main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The FFC Restaurant & Bar at the Galaxy far far away

Discussion in 'FanForce Community' started by MacCaffrey, Oct 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Photo-Knight

Photo-Knight Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 9, 2007
    Speaking of soccer...well, I wasn't, but Jada was...

I have a collection of pictures on Flicker here. I have both Star Wars and soccer pictures. Oddly enough, my most-viewed picture is of a soccer ball (with a team blurred in the background). The soccer ball photo has more views than any of my Star Wars pictures, including the Slave Leia pictures which are in second place.

I used to coach my two boys, but now that they are teenagers and much better soccer players than I ever was, I leave the coaching to the professionals.

Photo-Knight

2. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    Wow! You have excellent photos! What kind of camera are you using? Is it digital or film? Very impressive. :)

3. B4-U8

B4-U8 Jedi Youngling

Oct 29, 2005
    It's really bad when you bring out a sock that you haven't logged into in over a year and find a PM.

Then you look at the sig and have no idea why you put those things in there. 8-}

4. Photo-Knight

Sep 9, 2007
    Thanks! It's digital, a Nikon D200. On one hand it's awfully expensive for just a hobby. On the other hand, one of my pictures got published in the Star Wars Celebration Europe Official Program Guide, and several have made it into Bantha Tracks Online and Star Wars Insider Magazine, so it seems to be worth it. On the third hand, --no, wait, I'm human, no third hand [face_talk_hand]

Photo-Knight

5. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    [face_laugh]

I'll have to direct my hubbie to your photos. He wants to upgrade to a better camera because he is an amateur photographer and enters contests. Well, one contest so far but I encourage him.

Congrats on getting your stuff published. You should send in some of your soccer photos and see if you can cash in on them. ;) [face_money_eyes]

6. Cinnamon_Windu

Cinnamon_Windu Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 10, 2005
    Welcome, Photo_Knight. I enjoyed your pictures. :)

7. TuskenFan

TuskenFan Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 5, 2005
    Those are some pretty awesome photos. I've been interested in photography for a couple of years now and I just recently entered my first photo contest. A local newspaper was sponsoring it. Right now I am using a Fuji FinePix A340. It's a 4 megapixel point and shoot but It get's the job done. I used it to take the photo I entered in the contest. Here...

[image=http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y165/TK-2970/Biltmore/4e82a49c.jpg]

Anyway. I am wanting to upgrade to the Fuji FinePix S9000. It's a 9 megapixel almost SLR. It has most of the features you would find on an SLR and it even has an auto focus and manual focus option. But the lens is not removable. It does have lens attachments that you can buy for a fish eye effect or panoramic effect. It even has a hot shoe so you can use a different flash, maybe something with a diffuser. It normally runs around $600 or so but the price has come down and I have found it for as low as about $350. I usually get money from my dad for Christmas and my birthday, it's in February, so I think I will save that money and buy me a new camera.

8. Photo-Knight

Sep 9, 2007
    Just remember that cameras don't take pictures, people take pictures. An upgraded camera can't hurt, but your eye, your style, and your interest will affect how interesting your pictures come out more than what brand or model of camera you get. And based on that wonderful flower shot, it looks like you'll do great.

In the last contest I entered, I used a picture of a Princess Leia from the Celebration IV costume contest. I made the final round but didn't win anything. It's still fun to enter.

Interesting place, this Restaurant & Bar at the Galaxy far far away. I'm glad I found it.

Photo-Knight

9. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    I agree - people take the picture. I recently took this one with his camera:

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v139/SithJada/0709230040.jpg]

I'd like to crop the sunlight out of it but it would make the picture disproportional.

My biggest pet peeve when taking photos is that all my closeups get too blurry. [face_frustrated]

10. Cinnamon_Windu

Cinnamon_Windu Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 10, 2005
    Yes, the sunlight balances the paws.

Sorry I can't help you with the closeups. [:D]

11. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    I always get too close to the subject and then it ends up blurry. [face_frustrated]

Then again, one of the best pics of me and of my daughter [two separate pics] was taken by a $20 piece of junk. [face_laugh]

12. TuskenFan

TuskenFan Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 5, 2005
    I realized this shortly after I got into photography. The main reason I want to upgrade is I want a camera that will give me the choice of manual or auto focus. I want the manual focus so I can have more control on my close up and action shots. I got lucky with that flower picture, I actually took that picture 6 times before I got it the way I wanted it. I also want to be able to use a different flash. Something with a diffuser so I don't get so much flash back when I take a shot thru glass or with something shiny in the background. But thanks for the advice. [face_peace]

13. Photo-Knight

Sep 9, 2007
    Pet peeve! I get it!

Just kidding,

Photo Knight

14. MacCaffrey

MacCaffrey VIP star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 2000
    Just came back from apnoe-trainng... Tired and exhausted I am now... I-)

15. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    And I just got home at that^ time from work. But then again, I've off today. [face_dancing]

Guess it's some time for shopping... food shopping, because it's a national holiday tomorrow. ;)

16. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    apnoe training? Enlighten me. :)

This weekend was the Charlotte Shout Festival - a gathering of top Charlotte Chefs and some celebrity chefs. We helped out our local 501st because they were appearing on stage and helping to serve plates for Bank of America's Executive Chef and Johnson&Wales Professor Chris Ivens-Brown. Also on stage at the beginning were the Top Cats - cheerleaders for the Carolina Panthers.

Video Slide Show

During Chef Chris's presentation he had stormtroopers pass out samples, had Darth Vader stir the sauce, and generally geeked out because he had a bunch of Star Wars characters.

At the end AND THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING, Chef Chris presented the 501st with a check for $2,500 to Make-A-Wish in memory of Katie Johnson. Katie is the daughter of 501st founder Albin Johnson. She passed away two years ago from a brain tumor.

Oh, and that little Jawa . . . she belongs to me :D

17. Photo-Knight

Sep 9, 2007
    Those were great pictures! I had never seen the Miniskirt Leias (Go-Go Leias? What are they officially called?)

The Make-A-Wish donation was very cool. Congratulations and well done to the Charlotte 501st. =D=

So how was the food?

Photo-Knight

18. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    We smuggled a molten lava cake away from Alton Brown [face_laugh]

The food was good except for the veal meatballs. My hubbie said it was like tasting the bottom of an ashtray. [face_sick]

I had a really good gumbo. :D

As for the Go-Go Leias, they are the Carolina Panthers's Cheerleaders -- The Top Cats. They were doing numbers for a bunch of the chefs but I think their number for Chef Chris was the best. :D

19. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Jada, Flo was speaking about diving training and it seems they mostly trained to stay under water as long as possible (which is called apnoe training). Right, Flo? :)

Nice pics! :D
    It's nice to see that there are SW events going on and there's no real pause between the Celebrations. :D

20. MacCaffrey

Oct 25, 2000
    Sorry, I wrote it wrong. Do you know apnea, Jada?
    But what Sabine explained is right. It was mostly diving training without compressed air, just the air in your lungs.
    Staying underwater with time limits, diving a specific distance.

21. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    I thought it had something to do with water. But to be honest I thought you'd just spelled canoe wrong. 8-}

22. MacCaffrey

Oct 25, 2000
    Nope ;)
    It was just without air in more or less Latin. ;)

23. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    We are about to leave to go meet Peter Mayhew! :D

24. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Nice guy! Where are you going to meet him? :)

25. MacCaffrey

Oct 25, 2000
    Great! :)
    Greet him from the FF! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.