The Feathers - The Four Feathers Discussion

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by RidingMyCarousel, Sep 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master

star 6
    First off, allow me to start by saying if you haven't see The Four Feathers, I highly recommend going to your local theatre and seeing the film. It is a very touching piece of work.

Secondly, this thread will contain spoilers. If you dare, read on. If not, check out the film and come back :)

Now, to kick off the discussion. After seeing the film about 30 minutes ago, I sat back and reflected on the film. At the beggining of the film, when Harry's friends send him the four feathers, you see a scared young man. He is afraid to go off to war in Sudan because he is afraid of death. After finding himself, he decides to venture off and find his fellow comrades, and stick by them no matter what. He holds on to the feathers that were sent to mark him as a coward. Now, when Harry finds each of his friends, he returns the feathers. He holds on to each feather with hope that he'll find each one of his friends and help them out. To me, the feathers that are supposed to disgrace someone gives Harry hope and helps him hold onto his friendship with his friends who are at war.

How do you feel about the feathers? What symbolism do you see in them?

Once again, discuss :)
  2. Iwishiwasajedi Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Exactly as you said, they were menat to make him depressed and feel unworthy, but they gave him strength and hope and the thing they were supposed to show he lost: courage. Great film. What he did was much better then just getting more land for England.
  3. RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master

star 6
    The feathers seemed so trivial to me at first. I thought the name of the film was going to be derrived from something small in the film... since a lot of movies do that. But this film seemed to be straight to the point with the title.

When Abu (I think that was his name.. sp?) and Harry became friends, you could see that there was a bond there. The two were obviously so unalike that it was unimaginable at first that they'd become friends (personally, I thought Harry wasn't going to live after their third encounter). To me, Harry's counterpart seemed to be a ray of hope, also. He was always there to help the man through, even though it may not have seemed that way. But after a while, you could tell from the man's religious thoughts and provoking words were guiding hope through Harry. The ending brought me to tears when Abu and Harry were laughing from different sides of the world... They had such a great friendship going with each other, but in the end they both knew what God's will was for them and they accepted their role in their lives.
  4. RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master

star 6
    Since I'm having a slew of board errors tonite, here's the edit I was going to make to the previous post:

--edit: Whenever I said Abu, forgive me. I must have been having trouble hearing... his name is Djimon Hounsou.

--editing this post: Now I feel really out of it. The actor's name is Djimon, I think.. so maybe I wasn't hearing things during the movie? Can anyone fill me in on the character's name?
  5. EagleIFilms Jedi Knight

star 5
    It's 'Abou'.

And I didn't feel the movie was that great.

It felt too...random. Like not a lot of thought was put into it.
  6. Darth_Iquitous Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I thought it was a good movie.

*runs away*
  7. Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight

star 6
    I intend to go see the movie, even though the rifle drill looks shoddy. A new recruit can do better than those supposed veterns. [face_plain]
  8. Mastadge Manager Emeritus

star 7
    The movie looks pretty crappy, but the battle scene cinematography looks kinda interesting. I'll probably rent it when it comes out on DVD.
  9. RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master

star 6
    I will say that the military renditions weren't the greatest, considering the fact that the actors looked like they had no military training whatsoever. One part that got to me was the long hair of their's -- I don't know of their Empire then allowed them to wear hair that long.

I would comment on the camera shots, but I have no knowledge of the sort.

And I was also informed that there is an "original" film from the 30's (correct me if I'm wrong). I'm going to try and check it out to compare the two.
  10. Mastadge Manager Emeritus

star 7
    There have been several versions of the film:

The classic, 1939 version, but there were also film versions from:

11. RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master

star 6
    Which one would you recommend?
    And what are the major differences between them all..?
  12. Mastadge Manager Emeritus

star 7
    As I said, the one considered the good, "classic" version is the one from 1939. That's the one that's generally recommended.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.