main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT The Fantastic Ian McDiarmid

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Darthkarma, May 18, 2002.

1. Jedi_Suzuran

Jedi_Suzuran Jedi Knight star 5

May 22, 2002
    I totally agree, Darthkarma. It's not just his character, but Ian who relishes his bad a$$ role in SW. You can totally tell from that twinkle in his eyes as he's trying to be humble/concerned that he's enjoying himself. And I enjoy watching him. Per-freakin'-fection! ;)
    *simpers gushingly at a picture of Ian*

2. green_cross_code

green_cross_code Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 11, 2000
    "From your point of view.

The whole point of the entire devolution process is that we Scots aren't comfortable with the 'British' tag that the English put on slavery all those years ago.

It's sort of like Northen Ireland only we didn't have as many guns and explosives.

Look, don't try and start any arguments with your anti-English crap. This is a fact: Scotland is in Britain. That is all I said.

I wasn't denying McDiarmid is Scottish. I was saying that, by extension, he's also British. He's clearly not uncomfortable with the association with England otherwise he wouldn't be living here.

And another thing: Northern Ireland isn't in Britain. That's a completely different kettle of fish.

3. Dark_wookiee

Dark_wookiee Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 1, 2002
    I love this!

keep the topic going. I love reading people's reactions on Mr McDiarmid. He is truly the greatest actor around in my book.

I better go and kneel at my Ian Shrine.

4. Kryatt_Dragon

Kryatt_Dragon Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 15, 2002
    Darth, I couldn't agree with you more that Ian McDiarmid is a terrific actor and that he was totally underutilized in epII but I disagree that his performance was terrific. I don't blame him at all for this. I blame George Lucas' and his whacked sensibilities as a director and storyteller. I just thought that he sounded so insincere when saying certain things that it was funny. I mean...when he says, "I love democracy. I love the republic" you can totally tell that it's fake. If I were another politician or a member of the jedi council I'd be suspicious of the guy instantly.

Palpatine the character needed to be more subtle...as did many other aspects of the movie. I would've made the guy appear as normal as any other politician. Make him sympathetic but not over-the-top sympathetic. Again, it's GL's fault. I've become almost completely disenchanted with George Lucas. I guess that's another subject isn't it?

5. DARTH_CHINA

DARTH_CHINA Jedi Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Well, Kryatt-Dragon , I think it was really important for Ian to stress the treachery of that scene, because that scene was straight after Dooku?s confession about Sidious controlling the senate. Maybe it was another hint to show that Palps is up to no good.

But, uncle Palpy will always be the most charming character ever!! :p He?s so bad, but he always ?young or old- smiles.

EPISODE I -------------- EPISODE II -------------- EPISODE VI-------------
    [image=http://www.theforce.net/multimedia/archive/Images/Episode_1/Characters/Palpatine/palpatine.jpg] [image=http://geocities.com/blackrita_2000/palpy.jpg] [image=http://www.theforce.net/kids/coruscant/probe_droid/palpatine.jpg]
    He's such a grand actor that even his smile is getting closer & closer to his ROTJ-one :D

6. Dark_wookiee

Jul 1, 2002
    Darth China, I love your signature!

that would indeed be... unbearable :)

7. MachinatingMachiavel

MachinatingMachiavel Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 1, 2002
    yeah, that is funny. :)

8. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    Darth_China - thanks for the piccys (I can't download your epy II pic though).. seeing them (well, two of 'em) in sequence, makes me realise how great Ian was in ROTJ. I KNOW that actors are meant to pretend and all of that stuff, however it is uncommon, in mainstream films, to find young actors who can carry roles like ancient despotic psychopaths off very well. That Ian was only 37 when he was "nasty" Palpy in ROTJ highlights his talents (in my utterly unbiased opinion)... One thing though, I must concede that I do prefer Palpy in basic black complemented by evil pasty white face. I felt that Ian carried off the Naboo velvet gear off better than, say, Oliver Ford-Davis in TPM eek! the revolting purple velvet dresses that they had to wear...), black does really set off unnaturally pallid skin and force lightning much better than lavender velvet...

Just my opinion though :)

9. arabiansanchez

arabiansanchez Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2001
    "Look, don't try and start any arguments with your anti-English crap. This is a fact: Scotland is in Britain. That is all I said."

I'm not anti-English, just anti- what the English did all they years ago.

What does July 4th (today if you didn't notice) mean to Americans?
    Freedom from the English.

That's what is happening in present day Scotland (and should be happening in N.Ireland but shalln't due to the large protestant presence).

Anyhow, enough of my ill informed political talk and propaganda.

Just thought my opinion should be made clear.

Back to F.I.G.S.

Ian rules!

YODAAAAAA!!

10. green_cross_code

green_cross_code Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 11, 2000
    For God's sake get over yourself.

Stop trying to politicise a simple statement. This forum is not the place for it.

11. arabiansanchez

arabiansanchez Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2001
    "For God's sake get over yourself.

Stop trying to politicise a simple statement. This forum is not the place for it."

It would appear I'm no longer the one draggin this topic out.

I admit my wording could have been better and my comments were hastily posted and inappropriate.

If, however, the original comment had not been challenged (and you, Green Cross Code, had not posted a follow up to it and to my own comments) then we wouldn't be having this 'conversation'.

Finally, where are you from if you don't mind my asking?

Anyhow, as I said, back to F.I.G.S.

YODAAAA!!

12. Jedi_Suzuran

May 22, 2002
    Darth_China, your signature is wonderful and would probably bring tears to even Palpy's eyes. Crocodile tears! Mwahahahahah! [face_devil]
    The pics are great though.
    Aah, that Palpy smile...*sweet*!
    Okay, I need to do my daily Ian worship.
    ;) Remember, boys and girls, you too must do your Ian worship. ;)
    FIGs 4ever!

13. Kryatt_Dragon

Mar 15, 2002
    Hey DARTH_CHINA.

A character can drop hints without being so hammy and over-the-top about it. That doesn't sound like much of a rebuttle to me. My chief complaint about Ian's character (and notice I say "character") is that he is "way" too obvious in his insincerity that it's laughable. I can't possibly be the only person who thinks this. Again, this is not a complaint about the actor himself. It's a complaint about the nonsensical choices that GL has made as a storyteller and director.

I thought that Palpatine was perfect in Return of the Jedi. I don't think there's ever been a better portrayel of wickedness and evilness in the history of cinema. You know who wrote the screenplay for Return of the Jedi. Surprise, it was Lawrence Kasdan! Now there's a guy who understands the meat and potatoes of what makes a good story. For whatever reason Georgy decided throw away Ian's talents as an actor. I just think it's sad.

14. Emperor_Dan

Emperor_Dan Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 1999
    I agree. I don't know what the characters thought during those scenes, but "Perhaps an old friend", he sounds SO wicked. Don't the characters look at him like he's nuts? In EpI I totally believed him. EpII? He's not the Emperor yet; he can't give away his guise.

15. Darthkarma

Darthkarma Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2000

Ian's not hammy or over the top.

Margaret Hamilton as the Wicked Witch of the West IS hammy and over the top. Michael Meyers in Austin Powers IS hammy and over the top. It's a matter of degree.

Some people just aren't very good at recognizing great acting when they see it.

McDiarmid's performance is PERFECT.

16. Emperor_Dan

Emperor_Dan Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 1999
    It wasn't the acting I'm after, it was the lines.

17. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    Palpatine: "I love democracy--!!"

[image=http://www.starwarsnet.co.uk/clonewar46.jpg]

Jay: "I love WOMEN!!!"

[image=http://students.cec.wustl.edu/~sm6/clerks/media/jay/seal.jpg]

;)

18. Jedi_Master201

Jedi_Master201 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    "In EpI I totally believed him."

Exactly. The reason for this, of course, is that he had to be convincing. This was the hardest and most crucial part of his plan, to become Supreme Chancellor. He had to make sure no one knew of his connection to the Sith and TF.

"Don't the characters look at him like he's nuts?"

Again, exactly! Remember that look Yoda gives to him? Of course he's beginning to sound insinscere, and this is why Yoda is beginning to suspect. I imagine the others don't show it much because they have so much to worry about. I mean, Yoda does too, but he looks deeper than most people.

The thing I'm seeing is that in TPM Palpatine had to be convincing. However, now that he has the power, he can start messing around a bit. Remember what he did with Luke in RotJ? It's in his nature to mess around and be sarcastic. He's too overconfident. This is what got him killed in RotJ. In AotC and Ep. III, though, he was able to play around with people and be sarcastic and STILL have his plans go through.

So don't try to tell me GL doesn't know what he's doing. ;) :p He's connecting the PT Palpatine with the old one. If you really think about it, you'll see what I'm talking about.

19. Luke_Clone

Luke_Clone Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    "So don't try to tell me GL doesn't know what he's doing. He's connecting the PT Palpatine with the old one. If you really think about it, you'll see what I'm talking about."

He's just been given the Emergency Powers... everything is going grand and Palpatine is basically the Emperor. If after all these years my plans, as well as those passed down from Sith to Sith were finally being realized, I would barely be able to control my emotions as well. He looked like he was just trying to keep a straight face without bursting out laughing... even if he did laugh I doubt the Senate would have any reservations about Palpatine's outburst as, "Hundreds of Senators are under the influence of Darth Sidious." ;)

20. Dark_wookiee

Jul 1, 2002
    Just did my morning worship of Ian.

about Palpy's credibility that he sometimes sound laughable in Ep 2.. I think one reason for that might also be that we KNOW what he's after - he'll be the Emperor. I went to see the film with a friend of mine (who is a non SW fan and doesn't know anything) and he actually thought that Palpy was with the good guys. I laughed so hard when he declared he loves democracy and the republic and my friend was totally confused at that point.

Ian is PERFECT. He's not hammy and I think he said in one interview that Palpy has to be supreme actor since he's up to no good and he's got to sound a bit insincere or something. Could be that I'm quoting it all wrong. But anyway, as someone mentioned, it's in Palpy's nature to be sarcastic, and now he has the power to be REALLY sarcastic.

anyway, this is dragging on and on, I better go and do my midday Ian worship.

FIGS!

21. Jedi_Suzuran

May 22, 2002
    Absolutely, the man's Brilliant!
    ;) [face_devil]

Your feeble bashing is no match for the power of McDiarmid!
    (another evil smile)
    *more lightning shoots out as more of Ian's detractors fall to their knees, becoming new converts*
    (Converts look up, seeing the great Ian. They begin bowing to the floor repeatedly, chanting:)
    WE'RE NOT WORTHY! WE'RE NOT WORTHY! WE'RE NOT WORTHY! WE'RE NOT WORTHY!....
    (evil smile grows bigger)
    Excellent. You have done well. Everything is going as planned.

Gotta sleep on that! ;) Dreams pass in time, but those with Ian linger...
    ;)
    FIGS FIGS FIGS!

22. Super_Nation_Jock

Super_Nation_Jock Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 4, 2002

FIGS forever!

That man is great playing Palpatine.

Count me as a big fan!!!!

(feels humbled and honored to be part of the Fantastic Ian Gusher society!)

23. Dark_wookiee

Jul 1, 2002
    Excellent.

FIGS seems to be growing faster than the Clone Army.

Everything is proceeding as planned.

May the Ian-force be with you.

24. FOTR-AOTC-TTT_2002

FOTR-AOTC-TTT_2002 Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 20, 2002
    Count me in.

btw, there was a "starwars fact file" with Palps on the cover two weeks ago. Inside they had a nice close up promo pic of the Chancellor. Never seen before.

Anyone could scan and post it please ?

25. Kryatt_Dragon

Mar 15, 2002
    Umm...Darthkarma,

I think it's interesting how you criticize my ability to detect "good acting" the second I criticize anything Ian does. I said it before and I'll say it again. Ian McDiarmid is one of the best actors I've ever seen. That doesn't mean he can't look over-the-top if his lines or GL's direction sucks. It's a matter of dialogue and direction...not Ian McDiarmid's acting ability. What I see is a great actor doing a great delivery of cheesy, over-the-top dialogue crafted by an inept director who seems to have forgotten the importance of subtlety.

What I'm saying is that his insincerity is so glaringly obvious to the point that one has to question how perceptive individuals like jedi can "overlook" it. And don't tell me that they would be remiss to follow up on their suspicions or powerless to confront his a## if his glaring insincerity did tip them off.

It may be that he is cocky because, unbeknownst to the jedi, he has managed to consolidate quite a bit of power but that still doesn't explain why the jedi would be so oblivious to his mealy mouthed sentimentality and try to do something about it.