main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Fates of the Big Three in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Sith-Mullet, Aug 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Luke won't be dead, he just won't be alive.

Nenim Chela likes this.
  2. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    BOM BOM BAAAAAAAM!

Nenim Chela likes this.
  3. Nenim Chela

Nenim Chela Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 2, 2013
    Personally I'd like Luke to play a huge role in the next ones but more and more it's sounding like this won't be the case. Also, I'm sure somewhere down the line we'll get spin-offs for the characters in Episodes 7-9; though it seems far-fetched, perhaps Luke's story between ROTJ and Ep 7 cold be one of these spin-offs. Granted, he doesn't have to be DEAD to begin Ep 7. Ha. I dunno.

But, yeah, in regards to Leia possibly dying at the end of Ep 7, I totally agree with your take. I was also thinking that her death might provide another twist where she'd be the one performing the Jedi mentor death, in some capacity, instead of Luke. I'm not saying that she'd begin the story as a Jedi master--or even as a Jedi (her status as a Jedi could function as a slow reveal). On the contrary, she'd probably begin the story as, first and foremost, an important political figure of some kind then, out of necessity, she would gradually reveal herself to be much more--i.e. a Jedi and a full-blown Skywalker at that. So to speak, her death might serve to open the New Republic's eyes, in some way, including Luke's (if he's still alive) as Ben Kenobi's did way back when.

4. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013

If my crazy theories pan out I think Luke's death would be at the center of the problem in the ST story. We need our new protagonists to be on their own. There should be no shepherd. Not by the end of Episode VII.

We could hear that Luke has been unable to counsel with Force Ghost Anakin, Obi-Wan or Yoda for 15 or 20 years. The Force is waning. The ability to access it in all of its manifestations is greatly diminished. The explanation is illusive.

Of course a crisis occurs and the Jedi are called to action. In a critical moment Luke senses the will of the Force. He sacrifices himself thinking he would be of greater help to his family, friends and students, if he were to become one with the Force. He believes his mentors have passed beyond the Netherworld and it is his turn to take the mantle. Luke is struck down, but his body lies prostrate on the ground. His students were taught to expect that he would become one with the Force, but they quickly realize that something has went horribly wrong. It does not happen. Why? The mystery begins.

I believe Plagueis will be the central villain who supplies the problem in the ST. This would effectively tie Plagueis to Anakin and Luke. But we never see him with either, he only interacts with the new heroes. This means an essentially new villain (for all the non-fans?) and brand new heroes.

His plan is eternal life within the GFFA (not the Netherworld) and the destruction of the Jedi. Plagueis believes that the ability to destroy the Jedi is futile without first separating them from the ability to commune with the Jedi Force Ghost Elders. His mastery of life and death provides the wedge needed to accomplish the task.

The Jedi are alone, isolated and exposed if Plagueis can limit the ability of the Jedi to use the Force, too. Most importantly, the physical abilities. The New Jedi will be forced to use their wits and imagination to survive. When I say this I think of Luke and the Rancor, in which the scene displays Luke's abilities to defeat the monster without an overt use of the Force, but by NATURAL abilities and talents. This would be a nice contrast between the PT Jedi, who had all of the powers we had never seen before, but ultimately failed, and the UNNATURAL abilities of Plagueis and his immortal threat. Not to say there won't be lightsaber duels, but a diminshed ability, as was seen in the OT.

The key to defeating Plagueis is the young Fem Protagonista Jedi-Runt. The late bloomer has all the NATURAL talents (if you know what I mean :p). There are any number of scenarios they might use. A crystal, a dream, strong beliefs and faith or Palpatine as the secret to unlocking the destruction of the immortal threat. How do we drive the demons out? I don't know. Keep speculating and we just might figure it out.

5. Lando Swarm

Lando Swarm Jedi Master star 2

Aug 9, 2013
    'I have always hated that in movies, when you go along and one of the main characters gets killed. This is a fairytale. You want everybody to live happily ever after and nothing bad happens to anybody.'

- George Lucas, The Making Of Return Of The Jedi

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  6. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    32 years ago, circa, April 1981. Story conference for the last Episode of the OT.

Good.

Lucas had no intentions of killing off his three main protagonist in the OT...

...Now? 34 years later (2015)...ST...

1. Luke will not be in the majority of the ST.

2. He will not be the main protagonist.

3. The great thing about the Jedi is that they never die, they return as Force Ghosts and I suspect Luke, although with difficulty, will turn up as one in the end of the ST.

4. The above makes Luke central to the story in life and in death. It is powerful, meaningful and would resonate throughout the rest of the saga. You might cry. I believe Lucas would write this, especially since he told Hamill that if there were ever an ST, he would play a character much like Ben.

Padme
    Anakin
    Obi-Wan
    Yoda

Luke, Leia and Han will not feature as central characters in the ST.

7. WatTamborWoo

WatTamborWoo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 22, 2011
    [​IMG]

Immortiss, Force Smuggler and TKT like this.
  8. Lando Swarm

Aug 9, 2013
    They'll have less screen time, but they are the characters that people will be going to see. I know us TFN posters tend to have an in-depth highly developed view of Star Wars, but to your average person on the street, Luke, Han, Leia, and Chewie are Star Wars. Audiences have had great affection for these characters since 1977. Regardless of which characters get more screen time in the film, what happens to the big 3 will be much more important to general audiences than what happens to the new characters.

Sarge likes this.
  9. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    The problem becomes, what is Luke supposed to do? Like Obi-Wan in Episode IV, Lucas felt that after the Death Star Ben was just hanging around, so he decided to give his character meaning and it deepens the story. It will be difficult to have enough for Han and Leia to do, let alone Luke.

10. WatTamborWoo

Jan 22, 2011
    Good point. There will be the established characters and the new characters. The Big 3 will need enough screen time to make it seem like they are important to the overall plot and the new characters will need screen time for us to get to know them. It will be a challenge to get the balance right.

Vastor and Immortiss like this.
  11. Lando Swarm

Aug 9, 2013
    I know that by conventional storytelling logic, killing one or more of the big three would be a good story hook, but George Lucas has never been constrained by such rules. If Lucas has written the story with the big 3 surviving, I believe Michael Arndt can make it work.

12. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    True there wasn't much for Obi-Wan to do except stand around in the war room during the battle but that wasn't the case for Qui-Gon as he takes an active part in the battle and Luke may as well. And then of course Lucas had to create an entirely new character to replace Obi-Wan in ESB but with this trilogy they could very well have Luke remain the mentor figure throughout instead of replacing him. And then Luke could pass away in IX which would mirror Yoda's death in ROTJ.

Immortiss likes this.
  13. WatTamborWoo

Jan 22, 2011
    I do not think that the Big 3 will all make it to Episode IX. The focus will inevitably move towards the new characters and killing off 1 or more of the Big 3 will have the most dramatic impact in terms of 'moving to the next generation'. IMHO.

Immortiss likes this.
  14. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    I just hope that whatever fates GL laid out for them in his treatments are what they go with. He does mirror things, but he also tends to shy away from what people expect.

I wouldn't kill any of them in VII.

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  15. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    It's Lucas Logic. :p

16. Nenim Chela

Oct 2, 2013
    This kind of reminds about a story about a troubled princess that I've been developing with a friend, although "Once Upon a Time in Wonderland" kind of already took the hook we were going for... :( Anyway, the idea that Luke's Jedi-runt daughter (or a completely Force-less one) is seing Force-ghosts when no one else can might be an interesting concept that could lead to a story. No one believes that she can see these entities save for... I dunno, possibly a love interest who may or may not have her best interests at heart. He'd encourage her to embark on some kind of daring adventure.

StoneRiver and Immortiss like this.
  17. Nenim Chela

Oct 2, 2013
    His plan is eternal life within the GFFA (not the Netherworld) and the destruction of the Jedi. Plagueis believes that the ability to destroy the Jedi is futile without first separating them from the ability to commune with the Jedi Force Ghost Elders. His mastery of life and death provides the wedge needed to accomplish the task.

The Jedi are alone, isolated and exposed if Plagueis can limit the ability of the Jedi to use the Force, too. Most importantly, the physical abilities. The New Jedi will be forced to use their wits and imagination to survive. When I say this I think of Luke and the Rancor, in which the scene displays Luke's abilities to defeat the monster without an overt use of the Force, but by NATURAL abilities and talents. This would be a nice contrast between the PT Jedi, who had all of the powers we had never seen before, but ultimately failed, and the UNNATURAL abilities of Plagueis and his immortal threat. Not to say there won't be lightsaber duels, but a diminshed ability, as was seen in the OT..[/quote]

I wonder what Force-ghosts do when they're not communing with live Jedi. No, seriously. Are they living consciences/consciousnesses (?) that appear when necessary ala Jor-El in "Man of Steel"? Are they angels? What are they exactly? Because, for all intents and purposes they appear to be glowing, ethereal versions of their human selves...

I wouldn't mind seeing a Jason Aaronish* SW story (most likely an EU thing) that takes place in the Netherworld of the SWU. Do the Jedi have further trials to undergo in the next life? Maybe a living character or her spirit somehow winds up in this realm...

*See: "Wolverine Goes to Hell".

Immortiss likes this.
  18. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    If Luke dies at the end of Episode VII, and his body lies prostrate, failing to disappear, I think it would be great if it were Han who reassured those who believed in the Force, but as a result of Luke's death, demonstrated doubt. Han the cynic. The one who believed that 'There's no all powerful Force that controls my destiny' and 'it's a lot of simple tricks and nonsense' step up and tell them 'Don't believe your eyes' or 'I've seen what the Force can do'. 'I know, I've been there'. 'Keep faith'.

It would be a good progression for Han's character.

StoneRiver and Sarge like this.
  19. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I think I'll be leading the crowds with torches and pitchforks to protest that. You can't end the stories of two icons and not give us a chance to say goodbye.

20. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    Fair enough. Don't tar and feather me.

Perhaps Leia becomes a mentor figure for the new Fem Protagonista heroine in Episode VIII. It would be ironic, considering Harrison Ford's request 34 years ago, if Han survived the ST. It would be a final act of defiance on Lucas 's part.

Sarge likes this.
  21. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    I do like the idea of a contagonist in the ST. Instead of a positive guide, like Obi-Wan, who encourages Luke, the Jedi late- bloomer should have one who constantly discourages her and tells her that she can't do/learn the Force all the time. One that tries to coax her off the path of her destiny.

Nenim Chela likes this.
  22. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Next person who double posts instead of using their Edit button is going to win a seat to my free seminar on how to not double post taking place in the Unban Request forum. You have been warned. And warned. You have also been warned.

Immortiss likes this.
  23. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    True. In this scenario it might make sense to save Luke for VIII as someone sought after by the heroine.

Darth Chiznuk and StoneRiver like this.
  24. DarthScubbles

DarthScubbles Jedi Master star 4

Sep 15, 2004
    The real question is, what will the suits at Disney ALLOW to happen to the Big Three? If they see the move making more $ with them, they will be focused on them. If they feel that they can just keep them as peripheral characters and still bring in new audiences while keeping the OT fans (and therefore make more $), they will do that. Its a dollars and sense issue. This is Disney. Its not Lucus' call anymore. I do not care how much "control" they "allow" him to have.

Immortiss likes this.
  25. Vastor

Vastor Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    There is a 99% chance Han Solo will die in VII.
    And 99% chance Leia Solo will die same time with Han in a blaze of glory in the Falcon towards the end.
    Also there is a 75% chance Chewbacca will die in VII--IX if he is alive.
    There is a 5% chance Luke will "die" in VII, 45% chance Luke will "die" in VIII and 95% chance Luke will die in IX.
    There is a 1% chance a Gungan will be seen again ever in a movie.

Nenim Chela likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.