main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Film Music Hall - New Board Rules [no longer] in Effect

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by RidingMyCarousel, Nov 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bright sith

bright sith Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 27, 1999
    A compromise is when both sides agree to let go some of their original intents and settle for something less. This situation is not a compromise because it's a decision made by one side.

It's time to let it go, but I still don't understand why questions are unanswered. Also consider the differing arguments that they have presented. Those of Lord Bane and GayLen are mostly concerned with the fact that it's is unfair to have a forum dedicated to film music, while the Mod Squad updates simply state "to bring more traffic to the board and make it a better, more enjoyable board." Which is it?

I'm the last person to say that the JC must follow every member's opinion, but it would be nice to hear a central argument that is stuck with, and to answer--if not seriously consider--what members have presented as arguments and questions.

2. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Those of Lord Bane and GayLen are mostly concerned with the fact that it's is unfair to have a forum dedicated to film music, while the Mod Squad updates simply state "to bring more traffic to the board and make it a better, more enjoyable board." Which is it?

Well said. Would the mods care to answer this?

3. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    Guys, since the Mod Squad update isn't out yet, here's the insert about the Film Music Hall:

4. The Film Music Hall
    After a discussion in the Advisory Council, the discussion of the Film Music Hall was brought into the Mod Squad. The discussion has now come nearly to a close and the following points have emerged from the discussion:
    - The Film Music Hall will stay
    - The FMH will focus on Star Wars music only.
    - Comparions between Star Wars scores and other film scores will be allowed.
    - All community-related threads there (The Music Hall Tavern, for instance) will stay
    - The only non Star Wars thread that will be allowed to stay is Sithman's Fellowship of the Rings music... Gosh, I love it!.
    - Everything else goes to the Amphitheatre, since it would be non-SW music.

5. That's it. The board stays. Everything else goes into effect asap.

6. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    - The only non Star Wars thread that will be allowed to stay is Sithman's Fellowship of the Rings music... Gosh, I love it!.

But it's closed...

7. RidingMyCarousel

Feb 20, 2002
    I locked it on accident. Clicked the wrong thread [face_blush]

It should be reopenned. :)

8. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    Whew! Even though Ameia's thread got close ( :( ) thank you SO MUCH ( :) :) :) ) for saving at least ONE LOTR thread! If there's anyone I'd want to talk LOTR scores about, it'd be these dudes right here in this forum. I'm sooo glad it's staying!

A BIG thanks to Roy! :D

\\big hug\\

9. RidingMyCarousel

Feb 20, 2002
    *man hugs back* ;)

Would you like the title changed to "Lord of the Rings" instead of "Fellowship of the Ring?"

10. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    That works for me. Sithy?

11. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    I second that!

12. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    Yah, that's more appropriate, but could you keep the whole rest of the title the same? It's so cheezy and stupid (I didn't know it would last so long when I started it) that I think it should stay. :p :D

So, yah...

Lord of the Rings music... Gosh, I love it!

...Works for me. :D

13. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    This absolutely SUCKS

I have thought about this since this debate began, and I'm sorry to say that I won't be frequenting this board any longer.

I appreciate all the effort you put into getting this board started, Sithman, but it appears to be in vain

THIS BOARD CAME FIRST, and after a debate about whether to merge this board with others, it was decided NOT TO, and so was born the Amphitheater, or Fine Arts forum, and this place was to be left as it was.

Now this decision has been revoked.

I guess I'll be updating my favourites board.

It was fun while it lasted

14. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    Yes, the "Gosh, I love it" part has to stay :D

15. RidingMyCarousel

Feb 20, 2002
    Halibut...
    Trust me, I think losing all non-SW music is a small price to pay compared to losing the board entirely.

:)

16. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    The idea of a single place where we could discuss all film scores is what has made this place what it is. You've cut out the spirit of it, as you can see by the amount of threads you are having to close. Now you're expecting us to not only look at this forum, with its core of dedicated followers and musicians, and then to wade through all the threads in the Amphitheatre about painters, and countless discussion threads about everything under the sun to carry on these discussions. Thanks, but no thanks

17. TenorAprentice

TenorAprentice Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2002
    While not entirely satisfied, I am very grateful for fighting for us, Roy.

and grateful that the tavern stays. (your next grog is on me ;))

one thought... is there any way that we can get a guarantee that, now that we have lost the non-SW threads, they will not decide to close the forum when trafic levels die down? It will drop (I am sure to a crawl by this time next year...until the next SW score comes out), so is there any way that we can be sure they are not going to see a lack of traffic as a reason to "revamp" it again, or worse, shut it down?

18. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Halibut I understand what you mean but many germaine discussions about Star Wars are still active in the Music Hall. Also, all we have to do with non Star Wars discussions is keep them tied to Star Wars somehow.

19. bright sith

Aug 27, 1999
    My disappointment is tremendous, as other film music's existence was the entire debate. Very few people ever questioned the existence of Star Wars music. In other words, at least for me, my arguments failed completely.

Question, why keep the name in tact? Star Wars Music is both more appropriate and less confusing.

20. RidingMyCarousel

Feb 20, 2002
    The name will be changed.

I was thinking just "Star Wars Music".

Any thoughts? Ideas?

21. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Star Wars Music is fine. This is what it was before the bloody Admins changed it. I wish they could make their minds up JUST ONCE!

Anyway, my rant about poor leadership is done.

:)

22. JonathonVandergriff

JonathonVandergriff Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 29, 2000
    I have to say that I refuse to comply with the rules laid out by RidingMyCaroselOnYou. I used to like this board, and it used to be interesting (before the mindless and blind Williams lovers came to stay), but now with the exclusive focus on Star Wars music, there is no point in being here.

I don't want anything to do with this board anymore. There's been a steady rise of the "stupid yet loud" lately and reading any message becomes an exercise in tolerance. No real topic has been discussed here for quite some time...topics have become increasingly nonsensical, often reading as follows: "Dude, do you think the Imperial March was played on trashcans at midnight? But what happens of purple is eaten and praised?" Off the wall comments that really have no purpose litter the Star Wars discussion threads, while the only good debate going on is in the non-star wars posts. Those have been shut down.

Replies have become strange and offensive. Many users, around the age of 16-18, feel the need to post in crude and weird language that no reader can understand. More to the point, those same 16-18 year olds don't understand the fact that not one single person can hear the sarcasm...you have to let people know you're being sarcastic! It's text for crying out loud! We can't hear your voice!

Lastly, there is very little talk coming from composers such as myself. Halibut posts occasionally and I know he has written music, but there are remarkably few articulate people who post any messages. They seem content to merely critique the work of others and not contribute.

p.s. My personal dislike of John Williams aside, there's really no point in endlessly debating the scoring process of a Star Wars movie. John Williams fulfills his contract for Lucas; nothing more, nothing less. He writes music according to the director's and studio's comments, records it, and provide the filmmakers with a final mix. His responsibilities stop there. It is up to the director to ultimately decide what to include or exclude and how to do so. Fans have no business changing the product to meet their expectations.

23. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    Well, better this than nothin'. Thanks RMCOY. I am just glad that we keep SW Music as a forum.

Rick McCallum loves you!

24. JEDIBYKNIGHT

JEDIBYKNIGHT Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 17, 2001
    I dunno. I post here very rarely, but I visit everyday.
    However, I regularly post at the Fanfilms forum. Over there, the general consensus is that if it's a fanfilm, SW-related or not, it has its place there. I thought this place was the same for music. Hell, when someone asked a music-related question in the fanfilms forum (for example : "what's the song / track played in the latest X teaser ?"), a lot of people immediately directed him/her to this place. It's already off-topic in the fanfilms forum, and if it's now off-topic in the music forum... then there will be no place for questions like this. I know, everything else is redirected to the Amphitheatre, but I doubt they'll get a fast, serious response there. This place had this : only people interested in music. Who cares if the traffic is low when the quality of the posts make up for it ?

25. RidingMyCarousel

Feb 20, 2002
    The point I made was that it doesn't matter how many posts this board gets.

The Amphitheatre is the JCC side that handles discussions that would be here. This is the Star Wars side.

If people would be so kind to cooperate, there wouldn't be any problems whatsoever. I did my best to keep this board here and it is going to stay. All I ask in return is for everyone to respect the decision made by the mod squad as a whole and try to be helpful with this. :)

26. Happy Ninja

Happy Ninja Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 20, 2000
    I don't like this...I enjoy the non SW threads because there are some interesting discussions that go on. Not only that, there is only so much you can say about SW music without repeating yourself, or someone else.

This poo is cold. [face_plain]

27. bright sith

Aug 27, 1999
    Question no. 2: do the new rules even exclude John Williams' discussions in this forum?

Seems so, but this wasn't the case even when this forum was first installed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.