main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Film Music Hall - New Board Rules [no longer] in Effect

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by RidingMyCarousel, Nov 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    Greetings, everyone :)

If you haven't read the latest Advisory Council Update, I urge you to do so. The discussion of merging the Film Music Hall with other forums has been brought up; Right now, the discussion has been put on hold for at least two weeks.

First and foremost, I need your thoughts on this board and how we can bring more activity to it.

So, if you could answer the following questions, I'd be grateful. This is your board, if you want to see it stay as a separate forum, your input will be needed. Thanks. :)

1) How did you find out about the Film Music Hall? And how do you think the board could generate more traffic?

2) What are your favorite threads in the Film Music Hall? Are there any you frequently check out and post in on a regular basis?

3) Is there anything you feel could be done for this board that would help make the board better? If so, what?

This is just a start. Incase you're not a regular in JC Communications, I'll also keep you updated to the situation in this thread. If you want this forum to stay around, please post your input. Thanks :)

~ James

2. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    1) How did you find out about the Film Music Hall? And how do you think the board could generate more traffic?

I just randomly clicked over.
    I think this board could generate more traffic if another track with foreign lyrics was used in Episode III. Then everyone would come and ask what the words meant.

2) What are your favorite threads in the Film Music Hall? Are there any you frequently check out and post in on a regular basis?

Threads here tend to be pretty short. But I am fond of The Music Tavern and the thread devoted to The Happy Senators' Theme.

3) Is there anything you feel could be done for this board that would help make the board better? If so, what?

FOR THE LOVE OF GONK, DO NOT MERGE IT. This is a great forum, probably one of the best on the JC. I like the slow pace and the fellowship here. And besides, as I understand it, this is primarily an SW music forum--just with a whole bunch of off-topic threads. And that's okay by me.

Besides, those artsy, elevated Amphitheatre guys might not like the Happy Senators' Theme. :(

Rick McCallum loves you!

3. RidingMyCarousel

Feb 20, 2002
    FOR THE LOVE OF GONK, DO NOT MERGE IT. This is a great forum, probably one of the best on the JC. I like the slow pace and the fellowship here. And besides, as I understand it, this is primarily an SW music forum--just with a whole bunch of off-topic threads. And that's okay by me.

Alrighty. Here's the deal -- there were two ideas for merging, if it is to happen. One of them was merge the entire thing into the Amphitheatre. The other was to split the board up between the movie forums (the Star Wars music discussion), the LucasFilm Projects Board (the Lucas-related music) and the Amphitheatre (the music not covered by the previous two). There's also an idea about reforming Star Wars Misc. -- if a merger is to happen, I'll tell you guys. I'm the moderator in charge here and I'll be sure to do my best to make sure that this board is split up how you guys would have it (again, if that has to happen).

I don't want to split this board up. But, if it comes to that, I'm going to make sure it happens as fairly as possible to the regulars here.

4. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
  5. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I can tell you right now that the Film Music Hall is the primary reason I post on the JC anymore. It is the only place without the incessant bashing/gushing politics of much of the rest of the JC.

If it were to be merged into the Amphitheatre, I would probably lose all reason to post on the JC and not come back. I know that sounds harsh but this is my "home." I live for music. I love music and have it constantly playing. Film scores are a huge part of my tastes in music. There are very few places I have found to chat about Star Wars music and other film scores.

It's been so long I don't even remember how I found the music forum. Get the word out. Mods and other leaders could come and post on a regular basis. Talk about it in other boards and forums. Put links to it in posts and sigs. Refer to it on the main TF.N page.

There are many great threads in the Music Hall. The Tavern is a great "homebase" for us all. I personally frequent the LOTR music threads, the AOTC music threads and many others. Really, anything that piques my interest. I also fight to keep threads active and up old discussions that deserve more attention.

Yes. More Mod involvement. Make the Mod(s) responsible for the Music Hall an active contributing member of the Hall who genuinely loves music and posts regularly in the threads here. Be more on top of redundant threads and unneccesary posts. During the time of AOTC music spoilers, the Mods were horrible about actually staying on top of things here. It pushed several regular members away and countless new posters because they did not want to be spoiled.

6. GasCabbie

GasCabbie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 28, 2001
    Granted, I have not posted often recently, but Music has been one of my favorite places on the JC since day 1. Actually, probably a little more like day 15 or so, but whatever.

I'll just reiterate what has already been said. Sure, the music forum is slow and normally the only thing going on is redundant threads being piled on top about topics already discussed. However, the free atmosphere of this forum (as opposed to the taught governing in the ampitheatere) has been its strong point. I'd like to see this forum continue to function as it has.

7. bright sith

bright sith Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 27, 1999
    ------------------------------------
    ------------------------------------
    I was aware of the installment of this forum, and have been here since then. I do not consider generating more traffic to be the primary goal of this forum because in general, the quality of posts here are very good. If it is seriously needed, as others have said, links, sigs, and announcements wouldn't hurt. I know I've always tried to give a link to this forum is some thread was of relevance, like a recent James Horner thread in the Amphitheatre.

---------------------------------------
    ---------------------------------------
    I don't really participate in social threads within this forum, so it's hard to say a favorite thread. If there were threads that I followed up, it's just like the other forums' threads--because I care about the topic.

----------------------------------------
    ----------------------------------------
    As I see, there is a mod assigned here once again, good. I believe SotS did a terrific job mostly here, except for one part. Because he was trying to stay unspoiled, perhaps he did not want to engage himself with too many of the spoilers when the soundtrack of AOTC first came out. I know it's a long ways off, but when Ep. 3 rolls around, prepare to have at least one mod who is spoiler friendly and keep everything in check.

But let me stress again, SotS' numerous threads and contributions were invaluable. His index, most underrated JW scores, video game discussion, best Williams-Spielberg cues, upcoming Williams scores, and many more were some of the best and most useful threads in this forum's history. Rather than think of fancy ways of generating more traffic, a real passion by the mods is still the best. SotS had it. My limited knowledge of you and the mods, RMCOY, prevents me from knowing what your views on film music are. But needless to say, if any of you are interested (Mr. K used to be a big fan), send them over and encourage them to participate.

8. RidingMyCarousel

Feb 20, 2002
    My limited knowledge of you and the mods, RMCOY, prevents me from knowing what your views on film music are.

I'm a composer and a musician myself. When I first joined the JC, I used to have a high passion for this board (it only died down due to a lack of time to post) -- and when I checked it out a few weeks ago and asked Sithman for some help, I remembered how great of a board this can be. :)

9. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    stri said:
    "Get the word out."

I agree. Half the people who post in the AOTC or EpIII forums don't even know about this place. They start music threads in those forums instead of here. I direct as many as I can over here. :)

P.S. Guys, please post all your thoughts that you posted here in the AC UPDATE thread in Communications. THE AC/MODS NEED TO KNOW HOW STRONGLY WE FEEL.

REPOST YOUR THOUGHTS IN THE AC THREAD! :)

10. RidingMyCarousel

Feb 20, 2002
    I added a link to my signature for this board. That's a good way to get it out in the open. How else, though, do you feel this board's name could be spread around more? :)

11. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    There's a link in mine too...

12. dehrian

dehrian Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 18, 1999
    1) How did you find out about the Film Music Hall?

Just saw it on the pulldown menu one day.

And how do you think the board could generate more traffic?

I think you should open up this forum to include discussions of all music, not just SW or other film scores. It would certainly increase the traffic.

It's not like there's a constant flow of information on SW music, or new information revealing itself weekly. With the films, you can discuss what's coming, what's been, whatnot. With the scores, you're much more limited. To keep the board lively, we need to be able to discuss music of all variety. If I wanted to start a thread on Miles Davis's Kind Of Blue or the new Christine Aguilera, where better to discuss it than the music board, rather than Community?

2) What are your favorite threads in the Film Music Hall?

Hmm. Don't really have any.

Are there any you frequently check out and post in on a regular basis?

Nope.

A sticky thread at the top, dealing with frequently asked questions, such as Palpy's theme in Augie's Municipal Band in TPM, edits to the scores, petitions and whatnot, directing people to previous discussions on the subject, or to websites outside TFN where they can gather more information.

13. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998

This forum is the main reason I came back to the JC. Music threads were sporadic and did not thrive in the pre-FMH days, much to my chagrin.

Why does this forum have to generate more? Lots of the "traffic" in other forums is nothing more than spam or slightly-warmed-over spam.

More traffic would be fine, and I welcome new posters. But I still fail to see the logic here for any wholesale changes.

I read most all FMH threads. I post mostly in the Tavern and the SW music threads (but I totally agree with the LOTR & other threads being here.)

Well, I agree that there hasn't been much of a mod presence in recent months, and that kind of support would help.

This is a wonderful forum as it is. It will evolve and get even better on its own.

[i]I think you should open up this forum to include discussions of all music, not just SW or other film scores[/i]
    This is an interesting thought. I would not be oppopsed to this. I was posting in a Beatles thread in the Amphitheatre, but it got relocated to YJCC. (I guess it was deemed a "fan club"-type thread.)

BTW, I posted my thoughts in the Comms thread as well.

14. RidingMyCarousel

Feb 20, 2002
    I think you should open up this forum to include discussions of all music, not just SW or other film scores
    This is an interesting thought. I would not be oppopsed to this. I was posting in a Beatles thread in the Amphitheatre, but it got relocated to YJCC. (I guess it was deemed a "fan club"-type thread.)

Opening this board up to more music discussion won't happen. That's one thing I can tell you, since it would interfere with the Amphitheatre too much -- and since this board has a stable set of parameters already (the Amphitheatre is steadily growing into the set there), I'd rather not take anything away from either board.

If I wanted to start a thread on Miles Davis's Kind Of Blue or the new Christine Aguilera, where better to discuss it than the music board, rather than Community?

This is a bit off topic, but I'm still trying to hammer out the differences between the Amphitheatre and Community. Most everyone would post threads in Community, when (at least I feel) they ought to try them in the Amphitheatre first.

15. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I just don't want to see a combining of the Amphitheatre and the Music Hall simply for housekeeping reasons ... or because it's easier to Mod that way. This is a community of people who love film music and Star Wars film music in particular. If you break it up or combine it with something, you will kill it.

16. RidingMyCarousel

Feb 20, 2002
    Trust me, strilo, thanks to the support and feedback you've given me already, this place looks to be pretty secure to me :)

17. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    Maybe this isn't the place to get into it too much, but assuming that the FMH stays the same (i.e Film Music), then I think the Amphitheatre could loosen up a bit on rules for music discussion...

maybe put some limits on the number of threads dedicated to a single artist... perhaps one thread for each genre, or maybe by time periods...

When I have time, I like to browse the Amphitheatre... I especially like the greatest book thread. :)

I would be more likely to visit more with certain music discussion (but not FIlm Music, of course!)

18. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    That's good to hear. Now how can we be sure other leaders above you don't just go around you to do what they want?

19. RidingMyCarousel

Feb 20, 2002
    Now how can we be sure other leaders above you don't just go around you to do what they want?

It won't happen; they have to concur with the current board moderators before they make a change and normally the board moderator has the final say unless an admin steps in (in this case, it would be Vertical).

20. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
  21. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    "I think you should open up this forum to include discussions of all music, not just SW or other film scores."

Please don't let that happen. :(

22. RidingMyCarousel

Feb 20, 2002
    It won't :)

I've got a suggestion here.
    How about no more new non-Star Wars threads? We keep the current ones we have here, since there seem to be plenty, but the rest get redirected to the Amphitheatre?

Just a thought.

23. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    But that's part of the thing here. We are the Film Music Hall ... not the Star Wars Film Music Hall. We are a group of people who like more than JUST Star Wars... Many of us are John Williams fans and he does more than just Star Wars. Many of us are film score buffs with a love for Star Wars and this suits us well.

Are people complaining that this forum is not strictly STAR WARS? If so who are these people who have such a one track mind? Why must we segregate everything down to such tiny little categories?

"Chat about ONLY star wars on this site, chat about LOTR music here... Harry potter here... John Williams here."

Sheesh mate that's like 6 sites for something we all have chatted about here VERY successfully and amicably for a long time now.

24. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    Hmm, that would create a split among similar topics, like LOTR, or composers...

25. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    So, essentially: No Harry Potter, no Lord of the Rings, no Gladiator, nothing besides Star Wars.

Why, may I ask?

The forum is great as it is. Film music scores are a wonderful genre, and if you made it just Star Wars, the place would become stale, seeing as that there is only 1 Star Wars score released every 3 years.

I honestly see no reason for changing things. :confused:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.