main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT The Fantastic Ian McDiarmid

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Darthkarma, May 18, 2002.

1. LottDodd

LottDodd Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2002
    According to the specs they posted today we may get new deleted scenes from revenge of the sith with IAN, but it doesn't look like much more than that... I'm dissapointed there was now "Interview with IAN MCDIARMID" feature...

Still, anything new is a plus.... IAN doesn't need to saturate us with HIS PERFECTION...

2. DARTH_CHINA

DARTH_CHINA Jedi Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    That's true, my old friend! :) We should be happy with whatever GOD footage we get!

I was kinda hoping for some extended AOTC scenes in which he said (after the emergency powers proposal) "if called upon, I'll serve, but it'll be the saddest day of my life". Would've loved to see Him delivering those lines! [face_love]

Oh well, later perhaps. :)

*** F.I.G.S. ***

3. LottDodd

Oct 4, 2002
    One of the things I like about THE LUCAS.... There's always gonna be a "Later"....

4. Ariadne

Ariadne Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 29, 2003
    I would keel over and expire with whatever footage of the Divine Lord I was worthy enough to be blessed with. The mere idea that The God might demean Himself enough to descend and do extra features makes me absolutely combust in delight. Please, let it be so.

FIGS: Because He's So Worth It.

*dies*

I do adore doing that :)

5. LottDodd

Oct 4, 2002
    http://youtu.be/uoaL6XV3p1s

In the New Blu-Ray Preview video (The Darth Maul One), if you watch in the background, you can see IAN MCDIARMID getting dressed as Sidious... Not Palpatine!!!! The first of a veritable goldmine of new footage to be hopefully included in the Blu-Ray!

6. LottDodd

Oct 4, 2002
    On my way to pick up the Blu-Ray... let us see what we can find...

7. DARTH_CHINA

Dec 31, 2001
    Just finished watching new GOD footage!! [face_love]

He was featured in 2 ROTS deleted scenes
    a) the "changes to the constitution" deleted scene - some great smiles and facial expressions!!!
    b) the extended "rescuing the chancellor" scenes - some action bits and pieces

And there's also an anamatic of the Yoda vs. Sidious scene! Thank God it didn't end up like that anamatic, it made Sidious look like a coward, running away through the roof of the senate building! :p He was also featured in the "Order 66" anamatic.

In some featurette I also saw some ROTS footage of Ian saying "Awake him!". And as posted above by the honourable LottDodd, he can also be seen in one of the TPM featurettes, getting dressed as Sidious.

I don't know whether he's featured in the new audio commentaries or not.

Not that much Ian-related goodies on the blu-ray, but still, they were worth watching!

*dies*

*** FIGS: Ian McDiarmid! ***

8. LottDodd

Oct 4, 2002
    "Awake Him!" Is in the Courascant Overview Interview for Episode III.... It looks Awesome!

9. LottDodd

Oct 4, 2002
    IAN MCDIARMID does fantastic commentary on the Blu-Rays. Most of the stuff I had heard before on TPM, some longer versions of interviews we've all heard before, but AOTC's and ROTS's are almost completely new. HIS insights into the charector. I haven't gotten to Jedi yet, but I await it with bated breath.

(Christopher Lee is also pretty flippin' amazing)

Falls_the_Shadow likes this.
  10. LottDodd

Oct 4, 2002
    This was an article Drew McSweeney (formerly Moriarity on AICN) posted about watching RotS with his young children for the first time. It brought tear to this old Nemoidian's eyes so I thought I would share it in it's entirety...

Late Saturday night, a few hours after we finished watching "Revenge Of The Sith," about an hour after both of the boys had fallen asleep, I was sitting in my office when the door opened and a sleepy-eyed Allen walked in.

"Dad, I think it's sad that Anakin's a bad guy."

"Did you just wake up to tell me that?"

"Yeah. I hope he gets better."

I picked him up, carried him back down the hallway to his bedroom, and he was asleep again by the time I tucked him in surrounded by his stuffed animals. That one thought was weighing on him enough that he needed to get up and come tell me. And as I sat back down, I realized what showing the films in this particular has done narratively that is underlined in a very different way now. More than ever, the notion of having to stand against one's father to punish him and, maybe, to redeem him is written in GIANT GLOWING LETTERS now. The last thing they saw was the birth of Luke and Leia.

Which blew their minds, by the way.

Like, off the charts, oh my god, running in circles. Blew. Their. Minds.

And that wasn't the biggest moment of the night.

Let me back up to the start. Oddly, there's been next to no "Star Wars" talk this week. We've all been busy, and when we've been together, there's been reading (we've started the Lemony Snicket series for Toshi at bedtime) and sports and running around and we saw "Puss In Boots" together and it's been nice. But very little of this week's energy was devoted to a warm-up for the next movie, except for once on Wednesday when Toshi was doing his homework and I was in the kitchen, and he said, alarmed, as if suddenly realizing something, "Dad, we're watching 'Star Wars' on Saturday, right? 'Rejenthe of the Sith,' right?" He can't say "Revenge" at all, even if he sounds it out first. It's like Allen, who insists on calling the film they saw on Friday "Puss In Cats." I assured Toshi that we were still set to see the next movie.

"This is the one where Anakin has to fight Darth Vader, right?"

"I don't know."

"Yes, you do."

"I'm not telling you."

"But you know." He's made sure to tell Allen this, as well. He considers it almost unconscionable that I know everything about "Star Wars" but haven't answered the big questions for them.

We had an early start Saturday with flag football for Toshi, and then we went home for lunch, and finally, as we sat there eating, Toshi couldn't take it anymore.

"So after we eat? we can watch 'Star Wars' right now, right?"

"No. You guys are going to a birthday party at Skateland."

"Can we watch some of it?"

"You don't want to watch part of the movie."

"Yes I do." He got his brother to chime in as well, and they both said that they'd be willing to watch part of it now and part after the party.

I thought about the structure of "Sith" and realized there was a fairly natural breaking point that I could stop at, and we could do that section of the film in the time they had before they had to get ready to leave.

"Okay. Fine." There was much rejoicing and singing of my praises as lunch was inhaled at twice the normal speed by both of them, and then we adjourned to my office. By now, Toshi's claimed my office couch as his own and Allen insists on sitting on me for the whole film. He likes to lounge, too.

Both of them together sing the 20th Century Fox fanfare when it plays each time. Then Toshi loudly reads "LUCASFILM LIMITED". And then they both say it together as the blue words appear.

"A LONG TIME AGO IN A GALAXY FAR FAR AWAY?"

I was startled by how participatory it was this time. They've internalized the way the movies start now. And then Toshi reads the opening crawl for his little brother. And Allen is poised on Toshi's very dramatic reading of the entire thing, intent, and as soon as Toshi finishes

11. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    Good to see the old thread still going ... I'm waiting for Lucas to re-edit the entire prequel trilogy so that it is told from the POV of a certain diabolical overlord (no... not one with the wimpy mullet ...)

12. LottDodd

Oct 4, 2002
    FIGS: Now in 3D! I want to see the depth of field on IAN'S SCHNOZ!

13. LottDodd

Oct 4, 2002
    You can move the forum, but you cannot stop The FIGS!!!!!!

FIGS: IMORTAL

14. DARTH_CHINA

Dec 31, 2001
    *cackles*
    Good... good... everything is going as we have foreseen! [face_devil]

I'm still recovering from Ian's maginificent appearance on celebration VI.I wasn't there, but the footage alone makes me out of control! :p

1 hour of total bless!

Everyone must worship Him, he's just that brilliant!

*dies*

FIGS: It is unavoidable, it is your destiny!

Cryogenic, Teegirloo and minnishe like this.
  15. Jedi_Kenobi32

Jedi_Kenobi32 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2005
    [face_rofl]

And it would be totally awesome to see Ian in 3D. And I'm definitely going to watch that video later. I would watch it now, but, unfortunately I cannot.

16. Jedi_Kenobi32

Jedi_Kenobi32 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2005
    Edit: Double post. [face_frustrated]

17. Silas Tri

Silas Tri Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 6, 2012
    I was at CVI and made it into the theater to see Ian (after about a 2.5 hour wait in line). He was amazing! He's the type of person I can sit and listen to for hours and never get bored. This was definitely a highlight of the event.

18. LottDodd

Oct 4, 2002
    It is comforting to know that IAN walks amongst us, that you can sit in the same room as HE.

I am literally green with envy....

FIGS: It makes us POWERFUL... more FOCUSED...

19. LottDodd

Oct 4, 2002
    Sometimes I am so overcome with the spirit, I feel the need to double post...

FIGS: There are no mistakes...

20. Teegirloo

Teegirloo Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 26, 2005
    That was awesome!

Cryogenic likes this.
  21. Falls_the_Shadow

Falls_the_Shadow Jedi Youngling star 3

May 31, 2002
    Celebration VI: the Return of the Emperor.

I still cannot believe that I met The Ian. A dream come true for a F.I.G.S.er.

On my mantlepiece sits a personalized autograph on a photograph of him in his favorite Palpatine costume which was worn at the start of ROTS.

There's one item checked off my bucket list.

His autograph station should have been equipped with a fainting couch to catch the fans overcome with joy.

I opted to compliment him on how some of his best acting in SW was in the blocking (movements), which I suspected he had suggested from his experience with Iago. For example, ROTS the scene when Palpatine reveals his identity while spiraling around Anakin, reminded me much of how Iago spiraled around Othello, in Act III, Scene III of a staging I had seen. The physical movement echoes the mental twisting.
    (I now see he had expressed previously a link with Iago: http://web.archive.org/web/20061112...m/episode-ii/bts/profile/f20020124/index.html.

My sweetheart opted to genuflect and declare his loyalty to the true Emperor. ^:)^

I am happy to report that Mr. McDiarmid was courteous and kind in both encounters.

Cryogenic likes this.
  22. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    I really wish I could have actually met him. In 2007, I only had a glimpse of him in the distance at Celebration Europe in London. He was on the stage in front of everyone, delivering a speech. Suddenly, he broke into his Sidious voice, he pulled down his vest over his face and said: "Happy Friday the thirteenth!"
    And we all went completely bananas. According to my friends, I was completely awestruck. :D

23. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    I really wish I could have actually met him. In 2007, I only had a glimpse of him in the distance at Celebration Europe in London. He was on the stage in front of everyone, delivering a speech. Suddenly, he broke into his Sidious voice, he pulled down his vest over his face and said: "Happy Friday the thirteenth!"
    And we all went completely bananas. According to my friends, I was completely awestruck. :D

24. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012

25. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012