main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The FF-UK Fantasy Football League

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by orn-free-tada, Aug 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    halibut = Mark Scales - halibut summat

2. Enji

Enji Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 14, 2002
    I'm Nina the Great, manager for Rogues play football. :D

3. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    SithLordDarthRichie - SithLordsUnited - Richie da Dude

Got a Fantasy Champion's league team with the same name and kit to :p

4. Cheeky-Beak

Cheeky-Beak Jedi Grand Master star 1

Mar 29, 2003
    Cheeky-Beak - Mark Allen - Surreal Madrid

5. TK_Four_Two_One

TK_Four_Two_One Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2002
    Anakin WILL accidentally kill Padme.

Sorry- wrong thread.

6. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
  7. TK_Four_Two_One

TK_Four_Two_One Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2002
    WELLL EXCUUUUSSSSE MEEE, darling, but whats typical about it?

8. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
    Lost it.

Cobranaconda-Cobranaconda's-Glen Michie

No idea which way round of course.

9. Enji

Enji Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 14, 2002
    I just made some changes on my team... we'll see if it's for good or for worse. ;)

10. Welshguy

Welshguy Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2002
    46 points with still a few of my players to play! Thats what i'm talking about people.

11 points ahead of my closest rival today. Still got to see what a few of my boys do tomorrow, but i'm quietly confident you'll see my rocketing up the league now.

Up to 10th, things going well :)

Should keep the Board off my back for a while anyway.

11. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I had the 2nd highest scoring team.
    I'm only 2 points off 12th place :D

12. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    1 AFC Endor - a t 381
    2 Bristol City FC - Nidge B 374
    3 Everton_II - Chris Berry 318
    4 Bollywood Heaven - Mario D 318
    5 Loon FC - ross mcdonald 315
    6 Jedi United - Greg Conroy 306
    7 halibut FC - Mark Scales 304
    8 revenge of the socks - Dean Madden 288
    9 Team Stoozer - Stuart Wilkinson 284
    10 Rogues play football - Nina the Great 269
    11 NHR 57 - Henrik Rydell 258
    12 Welshguy Rovers - Wayne Mullins 258
    13 Silverdale Bad Boys - Gareth Conroy 256
    14 7Dwarfs & 4SithLords - Jamie Derbyshire 253
    15 SithLordsUnited - Richie da dude 246
    16 Surreal Madrid - Mark Allen 238
    17 ATAT'S Troops - David Derflinger 193
    18 Cobranaconda's - Glen Michie 180
    19 Birmingham XI - tom jenkins 162

I think it's good that both Everton, and Everton_II are in 3rd. :cool: :D

13. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I can't believe the small amount of points I achieved this week

14. orn-free-tada

orn-free-tada Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 11, 2001
    i cant beleive the small amount ofpoints i have gained in the last 2 gameweeks!

last week 27 points
    this week 33

15. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Considering I have most of the top players, I would think 29 points is quite low.

16. Welshguy

Welshguy Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2002
    I had the best score last week and the worst score this week.

Its a funny old game.

17. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    [Mr Spock] Its life Jim [/Mr Spock]

18. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Rooooooney!

[face_dancing] [face_dancing] [face_dancing] [face_dancing]

Hes definately a buy for my team now :p

19. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Oh yes, 3 goals against the equivalent of a league 2 side. A definite buy [face_plain]

20. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Oh yes, 3 goals against the equivalent of a league 2 side. A definite buy [face_plain]

:rolleyes: Honestly, are you serious? Fenerbahce are nowhere near the equivalent of a League Two side. They're a neat and tidy, technically very good Eurpoean side who would put maybe 75% of the Premiership to the sword. Plus, they're in the Champion's League. Rooney hadn't played for three months, was playing for a new team in a new environment with immense pressure on him from every side. His goals were all wonderful strikes... one with the left foot, one with the right foot and a sublime Beckham-esque free kick. His movement and positioning were second to none. Okay so he tired late on, but that fitness will come with time. If Shevchenko or Ronaldo or (probably) Reyes had done that I expect you'd be drooling.

Just what does he have to do to convince some people? Rooney will play like that (and possibly even better.. not in terms of goals but dictating the play) against every side he comes up against this season...

England now has the best young player in the world by a quite a considerable margin, why can't people come to terms with, and enjoy that fact?

Finally, I bought Rooney at the start of the season, and now he's gonna start scoring points for me. :cool:

21. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Plus Rooney played well and scored goals against top class teams in Euro 2004.
    And those teams would put most league sides to shame.

22. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Yes, Rooney is a good player, and yes it was a fantastic debut.

BUT, I will argue with you about the quality of the opposition. So they made the Champion's League? This is a Turkish team though. It's like saying that Rangers are worthy opponents cos they made it last year (Ok, probably treading on a few toes there, but you get my drift. Entering the Champion's League is no way to compare a team from one country with another). There are few GOOD leagues in Europe. England, Italy, Spain are the top, with France and Germany next. Teams from other countries don't really stand a chance against the best from those others.

I'm glad Rooney did well, and I'm glad that Man U won, cos even though I'm a die hard Chelsea fan, I support all British teams in Europe, the same way I support all British teams in the World Cup and European Championships.

I don't think, however, that last night's game is a good way to judge Rooney. Let's wait til he plays in the Premiership. True, he may excel there too, but I shall withhold my judgement til then :)

EDIT: SLDR, Goals against Switzerland and Croatia?? Hardly world class opposition

And if last night's opposition were to be feared, why did Fergie rest Keane and Ronaldo? They were a second-rate team at best.

We'll see what happens in the Premiership, or against decent European opponents. He may well do fantastically. He is a superb player. I just hope his team can back him up. They've not done that well so far this season!

23. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Even though he's left Everton, I can't help but feel so vindicated when every time Rooney is put to the test he surpasses expectations. I've been banging on about him for what seems like forever now. I can remember being at Goodison for his professional debut two years ago and it was like the whole ground was in on a secret that the whole world would soon discover. It was great.

EDIT: This is not a response to halibut's post just there^^^.

EDIT AGAIN: This is:

Yes, Rooney is a good player, and yes it was a fantastic debut.

BUT, I will argue with you about the quality of the opposition....

Okay I didn't mean to imply all teams who get to the group stage of the Chamion's League are worhty opposition. But come one, Fenerbahce are considered a reasonably good side. Turkey's top sides are not bad. Turkey's national side is considered one of the best, if not the most consistent international sides in Europe.

I'm glad Rooney did well,

Good. :D

Let's wait til he plays in the Premiership. True, he may excel there too, but I shall withhold my judgement til then

Okay fine. But just you wait... ;)

EDIT: SLDR, Goals against Switzerland and Croatia?? Hardly world class opposition

1) They were all excellent goals (independent of the opposition).

2) He literally ran those two games. England would not have won if he hadn't been playing. Everything that was good about England stemmed from Rooney's activities.

3) It takes a world class player to dominate two tournament international fixtures like that against all but the worst sides.

4) You can only beat what you're put up against.

5) Also... he bullied and dominated France's midfield and defense for 80 minutes too... something nobody had come even close to doing for years. Thuram and Zidane were made to look poor.

And if last night's opposition were to be feared, why did Fergie rest Keane and Ronaldo? They were a second-rate team at best.

They weren't to be feared, no.

I just hope his team can back him up.

They will. That's a large part of the reason he underperformed for Everton last season. Everton (and it hurts to say this) were not good enough to accommodate him.

24. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    I don't deny, he's an AMAZING player, and leaving Everton was the best thing he could do, because unfortunately there he didn't have the players to back up his skill. This was proven in Euro 2004.

However, he still hasn't stood the REAL test yet. Let's see him against some decent teams. (Yes, he scored a great goal against Arsenal 2 years ago, but let's be honest, that was a fluke result). His temprament is great, and his ability under pressure is in no doubt after last night.

I'm just not sure that Man U is the best place for him at the moment. They need severe changes to mount a serious threat for any major competition. just MHO of course

25. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    However, he still hasn't stood the REAL test yet.

I would say he has.

Let's see him against some decent teams.

He's played two seasons against the Premiership. In his first season nobody knew what to expect, and so he was able to dominate teams at will. He struggled in his second season to produce tangible rewards yes... but I have seen him play nearly twenty-five times over the last two years and he's been the best player on the pitch in nearly all those games.

(Yes, he scored a great goal against Arsenal 2 years ago, but let's be honest, that was a fluke result).

As an Everton fan, I have a duty to be appalled by that statement. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.