main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Films of Alfred Hitchcock: Disc: ]Alfred Hitchcock's Secret of Happiness

Discussion in 'Community' started by solojones, May 15, 2006.

1. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I finally watched Foreign Correspondant just a couple of weeks ago. Truly brilliant, though, you're right about Shadow of a Doubt being the best one here. I agree with you all across the board, actually.

2. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    I'm going to write that up to commemorate it!

3. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004

Zaz, found this in the wikipedia article on Hitchcock. Thought you'd find it to be of interest:

Hitchcock's last collaboration with Graham Cutts led him to Germany in 1924. The film Die Prinzessin und der Geiger (UK title The Blackguard, 1925), directed by Cutts and co-written by Hitchcock, was produced in the Babelsberg Studios in Berlin. Hitchcock also worked as an art-director on the set of F. W. Murnau's film Der letzte Mann (1924)[14] He was very impressed with Murnau's work and later used many techniques for the set design in his own productions. In his book-length interview with François Truffaut, Hitchcock/Truffaut (Simon and Schuster, 1967), Hitchcock also said he was influenced by Fritz Lang's film Destiny (1921).

4. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Have seen the Murnau film, which is fantastic--but not the Lang one, unfortunately.

If you have seen Murnau's "Sunrise", you will see a sequence that I thought Hitchcockian when I saw it--the attempted murder, where the dog tries to get in the boat. I figured Hitchcock had definitely seen that movie...

Of the four movies to be shown on TCM, one was produced by Selznick, namely, "Rebecca" which for my money is the worst of the bunch. Hitchcock hated the close supervision he got from Selznick. Though under contact to Selznick, the three other movies were made during the early 40's for UA ("Foreign Correspondent", with Walter Wanger producing) and Universal ("Saboteur" and "Shadow of a Doubt") with Jack Skirball producing. Universal specialized in horror and cheap comedy, but they made some effort with Hitchcock..."Saboteur" had Peter Viertel and Dorothy Parker among the writers, and "Shadow" had Thornton Wilder (whom Hitchcock very much liked) and Sally Benson. Selznick was paid a generous fee for Hitchcock's services. Well worth the price. Selznick produced only two more of Hitchcock's films before the end of the contract: "Spellbound" and "The Paradine Case". "Spellbound" is not too bad, but "Paradine" is a real misfire; it looks overproduced.

5. JohnWesleyDowney

Jan 27, 2004
    Yes, I remember that...very Hitchcockian indeed. It's a memorable sequence.

For some reason, I find it hard to imagine Hitchcock working on someone else's film set as a subordinate, an art director or anything else. I guess that's because since childhood I've only thought of him as a director, the guy in charge.

6. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    See my edit above.

He did, though. But he was both talented and ambitious, and got his chance pretty quickly.

7. JohnWesleyDowney

Jan 27, 2004
    Yes, I read your update. He worked under Selznick's thumb and none too happy about it. I read somewhere Paradine was not a pleasant experience.

It's funny to read about Hitchcock being "loaned" out, with Selznick reaping the big reward.

It's almost as though Hitch was being treated like, dare I say it, someone's property - or "cattle"! Like an, gasp!, actor!

Hitch got the last laugh in the long run. His TV appearances gave him great fame. He became immensely wealthy as part of Wasserman's Universal empire from a stock deal...his movies were highly profitable, he made money from the TV show, and his private life remained both private and stable. Selznick on the other hand was a notorious gambler and lost a fortune, and had women problems. And while Hitch's output dwindled and deteriorated in his last years, Selznick's fall was even worse.

8. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Hitchcock liked to have a collaborative producer; Selznick was too powerful and obsessed with minutiae.

9. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    These four movies start very shortly.

10. JohnWesleyDowney

Jan 27, 2004
    Thank God for Turner Classic Movies. =D=

11. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Oh, yes. I've seen more good stuff there...great silent films, foreign movies, obscure American ones...

12. JohnWesleyDowney

Jan 27, 2004

Stayed up really late to watch SPELLBOUND. I love Ingrid Bergman and I really enjoyed her performance in this, the Dali nightmare and the final shot of the gun. :D

13. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    She was good, but Gregory Peck was wooden.

14. JohnWesleyDowney

Jan 27, 2004
    Gregory Peck was in that? :eek:

I never noticed him because I couldn't take my eyes off the luminous Miss
    Bergman. [face_love] ;)

15. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Have you seen "Notorious"?

16. JohnWesleyDowney

Jan 27, 2004

yes, several times

17. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Also "Gaslight"...

18. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I enjoyed Spellbound. I thought Peck was not bad; he was even vaguely menacing in that razor scene.

19. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    But he is terribly miscast in "The Paradine Case", as a British barrister, and I'm not sure I buy him in "Spellbound". Certainly Hitchcock did not want to work with him a second time. Selznick insisted.

20. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    He certainly doesn't have the ability of Hitch's favorite leading men to sort of go underneath to find the perverseness under the surface. He's all American, like Stewart, but he couldn't really play, I don't think, a character like the one Stewart plays in Vertigo. A villain, he could do, occasionally, but a truly corrupted hero? I don't know.

21. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    The only convincing villain I've seen from him was Lewt McCord in "Duel in the Sun". He's awful as Mengele in "The Boys From Brazil". Great voice, and he can do comedy, and not badly, either, but he's the heroic type.

22. JohnWesleyDowney

Jan 27, 2004
    Loved her in Gaslight too, I've seen it many times. Saw that one growing up because it's one of my Mom's favorite films.

Always kind of strange to see Angela Lansbury at age 18!

23. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Lansbury plays Sybil Vane in "The Picture of Dorian Grey" around the same time, and is the only good thing in the entire movie. IMO.

24. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    On Saturday, May 9:

9:45pm [Comedy] Rich and Strange (1932)
    An unexpected inheritance proves less than a boon to a young married couple.
    Cast: Henry Kendall, Joan Barry, Percy Marmont, Betty Amann Dir: Alfred Hitchcock BW-83 mins, TV-PG [Close Captioned] [Email Remind Me]
    11:30pm [Horror/Science-Fiction] Tunnel, The (1935)

25. JohnWesleyDowney

Jan 27, 2004

Never seen Rich and Strange, but I'll definitely try to catch it on Saturday night. :)