clicking into place.

But yeah, the PT is really Ian McDiarmid's trilogy, in a way, since his character, or characters, is or are the ones pulling the strings, exploiting human (and Gungan) frailty, working slyly and determinedly, with great wit and wisdom both. There's apparently little to nothing his personas can't foresee or accomplish. In the realm of epic ownage, Palpatine/Sidious has few contenders -- and, I'm sure, Palpatine/Sidious would have it no other way.

Here, in tribute to Mr. McDiarmid -- and, by extension, Mr. Lucas -- is a post by TFN's Tyranus_the_Hutt, from Chapter 39 ("Yoda Visits the Emperor") of TFN's "Chapter-By-Chapter" discussions --> http://boards.theforce.net/Boards/Message.aspx?topic=23941569&brd=10669

21. DARTH_CHINA

Dec 31, 2001
    Happy 67th birtday Birthday, Ian McDiarmid!!! Still as fantastic as ever!

Indeed. Such blasphemy cannot be tolerated any longer. We should take some drastic measures! I say we motion for a vote of no confidence in their current leadership! ;) [face_devil]

That was a fantastic read indeed. :)

And sssooooo, what next for us? I?d probably say the blu-ray release. Watching the God for the first time in HD! [face_love] Perhaps some more footage of Him in the deleted scenes section or some small interview parts on the new audio commentary and bonus discs.
    I?m looking forward to it!

***FIGS? FIGS!***

22. LottDodd

Oct 4, 2002
    Surely in the 40 hours of bonus materials, we will get new footage of IAN.... I think it is a given that we will see him filming his scenes for TESB... but I would really like to get some vintage ROTJ interviews or test footage!

23. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    I agree about TPM, Ian steals the show. Same with ROTS, really. Just a quick point; my fave line of his from ROTS is "They asked you to do something that made you feel dishonest didn't they?" Heh, makes me lol everytime. Like he's caught a kid doing something wrong. Great stuff.

24. DARTH_CHINA

Dec 31, 2001
    Some recent interview & picture (fully bearded!):
    http://www.scotsman.com/movies/Interview-Ian-McDiarmid-actor.6806984.jp

Some Star Wars related quotes at the end.

I love the part in which he says that he feels more European than British. A very daring thing to say in the usually eurosceptic UK.
    Living in Belgium, I wholeheartedly share his point of view!!! :)

I think I'm gonna worship him even more! ;) :p

*dies*

*** FIGSIan **

25. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Palps is the MAN....this thread is Super Long