main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Feedback Junkies

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Aeron_Azzameen1839, Mar 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scruffy-looking

Scruffy-looking Jedi Youngling star 3

May 26, 2002
    I should state that I've been blessed by very good fan feedback, but I totally sympathize with people who aren't getting responses.

One suggestion is, if yours is going to be a longer story, to have a steady diet of posts for the first week, 1-2 a day, to build up readers. Of course, if it's only a one post story, there isn't much that can be done. :(

An unavoidable problem is that with all these stories in one forum, it's inevitable that stories are going to get buried way down in page 10+ after a day or so w/o feedback. I've suggested what may be a radical solution: subdividing the Fan Fiction Stories forum into forums based either on time period (PT, OT, post-movies) or primary genre. With smaller forums stories would have a better chance of not being pushed too far. The disadvantage of course is that it does not allow you to find stories as easily; you would have to work harder to see other forums (i.e. a few more mouse clicks! ;))

For readers, splitting up stories is a bit of a mixed bag, but for writers I think it would be very helpful. What do people think?

2. The_Standmaiden

The_Standmaiden Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 28, 2002
    Sounds good to me, and we could still have the "Story of the Week" (or Month . . . I forget) to introduce readers to new genres and authors.

But . . . what genres would you split the forum into?

3. Scruffy-looking

May 26, 2002
    If you did it by genre, you could use categories like romance, angst, action, mystery, humor/parody, crossover, things like that.

Having said that, others have raised the objection that many stories have multiple elements in them. Therefore, I think it would be better to divide them by time period--pre PT, PT, intertrilogy, OT, post-OT, NJO, post-NJO. It would make stories easier to find! :)

4. The_Standmaiden

Jul 28, 2002
    Yeah, I was thinking that I don't know what genre my fic is or what time period of those it fits into? :confused:

5. sabrelight

sabrelight Jedi Master star 4

Dec 21, 2000
    Scruffy I like your idea about dividing the boards into major genres. I'm for the time period format. From my observations most of the readers tend to stick to one particular genre.

For the moment we could divide into just or three forums-PT-OT-NJO

Why don't you suggest it on the WRF you have my support.

6. Ganki

Ganki Jedi Master star 3

Jan 27, 2002
    Looks like I am back to where I started all of a sudden. Ok let me explane I posted my first fic here and it didn't do to good I tried again and it went hardly better by it did get better. Then my third fic went great around 15 reviews or more a post I was bathing in happiness.

I finished and posted anouther one great reviwes on my first post and do I mean great the next post went pretty good all awaiting with enthusiasm for the next post and it came but the replies haven't. One then twp replies after the time perriod of 2 to 3 weeks still only two. I will post again soon but if the same thing happens I will wait and see if it was just one not to good post.

*looks around* I just blabed my problem and LOL fixed. thanks for reading this out just need to get it all out before I go and finish the next post. Oh and I welcome any newbies to this bord ^_^ Again thanks for reading my complaining.

7. zeekveerko

zeekveerko Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    i like your idea, scruffy-lookin. i agree that they would be better sorted by time period than genre, for the reasons stated above, but you would have to include a misc. time period for stories that take place outside of SW canon.

PT - INTER - CT - EU - NJO - MISC

....or something like that....

8. The_Standmaiden

Jul 28, 2002
    I don't want to sound stupid, but what's CT?

And I have an NR-era fic that happens pre-NJO, where would that go? :confused:

9. zeekveerko

Apr 30, 2002
    I guess it would go between EU and NJO or in the MISC section.

CT is classic trilogy. also called OT.

10. The_Standmaiden

Jul 28, 2002
    CT is classic trilogy. also called OT.

Oh, silly me! That does make sense! Now I feel dumb. :( Oh well.

11. zeekveerko

Apr 30, 2002
    I think this would be beneficial to writers and readers, because stories of less-popular timelines would remain visible in their respective categories for a longer time, and therefore more easily accessible.

12. The_Standmaiden

Jul 28, 2002
    Yeah, I noticed that nearly everything that's not J/J or a PT fic falls pretty fast . . .

13. Amyrlin

Amyrlin Jedi Master star 1

Aug 25, 2002
    Here's my story It's called Origins http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=8604420&replies=9

14. mistryljediskywalker

mistryljediskywalker Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 26, 2002
    oh yeah, they fall extremely fast. My story less than an hour later will be down to the second page. Having different sections for Genres would be a good idea. But I'm wondering what my stories my stories would fit in. I have a series going from preTPM to post NJO

15. Scruffy-looking

May 26, 2002
    EDIT: Forget about my original suggestion about subdivided forums, we now have something just as good: Sticky Threads, where authors can post summaries of their stories. If you use them, I think it will help attract new readers, several authors have noted that this has been the case. (I think it's worked for me! :))

16. Trixter_Goddess

Trixter_Goddess Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 27, 2002
    Okay, I posted my first fan fic on here a few weeks ago. I have readers, but not as mny as I would like. :( I'm about to put up the second post, once my beta reads it.

I always appreciate feedback. It's called Twisted Destiny. :)

17. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002
    While I would certainly like to get more readers to post for my story (hint, hint, link after signature!), I don't think subdividing the Stories forum is the answer; I think it would actually hurt readership overall.

For instance, I'm not a great fan of Pre-TPM stories or even post ROTJ stories and I have reservations about a lot of the mushy A/A stuff that I see. Therefore, if there was an OT board, I'd probably end up confining myself there, and I'd likely miss out on a lot of cool stories I have seen simply because I can't miss them when I go through the current board. While it sucks to find my story on page 9 about ten minutes after I posted, or to see no one reading it for 3 days, I'd rather hope that I could pique the interest and pick up some non-OT readers who happen to find my story (rarely) on page 1 or 2.

18. zeekveerko

Apr 30, 2002
    I've been working on a story since July. Out of 19 story posts I've had 7 readers. The story spans 2 pages. I've seen stories with just as many story posts span 5-6 pages on these forums. Maybe it's my title, or my subject matter. I don't know.

Anyway, someone please read my story, Star Wars II. It would be greatly appreciated, to the extent that I would return the favor.

EDIT: I changed the title to They Became Heroes: From the Adventures of Luke Skywalker

please let me know what you think

19. Sebulba2179

Sebulba2179 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 5, 2002
    I was hoping I'd never have to post in this thread again, but the time has clearly come...as my latest TNE story is currently averaging one reply per post... [face_plain]

And you guys know me by now. Since the second story, I haven't groused much about getting little to no feedback.

Anybody else spell "discouragement"?

20. zeekveerko

Apr 30, 2002
    wow, one reply per post! You're doing better than I, Sebulba....

If I were you I'd say that's that, Mattress Man.

21. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    Well, I've had 4 comments so far and none of them come back. Feeling very down and unmotivated at the moment. :(

The New Invasion

Regular readers needed, especially fans of EU and NJO characters, as well as the Yuuzhan Vong.

22. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    Don't you people ever come back here anymore?

23. Sebulba2179

Sebulba2179 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 5, 2002
    People.

People.

PEOPLE.

I really didn't want to abandon "A Powerful Ally." It's going in an extremely promising direction at full speed, and I would go so far as to say it's my crown jewel.

But no less than four readers have suddenly decided to up and quit replying. The head of steam I've been building is losing pressure fast.

I really hate wasting time.

24. Daughter_Of_TheForce

Daughter_Of_TheForce Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 1, 2001
    Anybody in here has an adventure fic that's getting buried? A pre-TPM one, without the "Obi & some girl " tags? I'd give my eyeteeth for one right now. :(

25. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Well, the fact that the "feedback junkies" thread has come out of hiding makes me feel better.... also, the plethura of NJO stories that had me worried... I mean.. does anyboy write PT/OT anymore?

Was wondering where all the Ani/Padme' semi agnst readers have gone? Finals? Home for the holidays? Or *sighs sadly* did I scare them (at least my readership) off with the disccusion in the fan fiction standards thread?

"Deceptions" is almost finished and the reposted "Rocker Chair" with the now infamous nookie chapter are both linked in my sig... From what I understand, they're not too awful!
    :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.