main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT The Fantastic Ian McDiarmid

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Darthkarma, May 18, 2002.

1. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    A fair point! It does get a little musty in here. Let's try this one, it's called...uh..."Hint of Betrayal", apparently. Most fitting *pssssssssh*

We're not at our busiest at the moment, but the renovations continue apace. There was an accident when a door slammed onto a poor carpenter's leg the other day, but if he would insist on berating the old thing then it was bound to try to get him back eventually.

FIGS - vaguely rectangular

2. LottDodd

LottDodd Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2002
    My long sigil seems to have paid off... The faithful are at last returning to the Temple.

Construction of a NEW DEATH STAR should commence in celebration and anticipation of IAN's INEVITABLE RETURN to us.

DamonD likes this.
  3. LottDodd

Oct 4, 2002
    And how dare my statue be so besmirched... I will take it as a sign of my effective administration and transformation of the FIGS into the powerful cult entity it became that I created so many jealous rivals to my power. My Spiritual Leadership is still BENEVOLENT in IAN's EYEs....

DamonD likes this.
  4. DamonD

Nov 22, 2002
    Welcome back, Lord LottDodd! *burst of force lightning*

Your dedicated vigil in honour of the God was most inspiring. I nearly shed a tear. There's a lesson there for us all, be it due to a weakening of faith or being trapped behind a suspiciously heavy door.

The thick layer of rather unpolite graffiti all over your statue is unfortunate, indeed. Mine was rather clean...lets say your statue was a rather more obvious target due to its impressive size, perhaps? It seems as if the graffiti artists were the only ones almost as persistent in visiting this old ruin as you were.

Do you want your statue cleaned or, like mine, melted down to raise funds? I need to see how they're getting on with the new one of the Almighty Ian...

5. LottDodd

Oct 4, 2002
    IAN's GLORY shall never be Burnished..... My Own Humble Golden Collossus, is not required to be smelted for filfthy lucre. Rather let it serve as an example that even the humblest of HIS SERVENTS shall be rewarded for their dedication...

DamonD likes this.
  6. LottDodd

Oct 4, 2002
    Rise my thread...

Best line in TPM:

Best line in AOTC:

Best line in ROTS:

(As spoken by THE FANTASTIC IAN MCDIARMID of course)

Annnnd..... GO!

DamonD likes this.
  7. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    TPM - "Wipe them out. All of them"

AOTC - "I love democracy. I love the Republic"

ROTS - "Are you going to kill me"? [I would certainly like to] "I know you would. I can feel your anger. I gives you focus.Makes you stronger"

With ROTS there's so many to choose from though. [face_laugh]

8. LottDodd

Oct 4, 2002
    In the interest of not repeating those excellent choices...

TPM: You COULD call for a vote of no confidence... (Perhaps a subtle force suggestion, but cautious enough not to press the issue)

AOTC: Master Yoda, do you really think that it will come to war? (He knows full well it will, he's just amusing himself by watching Yoda struggle to see the future)

ROTS: The Darkside of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be... unnatural. (The entire tale of the Tragedy of Darth Plauegis is the highlight of the prequels)

(But if I was completely honest, G-FETT beat me to the ROTS quote... The only moment when IAN shows us Sidious unmasked and unshrouded.)

Cryogenic, DamonD and G-FETT like this.
  9. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    (double post)

10. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Yeah, what I like about the ROTS passages is how his voice gradually changes from Palpatine's to Sidious.

As though in his state of near arousal at almost turning The Chosen One to the dark side he can't contain the mask of normalcy and you get a glimpse at the terrible monster lurking below the surface.

The way Ian can change his inflection is quite extraordinary.

11. ObiAlKenobi

ObiAlKenobi Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2012
    A wonderful actor who, for me, was the brightest "spot" in the prequels. His portrayal of the Emperor was chilling.

DamonD likes this.
  12. DamonD

Nov 22, 2002
    Welcome, ObiAlKenobi. Nice to see a new face in this starting-to-become-pretty-presentable-again old temple. Try not to bump into the battle droids, there, they can be a bit jumpy.

As for some choice quotes...

TPM - The Supreme Chancellor is mired in baseless accusations of corruption. The bureaucrats are in charge now. (love the delivery, including the innocent lift on 'baseless'
    AOTC - The situation is that serious? Oh, but I do, Senator. (another nice flash of Sidious coming out here)
    ROTS - Good is a point of view, Anakin. (liked the echo to Obi-Wan's later words)

That filthy lucre is being directly channelled towards fixing the walls, re-painting the bathrooms and re-supplying the stocks of those cinnamon rolls you enjoy so much, so don't knock it.

FIGS : No longer out of cinnamon rolls

Cryogenic and LottDodd like this.
  13. LottDodd

Oct 4, 2002
    Wait... The cinnamon rolls are back?!?!?

14. LottDodd

Oct 4, 2002
    Where is that Belgian DARTH CHINA when you need him?

I want waffles dammit!

15. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    LottDodd No Double Posting. Please review thread pinned on top of this forum.

16. LottDodd

Oct 4, 2002
    Possible Spoiler Alert

Stop Reading if you don't want to hear rumours

Last Warning

The Emperor MAY be returning for Ep VII... It is possible he wont be played by McDiarmid. (I think it's unlikely that IAN wont be involved if Palpatine is back, even if his BODY is played by someone or something else, they would be remiss not to utilize his voice)

PHEW! You are safe now.....

17. DamonD

Nov 22, 2002
    Hope everyone is doing well. Caught Dragonslayer on tv the other week, featuing The God in a cameo. The Vermithrax Pejorative is not welcome in FIGS.

We're also coming up to the 13,000th post in the FIGS thread. That'll be an amazing milestone to hit :)

FIGS - lurking

18. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    LottDodd Please use the spoiler MUCs if you want to post a spoiler

19. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005

All these quotations make me feel -- especially the TPM one directly above...

That Palpatine is really the "Dark Side" of the characters' internal misgivings, indiscretions, and vanities being reflected back on them.

Palpatine invites the characters to embrace their turmoil; and in that way, he's only really returning what they send out -- as if he weren't really "there" (as a separate character) at all...

I could give a little breakdown for every line. Why not?

- "Wipe them out. All of them."
    Go on, you know you want to...

- "I love democracy, I love the Republic."
    Thinks Jar Jar contentedly and uncritically for finally finding acceptance after his little speech gains uproarious applause.

- "I can feel your anger. It gives you focus. Makes you stronger."
    Hey, I'm allowed to be mad and awesome. This anger thing could really take me places, after all...

- "You COULD call for a vote of no confidence..."
    I could, couldn't I?

- "Master Yoda, do you really think it will come to war?"
    This whole Jedi-serving-the-Galactic-Republic thing; I always knew it would end in disaster...

- "The Dark Side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural."
    Yeah, to hell with the likes of Obi-Wan and Yoda. I can write my own destiny...

The Phantom Menace, indeed.

DamonD and G-FETT like this.
  20. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    I'd never noticed that, but you really can turn the quotes around on project them on to the other person.[face_thinking]

DamonD and Cryogenic like this.
  21. LottDodd

Oct 4, 2002
    Off topic... but your Beloved Former Spiritual Leader, LottDodd, makes his Television Debut tonight on Z Nation....

And I was thinking of IAN the entire time....

DamonD and Cryogenic like this.
  22. AplagueOnTheWise

AplagueOnTheWise Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2013
    I call for a vote of no confidence In the topic author. For it is impossible to choose only one line from each film.

DamonD likes this.
  23. awefc

awefc Jedi Youngling

Sep 20, 2014
    he portays the antagonist superbly. I prefer him in rots

DamonD likes this.
  24. DamonD

Nov 22, 2002
    Congratulations LottDodd! The God would be pleased, and I'm pleased for you. Thank you also to those that have contributed here since my last post .

Things have gone quite well here. The repairs to the Temple are almost complete! We've had no problems with the battle droids, the toilets are now frankly outstanding and, while I don't except the same kind of buzz (unless we get very lucky and The Almighty Ian returns to the Sequel Trilogy in some form) this place has still been more active than during 2009, 2011 and 2012 thanks to us blowing the dust off the old place a bit. I hope this remains somewhere people feel is worth the trek up the mountainside to come worship the God from time to time amongst us old stagers.

In just two posts, by the next page, FIGS will hit 13,000 posts in total. We must order balloons!

FIGS - possibly those little cheese cubes on sticks, too

25. LottDodd

Oct 4, 2002
    Sheev...

A fitting revelation for our 13,000 post.

Long live the FIGS!