main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Film Music Hall - New Board Rules [no longer] in Effect

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by RidingMyCarousel, Nov 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Good question. I hope I would. I know I can get a bit personal about things when the Senate is discussed, even if I don't show it.

My suggestion is to look at things both personally and objectively. If you see things from an outside perspective and still conclude that keeping the FMH is a good idea, that's about all anyone can ask you to do.

2. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    1) How did you find out about the Film Music Hall? And how do you think the board could generate more traffic?
    This was actually where my first post was. I've loved the SW music since I was a kid, and was so happy to find a place to share my thoughts on the music with others who enjoyed it just as much as I did.

2) What are your favorite threads in the Film Music Hall? Are there any you frequently check out and post in on a regular basis?
    I don't usually get into chat threads or non-SW music threads, but I always try to read up on the SW-related threads. I tend to post here in streaks, where this is all I post in for like a week, then wait and see what the responses are.

3) Is there anything you feel could be done for this board that would help make the board better? If so, what?
    I think this forum is generating a lot more traffic than other ones Sithman mentioned in the AC update thread. The atmosphere of this forum is terrific, with a small, but cheerful and positive group of people who come in here and always have something positive to contribute. It should be left as is.

3. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    Yes, I'm late....

1) How did you find out about the Film Music Hall? And how do you think the board could generate more traffic?

I'm not sure how I found it - either in the Movies category or in the pull down menu

How about giving TFMH and the Amphitheatre (and maybe LFL projects, too) an own category? something like 'General Movie and Music Discussion' or so ... ?

2) What are your favorite threads in the Film Music Hall? Are there any you frequently check out and post in on a regular basis?

The thread that originally brought me here for good was the Fellowship of the Rings Thread. I have to admit that I don't have to say that much in there anymore, but it's still up frequently even after such a long time. And I'll return there after I heard the new music from FotR's Director's Cut

When the TTT Score comes out, the TTT thread will drastically increase my post count again, I'm sure.

and then, of course, there's The Tavern

but I read almost everything, even the threads about scores to movies I didn't even see. The recent Omen thread for example I found very interesting and downloaded the theme to get an idea of it. I'd listen to less music if it weren't for this forum, really.

3) Is there anything you feel could be done for this board that would help make the board better? If so, what?

better? force the componists to make better scores. As stri and Sithy (or maybe everyone here) already pointed out, we don't enjoy it very much to talk months about something that we don't like and bash it to death

seriously, I don't know. the one or the other idea that was brought up, was certainly for the forum's worse.
    I still don't really know what is so bad about this forum. It's slow? Not that much. I spend almost the whole day online and there are still times, when I need over half an hour to read what's new.
    It's redundant? The suggestions of moving ALL film music from the younger (!) Amp to here, while Amp gets the intruments, is fine with me, too. I mean, the Amp definitely won't die out if it's only for films and books. and operas. yeah. you can have them.

would the own category for TFMH, Amp, LFL, etc. be bad or good? I'd imagine if newbies find a category specifically about music and non-SW-films, it would draw more attention to the forums within, as how they are now scattered throughout the JC. having 2 forums with similar content in 2 different categories.
    The Amp evolved out of the YJCC, but is it still so much a part of JC Community as YJCC? I admit I'm rarely in there and never posted, but as far as I can tell, the discussion is very serious and non-social-like - The Amp has more in common with TFMH now than it has with YJCC
    but TFMH definitely does not belong into JC Community, as much as Amp doesn't belong to the SW-movies
    but since they have similarities (hence the redundancy of discussions about scores and composers) they could belong together -> new category

or leave everything as it is

4. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    TLJ makes a good point. If the whole idea is to organize the boards to avoid redundancy and make it easier for newcomers to find topics, then the Amp & FMH are more related than anything else.

If we cannot maintain the status quo, then how about a new category called Amphitheatre, with forums for Film Music, Other Music, Literature, and Film. (Or whatever other appropriate forums are needed.)

The only minor problem would be that SW music would not be found in the SW films category. But this would basically leave the FMH forum intact.

Is this kind of what you are thinking, TLJ?

What does everyone else think about this?

5. TwiLekJedi

Jun 14, 2001
    You seemed to have gotten my point, Ken, yes

but, IMO, the name for that category should be more informative, if it were ever to be created

EDIT: oops, wrong window

6. Tho Yor

Tho Yor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2001

I first found out when it was called 'Star Wars Music' and because I was very interested to hear what others felt about John Williams' scores.

My favourite threads are the ones that deal with Episode II's soundtrack, and also the ones in which people voice their opinions on the deeper meanings of the music. What I don't like are the very frequent threads in which people ask what a certain 'song' is.

It's fine. I'll leave it up to the people with good ideas.

7. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    Thanks for the input.

If there is anything else that anyone else would like to say, speak forth.

:)

8. Darth_Silenous

Darth_Silenous Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 21, 2002
    Ooh! Wait! I'm late...

I found it in a very roundabout way.(I accidentally clicked on "The Star Wars Films" instead of "Fan Activities".) I was drawn immediately to the AOTC Spoiler Music thread. Once Sithman told me about The Tavern, I became hooked to the board. ;)

I'm not quite certain how you'd generate *more* traffic. I think leaving things as they are is the best course of action (putting this in Amphitheatre would be worse, I think, than better; I certainly would have never found this place). Film Music appreciators are a rare commodity. They *will* find this place -- and they do. The community here is already very nice, and I think breaking it up for unfounded concerns of low traffic is ludicrous and unnecessary.

I love threads discussing AOTC or any intriguing themes from the other films -- uncovering allegory or symbolism is probably my favorite thing to do -- but I also appreciate reading through the wide variety of topics that get put up here. This board is somewhat reminiscent of Film Score Monthly's board, with a lot less of the flaming idiocy that goes on there, which I like. Diversity is good. :)

Oh -- I'm also a regular at the Tavern. ;)

I've never felt it had a problem, so I'm afraid I'm not much help here.

9. TenorAprentice

TenorAprentice Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2002
    I, too, took the weekend off, and missed most of the debate, but as far as my $.02

I found the FMH from SW Films! I used to read JCC, and quickly got board (ha!) and started to just stick to the movies. One day, i happened to stumble into it, and after an invitation and a free grog, this became my home (I am not kidding...my opening page for internet explorer is the FMH!)

like Sil, I love allegory and subtext in film music. I love analyzing film score as a portion of the whole, something you don't get with most music (Wagner exempt...) Any threads here have discussions along these lines. I have also on numerous occasions found out new leads to go on for which soundtrack to buy next... and who could forget the best grog in the galexy!

for starters, NOT to move it to JCC! They are a different bunch, and the folk who do well here are typically people who hang out at the SW film. As mentioned, the Amp. hasn't had too many redirected threads. However, in the SW Film boards, we have often redirected people here. And, through this, many regulars were added to our number. I think that if you disbanded these to the Film Boards, the discussions would be lost, because film music discussion needs to be low traffic. Often times to post a reply, a person must go and look up things, listen to scores, and do some homework. Otherwise, they run the risk in playing the fool (guilty, I know ;)) That, IMHO, is what makes this forum stand out! I really think that we should just leave well enough alone.

I would be ok with redirecting film discussion here, or putting instruments there. However, if you mix our two groups too much, I feel that you will kill both.

10. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    Just wondering, ROY, is anyone on the AC or the Administration being shown this thread? :)

11. RidingMyCarousel

Feb 20, 2002
    Yeah :)

I just presented part of the case to the Mod Squad :)

12. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    1. How did I find out about the forum?
    I seen the title "The Film Music Hall" in the index and I clicked. I was so happy at learning there was finally a forum devoted to my two favorite things besides fan fiction. I just nicely started posting in here and I love it to pieces. Everything is so interesting here and every post by everyone is so well done and well thought out. That can be hard to find at the JC these days, and it's all right here.

2. My favorite threads are about film soundtracks. I'm really into them and I have a huge CD collection on just tracks. But I just started posting in here so i really don't have a huge range on what's my favorite above all yet.

3. Can there be anything done to make the board better? Yes. I noticed in alot of the forums I visit the link for here isn't available in the above drop-down index. Make that visable everywhere and you could get more traffic here. Also mentioning the forum in the annoucement links wouldn't hurt either. Alot of people don't even know this place is here. Maybe even tell people to send PM's about it to fellow users you might think could like this place. Add the link to sigs too. I've noticed people doing that already.

Above all though, please don't merge this forum with anything. It's a good enough forum to stand on it's own if you let it. Every new forum needs time to take off. The Writers Resource forum doesn't get alot of traffic but it's still allowed to stay. Please let this one too.
    :)

13. Jedi_Katsushiro

Jedi_Katsushiro Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 14, 2002

- I found about the music hall through friends. I have always enjoyed the neat topics of differents tastes in music and the cheerful people to talk to about it. A great example of course is the music tavern. Good folks talking about good music in a really good attitude. I also enjoy the way its set up as well. In a way, in the tavern everyone that comes in has a part in teh tavern. Its really great. By this It always keeps me coming back.

- I do of course again enjoy the music tavern. I also stop in and read the forums on epidsode III music and people opinions on it. I sometimes also read about the other movies that people post as well just to see how it relates to starwars, sometimes I do find some intresting topics. Which is kool.

- in my opinion I love how that music forum system is as of now. I hope that no changes take effect. And most of all I definately hope that nothing happens to this forum. The majority of my time resides in the music forum. If this forum does go away the possibility of losing members here is quite good.

Once again I do hope nothing changes here. I enjoy this forum and the people that have helped design it. If you are planing on doing away with this forum please reconsider.

- Katsushiro

14. Storm2904

Storm2904 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 15, 2002
    How can you increase traffic?

1) On the menu page, cycle all of "The Star Wars Films" topics randomly rather than by number of posts. It's very easy to overlook topics toward the bottom of the list because it can be assumed that "everything's happening at the top". The same idea goes for Fan Force topics and all other topics on your boards.

2) Place a random plug and link to a particular topic on your TFN main page. Even if it doesn't specifically point to "The Film Music Hall", it will at least increase traffic to lesser known topics and generate interest in exploring other like topics throughout your boards.

3) Place a random "hot topic" from one of your threads at the top and/or bottom of each of your pages listing the latest threads. These hot topics would include a short (ENTHUSIASTIC) description. If it really is the motivation of each of the moderators to generate traffic, then they should go out and advertise and enthuse users throughout the site.

I obviously campaign hard and vote AGAINST disbanding "The Film Music Hall". My appreciation of film scores is a direct result of the Star Wars soundtracks. I cannot and would not separate intelligent discussion of non-Star Wars film scores within a strictly Star Wars Music page.

These rules also apply to "Lucasfilm Projects" as well - another favorite of mine......

15. RidingMyCarousel

Feb 20, 2002
    Right now, the discussion seems to be favoring moving non-SW threads into the Amphitheatre if this board is to stay.

As it is, if a thread is already on a topic there before one is created here and one is created here, I'll link to the other one in the Amphitheatre and lock it.

More to come on this later, I'm too busy right now to post more.

16. TenorAprentice

TenorAprentice Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2002
    NO NO NO NO NO!

that is starting to give in to changing before decisions are made!

Keep Film Music Discussions HERE!!!

17. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    This sucks. The admins are morons.

Do they understand that this forum will dry up in a matter of weeks after non-SW discussion is moved elsewhere?

If they're complaining about the traffic here (of course, I have no idea why), then why are they trying to not just depleat traffic, but kill the forum completely?

It boggles the mind...

18. TwiLekJedi

Jun 14, 2001
    "moving non-SW threads into the Amphitheatre if this board is to stay"

So they want to suck the life out of The Hall and see if it survives?

19. RidingMyCarousel

Feb 20, 2002
    Right now, nothing is 100% decided upon. You'll know in the next Mod Squad update.

Until then, I'm not letting redundancy slip by. If someone starts a FotR music thread in the Amphitheatre, it'll be locked and linked to the one here. Thus why I locked that thread earlier.

Guys, the way it is looking now is that we either take the non-SW discussion out of here. That or the board runs the risk of being removed.

If they're complaining about the traffic here (of course, I have no idea why), then why are they trying to not just depleat traffic, but kill the forum completely?

I don't think traffic is much of the problem. It more lies where what this board is defined as -- it was meant to be a Star Wars music discussion. I'm looking around to find an announcement thread saying that this board will be the Film Music Hall; I don't think it was ever announced. I don't think it would have been allowed if it happened after the creation of the Amphitheatre, either. That's if it happened after that board's creation - But that's just me.

20. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    My two additional cents:

I don't understand why this forum was changed from mostly Star Wars to general film music in the first place. Music is too big a part of the Star Wars saga not to have its own forum. But a majority of the regulars supported that change several months ago, and I totally understand. So why another reversal? I like the added variety this forum has now (though I'm a confessed LOTR basher). Why mess with it?

21. RidingMyCarousel

Feb 20, 2002
    Why mess with it?

Here's the deal : The Amphitheatre was created to cover in-depth Film Music Discussion, as well as many other topics. It was to preserve them from the YJCC and allow threads of certain types to thrive in a less-JCC like community.

Now, JCC boards cover everything non-Star Wars. And here we have a board in the Star Wars category that covers both Star Wars and non Star Wars music discussion -- where the non-Star Wars music discussion is covered by another board (and no opposition was against the allowance of music discussion there).

Since one board already handles the non-SW discussion and is in the JCC category, there's no need to move this board there. And Star Wars discussion is to stick strictly to the SW Boards.

Right now, nothing has been fully reached, but it looks like this board will stay and that the non-SW film music discussion will move to the Amphitheatre. Personally, I'd say that is a victory, compared to losing the Film Music Hall altogether.

22. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    I was around when the Film Music Hall was created. I like it; I had some really good discussions here in the past; not so many recently, mostly because I've discussed the old music and need to wait for the new music to come out to be able to discuss it adequately.

23. bright sith

bright sith Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 27, 1999
    Two points RMCOY, since I feel I've said most of what I needed to say.

I asked some questions in the Comm. thread, but so far there is no reply. As you can guess/see, my questions also have direct implications on how arguments can be made to keeping this forum as it is. I would very much appreciate it if someone were to respond to them, that thread or here.

About the Bond soundtrack thread that was closed here today. Do admins really find these two topics redundant? The member who posted the thread in this forum was specifically talking about his or her reactions to the latest soundtrack. How many people have discussed that aspect of the movie in YTAP's thread? Count. And if you feel that it *is* redundant--which I don't agree upon--why would you want such a specific topic to be burried in that thread, where no such discussion takes place? I would like to believe quality discussions are encouraged. And before there is any official decision by the Mod Squad, it seems unreasonable to change the rules of this forum half way.

24. TwiLekJedi

Jun 14, 2001
    A simple question. Look at the rules of the Amp and then at our two Lord of the Rings Threads...

Aren't the two kinda not-fitting into the Amp and would get relocated to YJCC if they were opened in Amp the exact same way they were opened here?

Or will they stay, because they were opened here first? If so
    SITHY, open up the RotK-Thread!!

25. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    Actually, TJ, that's exactly what we're ALL gonna need to do. Simply start threads on the scores that we will want to discuss in the future (ROTK, next Harry Potter, etc) and therefore the admins cannot close them or they will be breaching their agreement. All we simply do is up them every 2 weeks or so to save them from the automuncher.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.