main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Films of Alfred Hitchcock: Disc: ]Alfred Hitchcock's Secret of Happiness

Discussion in 'Community' started by solojones, May 15, 2006.

1. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I... can't imagine at all what that would be like, actually.

-sj loves kevin spacey

2. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    He always had a great ear for music though; and many times it was a central plot point (Stage Fright, Shadow of a Doubt, etc). It seems he'd be apt to be quite good at a musical; he could integrate music quite brilliantly.

But then, from his other films, you'd think he'd be good at straight comedy too and we have ample evidence (Mr. and Mrs. Smith, Trouble with Harry, Family Plot) to the contrary there so . . .

3. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Too true; but you'd have to think he could have done a suspenseful musical... :)

4. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Upped by request.

(HINT: Like the posters...)

5. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    So what if I'm lazy! :p

This has been a bad semester with lots of health problems.. sorry about that. Next:

The Man Who Knew Too Much (1934)
    [image=http://www.peterlorrebook.com/img/file316.jpg]
    From IMDB:
    A man and his wife receive a clue to an imminent assassination attempt, only to learn that their daughter has been kidnapped to keep them quiet.

This is, as you probably know, part of a really rare situation. This, Hitch's British original, was remade by himself 22 years later in America with Jimmy Stewart. Obviously, it would be nice to compare...

Personally, I need to watch the films again. I'm going to at least try to watch this one tomorrow. Just gotta dig it outta my suitcase.

-sj loves kevin spacey

6. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    It's a very good film; one of his early great ones.

Love that poster...Lorre looks a lot like Marlon Brando.

7. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    It's a pretty sketchy film; the remake is better and you know I don't particularly like the remake. :p

8. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Yeah...I know. [face_not_talking]

9. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I was a terrible person and didn't watch the film. I haven't really had time to watch any films lately... long story. But, moving on.

The 39 Steps (1935)
    [image=http://www.britishpictures.com/photos/pics/steps_post.jpg]
    From IMDB: A man in London tries to help a counterespionage agent, and is soon finding himself in one jam after another.

Ok, I confess that this is one of the few movies I own but haven't seen. Actually, I watched about the first half of it once, but then I had to suddenly go do something.. I don't recall. I also don't recall the movie, except I do see to remember some place with a lot of step :p

Maybe I should watch it... but as I said, I usually can't right now. Arg.

-sj loves kevin spacey

10. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Not seen this in years and years. I used to have a video-recording of it and I guess I still might have somewhere. I have seen the later two versions and can confirm that this is the superior picture.

It's innocent in danger once again, with Donat on the run from the police as well as enemy agents, mostly while handcuffed to a woman who neither likes or trusts him.

I remember it as being good, but it was not in my top 5 Hitchcock films. I need to see it again.

11. Erk

Erk Jedi Master star 4

Aug 12, 2001
    a nice little film. The classic bridge sequence is great.

12. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Hitchcock's first international hit. Dated very, very little. An inspired adaptation of the book (which is also very good).

The direction is brisk, the hero and heroine are appealing, the story is amusing, the suspense is great, the pacing perfect, and a giant good time is had by all.

The music hall scene (which is a brilliant framing device) is not in the novel, except for a very brief reference. Hitchcock based "Mr. Memory" on a genuine act he had seen as a child--and as it turns out, Mr. Memory's professional pride wins out over all other considerations.

Black joke: ye villian looks remarkably like FDR. Bad boy, Alfred!

13. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Sorry about the delay. I was out of town for 2 weeks.

Secret Agent (1936)
    from IMDB: British soldier and novelist Edgar Brodie returns home during WWI to find that a government agency has faked a report of his death. They get him to change his name to Richard Ashenden and travel to Switzerland to track down a German agent.

[image=http://cinemania.up.seesaa.net/image/secret20agent.jpg]

I have it on a compilation of a couple Hitch films, but I haven't seen it yet. I'm frustrated because I planned on watching all of those as I went through this thread, but medical problems and stuff have made me a bit busy. I promise there actually are a lot of Hitch films that I've seen :p

-sj loves kevin spacey

14. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    I've seen this at least twice, but I seem to have reached that age where I have seen more than I remember.[face_worried]

I do remember that Lorre is the biggest character in the film, as The General, who is just a little psychotic. Gielgud, and it's weird to see him young, is very repressed and low key, though much of that is the script.

Worth watching certainly, but not Hitchcock's best by any means.

15. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    It does have an extremely interesting cast, though, which makes me want to watch it, but maybe not enough to actually watch it for a while :p

-sj loves kevin spacey

16. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    This one I haven't seen, unfortunately. Very rarely shown on television, and I haven't been able to get the DVD.

17. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    The DVD was a free give-away in a newspaper in the U.K., which probably means it wasn't considered a big seller.

Amazon.com have it for $7.99.

18. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I have it in combination with some other of Hitch's older films on DVD... don't recall which ones, though.

-sj loves kevin spacey

19. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    I live in Canada, but I'll have a look for it.

20. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    On TCM tonight:

11:00pm Lady Vanishes, The (1938)

"A young woman on vacation triggers an international incident when she tries to track an elderly friend who has disappeared."

Cast: Margaret Lockwood, Michael Redgrave, Dame May Whitty. Dir: Alfred Hitchcock. BW-96 mins, TV-G

Don't miss it.

21. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    I love The Lady Vanishes. I think the leads have great chemistry, plus I find Radford and Wayne's Charters and Caldicott rather wonderful (they reprised their roles in Night Train to Munich, again opposite Margaret Lockwood).

The 1979 remake is fun but vastly inferior.

22. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Vanity Fair has fun with Hitchcock movies: New Stars in Old Films

Renee Zegweller looked amazing like Anne Bancroft in her shot.

23. Led-Zeppelin

Led-Zeppelin Jedi Youngling

Feb 8, 2008
    I am ashamed to stay I still to this day have not seen a single Hitchcock film.

[face_blush]

24. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Well, start watching some...

25. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004
    There's plenty to choose from...he started making films in the 1920s and his last one was in 1976. Those are just the movies, he directed a number of episodes of his TV show as well.