main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Favorite SFF Book Tournament Nominations Thread- help checking for duplicates, please!

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by Rogue...Jedi, Apr 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Welcome to the nomination thread for our favorite Science Fiction/Fantasy Book Tournament!

The field size will be determined by how many nominations there are, so don't feel like you can't post more nominations because of however many there have been previously. The plan is to format the tournament so that all nominations are included, without cutting any out before voting begins.

The guidelines for posting nominations are as follows:

2. No more than four nominations per post, and no back to back posting of nominations. Feel free to nominate more books after someone else has had a turn, though. In other words, you can post four books in one post, let someone else post, and then post four more.

3. Nominations will be strictly by book, regardless of series. Hence, as an example, Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers, and Return of the King would be three separate nominations.

4. When nominating a book, include both title and author, so "Return of the King by J.R.R. Tolkien", not merely "Return of the King"

5. If possible, include a link to some site identifying the book (such as wikipedia or Amazon)

6. Star Wars books may NOT be included in nominations. Any other Science Fiction or Fantasy books, however, are fair game

7. Remember that this is a favorite book tournament, not necessarily greatest or best. The only criteria is how much you like the book, not whether it was successful or anything else. Feel free to nominate any books you enjoyed, even if there are others you enjoy more - thats how the tournament becomes fun.

8. I'm not going to put a definite time limit on nominations, but it will probably be at least two weeks. The end of nominations will be when nominations have slowed down significantly and we have a decent number for a tournament.

Have fun, and start nominating!

Locked since the tournament voting thread has been created

9. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
  10. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
  11. Trika_Kenobi

Trika_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 4, 1999
    The Icarus Hunt, by Timothy Zahn
    The Crystal Shard, by R.A. Salvatore

I'll just have to second a mention for Two Towers and refrain from linking to more Drizzt stuff. :p Zahn and Salvatore are my cup o' tea, obviously.

12. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    I'll add some.

The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch; book one of The Gentleman Bastard's Sequence: It's got action, revenge, fantastic protagonists, amorality and sneaky morality, and a primary protagonist whose strength isn't sword or magic. Definitely one of my favorite SFF books ever written.

The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson; book one of Mistborn: With apologies to books of the Gentleman Bastard's Sequence, this is my favorite ?heist? book in the fantasy genre. Brandon Sanderson's story initially is somewhat like an Oceans 11 or Italian Job set in a post-apocalyptic fantasy world, before turning into an action movie that'd make the Matrix cry with envy, and finishing with a final confrontation to put Star Wars to shame. And it does it without ever feeling like a junk-food book.

Dead Beat by Jim Butcher; book seven of the Dresden Files: Jim Butcher's books are a mix of action, tragedy, humor, and long term character development. Page for page, in my opinion, there is no better entertainment in the SFF genre. Dead Beat is quite possibly the best of them. Butcher packs a lot into each book, and Dead Beat is no exception: he covers zombies, necromancers, polka, magical enforcer wizards, a valkyrie, a fallen angel or two, faeries, ghosts, a couple of vampires, a pack of werewolves, and quite possibly the greatest use of magic in any book, comic, movie, or video game EVER (the raising of Sue).

13. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
  14. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
  15. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
  16. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
  17. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
  18. Sauntaero

Sauntaero Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 9, 2003
  19. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    Oh no! How could I have forgotten Earthsea? I have the covers of the original paperback printing hanging on my wall (since they fell off my copies about 15 years ago from over-reading!). I should revise my first list by removing the Potter book (excellent, but perhaps belonging to a lower echelon in my own personal canon) and replacing it with A Wizard of Earthsea.

Thanks for the reminder, Sauntaero!

20. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Remember, theres no limit to how many books you can nominate in total- just 4 at a time. So feel free to keep nominating more after other people post.

Also, there's no benefit to multiple people nominating the same book - they all go into the same list. ;)

21. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
  22. jadesaber2

jadesaber2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 17, 2000
  23. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
  24. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
  25. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
  26. The_Face

The_Face Ex-Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 22, 2003
    Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson

Everyone already said the other things I would have :p

27. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
  28. The_Face

The_Face Ex-Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 22, 2003
    Well I didn't wanna pick one out of the series specifically, but yeah, sure.

29. DarthVetinari

DarthVetinari Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 20, 2009
  30. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
  31. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
  32. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Chronicles of Narnia would be broken up into its respective books; so you can pick one to nominate there, and nominate more later if you wish. :)

EDIT: and Horse and His Boy has already been nominated :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.