main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The fates of Artoo, Threepio, Chewie, the Millennium Falcon?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Ghost, May 24, 2018.

1. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Often overlooked as perpetually part of the fabric of the saga movies, I feel like TLJ has signalled that nothing is safe anymore, and we need to be prepared for the worst in IX. Especially since it might be the last of the Skywalker Saga movies.

I have a bad feeling about this... that at least one of the above will die or be destroyed. I think it's very possible that all will be gone by the end of IX.

My predictions:

R2-D2: 90% chance of being destroyed (after uploading his memories to something or someone else), hopefully getting to save the day one last time

The Millennium Falcon: 85% chance of being destroyed (during a heroic sacrifice)

C-3PO: 75% chance of being destroyed (if he does, I hope he does it in a vital way that surprises us all, say after Artoo is destroyed)

Chewbacca: 65% chance of being killed (perhaps with the Falcon, perhaps personally facing Kylo one more time)

2. BadCane

BadCane Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2015
    Maybe one or two may go, but I don't think all of them will. All I know is that a Chewie sacrifice scene would make me cry 100% sure

Jo Lucas likes this.
  3. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I think the Falcon is the only thing that will be destroyed. Isn't there already a thread like this out there?

cerealbox likes this.
  4. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    I would say only the Falcon has real chances of going away.

R2 and 3PO will remain under used for the next set of movies as well. 3PO has only been of use in the OT, as in the PT he was a clown more than anything else. R2 had its moments in the PT, but in the ST he is pretty much useless.

5. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    And would it really be all that bad if R2 and 3PO remained in diminished roles? They were great in the OT and I liked R2's small part in TLJ but we don't really need them anymore.

themoth likes this.
  6. Darth_Bertie

Mar 30, 2014
    I certanly did not miss them in TLJ, but maybe it would feel weird having more movies without them.

I guess BB-8 covers all the bases now. Heck, I would have loved for the new droid due to be K-2SO and BB-8.

7. Roosterq

Roosterq Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 6, 2017
    Sign of the times. Nothing is safe, and writers only want to see if they can shock the audience even more than the last guy. Why not actually continue an intriguing story instead of seeing just how many surprising dramatic twists you can cram in one movie or TV show.

DarthBane93 and Organafan like this.
  8. Darth Palpadious

Darth Palpadious Jedi Master star 3

May 31, 2013
    I think Chewie going down with the Falcon is extremely likely, a really symbolic way to provide real emotional climax to the saga.

I don't think the droids will go down but I actually would like them to. The continued presence of Threepio in particular has sort of gone beyond a joke - Artoo is smart enough to survive but Threepio sure isn't. They've contributed nothing to the ST really and they weren't missed from Solo where they've finally skipped a movie. They've been wonderful over the years but it's time to let the story move away from them.

Jo Lucas likes this.
  9. Organafan

Organafan Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 14, 2017
    Why?
    I don't understand why it is hard to include them well in "The Force Awakens" and "The Last Jedi." One consistency in this whole series has been that it is told somewhat from their view. Lucas even said "it's all Artoo's story" in a commentary track, so anyone working on these movies should have figured a way to really fit them in.
    As for the conclusion, they should live on. What has become a gimmick is killing characters off just to conclude a series or accentuate it.

Last edited: May 24, 2018
  10. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    I mean C3PO is kind of "useless" by design in SW. Unless there is a situation in which something really needs to be translated (Moister evaporators, Ewoks) he's kind of a tourist commenting comically on all this madness going on around him, mostly. He's a good foil in battle situations to the cocky seriousness of Han, Leia and Poe Dameron, etc. Luke was always pretty nice to him, though.

R2 on the other hand is a built as a problem solver, and even though BB8 has replaced him in a way, I think JJ owes it to fans to give R2 at least one great moment in Ep 9.

Last edited: May 24, 2018
  11. Roosterq

Roosterq Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 6, 2017
    So why do people say they love Star Wars, yet keep wanting it to be something else? Kill everything that came before, and do something different, but we still want it to be Star Wars??? for me personally it makes no sense. of course I am a simple man, and grew up with the OT, and that defined Star Wars for me. The PT expanded on that story in a meaningful way, so my only complaints on that were the few occasions of the cardboard acting/directing. The story and events were really great for me. The ST (TLJ mostly) appears to be dismantling the Star Wars story, not continuing it. It is becoming hard for me to connect the ST with the PT and OT. IMHO they need to maintain as much of what's left as they can of the previous saga from here forward to keep even a minor connection to what made Star Wars to begin with.

Last edited: May 25, 2018
  12. DarthHass

DarthHass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2004
    How about none of them die? What is this? The walking dead in Star Wars? I don't need my favorite characters to die to remind me of the possibility of instant death at any time.

I have the news to remind me of that, thank you very much.

13. RandomGreyJ

RandomGreyJ Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2016
    But we have to lEt tHe PaSt DiE (top ten things to say to your father on father's day :p)

But really though I wonder just how long the Falcon's gonna be around. Artoo and Threepio haven't been very useful outside of fanservice. But other than that they've served virtually no purpose. Artoo stopped being useful after he coughed up the last of the map to Skywalker. I wonder if they'll be deactivated voluntarily after the war is over? Like some sort of retirement thing after all of their friends are gone?

14. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    There's no point to kill them now, as Chewie and Artoo are played by younger actors, and you can't see Daniel's age when he's in the suit.

Just have them be the sideline guys who reminisce about the days of old.

I have a feeling that Nien might buy the farm like Ackbar did though.

15. DarthBane93

DarthBane93 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 11, 1999
    I hate the fact that R2 and 3PO have been sidelined. I am not a fan of BB8 - nice design, but terrible characteristics. He was atrocious in Ep8.
    I would like R2 and 3PO to remain alive moving beyond Ep9. I thought they were supposed to be the "storykeepers" of everything anyways - but that was GL's vision. KK and JJ want their own stamp and that is BB8.

Chewie and the Falcon should have been destroyed in TFA - along with Han. If you want some stakes and emotional impact, I agree, Chewie and the Falcon need to go in Ep9. I'd predict a 20% chance of that happening if people are putting odds down.

16. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    Well, IIRC Lucas said in one pre-PT interview that only the droids will be in all 9 films. So, if he did intend for 4 trilogies at one time, and did he intend the droids make it for another 3? Id he meant 9 episodes and 3 spinoffs and Disney does decide to do 10-12 anyway, do the droids and Chewie continue?

Lucas said after ROTS that a Whill took down R2’s account after 6. So maybe R2D2 survives 9 whether or not we stop at 9 or 12 if the Story Group remembers and influences the screenwriters.

17. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    R2 and C3PO will probably out live everyone.

18. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    I think Leia already fills their quota for IX, and that's by default. I'm not sure what they'll do with Kylo, however.

19. jaxbrah

jaxbrah Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 30, 2014
    considering what Disney has already done to Star Wars, this wouldnt surprise me one bit. But i have to ask, why? Why do they need to kill off or ruin core characters of the franchise we all love? I feel like they just want to be edgy and so far it has been cringeworthy.

This is Star Wars, not Game of Thrones. Star Wars is a fairy tale and the good guys dont die in fairy tales. We dont go to the theater to see our heroes die like some shakespear tragedy; we go to the theater to see our heroes struggle and then survive enough to save the galaxy at the end. Star Wars is the quintessential heroes journey and Kathleen kennedy has lost all sight of that. The idea that she fired Colin T. over the fact he wanted Luke to survive really irks me. And with their doubling down on their insistency to force feed their politics to the fans through these movies I have ZERO hope for episode IX.

At this point i just want this new trilogy to end already so we can see what Weis and Benioff can do with Star Wars. I know i said Star Wars isnt game of thrones but they are the only capable writers Disney has hired so far ans hopefully they do some Old Republic stuff where it can be more gritty to match their style and talent

Darth Smurf likes this.
  20. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    This kind of art people will discuss, they said.
    It's fresh, they said.
    It addresses a new generation of audience, they said.

21. Darth_Bertie

Mar 30, 2014
    Lucas must have wanted to be edgy with the OT as well, cause he killed both Obi-Wan and Yoda, Luke's mentor figures. He did not kill Luke, Han and Leia, because they were the leads.

Maybe this explains why the characters who have died in the ST are Han and Luke, which clearly were not the leads this timd, but the mentor figure.

Maybe there must be some official statement from LFL that states Luke is not the only character in the GFFA, since all the critiques seem to come from this direction.

Jabba the Hud likes this.
  22. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Don't forget Hux

@Darth_Bertie I would also include Leia as a mentor figure. If Carrie hadn't passed on, Leia may have been written to die during an emotional scene at the climax of Episode IX much like Luke and Han were.

Last edited: May 30, 2018
  23. Bunai

Bunai Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 17, 2017
    - Artoo will upgraded to a ball.
    - Threepio ... eh, not a combat droid. And since Rey can translate everything he isn't needed.
    - Chewie, while a navigator can be replaced by Finn / Poe.

Jo Lucas likes this.
  24. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    R2 and Threepio go with Rey. Chewie and the Falcon go back to Kashyyyk.

Darth Smurf likes this.
  25. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Destroying the Falcon would also have more meaning now, post- Solo, especially with Lando making a return...