The Film Music Hall - New Board Rules [no longer] in Effect

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by RidingMyCarousel, Nov 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Seagoat
  1. RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master

star 6
    All current topics would still be allowed. :)

And see, one of the problems that was brought up was the redundancy issue between this and the Amphitheatre -- the Amphitheatre covers all non Star Wars music in the same form of discussion and has a few threads dedicated to composers, as well as musicians.
  2. Sithman Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    So bring those topics over here. :) Why continually take away from the Music Forum, instead of moving people over here, and thereby increasing the traffic that mods seem to be whining about the lackthereof.

Simple solutions. :)
  3. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Well so what. The Amphitheatre came after us. So shut them down and leave us alone.

Sheesh I can see this is going no where. This forum will never be the same again. Once again the Mods see fit to crush something here that I treasure. I guess it's time to move elsewhere.

4. RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master

star 6
    See, that's one of the problems I have -- The Amphitheatre is allowed those threads and I the board would not benefit one bit from losing them.

And then again, the same here.
    But, if this board is to be more than just Star Wars discussion, some will argue to move it to the JCC Category -- and the Amphitheatre covers music and such there.

Let's try and find some sort of solution here without hurting the two boards. Any ideas?

stril -- I'm not trying to crush you guys one bit. It was a suggestion, my friend. I'm trying to get ideas out in the open on the issue.
  5. Sithman Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    No, I agree, stri. Something WILL happen here to ruin us. Whether it be what Roy just proposed, or something worse like shutting us down for good.

To be quite honest, it doesn't appear the mods are appealing to reason anymore, they're just out to get us.
    There are threads in the Amphitheatre that already talk about composers and different film music, eh? Well, wouldn't THOSE topics be in the wrong forum, and not ours?

Film MUSIC Hall... Amphitheatre... I sorta assumed the film music stuff went in the Film Music Hall, but then again, what do I know?
  6. RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master

star 6
    To be quite honest, it doesn't appear the mods are appealing to reason anymore, they're just out to get us.

Listen, I suggested an idea. You guys are against it, so therefore I see no reason to put it in place. I just wanted your opinions. *sigh* I'm not trying to be the enemy here.

Here's a point that was brought up to me via PM -- The Film Music Hall is in the Star Wars Category yet it has a lot more than Star Wars discussion. That enough is justification to move it into the JCC category (something which I don't feel like would be a good idea).
  7. bright sith Jedi Knight

star 5
    As far as I can remember, there has been exactly ONE thread about any kind of film music in the Amphitheatre, a James Horner discussion thread. That's it. No more.

In other words, discussion about film music seems few and far between in the Amphitheatre. So if you want, you could potentially eliminate film music discussion from the Amphitheatre and redirect them here. And needless to say, I believe this forum should stay as only a film music discussion.
  8. Sithman Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    I agree. Look, SotS just recently changed the name from "Star Wars Music" to "The Film Music Hall" because he realized what this forum had matured (not changed or mutated- it is a good thing) into: more than Star Wars music discussion.

In my opinion, this forum is one of the few "High Class" forums and we need to save it. We have essentially never (if anyone wants to back me up on this, go ahead) argued or flamed people's opinions and we accept newbies gracefully. Go to the AOTC, TPM, Games, or any other forum and you won't find the same atmosphere.
  9. RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master

star 6
    This is one of the most mature boards on the JC -- A lot more mature than boards like TPM, AotC, etc. But, since this is more than just SW Music, logically it ought to be in the JCC section of these boards -- a problem with that would be that having the Amphitheatre and the Film Music Hall next to each other wouldn't stand right.

The Amphitheatre gets a fair share of music discussions - about instruments, composers, etc. The index there has a list of them. Yes, there isn't a lot of music soundtrack discussion in there -- but it is allowed.

Perhaps we could make a tradeoff? Keep all film music in here and move all instrument/theory discussion in the Amphitheatre?

10. jamesdrax Jedi Master

star 6
    1) How did you find out about the Film Music Hall? And how do you think the board could generate more traffic?

I think I was one of the reasons this board was created. Back in late 2000, all I'd ever do was post threads about SW music in the TPM and CT boards. But seriously, I was aware of this board when it was created. To create more traffic, in the scroll down, put The Film Music Hall above Attack of the Clones. That's the only realistic alternative that I can come up with.

2) What are your favorite threads in the Film Music Hall? Are there any you frequently check out and post in on a regular basis?

Not really, honestly. If the thread is good, then I usually go back to it to check it out.

3) Is there anything you feel could be done for this board that would help make the board better? If so, what?

I like it the way it is. The people who post here are IMHO some of the more sensible folks on the JC and I'm proud to be a part of it.
  11. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Honestly the Administration doesn't seem to care about any of this. They simply make political decisions without thinking of the people or communities they are affecting.

They decided to move or combine all the Defense Forces and ended up killing most of them and severely damaging the communities in the ones that survived. They are better now but still not the thriving communities that they used to be and probably never will be.

It's exactly what I said. If they decide to move change or kill this forum, there is nothing any of us, including RMCOY can do to stop them. Nor will they care if we all stop posting here and move on. Why do they even care if they lose 15 regulars?

12. RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master

star 6
    No, I will not let your voices be ignored. You are all members of the JC no matter how many there are and every member's opinion is as important as the other's.
  13. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    It's not you I am worried about RMCOY, it's the Administration. You are Bail Organa and they are Chancellor Palpatine. Yes he means well but he cannot stand up to Palpatine's power. In the end he is defeated.

14. General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    I would ask these questions of the administrators:

What is the purpose of the JC boards?

Who are they meant to serve?

Whose interests should the administrators be looking out for?

What would be gained by radically changing the FMH and alienating its regulars?
  15. RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master

star 6
    Just wondering, but how would everyone feel about the following:

-- Giving the Amphitheatre the theory/musician discussions
    -- Giving the Film Music Hall ALL Film Music Discussion
    -- Possibly moving the Film Music Hall to the JCC part of the board, making it easier to find

Thoughts?
  16. General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    Since the primary focus of the FMH is SW music, I say the JCC is not the place for it.
  17. Sithman Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    "Perhaps we could make a tradeoff? Keep all film music in here and move all instrument/theory discussion in the Amphitheatre?"

Now, THAT's a sensible solution, Roy. :) I like it.

But honestly, I agree with stri. The administration doesn't give a rip about 15 regulars here and a newbie (pardon the expression) mod. They never post here, it won't affect them.
  18. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Just wondering, but how would everyone feel about the following:

-- Giving the Amphitheatre the theory/musician discussions

I am fine with this. These are not really relevent to Film Music discussion anyway.

This is what we are all fighting to keep, so yes... this is fine.

-- Possibly moving the Film Music Hall to the JCC part of the board, making it easier to find

I am conflicted about this. Moving things in the past has destroyed the things that were moved. I don't even go into the JCC area at all.

19. Sithman Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    "-- Giving the Amphitheatre the theory/musician discussions
    "

I agree 100% with those. Good ideas.

As for the part about moving it to the YJCC category, why not just put it in the same category as the Amphitheater is (wherever that is)?
  20. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    OK I have no idea what the hell is going on but I most certainly did not post blah blah blah. I would not have shown Sithy or anyone else here such disrespect.

21. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 9
    But honestly, I agree with stri. The administration doesn't give a rip about 15 regulars here and a newbie (pardon the expression) mod. They never post here, it won't affect them.

That kind of talk is not true, nor will it help further your cause. The administration does what's best for the JC as a whole. If keeping the FMH is what's best, then that's what will be done. If it's best to merge it with something else, that will be the case.

Being mature and reasonable about it is a lot more likely to get you the end result you want.
  22. RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master

star 6
  23. Sithman Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    "Being mature and reasonable about it is a lot more likely to get you the end result you want."

We're trying, my friend, we're trying. Have you seen our posts? Considering what could happen to our forum, we are remaining remarkably calm. If your forum was about to be changed, would you do the same?
  24. General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    Well, we've gotten to the techincal sticking point of the fact that the FMH is a mix of SW & other topics.

Based on this one issue, I say leave it as is.

Sure moving the music theory/instrument threads would be fine.

I suppose moving the whole thing intact to JCC would be better than splitting it up.

Hey stri, feelin' blah? [face_plain]
  25. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    When you've been through the nonsense around here that I have been and the illogical decisions that keep getting reversed and waffled on, you might see things differently. It is understandable for people who are treated as such to harbor a little bitterness about it. I think we have all been very respectful and mature and courteous about this.

Moderators: Seagoat
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.