main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT The Fantastic Ian McDiarmid

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Darthkarma, May 18, 2002.

1. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    *The last book closes. The candle has long since guttered and died but for now the night has passed. The man in the robe pushes back his hood, stretches and pads over to the nearby window. While the glass is cracked and broken he still has a clear view of the sun rising up behind the far mountains, painting them gold. The symbolism isn't lost on him.

It had been fascinating to refresh his memory. FIGS has a very long history...he'd experienced most of it himself. Had even been the figurehead of the order, for a while. There were battles. Many battles. Troopers and war droids, ancient weapons, ancient powers. Schemes and traps. Statues raised of silver and gold, a great Ziggurat that towered over the Temple, spacecraft and warriors. The faithful fought for power under the watchful eye of the God. Victories won...mistakes made. Including his own. Praises and devotions cried to the heavens.

And now? The Ziggurat destroyed in a massive war of succession. The Temple in ruins from a Thought Bomb. The faithful scattered and armies gone. The works of the Almighty Ian would still catch the attention of a few devotees, but those that knew the rumours and made the trip found no clear path or direction. Only the wreckage of the ghosts of the past, an echoing hall, shadows. They moved on. A lonely Neimoidian made his solitary pilgrammage up the mountainside to pay his respects. To the forgotten places. To the Temple. To possibly make sure the heavy plinth was still shoved in front of that door.

But things change. The fire was too strong to ever fade completely. The embers were still there. An opportunity arises to stoke some life back into them.*

Some small reserves of money remain in the hidden FIGS coffers. I shall send out messengers (and in a couple cases, bounty hunters :p) after the most notable former members of the society in hopes of tracking them down. I propose to melt down the statues to help raise further revenue, while leading enough material aside to raise up a single golden statue of Ian above the entranceway to the Temple. There is much work ahead to rebuild the Temple itself. Perhaps some parts can never be as they were - as said, I'd recommend staying away from Palpigeon in the Holy Halls for the time being - but the intent is there. What little remains of the Ziggurat will be left as it is, in ruins, a powerful symbol.

I was also fortunate enough to find the activation schematics for these chaps:

*he produces a device from his sleeve and presses a button. With a whirr of servos, around forty battle droids troop into the hallway and stand to attention*

A small number, from an order that used to have armies of hundreds if not thousands fighting for them, but appreciated nonetheless. They can help to protect us and the Temple as we look to survive and rebuild.

But of course, we need fresh blood to truly live and grow.

This is FIGS - The Fantastic Ian is God Society. Our doors are open to any that wish to come pay tribute to Mr McDiarmid in any of his works, be it Star Wars or otherwise. Performances of the past, the present and any upcoming projects. If you'd like to post something about him, this is the place to do it. Be as serious or as silly as you'd like (we're very good at the latter). We may enjoy a little creative writing between discussions ;) in the tradition of sneaky Sith everywhere but, at heart, shared enjoyment of his career is the whole point of the thread. It was true when it was started in 2002, and I'd very much like to think it's true and still serves a role today in 2014.

There's also the fact we could reach 13,000 posts here if we can reach page 521 which would be a nice little milestone!

Welcome all. *burst of force lightning*

FIGS: Have fun!

JohnWesleyDowney likes this.
  2. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004
    Gosh, is this thread now TWELVE YEARS OLD? When I started it under my old screenname DarthKarma, I would have never dreamed I would be posting here in 2014.

In all this time, no one has rivaled the awesomeness of the mighty Ian McDiarmid. His legend grows as the years pass.

gracesonnet and DamonD like this.
  3. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Wow, he really was right about that sympathy vote :p

4. Hans-Olo

Hans-Olo Jedi Master star 5

Feb 12, 2003
    It is with great reluctance that I agreed to this calling. I love democracy. I love FIGS.

LottDodd, DamonD and JohnWesleyDowney like this.
  5. DamonD

Nov 22, 2002
    Good....gooooood. JWD and Hans return. I must tip those two messengers when I get a chance.

Very nice to see you both! :D

Now you're here, Hans, we need to talk about this statue of yours...I'm gonna get mine melted down but didn't want to speak for you, of course. Got to get the cash to rebuild the Temple after all.

Lott's statue, meanwhile, has a quite appalling amount of graffiti all over it. Ch, Chi-something or other.

6. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Hey FIGS - So, what are we going to do to make sure GOD features in Episode VII?

DamonD likes this.
  7. DARTH_CHINA

DARTH_CHINA Jedi Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    *cackles*
    good... good...

The great posts above bring back good memories from the past... the glorious leadership of the first spiritual leader of the FIGS and the chaos that followed after his benevolent reign. [face_mischief] ;)

I need to do a great deal of catching up... I'm almost embarrased to say I forgot about Palpigeon or the great Ziggurat or a statue for Hans-Olo?????? :p
    Surely we must have been drunk when we decided to give him a statue [face_devil] , or perhaps he did the decision making back then. :p

Hmm... LottDodd's statue with graffitti all over it... I'm not sure who would have the courage to do such a radical act of vandalism.
    LottDodd was loved by "many" (well some, I guess) and we sure loved to back stab him whenever we had the chance! The poor guy still believes he was in AOTC... while we all know it was GilramosLibkath. [face_devil]
    I believe LottDodd once killed me over this dispute. :p

Come to think about it, I'm not sure how many times I died over here... must be over a 1000 times, surely ;)
    But we return from the dead... we all do, as should Palpatine in the new trilogy, in some form or another.

An interesting question indeed... we must act quickly, those wannabe villains are rentless! ;)

For the ST to succeed as a saga, this just cannot be the end for Palpatine... at least, he should be mentioned a couple of times.

So what could we do?
    The usual, I guess: force choking opponents, some crazy blasts of forcelightning, creating evil plots in the shadows and so on ;)

And all for one!
    ONE GOD!
    Ian McDiarmid... blessing us with his brilliance!

For those who didn't, you should surely try to watch/rent/buy the bbc series "37 days", about the days before the start of WorldWar 1. He was lead actor in it and was fantastic, as usual. I really enjoyed
    the series.... and it featured some of his funny mouth movements. ;)

*thinks about His brilliance*

*dies, explodes and so on*

*** FIGS: Ian McDiarmid is THE God! ***

DamonD likes this.
  8. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    DamonD likes this.
  9. DamonD

Nov 22, 2002
    The trio of statues, to add to (and vastly overshadow :p) the old statue of The Almighty Ian was Lott's idea, as a kind of grand gesture during the last time we were all waxing nostalgic about our Spiritual Leadershipping.

One of himself, 100 foot tall and made of gold. One of me and one of Hans, made of silver and 50 foot tall. I must admit they look very shiny in the light here, but they're a little bit ostentatious. Not that I said no to him building them, ahem.
    Mine is holding a giant fish behind its back for some reason...

He offered you one as well, China, but you refused him. Out of a sense of moral duty, you might say. Or perhaps other might say because there was going to be a Darth China Tithe to pay for it and you sensed the rocks that would be hurled your way ;)

I feel we need get a new (and solo) one of Ian back up on the Temple entrance. It should be him and him alone up there. We'll benefit from the funds from melting the current ones down, this place hasn't exactly been raking in the cash in recent years. I don't want to have my next meaningful dramatic gaze out of the windows when they're all cracked and dirty like this, a Sith glazier at least would be a good early move.

BTW, yes - my parents had actually caught 37 Days last month and recommended it to me. It's notable because they're not war buffs at all, a drama about the build up to World War I wouldn't normally interest them at all but they caught it and enjoyed it. Haven't gotten round to it...I shall make time of course! *flails self with a branch in penance*

It'll be coming out in DVD and Blu-ray (the God in HD again!) on June 9th, in the UK and hopefully elsewhere around the same date too.

[​IMG]

Cryogenic likes this.
  10. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    ^^^^^^
    37 Days completely passed me by. We will watch this one with great interest. ^:)^

Cryogenic likes this.
  11. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    ^^^^^^^

37 Days completely passed me by. I will watch this one with great interest.^:)^

Cryogenic and DamonD like this.
  12. Hans-Olo

Hans-Olo Jedi Master star 5

Feb 12, 2003
    [face_dunno] Well, well... It's been quite a while , since I've entered the holy temple... Modern technology has influenced the empire, such as buttons have been replaced by touchscreens... Makes it easier to get rid of all the dust... Wipe it out, all of it!

Concerning MY statue: Iam not quite sure how melting it down, after yours have already been cashed in, will help?

DamonD likes this.
  13. DamonD

Nov 22, 2002
    We need all the money we can get. Most of the walls are damaged or missing, windows broken, furniture has rotted away, we're out of orangeade and I don't even want to talk about the state of the toilets.

I think it'd be better to have just the one statue up, of the God, but I'm open to debate here. We all, naturally, love democracy [face_mischief]

My statue is already gone, I got some of the battle droids to pull it down. They were pretty bad at it, but hey, it's down and the damage doesn't matter. Thankfully we were able to get the old heretic flame pit going again so it's currently bubbling away into its constituent precious metals for later collection in there at the moment. Didn't fancy trying to sell a 50ft silver statue of me on Ebay, better this way.

14. Jedi_Kenobi32

Jedi_Kenobi32 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2005
    Hello fellow FIGSers its been a long time. Can't believe this almighty thread is twelve years old now.

There is a Sidious/Palpatine fanclub thread in the SWC community thread. Would you guys like for me to provide a link to the FIGS thread in that fanclub? Thus any members of the Sidious/Palpatine fanclub can check out FIGS and thus become potential new FIGSers. :D What do you guys think? Should I provide a link to FIGS in the Sidious/Palpatine fanclub thread?

DamonD likes this.
  15. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    My favorite movie Ian was in has to be ROTJ. Excellent. Pretty good in the PT as well.

DamonD likes this.
  16. DamonD

Nov 22, 2002
    Nice to see you again, Force Smuggler.

And the messengers succeed again, welcome back Jedi_Kenobi32!
    Letting the SWC club know about us sounds good, particularly if they're disposed to a little theatrical writing ;) We need fresh members here. Someone's got to help sweep up the broken crockery, for one thing.

All in favour, say "aye". All opposed - *burst of force lightning* - say "aye" as well :p

FIGS: When, you want, the flavour of bacon, in a dip.

Jedi_Kenobi32 likes this.
  17. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Can I join? I like that this here is celebrating Ian not just Sids. :)

18. Jedi_Kenobi32

Jedi_Kenobi32 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2005
    Cushing's Admirer of course you can join. :)

Welcome to the FIGS Cushing's Admirer. We have been expecting you. /Emperor voice.

19. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Yay! [face_party]:D

Thank you for the acceptance and welcome, JK32. :)

DamonD and Jedi_Kenobi32 like this.
  20. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm all in.

DamonD likes this.
  21. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    I have to say seeing Ian work with Jeremy Irons in Elizabeth I was unexpected and interesting for me. :)

22. DamonD

Nov 22, 2002
    Welcome to the slightly crumbly FIGS Temple! Renovations are under way, after we accidentally obliterated large parts of it in our little scuffles *cough*

Please feel free to post anything and everything about The Almighty Ian. I think we're all holding out hope that he might get a cameo or something in Ep7 yet, but in the meantime there's still a lot of career to talk about!

On an official note, my silver statue has finished melting down so I've arranged a reasonable cash trade. I'll be putting some of that towards the Twix budget. There's a lot of boring sweeping up to be done and bits of rubble and metal to collect, but we've got to get this place looking better and worthy of the God.

It doesn't do for him to gaze down and see the cushions all over the place.

23. markdeez

markdeez Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2005
    This thread just turned 12 years old, this week. Does the OP still post here? :)

DamonD likes this.
  24. DamonD

Nov 22, 2002
    Yes!

He was called DarthKarma when he created this thread, but you can see him up above as JohnWesleyDowney.

It's been a hell of a ride, and we're still rolling. Happy 12th Birthday, FIGS!

25. DamonD

Nov 22, 2002
    Right. I've cleared up all the rubble in the main hall and the friendly neighborhood Sith glazers did an outstanding job sorting out the window repairs. The steps to the Temple are getting a good brush 'n' clean at the moment and I've got someone working on buffing up the holy relics and tapestries.

What's next?

26. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004
    Air freshener?

DamonD likes this.