The Fate of the Jedi - Technology vs The Force

Discussion in 'Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by stormcloud8, May 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stormcloud8 Force Ghost

star 4
    We know that the Jedi are essentially extinct and defeated at the end of III (or soon after). But we don't know how this happens. One thought I'm beginning to have...does technology ultimately bring about the defeat of the Jedi? Do their ways and their powers become obsolete? We are already seeing this with General Grievous, who appears to be nearly unstoppable. If the Separatists have one weapon to defeat the Jedi, who is to say that they don't have more? And who is to say that the Empire does not adopt this technology?

One of the running themes in Star Wars is the battle between nature and technology. We see this contrast in Vader himself, who is part man, part machine. The whole planet of Naboo is a contrast in technology vs the primitive. In ANH, there is a very open discussion on board the Death Star about the relative merits of technology and the Force. The general view of the Imperials is that the Force is an outdated and useless tool from the past. And finally, we see the triumph of nature in ROTJ, when the primitive Ewoks help to defeat the mighty Empire. I am wondering if, to complete this circle, the forces of evil in Ep III use technology to defeat the Jedi. Almost like an arms race of sorts, with the Jedi ending up on the losing end of things, their way of life wiped from the galaxy. In episode I and II, the Jedi are almost like supermen. But if technology were developed to render their lightsabers and perhaps Force powers useless, they could be eradicated quite easily.
  2. Garth Maul Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Yeah, that's an excellent point, storm.

I found it weird that a droid/alien hybrid would be the ultimate Jedi killer - and even able to use lightsabers!!

I think up until TPM-era Republic, the Jedi were the "heroes" of the galaxy and why would you want to wipe them out? They are the peacekeepers, judges, diplomats, and warriors that keep the GFFA together.

But they're not all-powerful.

Perhaps this is the first time in 1,000 years that large armies have been developed. "There hasn't been a full-scale war since the formation of the Republic!"

Remember that the droids in TPM were fairly useless as soldiers because they're used more for security, not total warfare.

So now there's at least one large army that is determined to wipe out the Jedi, using all the technology at their disposal.

In addition, the Jedi haven't really developed skills to fight a total war - thus, they aren't very effective generals in terms of tactics - acceptable losses, collateral damage, et cetera.

Plus, Palps has got Vader to wipe out the remaining Jedi over the next 20 years. ;)
  3. episodenone Force Ghost

star 4
    well, then u call into question whether or not u follow the EU (especially the comix)

while i do read EU, in this respect i have to defer to it not being canonical enough for this discussion
    because in the DH comix Sith War and others, the Jedi do have War-esque powers relating to large scale warfare

Also in Jedi vs Sith they go into battle with a CHEEZY speech that i cannot remember off hand about "there is no death..." yada yada yada

we don't seem to be seeing anything remotley similar thus far - and they weren't fighting droids in those books either - so "battle meditation" would fail in a battle with technology
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.