main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Film Music Hall - New Board Rules [no longer] in Effect

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by RidingMyCarousel, Nov 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    That point is up for discussion.
    Thoughts?

Should we allow just SW music, LucasFilm related music or Williams' music?

2. bright sith

bright sith Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 27, 1999
    I would say Williams should be allowed in this forum. But hey, I believed film music should be allowed.

If the intent of the rule change is to fix this board, as some put it, then you probably shouldn't allow it. There would be too wide a spectrum, wouldn't there? There would be a slippery slope, right? Eventually, the forum would go back to what it was a week ago, correct? And besides, as of now, they are closed already, why change it?

the above paragraph is brought to you by a sarcastic and bitter person

3. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    "The name will be changed.

I was thinking just "Star Wars Music".

Any thoughts? Ideas?
    "

That's what it originally was. Changing it back would be great- it's much more oldskool, IMO (which is cool). :)

By all means, yes, allow all Williams music here. Of course, by doing that the mods have simply done nothing "splitting" the forum, since now we have a whole slew of music to talk about. But by god, yes allow all Williams music- the man is very closely associated with SW. :)

4. JonathonVandergriff

JonathonVandergriff Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 29, 2000
    And that is exactly the problem I have with your reasoning RidingMyCaroselOnYou. The Film Music Hall was a constantly evolving discussion. In the beginning, there was little interesting discussion, but as other topics began to surface, it got a lot more interesting. Good discussion started. Do you really want to eliminate good discussion in favor of fan ranting? How many "I love John William's music!" posts can you read without pulling your hair out?

The "Star Wars Only" music board is not really a discussion - it is a giant poll. Discussion implies dissenting opinions and alternative points of view. Controversy makes things interesting! Will people still feel compelled to contribute when all they have to say "I love that cue"?

In fact, let's reduce the entire music board to one yes/no question: "Do you like Star Wars music?" That's basically what you've done.

The question is whether or not people will still contribute at ALL once the new rules are in place.

Besides, RidingMyCaroselOnYou, what were you smoking when you decided to up and change everything?

If this is a show of power, show your power (yes, you're very powerful...oooooh....aaahhhh...okay, stop now. I don't want to see your power anymore), get it out of your system, and let's move on.

5. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    Jon: While I agree with many of your statements (about how we're basically starting all over from how this forum began), RMCOY did *NOT* decide/want to change this forum. He's been fighting FOR us.

The AC and the Modsquad did it. We can't really change it. :( (besides getting JW music back in here)

6. RidingMyCarousel

Feb 20, 2002
    First and foremost, I never brought up the idea of getting rid of this board. A lot of the moderators were for getting rid of this board. I wasn't about to let that happen, so I stepped in and took over.

Secondly, people can endlessly discuss Star Wars. That is proven in the movie boards. I would like proof saying that people can't continue to discuss Star Wars music.

And saying that these rules were a show of my power? All of these were discussed and came out of the discussion amongst the AC, with you guy's input and with the mod squad input. The discussion saw every face who was interested.

Other scores not related to Star Wars can easily be discussed in the Amphitheatre. If you want to discuss things, you'll post in the boards the topics belong too. I think I have been more than fair in this process to everyone. The Star Wars sides of the boards stick to Star Wars. The JC Community side stick to everything non Star Wars.

7. FateNaberrie

FateNaberrie Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 31, 2000
    Yee-ouch. Forget I posted here.

8. JonathonVandergriff

Dec 29, 2000
    Oh, so it's "Quit your complaining. You had a chance and you goofed it up, so shut up and be happy." Okay. Fine. I'll discuss Star Wars music in the Star Wars music board. I'll discuss how much Star Wars music sucks! THAT'S Star Wars music related, right?

9. JonathonVandergriff

Dec 29, 2000
    There needs to be a Fan Films Music discussion. Not just Star Wars music, but OUR music. I am a composer. I don't enjoy talking about Williams' music as much as I like writing my own.

10. RidingMyCarousel

Feb 20, 2002
    If you don't enjoy Star Wars Music, your thoughts are still allowed here.

Listen, all I ask is that you give the changes a chance. The Amphitheatre isn't as bad of a place as you may think.

And I have no problem with a Fan Films music discussion, as well as The Composer's Discussion in the Amphitheatre.

11. JEDIBYKNIGHT

JEDIBYKNIGHT Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 17, 2001
    That's a point though. Some fanfilms have original music. When those fanfilms are SW-related, how opened is the discussion about them ?
    For examples, you have : Broken Allegiance, Seeds of Darkness, Duality, Prelude to Hope... (we're only waiting for it to be released. Patience is the keyword on that one).

12. RidingMyCarousel

Feb 20, 2002
    I have no problem with that whatsoever. :)

There were also folks here who made some EU music a few months back (I was one of them). Fan made SW music is allowed in here :)

13. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    Good, good. :)

14. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    [face_plain]

::proceeds to remove TFMH from favorite boards list::

15. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    And so... the people who post in here from time to time begin the exodus from the Film Music Hall...

Let's hope it does not kill the forum completely.

I vote for keeping it all Williams related... which would mean re-opening the Harry Potter threads neh?

16. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    I vote for keeping ALL of the following in this Music forum:

John Williams' non-SW music
    Fan films music
    Fan music in general
    Lucasfilm music, be it John Williams or not

EDIT: And JEDIBYKNIGHT... "patience" is the understatement of the century :p

Rick McCallum loves you!

17. RidingMyCarousel

Feb 20, 2002
    Well, give these rules a little time to sink in before anything else is appllied. And remember, you're always free to compare SW scores to other films :)

18. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    "Prelude to Hope" STILL hasn't come out? [face_laugh]

Man, when I posted all the time in FanFilms, I remember the head dudes spilling Mountain Dew on their 'puter, the other dude going off to basic training... Man, they could document their making the film and it would be a good movie. :p

19. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    So does this mean no Williams music discussion for now Roy McCoy?

20. RidingMyCarousel

Feb 20, 2002
    It'll be a point I bring up in the near future, but for right now, let's keep it to SW. Now, if you were to make a thread that discussed the similarities between the styles and the discussion went off track a little, I wouldn't mind ;)

21. JEDIBYKNIGHT

JEDIBYKNIGHT Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 17, 2001
    LOL !

Yeah... still is in the 'Coming soon' section... :). That's because Devon Read (director) won't have it come out until the test screenings have perfect feedback or something... from what I understood...

Anyway... while the loss of every kind of music is deplorable, the news that fan music is allowed still help. I might post in here more often, who knows... (no, I don't write fan music. I like to comment about it sometimes).
    Adam's rules sound good.

22. AdamBertocci

Feb 3, 2002
    "Adam's rules" ... LOL, that makes me laugh for some reason...

[image=http://www.sgtfretsurfer.com/Grilled-Sarlacc/s/i/armyc.jpg]

Rick McCallum loves you!

23. JonathonVandergriff

Dec 29, 2000
    Good god. If you want to discuss everything Williams, change the board name to "Giant Poll for Williams Fans". Williams is not film music as a whole. He may be the most well known name to film music illiterate people, but good god, does the world have to revolve around him?

24. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    Yeah, let's turn the ModSquad's decision into a compromise

(and let's turn the guy who initially brought this up in the AC into orange goo - I know who!)

25. AdamBertocci

Feb 3, 2002
    J. Vandergriff -- while I too wish we had more of a place to discuss all film music, I'm not going to suggest de-emphasizing John Williams, and I find it a little odd that you seem so vehement about it or deem it inappropriate...

... because you DO know that this is a Star Wars forum, right?

Rick McCallum loves you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.