main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT The Fantastic Ian McDiarmid

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Darthkarma, May 18, 2002.

1. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    I,m rather new to this thread but with that many posts I guess this thread has :

[​IMG]

Did the picture come out OK? Just making sure.

DamonD likes this.
  2. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    ...and with that, thanks to the good Chancellor here, FIGS has hit the 13,000 posts mark!

I'd like to extend thanks and best wishes to everyone past and present that contributed to this merry little slice of madness.
    I came back to the thread in hopes of helping to give the old place a bit of life and for it to continue being something where those wishing to pay homage to The Almighty Ian could come.

With the new Ep7 teaser trailer out, I hope this also helps to rev things up and get some viewers looking back to the OT and PT and enjoying Mr McDiarmid's performance as much as well all have.

Let's hope we can finish off the year with a few more comments and words of praise in this dusty old temple (actually, it'll looking quite spiffy now the cleaners have finished their work).

FIGS - still kicking, particularly when your back is turned

Cryogenic likes this.
  3. DamonD

Nov 22, 2002
    *dons a red and white fur lined version of Palpatine's robes*

Wishing all FIGSers past and present a Happy Christmas or similar gift-giving event!

Hope you get what you wanted, up to and including unliiiiiiiimited powah.

Cryogenic likes this.
  4. AllHailSidious

AllHailSidious Jedi Youngling

Dec 26, 2014
    FANTASTIC performance.
    3 & 6 are my favourite Ian performances as Palpatine.
    Especially the over the top scenes.

And I always get a laugh at his facial expression when he says "now witness the firepower of this FULLY armed and operational battle station!"

DarthSheev and Cryogenic like this.
  5. AllHailSidious

AllHailSidious Jedi Youngling

Dec 26, 2014
    FANTASTIC performance.
    3 & 6 are my favourite Ian performances as Palpatine.
    Especially the over the top scenes.

And I always get a laugh at his facial expression when he says "now witness the firepower of this FULLY armed and operational battle station!"

Cryogenic and DamonD like this.
  6. LottDodd

LottDodd Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2002
    Merry FIGSmas to all!!!

Maybe it is wishful thinking on my part, but with both James Earl Jones and Frank Oz reprising their roles on Rebels, I am hopeful we may get an IAN cameo yet...

Plus, with a movie a year, they have to find a place for him somewhere, especially if they are jumping around the timeline...

DamonD likes this.
  7. Prequel_Rubbish

Prequel_Rubbish Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 5, 2014
    Thought he was great in Jedi and beginning of the prequels like TPM. Slowly got worse from there. By ROTS I thought he was sometimes a parody of himself and sometimes a weakling. Came off horrible to me.

8. DamonD

Nov 22, 2002
    Indeed, former Spiritual Leader LottDodd, we can only hope that they can squeeze The God in there somewhere. He only needs a foothold, that's all ;)

It's a little early but, since I'm not online tomorrow, I'm wishing everyone a Happy New Year and hope that 2015 brings us a little more Palpatine magic yet!

LottDodd and Cryogenic like this.
  9. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    This is a wonderful thread with wonderful fans/FIGSers! Hard to believe it's almost thirteen years old! ^:)^

TPM ---> ROTS = 13!

And 2015 marks the release of another Star Wars movie.

"I have waited a long time for this moment, my little green FIGSers..." ;)

Happy New Year, all, and may the dark and chocolatey side of the Force be with us! [face_clown][:D] [face_party]

LottDodd likes this.
  10. DARTH_CHINA

DARTH_CHINA Jedi Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Happy New Year, my fellow FIGSers! :D

I certainly would like some more Ian McDiarmid related projects in 2015! Indeed, it'd be great if he's featured in Star Wars Rebels, it's certainly possible.
    Apart from Rebels, I hope he'll be mentioned in Ep. VII, it'll bring warm feelings to my heart. ;)

So, I'm looking forward to Ep.VII and its new villains, but I really hope they won't weaken Palpatine's legacy, making him a pawn to someone's who's even bigger, more evil. There's only one puppet master for me and it's Palpatine... that should be enough!

And who knows, perhaps there will be a Palpatine spinoff in the future, i'd love that!

11. DamonD

Nov 22, 2002
    Thanks guys, and indeed China - we can only hope! You have to feel that there's going to be somewhere our Dark Lord can fit in.

Our lovely evil temple gathered up an additional 71 posts this year. While I don't expect our numbers of the Prequel years (and Mods I certainly don't intend this thread to be posts for the sake of posting, we try to keep it Ian-centric as much as possible and your indulgence is appreciated :D ), it'd be nice if we ended up hitting 100+ in 2015. We haven't done triple figures since 2008, when we had 233 posts.

So let's hope our cheery threatening abode will get a few more worshippers up the mountain trail this year, to help keep the dust off the place and listen to us old stagers babble on!

FIGS - Back in MY day, the Sith lightning was lightningier!

12. Haruss

Haruss Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 24, 2014
    Doing camp and ham well requires skills just as "super Oscar dramatic" acting. Many actors fall flat on their faces thinking camp/ham/over-the-top is easy.

13. Iron Lung

Iron Lung Jedi Youngling

Jan 4, 2015
    Wow, I remember this thread! It's so old that I must actually have contributed to it somewhere a few hundred pages back in a former incarnation.

Darkslayer and DamonD like this.
  14. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    Ian McDiarmid is a great actor. Besides, he has an M.A. in psychology, and he was a director of stage performance theater. The poor man had a heart attack while he was acting on stage in 2008, but he kept on acting during and after the heart attack. I wish the man the best.

darklordoftech and DamonD like this.
  15. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    There is a strange disturbance in the FIGS ... I sense a presence I have not felt for a long time.

IAN for Episode VIII!

DamonD likes this.
  16. DamonD

Nov 22, 2002
    Well, even without The Almighty Ian in it, the new trailer has certainly got me in the SW mood. My excitement is now properly building thanks to that one, and it won't be the last. Might be time to break open the bluray set and get a refresher course on The God's gloriousness!

How are the rest of the faithful feeling about the new trailer?

FIGS - "Chewie....RIIIIIIIISE."

Hans-Olo likes this.
  17. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Ian's at Celebration right now, I'm pretty sure - anyone get a chance to meet him there?

DamonD likes this.
  18. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    All the movies would have benefitted from more screentime for Sheev. For example, we should see the dissolution of the Senate and we should see Sheev and Anakin together more in AOTC.

DamonD likes this.
  19. Hans-Olo

Hans-Olo Jedi Master star 5

Feb 12, 2003
    Chewie we're home. ^:)^

DamonD likes this.
  20. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    Greetings, all...I'm new to this thread but I'm a big fan of Ian's performance in all the films. I thought this thread would be the appropriate place to post a link to the interview Ian did at this year's Celebration (for archival purposes, of course^:)^)

Ian's panel starts at about 4 (hours):59 (minutes) in:

And beginning at about the 5 hour 28 minute mark, Ian does a reading from a "Star Wars Shakespeare" version of Return of the Jedi!

21. DarthSheev

DarthSheev Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 9, 2015
    Ian was amazing in these movies. He was especially great in ROTS and ROTJ. Can't wait for the Lords of the Sith book to see Sheev in all his dark side glory.

DamonD likes this.
  22. smoothkaz

smoothkaz Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 25, 2014
    Ian reading from The Jedi Doth Return gave me chills.

23. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    [​IMG]

DarthSheev and DamonD like this.
  24. DamonD

Nov 22, 2002
    A glorious post, Pensivia! What a praiseworthy way to enter our old Temple here, bringing word from the God himself. Great stuff!

Pensivia likes this.
  25. Hans-Olo

Hans-Olo Jedi Master star 5

Feb 12, 2003
    *throws a smelly fish at Damon*
    Found something in the archives...

*cackling*

F.I.G.S. - I must be Frank, Frank Palpatine.

DamonD likes this.
  26. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Thank you so much, Pensivia - hearing Ian's commentary on the ballet scene, and watching him watch that scene on stage is something I'm not sure we'll see again. Just outstanding.

Pensivia and DamonD like this.