main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends The Fields of Tesserone (AU,OC)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Vehn, May 25, 2014.

1. Vehn

Vehn Force Ghost star 4

Sep 14, 2009
    :cool:

jcgoble3 likes this.
  2. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    You know, it just dawned on me that this line suddenly makes it clear why this fic is named what it is. You had this all planned out from the very beginning of the thread, didn't you? :D

Trieste likes this.
  3. Vehn

Vehn Force Ghost star 4

Sep 14, 2009
    Maybe a bit :p

jcgoble3 likes this.
  4. Vehn

Vehn Force Ghost star 4

Sep 14, 2009
    Jackson Heights

Mon Gazza

“Fix vibroblades!”

Kurt Staalsen ignored the ankle deep water around him as he reached down toward his belt and hooked a vibroblade onto the end of his blaster rifle. He’d been in the trenches of Mon Gazza for weeks now with the Federation armies and had been pressed into service when the recruiting pools had run dry on Roon. He was part of the new wave of soldiers, the ones who hadn’t volunteered for military service when the war broke out, the ones who’d still been in high school and plucked away from their families as soon as they became eligible for the draft.

Kurt knew that being sent to Mon Gazza was a death sentence. Hardly anyone left the miserable planet after having first set foot on its muddy soil. So he’d said his tearful goodbyes to his mother. She’d nearly refused to let him go, had fought off the guards who’d pried her son away from her but their strength had overpowered her will to see her son live, to prevent from sending him to a certain death. The uncomfortable journey to the front had required quite a few micro-jumps to avoid being torpedoed by enemy corvettes and they’d landed at night in the soppy soil that ran red with the blood of the fallen.

“You stay with me, boy,” one of the veterans growled as the men stood shoulder to shoulder in the trenches. “When we leave this hellish ground, you run with the rest of them, you hear me? You run right up that hill and you pour some fire into the faces of those Coalition scum. No matter what happens, don’t look back, just run.”

Kurt looked over at his commanding officer, a few feet away, muddy whistle pressed into his lips. The officer’s face was ashen. He was scared as well. That was never a good sign. Kurt closed his eyes and said a quiet prayer to the Maker. It was a prayer asking for a quick death if that was to be how the fates played with his life. It was a prayer to sooth his mother’s pain. It was a prayer for his very soul.

The whistle blew, men roared, the wild, mad, scramble over the top. Stifling smoke choked the battlefield as the first elements of the newly created 29th regiment of the 2nd Roon Division launched themselves up that slippery slope of death toward the heights. Huffing, puffing, Kurt clawed his way forward, ignoring the fear, ignoring the brilliant flashes of laserfire, the sickening sound of flesh being pulverized. The veteran, his friend, stumbled in front of him and Kurt leaned forward, a stray bolt zipping past where his head had been, to stabilize the man.

“Come on!” Kurt yelled as the pair trudged forward.

The low sandbag wall of the Coalition trenches could be clearly seen now as men seemed to materialize out of the battlefield haze, rifles raised to deal their killing blow. Kurt felt the press of bodies all around him as the Federation soldiers stumbled up the rocky hill, tired, disorganized, confused.

“Maker, it’s the bloody 5th!” The veteran exclaimed identifying the Coalition soldiers by the flag that flicked and fluttered in the wind behind the front trench.

Kurt felt the color drain from his face as he realized that the unit in front of him was the famed Fifth Druckenwell Division that had earned battle honors for the old RTO on Lannik, Leritor, and in the subsequent naval actions against the rogue tribune Alexander Speyburn. He knew he was a dead man. He knew there was no surviving this assault.

“Charge!” his commanding officer yelled.

Goodbye, Mother Kurt thought as he and hundreds like him broke out into a flat charge against that low sandbag wall, against the Fifth.

Blistering blaster bolts rose up to meet him zipping high, burning low, screaming left and roaring right. All around him, as he worked his legs hard, blaster rifle clutched tightly in his hands as countless men fell trying to reach the Coalition trenches. Kurt and a few others put up some resistance but the withering firepower from the Coalition trench was overpowering. The ranks in front of Kurt swelled and rolled against the sandbag barrier as Federation soldiers tried to breach the trench but failed each and every time losing countless numbers of men. Somewhere in the maelstrom, the commanding office went down.

“Pull back! Pull back!” The veteran yelled.

Kurt dropped his rifle and ran down the hill and as he did so he thought he heard cheering above the cries of the wounded and the moans of the dying.

Cheering from the men of the Fifth.

Cheering the bravery of the 29th Regiment of the Second Roon Division.

Cheering.

High Command, Orbital Shipyard, Roon

General Stanley Oakes and Admiral Horatio Quorro, military leaders of the armed forces of the Roon Federation, stood before a holographic map of the eastern Outer Rim. They examined the static front lines of a war that seemed to be absolutely bogged down in death and destruction. The siege of Mon Gaaza still had not been successfully carried out. Fierce fighting had resumed on Herdessa and Radnar was in absolute flames. The Corellian Run, once filled with ships carrying goods, was a graveyard of derelict vessels and frozen bodies. The border with the Republic was shut down and the Hutts were stepping up their patrols to prevent any refugees from entering their space. In short, nothing was going right.

“We need to strike a killing blow to end this war,” General Oakes said.

“For once I agree with you,” Admiral Quorro responded.

The two men were bitter rivals. Maybe that explained the way the Federation army was squandering lives on Mon Gazza or maybe that explained the way the Federation navy could barely keep the supply lines protected from Coalition raids. Either way the horrific death tolls were bringing both men around to the table of cooperation. For once, in this moment, both men were in union. The war had to end. The only question was how to bring that about.

“Nice to see you two gentlemen working together for a change,” Eleanor said as she entered the war room flanked by Federation soldiers.

“Madam President,” both men said in unison.

“We were just discussing how to end this war,” Oakes said.

“Were you now? Tell me,” Eleanor replied.

Oakes walked over to the holographic map and zoomed in on a sector of space that had very little military activity. A pink line snaked its way through systems, nebulas, and star clusters until it ended up at Druckenwell.

“I’m not familiar with this route,” Eleanor said.

“The Varyndor Way,” Admiral Quorro said, “it was opened during our fight against the Hutts in ’67 to provide a backdoor into Hutt space. At that point in time our staging base was Druckenwell and the RTO needed a way to neutralize the Hutt threat without going through traditional invasion points. I am proposing that we launch an offensive against Druckenwell and knock them out of the war for good.”

“The Varyndor Way incredibly unstable,” General Oakes said, “but I am in agreement with Admiral Quorro. If we do not strike now we will never have the opportunity again. My men on the front are run ragged, Madam President and if we do not have a victory soon I am afraid the men under my command are going to stop fighting all together.”

“Do we have any veteran divisions to commit to this assault on II Avali?” Eleanor said referring to the capital of Druckenwell.

“I can leave the reservists to hold the front line while our forces make the surprise attack on the Coalition capital,” Oakes responded.

“I will say,” Quorro interjected, “that this attack leaves Roon wide open for an invasion. Our intelligence suggests that Coalition forces are close to the breaking point. Both sides have been killing each other slowly since the war began over a year ago. Fortunately we have one advantage that the Coalition does not have.”

“What’s that?” Eleanor asked.

“New military hardware from the worlds of the Republic. It seems your trust in William Ypres was well founded. We’ve had a delivery of fifteen ships of the line from Rydonni Prime,” Quorro responded.

“My men have received the latest armor and weapons from Bakura as well. The Triestes have not completely abandoned us,” Oakes added. “Now is the time, my lady, to strike hard against Liam Vehn and end this war though I would feel better if we could ask the Hutts for any assistance. They helped us out once before.”

Eleanor shook her head, “Diija and the Hutt council are staying out of this war. They will not assist us. The Jedi will not assist us. My brother Austin has returned from Ossus with very little in the way of help from them. No, gentlemen, we are on our own.
    How soon can we attack?”

General Oakes and Admiral Quorro looked at one another and replied in unison, “Within the week, Madam President. We’ve been building our forces for this moment for months.”

Eleanor studied the map, the harsh lines of the front, the horrific death tolls adding up before her eyes, and nodded her head. “End this war, gentlemen, and there will be celebrations throughout the galaxy.”

“As you wish, Madam President.”

Tag:Trieste;jcgoble3;Bardan_Jusik;Tim Battershell

5. Trieste

Trieste Chosen One star 6

Apr 10, 2010
    If I don't miss my guess, Mon Gazza is the Battle of Fredricksberg of this war. If that's the case, this attack on Druckenwell might not go to plan. There could be a lot of war left to fight...

6. Vehn

Vehn Force Ghost star 4

Sep 14, 2009
    OOC: This post hits all the old spots in all the right ways. Enjoy.

Ossus

Jedi Temple

Jedi Master Tel Adain and a handful of Jedi Knights waited patiently while the Federation shuttle landed on the main pad just outside of the Jedi Temple. He knew this arrival was coming. He knew that this young man would reach out to his order to help put an end to a conflict that should never have started in the first place.

“Welcome to Ossus,” Jedi Master Adain said with a slight bow of his head.

“Thanks, I guess,” Austin replied.

“You are the second Vehn I have seen in as many months,” Master Adain pointed out as the pair walked toward the Temple.

“We are becoming more involved with the galaxy, whether I want us to or not,” Austin commented.

“Do you fear involvement?” Adain asked.

“I fear that my sister has forced my family into a war without end. I fear that my home may burn before the end. I fear a great many things, Master Jedi,” Austin replied.

Adain thoughtfully nodded and said, “Let it go, Austin, let your resentment go. You’ve been at war with the galaxy for quite some time. I see the conflict has changed you but I see that you have the potential to be great as well.”

“I didn’t come all this way to talk philosophy, Master Jedi, I came because I need to assemble a team,” Austin said redirecting the conversation.

Adain laughed and shook his head, “Such a rush, young man. Only fools rush into things.”

“Are you going to help my family or not?” Austin asked stopping in his tracks.

Jedi Master Tel Adain looked Austin in the eye and replied, “I have every intention of helping your family, Austin. That help may not come in a form that you recognize just yet. Tell me why you’ve come here.”

“I don’t have time to-” Austin replied growing frustrated.

“You have all the time in the galaxy,” Jedi Master Tel Adain said as he drew Austin into a side room off the main lobby.

The room was dark save for a brilliantly lit holographic map of the galaxy. The Republic was outlined in brilliant blue borders. The Roon Federation, so tiny, so small in comparison, was outlined in orange, and the Druckenwellian Coalition was outlined in red. Stars twinkled in and around themselves as the galactic map slowly rotated.

“Go ahead, young man,” Master Adain said, “tell me your mission.”

“I need to assemble a team to kill my uncle, Liam Vehn,” Austin said.

“And you think the Jedi will help you?” Adain asked.

“My sister said you would. I need your help to end this war. We can’t win without you,” Austin said.

Adain smiled and said, “Go on.”

“I know we can win this war,” Austin said, “I know we can. I’ve seen it in my sleep when I close my eyes at night. I can hear the victory fireworks, people celebrating, peace, long lasting peace.”

Adain perked up when he heard this. He looked over at Austin and said, “Tell me, young man, what else do you see?”

“Bits and pieces, really, nothing much,” Austin replied. “Why?”

“Are you so sure you were dreaming when you saw those victory celebrations?” Adain inquired.

“I thought I was, I mean, I think I was,” Austin replied. “Sometimes I’m not sure. Everything comes so fast to me, disjointed, like a puzzle still coming together.”

“How long have you had these visions?” Adain asked.

“All my life, really,” Austin replied.

“I have something that might mean a great deal to you,” Adain said as he went over to a locked box. A slight wave of the hand unlocked the box and the Jedi Master quickly grabbed what he was looking for and returned the lock into place. Adain walked over to Austin and held out his hand.

“Do you recognize this device?” Jedi Master Tel Adain said.

“A lightsaber,” Austin replied.

“Not just any lightsaber. This lightsaber belonged to your grandfather, Joaquin Vehn, long ago. How much do you know of your family’s history, young Vehn?” Adain said.

“I know enough to realize that this is ridiculous. My grandfather wasn’t a Jedi. He never even set foot in a Jedi Temple. He spent his youth studying economics on Druckenwell,” Austin said.

“That’s the story that your mother told you to protect you from the truth,” Jedi Master Tel Adain said. “Your grandfather was a promising young Jedi here on Ossus about 70 years ago if I remember correctly. In fact, his mother, Erisi Wessiri, brought him here when he was just a boy, to be trained, like so many others. She was a remarkable woman. In fact, in so many ways, your sister reminds me of her.”

“Erisi Wessiri? What are you talking about?” Austin asked, confused.

“You really don’t know much about your family history, do you boy?” Master Adain asked.

Austin shook his head.

“I suppose, like any story, I should start at the beginning…” the Jedi Master said as he launched into a history of the Vehn family and how they had once worked closely with the Jedi of Ossus to ensure peace and stability in the galaxy.

“So let me get this straight,” Austin said when the story finished, “an ancestor of mine, Derek Vehn, who ran a shipping company over 100 years ago routinely came to Ossus to supply the Jedi? And then Erisi Wessiri, who was born on Naboo and was the daughter of the ruler of Black Sun, worked closely with Jedi Master T’Allah Deval and Jedi Master Lexine Wydra before she married Derek’s son Emon and had my grandfather, Joaquin?”

“Precisely,” Master Tel Adain replied.

“Then you go and tell me that the Vehn and Trieste families have been inexplicably intertwined for centuries and somehow now that I’m the genetic hybrid of both families I have certain abilities that I may not be aware of?” Austin continued.

“Now you’re getting it,” Adain said

“And last but not least my grandfather was a Jedi, just like that,” Austin added snapping his fingers for emphasis.

“Well,” Jedi Master Tel Adain replied, “not so quickly but in time he grew to be a Jedi. I will say he did not last with the order long as this was right before the Neo-Sith war broke out. A war that I believe involved the Vehns, the Triestes, the Wydras, oh, and a great deal of heroes who once called this place home.”

“What happened?” Austin asked.

“Your grandfather was seduced to the dark side of the force by a group of Sith acolytes. They fled to Bespin to disrupt the tibanna gas facilities there and the Jedi, led by Erisi, took down the younglings. In the process of being disarmed, young Joaquin was horribly disfigured,” Master Adain explained.

“May I?” Austin asked.

“Your grandfather would’ve wanted you to have this weapon,” Master Adain said.

Austin grasped the lightsaber and felt the reassuring coolness of the hilt against his palm. The hilt seemed to whisper to him, memories, feelings, old things from a time long gone. His thumb automatically reached up the hilt toward the switch and a brilliant yellow blade erupted from the base of the hilt, humming, glowing, illuminating the darkened room.

“It’s beautiful,” Austin remarked.

“It’s yours,” Master Adain said, “but on one condition.”

Austin looked into the Cerulean’s eyes and replied, “Name your terms.”

“You stay here and begin your training as a Jedi. The Force flows through you, Austin. Your mother understands this to be true and so does your sister.”

“What does Eleanor know?” Austin asked.

Jedi Master Tel Adain drew himself up to his full height and responded, “A lot more than you realize, young man. She’s always known that you’ve been special, different, and that is why she sent you to me.”

“I thought she sent me here to end the war,” Austin pointed out.

“Perhaps she did,” Master Adain responded as he looked at his newest student and knew that in this moment all was well in the galaxy.

Tag:Trieste;jcgoble3;Tim Battershell

7. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    =D==D==D=^:)^^:)^

Excellently done.

Vehn likes this.
  8. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Ninja'd - darn it!

Trieste and Vehn like this.
  9. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    Oh snap! I forgot some of that history, but it's all coming flooding back!

Vehn likes this.
  10. Vehn

Vehn Force Ghost star 4

Sep 14, 2009

Mon Gazza

The rain suddenly stopped and the clouds parted allowing the first rays of sunlight to hit the scorched earth for the first time in months. For the soldiers of the Second Roon Division, starving and exhausted, the brief reprieve from the nasty weather was a blessing from the Maker. Many soldiers simply stared up at the brilliant blue sky and marveled at the fluffy clouds drifting lazily overhead in a myriad of purple/pink colors. For a brief moment they had forgotten that this was a warzone. For a brief moment many of them dreamed that they were back home on Roon, be it in the cities of Nime or Tawntoom or in the grasslands of the Laweeya Prairie or the muddy crops on the edges of the Lady Constance mountain range.

“How beautiful,” Kurt Staalsen remarked as he lowered his weapon and simply stared at the beauties of creation.

“Would you look at that,” Kurt’s friend said nudging him gently with his elbow.

Kurt glanced across the torn battlefield and what he saw made his mouth drop. Thousands of Coalition soldiers, weapons held in a non-threatening manner, were walking toward their Federation counterparts in their ragtag uniforms, many of them without boots, many of them gaunt and starving, shells of their former selves. They bore the look of beings who had had enough, who’d seen enough death and destruction to last them several lifetimes.

“Don’t shoot! Don’t shoot!” a few of the Coalition soldiers yelled as they came closer.

Kurt lowered his rifle and reached into a pouch in his jacket and pulled out some food. It wasn’t much, it wasn’t even enough to really whet their appetites, but it was a step in the right direction, a step for peace, a step in ending the war. He offered it to the first Coalition soldier who walked by him and the man accepted the food with tears in his eyes. In that moment Kurt realized that the Coalition soldiers had suffered hardships as well and had been driven to the breaking point by a military command structure that had let them down time and time again. For the first time since joining this war, Kurt saw his enemies as people, people who lived, had died, and suffered just as much as he had.

All around him, the two forces converged, and instead of mindless violence and killing there was love and acceptance, reunion, and tears of healing. Friends embraced one another and family members reunited, recalling shared memories and experiences. Right now, in this moment, there was no war. Right now, in this moment, there was peace and harmony. For the soldiers of the Second Roon Division and the Fifth Druckenwell Division, who’d spilled blood together on the miserable fields of Lannik, Leritor, and fought against one another in the muddy hell of Mon Gazza, there was a sense of collective relief, that the right decision had been made, a revolutionary decision: a decision to stop fighting. A decision months in the making.

A decision that had come at great personal cost to everyone involved in the war and as Kurt took in this miracle he couldn’t help but feel that perhaps the war was over and the worst was behind them.

Nime, Roon

“They did what?” Eleanor asked even though she’d heard the statement clearly the first time.

“The soldiers have stopped fighting, Madam President,” General Oakes explained.

“On Mon Gazza?” Eleanor asked.

“Everywhere, Madam President,” Oakes said. “Our armies are now one. Liam Vehn doesn’t have a leg to stand on.”

Eleanor crumpled into her seat and felt a huge weight lift off her shoulders. Tears came to her and ran down her cheeks, hot tears, tears of relief and joy. “Oh, thank the Maker,” she whispered.

“Madam President, are you all right?” Robert Norden, chief of security, asked.

Eleanor wiped the tears away from her eyes and smiled in a way she hadn’t since the war began. “I’m just fine, Robert. In fact, I’ve never felt better. It is a fine day, Robert, is it not?”

“It is, my lady,” Robert laughed, “oh a fine day indeed.”

Coalition Flagship BloodRise

Liam Vehn allowed the datapad he was holding in his hand to clatter to the deck and shatter into a thousand pieces. The news of the cessation of hostilities hit him hard in the gut. He knew his armies had been run ragged but he never cared about their wellbeing. He’d never properly fed them or kept the supply lines open. He’d rolled the dice and come up short. His gamble to challenge Eleanor’s control over the galaxy had failed. Now they would come for him. Now they would hunt him down. He was a marked man and without the support of the Coalition soldiers the entire house of cards that he’d built was crumbling right before his very eyes.

“Orders, sir,” an officer asked.

Liam struggled to breathe, struggled to think, wanted to run, wanted to hide, but there was no escape. He then felt something very different as an idea came into his head. Something that had dwelled him for a very long time: anger, unrequited anger. He now knew what he had to do.

“Gather the remnants of the fleet. We’ll take the Varyndor Way straight to Roon,” Liam hissed.

“Sir, our last reports indicated a significant buildup of Federation ships around Roon. If we attack we may not survive,” the officer protested.

Liam grabbed the man by the collar of his uniform and yelled, “Assemble the frakking fleet, Captain! We head for Roon and Tesserone!”

“Yes sir!”

Minutes later the remnants of the Coalition fleet made the jump to hyperspace for what was to be the final act of the war between the Federation and the Coalition.

Tag:Trieste;CPL_Macja;jcgoble3;Tim Battershell

11. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Awesome. The entire Coalition army defected all at once. I love it.

And I can't wait to see the downfall of Liam Vehn. :D

12. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    I wouldn't be so sure, Grand Moff Goble. :p This is still a Vehn we're talking about. They don't go down easy. ;)

Vehn and jcgoble3 like this.
  13. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    This is true. [face_thinking]

Vehn likes this.
  14. Vehn

Vehn Force Ghost star 4

Sep 14, 2009
    Roon System
    Entrance to the Varyndor Way

The hyper-buoys that had been laid in the depths of space demarcating the entrance to the Varyndor Way back in 267 were rarely active. In fact, they were largely shut down save for a few odd sweeps every now and then. Today, one such hyper buoy was performing its unusual sweep when it detected an enormous anomaly emanating from the Varyndor Way: an anomaly that could only indicate a massive disturbance in real space.
    This anomaly initiated an alarm that was sent straight to Roon, an alarm that was only to sound in the event of a naval invasion.

Moments later the signal ceased as the Coalition flagship BloodRise reverted to realspace, its durasteel bow destroying the hyperbuoy in one crushing blow.

The final battle in the vicious war between the Druckenwellian Coalition and the Roon Federation was about to begin. The personal battle between Liam Vehn and his niece Eleanor was just beginning…

Command HQ, Nime, Roon

“Enemy fleet detected at the entrance to the Varyndor Way,” Admiral Quorro said, “sensors count at least two hundred vessels. What are your orders, Madam President?”

Eleanor tore her eyes away from the reports of the cessation of hostilities on Herdessa and Mon Gazza. So Liam had come by way of the back door. She knew he would try this move. She knew that once word of the defection of the Coalition soldiers reached his ears that he would come to claim Roon and Tesserone for his own. This was his final gamble in the war. This was his final act. He had to be stopped. By all means, Liam Vehn had to be stopped.

“Are your men ready, Admiral?” Eleanor asked.

“Ready and waiting, Madam President,” Quorro replied.

“Then by all means, attack. Take no quarter. This war ends today,” Eleanor ordered.

“As you wish, Madam President,” Quorro replied and paused at the door, “it has been a pleasure to serve under you, Eleanor Vehn.”

“You come back to me alive, Admiral, and you kill Liam Vehn and I swear you will have plenty to celebrate,” Eleanor said as Admiral Quorro gave a salute and departed.

“My lady, we need to get you to safety,” Robert Norden said.

“There’s no safe place for me,” Eleanor replied.

“At least leave the capital,” Robert suggested.

“And go where? I’m needed here, Robert,” Eleanor said.

“You’re needed at home,” a new voice interjected.

Eleanor knew that voice. The voice gave her chills down her spine. “Mother, now is not a good time.”

“I need you back on Tesserone, Eleanor. I will not ask again,” Verity said.

Eleanor looked out the heavy windows of her office. Saw soldiers running through the streets, rifles raised, anti-aircraft batteries being manned, fighters flying high overhead to defend Nime from the impending attack. She needed to be here. She needed to stay with her people during the worst of what was yet to come. She couldn’t leave them. She couldn’t turn her back, not now, not in the face of the fiercest fighting.

“Eleanor,” Robert said. “For your people, take care of yourself.”

Eleanor looked at her longtime guardian and friend and saw the pleading look in his eyes. She couldn’t fight Robert. She couldn’t fight him. Not her dear friend. Not like this. She turned to address her staff.

“Thank you, all of you, for what you have done for me since I first entered this office,” Eleanor said, “go home to your families. Hold them tight and tell them you love them. There will be a day where we shall reconvene in this office and look back on these dark times as if they were a distant memory. Today is not that day. Today we must retire to our homes and take care of ourselves. I will be going to Tesserone should anyone need me. Thank you for everything and May the Force Be With You.”

High Orbit: Roon

“Soldiers and Sailors of the fleet,” Admiral Horatio Quorro said as he stood on the bridge of the Federation flagship Rowena, “I ask you now for one last fight. I ask you for one last struggle against our old foes. The Coalition navy under the command of Liam Vehn has come to our beloved planet of Roon and has every intention of burning our great capital, our great city. We cannot let that happen. We cannot budge one kilometer. At last our great struggle to end this war has come to this moment: this moment of truth for all of us. There is no turning back. There is no retreat. This is where we draw the line. This is where we make our final stand. We fight today for democracy. We fight today to unite the last fragments of the RTO under the banner of our beloved Federation. I believe in our cause and I believe in you…

Frigate Tawntoom

Captain Jack Hawkes listened to Admiral Quorro’s address and had never felt more proud of the men and women under his command than in this very moment. He was proud to be fighting on the side of the Federation. He was proud to be serving his people. He was proud to know that at long last the great struggle was near the end. He wasn’t worried about dying. He wasn’t worried about disappointing his family down below on the surface. No, today, he would fight with all the courage and passion that he could muster.

“…you brave men and women are the last hope of the Vehn family. Serve them well as they have served you for all these years. Never forget that you owe much to them and that the old RTO did not die because of their leadership, it died because others became ambitious. The man you are fighting, Liam Vehn, is a Vehn in name only. He is not of the Vehn clan that I know. He is not a man I would ever swear any allegiance, Maker rest my soul. As we ride into battle, dear friends, I ask that every man and woman shall do their duty.”

The comm. was suddenly killed as a heavy silence descended on the bridge of the Tawntoom.

“Fire up the engines, roll out the guns, because today we’re going hunting! Bring me the Bloodrise!” Jack ordered as the bridge crew snapped to duty.

Bloodrise

“Shall I begin the attack?” the executive officer of the Bloodrise asked.

Liam could see his Roon through the transparisteel windows and for a brief moment a lump of sadness rose in his throat. How had he gotten to this point in his life? How had this happened? Where had he made the wrong turn? A part of him wanted to cry out and stop this madness. A part of him wanted to end this war and make peace with his family. But then the anger returned and he remembered how his father had written him out of the family will and then the crushing realization that Tesserone would never pass to him. That was unacceptable. That was not how it was supposed to be. He was the elder sibling. He was the male heir to the Vehn family. It was his right, by Maker, it was his right to own that land, to work that land, to honor those who had come before and those who were about to come.

He thought of his son, Jack, Maker, he must be 10 years old now. Then came the faint memories of holding an infant. He seemed to remember Kaitlyn look on with the doting look of a mother who couldn’t be happier in her marriage. Then it all seemed to fade away into blackness, regret, endless regret. He’d loved her so deeply until she’d seized power from him and claimed the mantle of the RTO. She’d tossed aside his dreams to pursue her own. He’d seen to it that he never forgave her and by his actions, he realized, she’d never forgiven him. She was dead, assassinated by the deceased crime lord Markel Drexel, on his command. Sure, it had looked good there for awhile to blame Kaitlyn’s death on Eleanor Vehn. That had weakened the old RTO until he could come in and crush it from the inside out. But then the truth had to come out. The truth that led them to this very moment: to one final battle over Roon.

“Commence your attack,” Liam said, “and may the Maker favor the right.”

The two fleets collided into one another firing full broadsides, suffering heavy torpedo attacks, obliterating entire fighter wings, and carrying the hopes and dreams of the entire Vehn family....

Tag:jcgoble3;Trieste;CPL_Macja

CPL_Macja, Trieste and jcgoble3 like this.
  15. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    The battle has begun. :D And I have a strong suspicion that important people will die. [face_nail_biting]

Vehn likes this.
  16. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    Like Liam, my thoughts turned to Jack in the moment of battle. It's a ways off, but I wonder what he will become given his life experiences. It doesn't sound like he's been close to either parent.

17. Vehn

Vehn Force Ghost star 4

Sep 14, 2009
    Part II:

Orbit of Roon
    Nine hours of exhaustive broadsides.

Nine hours of acts of heroism and despair.

Nine hours of relentless bloodletting.

Captain Jack Hawkes had never been so tired in his life and still he soldiered onward. The two enormous fleets, both Federation and Coalition, had absolutely lit into one another with the most powerful weapons at their disposal. Fuel and ordnance for the starfighters had run out hours ago, grounding flight operations, and the medical frigates were absolutely overwhelmed with casualties. Enormous hulks of burning capital ships hung in the cloud of dirt known as the Cloak of the Sith. Sensors hadn’t helped today, it was all manual targeting now, it was as if the top of the line vessels had been sent back several thousand years in time. Somehow, someway, the disciplined crews of the Federation navy had gained the upper hand against the more advanced vessels of the Coalition. Perhaps it was the aggressive leadership of Admiral Quorro or the introduction several weeks earlier of top military hardware from Rydonni Prime and Bakura, either way, Hawkes was grateful, as now he could set his eyes on the greatest prize of them all: the Bloodrise.

“She’s coming around to port! Bearing 280!” Hawkes’ executive officer yelled, blood streaming from a wound on his face. “Our shields can’t take another broadside!”

Jack whipped around to look out the port window as Bloodrise came around to make an attack run. He knew this time the struggle was personal. He knew that the main challengers who’d gone up against Bloodrise were swatted aside like flies. Their backs had been broken. Keels ripped in half as thousands of souls had been sucked into the vacuum of space in the blink of an eye. There could be no more running. This was where he had to stand his ground. This was where it mattered most. Right here, right now.

Jack Hawkes knew that the Tawntoom was outgunned. Her main drives were shot and so was the targeting computer. He also knew that the vessel was doing everything it could to keep its crew alive. Fires had broken out aft of the main magazine and it had taken a herculean effort by the crew to prevent the entire ship from going up in a cackle of smoke and oakum. He was pushing the old girl to her limits. Now she had to live up to her namesake. Now she had to be just as strong as the fortress from whence she took her name.

“Load torpedoes!” Jack roared.

“But sir without a targeting computer we won’t be able to—“

Jack waved his hand and interrupted, “I don’t need a targeting computer, I need the Bloodrise to die.”

Jack tensed as the Bloodrise sidled up next to the Tawntoom and he could practically smell the delight of the crew of that Coalition vessel as their guns rolled out, ready to strike the killing blow. He could nearly see every rivet, every weld, every sheet of durasteel. They were awfully close now. One hard strike was all he needed to make. Just a few more seconds. Almost there. Yes, right there.

“Open fire!” Jack roared as his crew, exhausted and wounded, relayed the order.

Torpedoes roared out of the side launchers and slammed into the vulnerable hull of the Bloodrise. Deep explosions ripped the great vessel apart piece by durasteel piece. The shockwaves from the explosions were so great that it flung the Federation frigate away from the carnage. Jack was thrown to his feet and regained his balance as the ship slowly stabilized. He frantically looked back in the direction of the Coalition flagship and was surprised to see that the fearsome ship of the line was still relatively intact, save for one crippling feature, its navigational systems no longer functioned properly as it had begun a lazy spin into Roon’s orbital pull.

“Three cheers for Lucky Jack!” the crew roared as they pumped their fists in excitement.

Jack’s face quickly fell as he watched in helpless horror as the Coalition flagship Bloodrise plowed straight into the crippled flagship of the Federation navy, the Rowena. The two capital ships fell helplessly toward Roon, joined keel to keel.

“Maker, what have I done!” Jack cried out.

Rowena

“Admiral, report from the fleet: Coalition ships have begun surrendering. I think it’s over, Admiral, I think we’ve done it!” Captain Tan Solaan exuberantly proclaimed.

Admiral Horatio Quorro knew better than to call it a day while Liam Vehn and the Coalition flagship Bloodrise were out there somewhere on the prowl.

“The fight’s not over until Liam Veh-“

A massive impact swept Admiral Quorro off his feet. He didn’t have time to react as a subsequent explosion of flame and debris erupted on the bridge of the Rowena. His stomach churned as gravity failed and he was thrown hard against an opposing bulkhead. Something sharp, something long, punctured his right lung. He screamed in agony as the pain swept over him. Somehow, someway, he was still conscious. He found a way to rotate and look back out the windows of the bridge only to discover to his horror the surface of Roon rushing up to greet him. The descent was too fast, the heat from re-entry too strong, the wound in his chest too painful.

Nime, Roon

Underground Bunker

Reports from the battle had flooded into the command headquarters of the Federation military all day long. The squawk and squabble of fighter wings, capital ship crews, and everyone in between had seemed like an relentless torrent of noise and chaos. Matters had been made worse when Coalition bombers had strafed Nime leaving the great city in absolute ruins. The Coalition had been thorough. They’d been vicious. They’d targeted military and civilian targets alike and quickly overrun the air defense systems of the port city. Despite the loss of life, Eleanor Vehn hadn’t left her people. She was still here. Nothing could take her away now. Not a single thing.

“Madam President, come outside, there’s something you need to see,” an aide said out of breath.

Eleanor slipped on her body armor and followed the aide topside. She followed his finger and her mouth hung agape in horror as she saw the two mighty flagships of the Coalition and Federation navies locked in a death struggle, locked in a sickening plummet toward the ground, toward the outskirts of Nime. The impact threw up a cloud of dust that blocked out the sun and sent aftershocks rippling throughout the countryside. From where she stood she could see an endless wall of flame and smoke.

“Ready the emergency crews,” Eleanor said and saw hesitation in the eyes of her staff, “now!”

Eleanor started to run in the direction of the downed vessels but was stopped by her Chief of Security, Robert Norden, “My lady, where are you going?”

“I have to help them, Robert. I have to help them!”

“Eleanor,” Sam Cullen said in a gentle tone, “I don’t think you should go.”

Eleanor looked in the direction of the great fires that burned tall and wide in the distant horizon, fires that were spreading with every delay, with every costly moment of hesitation. She knew what those fires were burning. Places she had been to in her youth, memories, sweet, and dear, going up in a towering inferno of flame. Fields she had loved and dreamed in.

“I have to Sam, I have to go,” Eleanor replied.

“Why?” Sam asked. “What do you see?”

Eleanor felt a lump rise in her throat as she fought back tears. “The fields, the fields are burning….”

“What fields, my lady?” Robert asked.

“The fields of Tesserone,” Eleanor replied.

Tag: jcgoble3;Trieste

18. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    And the fires that began elsewhere and started the Federation on its way have now come home. What tragic symmetry!

jcgoble3 likes this.
  19. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    And now I can't wait for the conclusion. [face_nail_biting]

20. Vehn

Vehn Force Ghost star 4

Sep 14, 2009
    Part III:

Jedi Temple,

Ossus

12 Hours Earlier

“Don’t stand in my way, Master Adain,” Austin said as he finished his pre-flight inspection of the Jedi starfighter.

“I know what you’re doing and I do not approve. If you choose to leave your training now all the progress you have made will have been for nothing,” Adain warned.

“So I’m supposed to stand here and watch as my entire family is on the verge of being killed?” Austin challenged. “My homeworld is under attack, Master Adain, My family is under attack. I can’t afford to wait on the sidelines.”

“I understand your loyalty to your family, I really do, but I am warning you do not give in to anger and hatred. You know where those paths lead. Think of your grandfather and his own fall to the Dark Side. Act in self-defense only, Austin, and choose wisely when you must take a life. Once you have destroyed another soul with your blade you can never go back. Your life will change in ways you couldn’t even begin to imagine,” Adain cautioned.

Austin clipped his lightsaber to his utility belt and extended his hand, “Thank you, Master Adain, for all your teachings. I will do my best to uphold the honor and code of the Jedi.”

Adain grasped his student’s hand and sighed, “Be mindful, young Padawan. Be ever so mindful. Where you go a great dark energy swirls. Do not succumb to its temptations.”

“I won’t, I promise,” Austin replied as he clambered into the cockpit and activated the engines.

The Jedi starfighter lifted off the landing pad and rocketed upward into the atmosphere, for home, for the Vehn family, for Roon.

Roon

Eleanor leaned forward as if that action alone could coax more speed out of the landspeeder she piloted toward the family home. Wind whipped her hair and blistered her face and still she drove with maddening intent. All sorts of thoughts flew through her mind as she drew closer to the wreckage of the great capital ships. Was Liam alive? Was her mother alive? What of her father? What of her daughter, Grace? What of Rowan, her husband? What of Jack, her cousin?

Thick, churning, rolling, black smoke shot up into the sky blocking out what would have been a beautiful summer day. The towering forms of the wrecked capital ships were before her as she threw the speeder into park and hopped out, blaster rifle in hand. She came across the pitiful sight of mutilated bodies, Federation and Coalition alike, equally dead, equally innocent in this bloody war. Then as she journeyed further into the wreckage her eyes soaked up the hundreds of survivors that had somehow survived the fall, the bands of survivors that had made it through atmospheric re-entry. What were the odds or survival? Negligible. There were no winners today, Eleanor thought, no, nobody wins in war.

Eleanor turned to see Robert Norden and a handful of Federation soldiers disembarking a nearby speeder. They rushed to her position.

“What are your orders, my lady?” Robert asked.

“Help the survivors,” Eleanor instructed.

“All of them?” Robert asked.

Eleanor knew what he meant. He was questioning whether it was worth the time and effort to help the Coalition soldiers. Part of her couldn’t blame him. Part of her wanted to put them all out of their misery but at some point this war was going to end and the old RTO would have to heal itself. Ideally Druckenwell would be welcome back into the fold. Ideally she would take a leaf out of the Trieste side of her family and how they had handled the reconciliation with the Maple Flag Republic during their bitter civil war that had lasted four long years. Perhaps there was a small blessing in that this conflict, approaching the two year mark, had been so quick. At the same time the war had cost far more lives than any conflict fought in the Outer Rim since the Neo-Sith War. She knew she was at a crossroads. Her actions here today in the wake of such a horrific battle would determine her legacy for decades to come.

“For them, Robert, the war is over. Treat them with the same respect and honor you would show our own. They fought well today. They fought ever so well but enough is enough. No more bloodshed,” Eleanor said.

Eleanor could see that Robert struggled with the decision but accepted it nevertheless. He turned to his soldiers and pointed out a few Coalition troops nearby. “Get those men some water, now!”

Eleanor moved away from the wreckage, moved away from the horrors of war. There was one place she had to go now. One place that those who followed her could never understand why she loved so much. She walked back to the speeder and tore away in the direction of home. She could make out the low profile of the Vehn house through the heavy, heat induced summer haze. The fires were getting closer and as she pulled up the front drive and stopped in front of the house she could tell that something was wrong.

Something was very wrong.

30 Minutes Earlier

Tesserone

Verity felt the ground heave and buck beneath her feet as she worked outside in the gardens. She gave out a yell as she looked skyward to see the two capital ships punch into the earth with tremendous force. It was in that moment that the war which had claimed scores of lives had finally come home to Tesserone. That cold realization didn’t chill her to the bone like the fierce wind that came roaring down from the Lady Constance Mountains fanning the flames of the mighty vessels whose fuel had already begun to burn the fields of Tesserone.

Roon

Liam kicked open the escape pod hatch and jumped back as the hatch was ripped away by the howling winds so typical of the farm country of Roon. He struggled out of the pod and took in his surroundings. He spotted Tesserone not far away. Memories came to him of a time when he had helped Verity liberate the household from the likes of Alexander Speyburn, the rogue Tribune from Druckenwell, a man, Liam thought, who had been way ahead of his time. That seemed like another lifetime ago. That seemed like a time far in the past. Those times were gone. Now he wanted Tesserone for himself. It was his birth right. It was his destiny.

Liam double-checked his blaster pistol and felt satisfied with the weapon. He wouldn’t need to be here long. He’d just need to take care of a little personal business first. He made his way toward the house, toward his childhood home, toward the leering memories of the past.

Tesserone

Eleanor got out of the speeder, grabbing her blaster rifle as she did so, and headed into the Vehn family home. She was immediately welcomed by the beautiful main foyer which had been tastefully crafted by Joaquin and Rowena Vehn 30 years earlier and hadn’t aged a day. The house was one of those timeless designs. For Eleanor, it was one of those timeless places, a place where the troubles of the galaxy couldn’t reach her or her family. Now a heavy presence filled the home. Now something was clearly off and she knew it as she prowled through room after room only to discover that the house was empty. She peered through a window out toward the back acreage. What she saw made her blood run cold. What she saw made her want to scream in anger.

Tesserone

“Let me go!” Verity roared as Liam grabbed a hold of her hair and threw her to the ground.

“Miss me, sis?” Liam taunted.

“Why are you doing this, Liam?” Verity asked as she tried to get up but was forced to the ground by the very cold snub nose of a blaster pistol.

“I thought you of all people would know,” Liam replied.

Verity shook her head. “I don’t know you anymore, brother.”

“Then let me tell you a little story,” Liam sneered as he brought the back of his hand across Verity’s face sending her to the ground in pain.

268 ABY

Tesserone, Roon

“I brought you here tonight to discuss the future,” Joaquin Vehn said one rainy evening.

Liam and Verity exchanged a look as they sat across from one another. They had begun to suspect that their father was crafting his will. He was a shrewd businessman. He was the founder of the RTO. He was the reason that the Vehn family had come to Roon after having put down roots on such notable locales as Ord Mantell, Adumar, and even to a lesser extent, Naboo. Both brother and sister had their own ideas for the future, ideas that happened to be very different from one another.

“Are you feeling well?” Verity asked.

“Well enough,” Joaquin replied.

“Don’t worry about him, Verity. I’m sure he’s in good health. He’s clearly got something to tell. So tell us, father. Tell us about this future,” Liam said wanting to get to the point of the meeting.

“A day will come, my children, where I am no longer here,” Joaquin began, “and that day is not today but it could be tomorrow or ten years from now but either way, I have put a great deal of thought into what I have to say and I ask that I not be interrupted.”

“Understood,” Liam and Verity said in unison.

“The RTO is so much more than a governing body, an economic union, a peaceful alternative to the chaos of before. The RTO is an idea, it is a dream, it is the hope that we can create a better tomorrow, today. When I’m in Nime, or visiting the member worlds, I am astounded by the disparity, the suffering, the impoverishment of an entire generation that was left behind by choice and by fortune by the great powers of this galaxy, specifically the Republic. I created the RTO to serve as a positive change in this part of the galaxy. I want people to look upon our banners and know that they are heard, they are understood, and that they are valued in this society. I want them to feel they can improve their lives no matter what is going on or what may be bringing them down. Most importantly, I want people to smile. I want people to have hope. If we can do that then we have done our job,” Joaquin said.

The patriarch of the Vehn family looked out the window at the beautiful rolling hills of Tesserone and reflected on the life he had created for his family. His eyes grew a little misty as he thought of his beautiful wife Rowena who had been his greatest inspiration and one of his greatest joys. She had died in a terrible explosion while at the foot of the stairs of the beautiful Vehn home. An explosion later discovered to be part of a conspiracy to wipe out the Vehn family by a secret organization known as the Eldar Star Society. The members of that secret organization were hunted down and destroyed by the Vehn and Trieste families.

Oddly enough, it was the Eldar Star Society, many centuries ago, that had first joined Niall Trieste and Airen Vehn together in the bonds of friendship during their famous hunt for the Jaded Emerald of Solost. The two men kept in touch throughout their lives and into their final days. Some adventures, some experiences, went beyond words and that was the depth of their friendship. That was the depth of respect between Trieste and Vehn that carried forward to the penultimate union of Vehn and Trieste families in the marriage of Verity Vehn and Oisin Trieste.

“Therefore, it is with a clean conscience that I have come to my decision,” Joaquin said.

“A decision regarding?” Liam pressed even though he suspected the answer.

“The future of the RTO,” Joaquin responded, “and my decision is that after I am deceased the RTO will pass to Verity.”

“She doesn’t even want to run the damn thing!” Liam roared as he stood and pounded the table with his fist. “I do!”

“Father,” Verity felt her voice fall away as she looked across the table at Liam whose eyes had narrowed into the eyes of a killer.

“I have made my decision,” Joaquin said in a quiet voice, “and I ask that you respect it.”

“Why? Why are you shutting me out of your life?” Liam challenged. “Give me the RTO!”

“Do you want to know why, my boy?” Joaquin asked avoiding Liam’s outburst.

Liam nodded.

“A dark energy swirls in your heart, Liam, a dark energy that I used to let consume my very being long ago when I was a young man. I see that same dark energy pushing you to do things that I find absolutely reprehensible,” Joaquin said.

“Such as?”

“I have it on good authority that you were responsible for the bombing of the Privy Council a few months ago,” Joaquin said, “and that you killed good men and women so that Eleanor, Maker bless her, could ascend to the throne of Naboo. Do you realize what you have done, my boy? You’ve destabilized the entire region, everything I’ve worked for! ”

“Liam,” Verity said looking up at her brother as tears formed in her eyes, “tell me that isn’t true! Tell me!”

“I did what I thought was right, Father. I did what you were too afraid to do. Everything I’ve ever done has been for the good of the family. I shall ask you one last time to give me the RTO. Do not write me out of your life,” Liam said.

Joaquin, voice shaking out of sadness, looked up at his son and replied, “You wrote yourself out of our lives a long time ago and it breaks my heart to finally say that to your face. I will always love my memories of you but I do not love what you do or who you have become. The answer is no, Liam. Maker above, the answer is a resounding no.”

Liam pointed his finger at Joaquin and growled, “You’ll regret this, Father.”

“I regret a great many things, Liam,” Joaquin said, “but I know in my heart I will never regret this decision.”

Roon

Present Day

“Drop the pistol, Liam,” Eleanor threatened as she emerged onto the back porch.

“Eleanor!” Verity cried out.

“The savior has arrived,” Liam sneered, “unfortunately she’s arrived a little too late.”

Eleanor raised her blaster rifle. Could feel time slow down as she watched in muted horror as Liam’s index finger flew toward the trigger. She wasn’t a good enough shot, even at this close distance, to make sure Liam was taken down before her mother’s life ended. She had flashbacks to the last time she killed a man. The way that sick, perverted, individual, Senator Rhom Cardaas had taunted her right up until the end, the way the glass behind him had dripped crimson as the bolt flew through his skull. He’d deserved that death but for Eleanor having that blood on her hands had been enough to last her an entire lifetime.

“Say goodbye to your mother,” Liam said as his index finger began to pull the trigger.

Eleanor screamed, expecting to see her mother crumple to the hard dirt in a cloud of crimson and ozone, but her screams were ripped away in the fierce wind as the blaster pistol that Liam was holding onto flew out of his hand and clattered a good distance away.

“Leave my mother alone!” Austin said as he lowered his hand.

“Austin!” Verity cried out in relief.

“I see how this is going to be,” Liam replied and kicked Verity in the ribs sending her to the ground in writhing pain. He reached into his pocket and procured a metal cylinder. A small switch extended the handle so that the weapon could be held in two hands if necessary. Another switch activated the cortosis lined vibroblades on either end of the handle so that now the weapon looked like a deadly staff.

Austin instinctively activated his lightsaber, the yellow blade erupting in a fit of fury. He slowly circled around Liam, placing himself between Liam and Verity. He knelt down beside his mother and helped her back to her feet.

“Mama, are you all right?” Austin asked never taking his eyes of Liam.

“I’ll be fine,” Verity replied.

“Go into the house,” Austin said.

“Yes, get that coward out of here,” Liam taunted, “its just you and me, boy.”

“Eleanor, you’ll need this,” Verity said offering her daughter an ancient looking vibrosword and taking the blaster rifle away from her.

“Mama what are you doing?” Eleanor asked.

“Saving your life,” Verity replied, “use your training, Eleanor. Protect your brother.”

Eleanor gripped the hilt and made a few swipes at the air. Yes, she knew how to use a vibrosword. She’d been trained in the art of fencing since she was a little girl by the great duelists of the Royal Academy. Then it had been for ceremonious purposes but the moves were still fatal. The training came back to her. The memories, the rush, and now she would have to apply her lessons against one of her kin.

Austin and Liam exchanged a few blows, feeling one another out, sparks flying. Both men were eager to strike the killing blow. Both men were eager to have a quick fight. They parried and thrusted, punched, kicked, and used every fiber of their weapons as a tool of destruction.

Eleanor watched for a few seconds, timing her attack, and then leaped into the fray. She gave a heavy swipe at where Liam’s head would’ve been but he quickly blocked her strike and countered using the momentum of his counter to kick her in the face. Eleanor spun around to the ground, head ringing, vision swimming, and felt the iron taste of blood burst from her mouth. She picked herself back up and rejoined the attack.

Liam was an adept fighter. Somewhere in the years since he had disappeared from the public sphere he had learned the arts of using the blade. Perhaps it was in the same time that he was plotting the death of Kaitlyn Vehn. Perhaps it was in the same time that he was conspiring to destroy the RTO. Perhaps it was in same time that he was mulling all the ways he could exact his revenge.

Eleanor kicked out with her boot and caught Liam in the head just as Austin came in from the side with a swipe of his own. Liam’s vibro-staff was cut in two, sending sparks everywhere as Liam reeled from the blow. Austin and Eleanor worked in tandem, trading attacks, dodging, jumping, being mindful of where the other was so as not to cause an injury. It was almost as if the two were of the same mind but Eleanor knew they had never been that close. If the Force was with her it was on such a small level that she could never possibly detect it or pursue expanding her knowledge. No, Austin was the Jedi, Austin was the one blessed with that ancient order’s powers.

Liam threw a punch that caught Austin in the face forcing him to the ground. He followed up with a kick to the ribs that left Austin gasping for air. Eleanor launched herself into Liam, knocking him off balance, and brought her blade down on his chest. She heard fabric rip, saw a faint puff of red, as her blade tore a gash in his chest. Liam swept Eleanor off her feet and rolled some distance away. He stood, staring at her, his shirt stained with blood.

“How long do you think you can keep this up, Eleanor?” Liam asked.

“Long enough to see you six feet under,” Eleanor replied as brought her blade up into attack position.

“You’d like to see that wouldn’t you?” Liam sneered.

Eleanor noticed Austin had regained his composure and was standing at the ready. It was two on one. Liam’s weapon was half destroyed. There was only one way this fight could end. It was only a matter of time now. Only a matter of time. Someone would make a mistake. Someone would let the fatigue of the fight overwhelm them.

Liam made the first move. He ducked, rolled, and grabbed his blaster pistol quickly firing off a few shots at Austin. Austin, caught off guard, deflected one of them while the others sizzled harmlessly into the air. Eleanor quickly closed the distance to Liam and brought her blade down on the blaster pistol severing the barrel in half. Liam growled and brought his fist up to Eleanor’s jaw. The resounding punch took Eleanor to the ground. Dazed, confused, dirt swirling in and around, vision swimming in pain, she made out Austin’s yellow lightsaber whirling and humming in the fading light of day. It was as if his blade were a beacon of the hopes of an entire quadrant of the galaxy.

Austin raised his lightsaber above his head for an overhead blow. The powerful strike was barely absorbed by Liam’s sword as both men leaned into one another determined to get in the killing strike. Eleanor could see they were absolutely wiped out. They were on the edge walking that fine line between life and death. She struggled to her feet and circled in behind Liam. She didn’t want to have to kill him. She’d done enough killing for her lifetime. She’d seen the horrific effects of what this war had done to the old RTO, to the dream of the Vehns, to the beautiful home of Tesserone now about to be consumed in the flames of wreckage and war.

Eleanor placed the tip of her blade at the base of Liam’s neck. She could feel his back stiffen through the cold steel. “It’s over Liam.”

“We’ll see about that,” Liam responded as he kneed Austin in the groin, spun around and deflected Eleanor’s sword with his forearm, and then used his leverage to knock her blade far away from her.

Eleanor, unarmed, backed up and tripped over a rock. She gasped as the hard ground collected her body. Liam stood over her, weapon in hand, tip of the blade brushing against her neck. It was a teasing move, a taunting move, the act of a man who had little to live for but everything to gain by her death. She looked over at Austin, struggling to get up, struggling to regain his composure. He couldn’t get here in time to save her life. No, perhaps this was the end.

“Say goodbye to Tesserone,” Liam said as he brought his arm back to take Eleanor’s life.

Eleanor never took her eyes off of Liam. Never really blinked. Never showed fear. Not even when Liam drew his arm back to strike the blow that would end her life. She would miss her husband, miss Grace, miss the life she had created, but if this was the end there wasn’t much she could do about it. She was tired. The fight had taken a lot out of her. The sword came ripping through the air and then stopped inches above her head. Something was wrong. Something was off here. Eleanor saw the expression on Liam’s face and it was one of pain. His hand went slack, the sword falling away to the ground as Liam collapsed to his knees and then rolled over onto the ground, dead. An axe had been lodged in his back, thrown from a considerably distance, by the most unlikely of people: Verity Vehn.

Eleanor looked at her mother who only gave a nod. They understood one another now. They understood how far they’d gone to save Tesserone.

“You okay?” Austin said rushing up to Eleanor’s side.

Eleanor drew Austin into a fierce hug and whispered, “I love you brother.”

“I love you , sis.”

Verity came and embraced her children. Tears of joy were exchanged as well as tears of relief. There was a sense that at long last the great struggle was over.

“Would you look at that,” Verity said pulling out of the embrace.

Eleanor and Austin turned to look as the fierce winds suddenly shifted the fires away from Tesserone and back up toward the mountains. Robert Norden showed up a few minutes later with a gaggle of Federation soldiers at the ready. They quickly dragged
    Liam’s body away where it would be burned. He was no longer a Vehn. He was no longer a threat.

“Unbelievable,” Austin said.

“Someone was looking out for us today,” Eleanor said.

“Perhaps you’re right my dear, perhaps you’re absolutely right,” Verity replied as she guided her children into the house.

“Mama, that story Liam told about you and the RTO,” Eleanor said.

“Yes?”

“That true?” Eleanor asked.

“All of it is true. I never wanted the RTO, Eleanor, I never wanted that burden but I took it on my shoulders to stop Liam from destroying everything our father had worked for. As you can see, he won. He murdered Kaitlyn Vehn, destroyed the RTO, started a horrific war that claimed countless lives….”

“Maybe the RTO was never meant to survive,” Austin pointed out. “Maybe what grandfather was trying to protect was the idea. He knew the economic union was fragile and he knew that Liam would do everything in his power to destroy that union. I think he hoped that the next generation would figure out a better solution.”

“Did we?” Eleanor asked her brother.

“That remains to be seen,” Austin replied.

Tag: CPL_Macja;jcgoble3;Trieste

jcgoble3, Trieste and Tim Battershell like this.
  21. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    Wow. That was quite a climax! And oh boy, does this have me thinking about what happens next with the Triestes. There's a lot of parallels here...

Vehn likes this.
  22. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    That was amazing! =D==D=^:)^^:)^^:)^

I love how the killing blow comes from Verity, who wasn't even a factor in the fight up to that point. Liam forgot about her. [face_laugh] I wonder if he even had a chance to realize who killed him.

Vehn and Trieste like this.
  23. Vehn

Vehn Force Ghost star 4

Sep 14, 2009

Tesserone, Roon

Several Hours After Liam’s Death

Eleanor hugged her daughter Grace tightly to her chest never wanting to let go. The events of the day had absolutely taken a toll on her mind, body, and spirit. It was all she could do now to remain standing. It was all she could do to watch the setting of the sun and drink in the warmth of the day, the sound of crickets chirping in the distance, her family gathered around her in quiet reflection. She reached out with her fingers and took Rowan’s hand into her own. She gave a loving squeeze which he returned. She knew he was thankful that she had survived. Somehow, someway, they had all survived.

“Mommy?” Grace asked.

“Yes, my dear?” Eleanor replied.

“You’re staying with us tonight, right?”

Eleanor looked at her husband and knew that she had been away from her family for far too long. First it had been campaigning on Roon and then the dissolution of the RTO, the formation of the Federation, and then this wretched war. She’d missed so much. She’d missed Grace’s birthdays, anniversaries, and even family dinners. She just hadn’t been around and she knew that had placed an incredible burden on Rowan who had stood by her side even when she hadn’t come home choosing to stay in Nime instead. Tonight she had a choice. Tonight, for the first time in a long time, she could honestly say that she had earned the right to stay home.

Robert Norden cleared his throat as he approached. “I beg your pardon, my lady, but I have a report of the day’s action.”

“Read it to me,” Eleanor replied.

“Most of the Coalition fleet is destroyed, my lady. Those ships that retreated could not make the jump into hyperspace and have surrendered. A great majority of the high command of the Coalition was killed in the fighting as were countless sailors of untold number. For all intents and purposes, my lady, the fighting capacity of the Coalition government has been neutralized,” Robert said.

“And what of our own casualties?” Eleanor inquired.

“Our casualties were high as well, my lady. We lost many friends. My men pulled Admiral Horatio Quorro from the wreckage of the Rowena and I regret to inform you that he died of his wounds several hours later. We did everything we could for him.

Before he died, Admiral Quorro said, and these are his exact words, ‘Thank Maker, I have done my duty.’ I have never seen a more noble man meet his end than he did,” Robert replied.

Eleanor closed her eyes and said a quiet prayer for the souls of the thousands who had sacrificed all in service to the Federation. When she opened her eyes only one question came to mind,” Is the day ours, Robert?”

“The day is yours, my lady,” Robert Norden replied.

Eleanor felt tears slip down her cheeks as she embraced her daughter tightly to her chest. At last, at long last, there was light at the end of the dark tunnel that had consumed the old RTO. At long last there was the possibility of this war being over, finished, and the wounds it had created hopefully on the path of healing.

“Mommy, you didn’t answer my question,” Grace reminded Eleanor as her fingers brushed away Eleanor’s tears.

“Yes, Grace,” Eleanor replied with a laugh, “I’m staying here tonight.

Nime, Roon

One Day Later
    [​IMG]

Miraculously the Executive Building of the Roon Federation had survived the Coalition bombing of Nime. Unfortunately, the rest of the city had not fared as well and would require extensive repairs. It was a point of inspiration, then, to the cleanup crews and those looking for work in the reconstruction of Nime that the symbol of power and government in the Federation had emerged unscathed from one of the darkest chapters in eastern Outer Rim history. Still, there was much work to do including the formal cessation of hostilities between Druckenwell and Roon.

Eleanor, wearing a black business suit accented by a flower lapel consisting of bluebells from Naboo to represent her strong ties to that beautiful world, waited patiently for the Coalition delegation to arrive in the main conference hall. She hadn’t really had time to reflect on what the Federation would look like in the post war period or how the process of putting back the shattered pieces of the RTO would unfold. She was only focused on one thing today and that was signing the documents that would finally end this bloody war that had claimed 12 million lives in the span of just a couple of years.

“They’re here,” Robert whispered in her ear.

Eleanor brushed off her suit and watched as the Coalition delegation approached. She felt a little angry as these men who had fought so hard against her drew close. In her eyes they were traitors. In her eyes they were not worth keeping alive. For a minute she wanted to pull out a blaster and execute them right here in this hall and then she realized as she looked in their eyes that they were people with families and thoughts of their own. She realized that they had been swept up in the call of war by a madman, by her very kin. The man responsible for starting this war was dead and it was in that moment that Eleanor Vehn understood that enough blood had been shed these last few years. It was time to heal. It was time to move forward. It was time for peace.

Even in defeat the Coalition officers wore their uniforms impeccably as if they were on parade. They stopped in front of General Stanley Oakes, dressed in the sharply cut military uniform of the Roon Federation, and saluted. Oakes returned the salute and as he lowered his hand guided them toward Eleanor.

“Welcome to Nime,” Eleanor said breaking the heavy silence that dominated the room, “I hope you have been treated well?”

“We have, Madam President,” the highest ranking officer, a Major who went by the name of Summers, replied.

“You understand why you are here today?” Eleanor asked.

“To end this war, Madam President, and formally surrender myself and the Coalition military to you,” Major Summers replied.

“Do you speak on behalf of the Coalition military?”

“I do,” Major Summers replied.

“You accept the terms of surrender?” Eleanor inquired as she pointed to the document laid out before both parties on the table next to her.

The terms of surrender outlined that effective immediately the Coalition government was declared null and void and that all military hardware, weapons, and supplies were to be transferred to the Federation. Druckenwell would cease to have an independent security force and its military fighting capabilities would be neutralized. Any trade deal struck between the Federation and the Third Republic was to exclude Druckenwell until such time as Druckenwell could be deemed a productive member of galactic society. Any prisoners of war were to be exchanged and that Druckenwell was for the time being to be occupied by Federation soldiers where in the next six months a review would be held to determine the future of the planet. For all intents and purposes, the pre-war Druckenwell was no more. Never again would Druckenwell raise an army to challenge Roon hegemony.

“We do,” Major Summers replied and signed the surrender document.

Eleanor signed as well and when she was done a thunderous applause broke out in the conference hall.

“Go home, Major Summers,” Eleanor said over the applause as she shook the major’s hand, “the war is over.”

“Gladly, Madam President, I go gladly home,” Major Summers replied.

Mon Gazza

Kurt Staalsen paused to look back at the torn and bloody battlefields of Mon Gazza. Here on these wretched, Maker forsaken, fields he had lost his youth, his innocence, and pieces of his soul. Here in the torrential rains and the death and dying he had become a man. Here he had learned the harsh realities of war and what it meant for the mind, for the body, and for the spirit. Here he had laid many good friends to rest. Here he had failed to make sense of the violence and simply done his job. Here he had somehow survived. Here he was one of the lucky few that escaped the horrific battle and earned the right to go home, the right to see his mother and feel her embrace him as he cried into her shoulder. Here he had earned a lifetime of peace. Yes, that much he had earned.

The ramp to his transport closed blocking out the experiences and memories of Mon Gazza forever. He closed his eyes and drifted off to sleep as the transport lifted off taking him back to Roon and an uncertain future.

Kurt Staalsen was going home.

Today that was enough.

Herdessa

Hundreds of thousands of Coalition soldiers filed past the loose Federation escort on their way to the transports that would carry them back to Druckenwell. As they filed past, in their ragged uniforms and many without boots, they laid their arms down in an ever-growing pile. They were the walking dead. They were the shattered remnants and reminders of a conflict that they hadn’t volunteered to fight in for a man many had never believed in to begin with.

Here on Herdessa there was an overwhelming sense of relief by the beings of the First Roon Division which had been absolutely decimated in the two year battle. Few men were around who had first joined the unit prior to the outbreak of hostilities. Most had been pressed into service. Most had seen things they could never tell their spouses, their families, and would haunt them well into their old age. Most simply wanted to go home and be done with the sins of the past.

The war fought on Herdessa was on a level that only those who had served could ever fully understand. The war that was about to begin at home was an entirely different beast and one that was not an easy path to peace or prosperity.

Roon Orbital Shipyards

Tawntoom

“Attention!” the executive officer of the Tawntoom roared.

The sound of hundreds of boots snapping together on the main hangar deck was like music to the ears of Captain Jack Hawkes as he strode up the dais to address his sailors.

“At ease,” Jack said.

The formation shifted.

“I wanted to thank you, all of you, for the service you have given to the Federation these last few years,” Jack said, “We started the war and I am very proud to say we were involved in the action that helped end it. We lost a lot of good people. You know the names. You know their stories. I know you will always remember them long after you step out of the uniform and out of the service. It has been an absolute privilege to command all of you in the heat of battle. I consider myself the luckiest man alive to have served with such fine beings. Let us not forget those we have lost and may we all strive to leave the galaxy a better place than we found it.”

On his way out of the hangar, Jack Hawkes heard the crew shouting his name and applauding. At least he had done one thing right in this entire bloody mess. He’d brought them home. That made him smile.

Today was a good day.

Tesserone

“I couldn’t have done this without you,” Eleanor whispered into Austin’s ear as she gave him one final embrace.

“Nor I without you,” Austin replied.

“Thank you,” Eleanor said as Austin pulled away and clambered in the speeder that would take him back to Nime and then on to Ossus.

“May the Force Be With You,” Austin said with a wave.

“And also with you,” Eleanor shouted over the roar of the engine.

The speeder tore out of the driveway and disappeared in a cloud of dust. Once again, Austin Vehn was gone, gone to pursue his calling.

Verity sidled up next to Eleanor and wrapped an arm around her shoulders. “You were brave to come back here and fight off Liam the way you did.”

“I couldn’t let him get this place, Mama. I couldn’t let him destroy it,” Eleanor replied, “not after the way he killed Kaitlyn, not after the way he treated you.”

Verity nodded in agreement. “You want to know why I killed him, don’t you?”

“I do,” Eleanor replied.

“Because the brother I knew and loved died a long time ago. The man I killed was someone else. Someone else I didn’t know,” Verity said.

“When I was away on Coruscant and Naboo I used to dream of this place. I used to dream that I would one day come back here to live. I used to dream of the fields and the crops and those gorgeous sunrises and sunsets. I used to dream that one day I would settle here and start a family of my own,” Eleanor observed as she headed back into the house.

“And did your dreams come true?” Verity asked.

Eleanor looked back at her mother and then examined the porch of Tesserone where she saw her father, Oisin, her husband Rowan, her daughter Grace, and knew that in this moment, this very moment, everything was going to be just fine.

“They did, Mama. They really did,” Eleanor replied.

Tag: jcgoble3;Trieste

Trieste, jcgoble3 and Tim Battershell like this.
  24. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    =D==D==D= Amazing wrap-up!

Will the story of the Vehns be continued beyond this? :D

25. Vehn

Vehn Force Ghost star 4

Sep 14, 2009
    :D Yep :)

jcgoble3 likes this.