main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Films of David Lynch: David Lynch's Coffee Ads

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Nevermind, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Nevermind

Nevermind Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 14, 2001
    On TCM tonight:

Blue Velvet (1986)

A small-town boy unearths a world of corruption when he stumbles upon a severed ear.

Cast: Kyle MacLachlan, Isabella Rossellini, Dennis Hopper, Laura Dern Dir: David Lynch C-120 mins

I'm recording it...

2. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004
    I couldn't believe it a couple of years ago when TCM ran some of Lynch's early short films in prime time. They are so bizarre, disturbing and artsy!

Now they're running Blue "Dennis Hopper is insane and profane" Velvet? All the little old ladies with blue hair who like that channel for the Fred Astaire and Gene Kelly musicals are going to get an eyeful! :eek:

It's a great movie and one of my favorite Lynch films, but it is disturbing material to put it mildly. TCM may alienate some of it's more elderly and prudish viewers. Not that there's anything wrong with that. [face_mischief]

I admire the scope of the material that TCM shows. They definitely take risks. I mean, I've seen Kyurosawa material and yet last weekend they ran "The Incredibile Mister Limpet" a cartoon fish movie for the 60s starring Don Knotts. They run silent films from the 20s and also biker movies. Wow.

3. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    My favorite bit in this is in the beginning when the camera takes us into the grass to see the insectile horrors writhing just below the surface.

Lovely! :)

4. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    Have you *seen* some of the stuff they show?

5. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004

Indeed I have.

Zaz, I missed the very beginning of Blue Velvet. Did Robert Osborne do his usual introduction, or did they run it without opening commentary?

6. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    I haven't seen my recording yet. I'll tell you as soon as I do.

7. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    I've been a DL fan ever since I first saw the excellent, edgy show Twin Peaks in the very early '90's. However, I didn't see Blue Velvet until about 6-7 years ago. BL is a great movie, but extremely disturbing and hard to take. The sadism in the movie is quite over the top, and is actually quite sickening at times. However, I guess that's what Lynch was going for.

However, even though BV may be Lynch's best known film, I still think Lynch's best film is Lost Highway, with Mullholland Drive a close second.

8. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    Heineken??!!??!!

**** that ****!!!!!

Pabst Blue Ribbon!!!!!!:mad:

And Lynch's best film is Wild at Heart, everybody knows that!!! :p

9. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    31 LYNCHIAN DAYS OF CHRISTMAS

For your viewing entertainment, 35 Years of David Lynch presents a Lynchian film suggestion daily from now until Christmas day. Each film selection is set during the holiday season, at least in part, or otherwise feels at home when viewed during this special time of the year. And each selection will have a plot, style, or tone that reflects an important aspect of director David Lynch's movie-making sensibilities. Like a Christmas advent calendar, check back each day for another cinematic treat.
    Terry Gilliam's Winter Wonderland in 12 Monkeys (1995)

1ST DAY: PIECES OF APRIL (2003)

10. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
  11. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
  12. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    That is amazing. I think the main thing I take away is what I already knew: I do not want to be drinking the same things David Lynch is.

13. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    You know, from an advertising standpoint that might just be spectacularly well done. Not because the style is suited to the medium - far from it - but because the commercial structure screams David Lynch and it's his name and... um... popularity?... that's being used to move the product in the first place.