main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Films Of Martin Scorsese: Scorsese and Dicaprio Reunite for "The Wolf of Wall Street"

Discussion in 'Community' started by severian28, Jul 31, 2006.

1. StarDude

StarDude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 28, 2001
    DeNiro shouldn't have played this part anymore than he should have played Bill the Butcher in Gangs of New York. For one, DeNiro couldn't pass as Irish. Also, using Daniel Day-Lewis as an example, it takes away from the shock value. Daniel Day-Lewis playing that role was mind-blowing casting, and it got him a nice Oscar nomination.

That said, in The Departed, I would've preferred Bill Murray in the role instead of Nicholson. The actor who plays the role in Infernal Affairs was generally considered more of a comedic actor before that. Bill Murray in the role would be far more interesting than DeNiro or Nicholson. DeNiro, like Nicholson, would just be playing a role he's done before.

2. severian28

severian28 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 1, 2004
    I dont think DeNiro shouldve played Bill the Butcher at all but he wouldve absolutely kicked ass as Costello. Nicholsen is great in the film but still goes way too over the top in some parts.

3. StarDude

Nov 28, 2001
    I agree. But I don't think DeNiro would be much better. The casting of this role was a great opportunity to cause some intrigue. DeNiro wouldn't be interesting at all in this role. Again, Bill Murray. Or even someone like Harrison Ford would have been interesting.

4. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    I rather like the idea of Ford as a villian.

5. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004

I rather like the idea of Ford as a villian.

Now that's a very appealing idea. His natural disposition
    seems to be kind of grumpy, and I'm sure he could use that
    in a villainous role somehow. Also, he briefly played a
    villainized version of Indiana Jones in Temple of Doom,
    and he seemed to like it. Might give his career a whole
    new spin.

6. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    And it needs it. He's bit beyond ze action hero at the moment.

7. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Agreed. He's good at playing shallow self-serving characters, ie Han Solo, so he might actually make a good mob boss.I would also suggest Dustin Hoffman as another possible alternative to Nicholson, as he made gave a show stealing performance in Hook. As for Robert DeNero, I agree that he probably wouldn't make a very good Irishmen, but if you made the character Italian, then DeNero might be interesting to watch.

8. StarDude

Nov 28, 2001
    I like that it's about the Irish. You'd have to rewrite the movie quite a bit to change it to the Italians. Scorsese's done that though.

9. beaujolais2003

beaujolais2003 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 8, 2006
    He basically played one in Mosquito Coast (the character was unsympathetic, at the very least). That movie didn't do so well. Perhaps that was enough to dissuade him from further such forays.

Pity, as he did a great job with the character and the film was quite good.

10. StarDude

Nov 28, 2001
    Mosquito Coast is Ford's best performance. In fact, is two best performances are in this and another Peter Weir movie -- Witness. Maybe Ford needs to call that guy up.

11. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    Finally saw The Departed this weekend. Brilliant film, and its easily up there with Goodfellas among the very best Scorcese has ever done.

12. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    A lot of reviewers complained about the ending...

13. StarDude

Nov 28, 2001
    Which in my opinion vindicates that he should have used the ending of Infernal Affairs.

14. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    I didn't see the original...what *was* the ending?

15. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000

Yea, the ending was a bit too ridiculous, although it was shocking as hell. Never saw Infernal Affairs so I dont know how they ended that one.

16. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Scorsese has four films in development:

1. A Rolling Stones documentary. I wish he'd leave this area alone. Wasn't being parodied in "This is Spinal Tap" enough?

2. A documentary on the development of the Airbus\

3. "Silence" (2008) "Two Jesuit priests, Sebastião Rodrigues and Francis Garrpe, travel to seventeenth century Imperial Japan (which has isolated itself from all foreign contact) to see how the evangelical mission is going. There they witness the persecution of Japanese Christians at the hands of their own government, which wishes to purge Japan of all western influence. Eventually the priests separate and Rodrigues travels the countryside, wondering why God remains silent while His children suffer." (From IMDB)

4. "The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt" This is based on a non-fiction book that I've read. Roosevelt's early life has some interesting things...the charge up San Juan Hill, his stint as a rancher in the West, the death of his mother and his first wife on the same day...but it's going to be tough to avoid 'exposition dialogue.'

17. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004

4. "The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt" This is based on a non-fiction book that I've read. Roosevelt's early life has some interesting things...the charge up San Juan Hill, his stint as a rancher in the West, the death of his mother and his first wife on the same day...but it's going to be tough to avoid 'exposition dialogue.'

Is Leonardo gonna play Teddy?

18. Django211

Django211 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 6, 1999
    I finally got to see The Departed but I prefer the original. As good of an actor as Leo is he can't compete with Tony Leung, few can.

What strikes me about the remake is how the ending is similar to the one enforced by Chinese censors. In the original Hong Kong ending Andy Lau gets away with everything. Thus dooming Lau to the worst level of hell according to Buddhism. The Chinese censors disapproved so the ending was changed so that Lau's character gets arrested, yet this happens so suddenly that it undermines the entire film. Was this Scorsese's original choice or was this something forced upon him? My guess is that Scorsese actually chose this ending knowing the American audience wouldn't like an ending so bleak. The only reason Mark Wahlberg's character is in the film is to dispense "justice" so that Damon gets what he deserves. What I find funny is that both China & the US have the same ending but arrived there from different sources. In one it was dictated by the state & the other by the market.

19. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    DiCaprio would be good casting as Roosevelt, definitely.

20. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
  21. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    I finally saw it over the weekend -- spoiler-free by some miracle. Really enjooyed it, but the last 15 minutes were a bit too random. And yeah, the Marky-Mark bit was silly. Just, but silly.

Question: Was Delahunt really a cop. Costello thought it was a trick, but why else wouldn't he tell anyone that Billy was the rat?

As for The Rise of TR, one of my favorite books, I'm very curious to see how it tgurns out.

22. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    It's an excellent book, but should be read in conjunction with "Mornings on Horseback."

23. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    I haven't gotten to mornings yet. I love McCullogh, though, his The Great Bridge is another personal favorite.

Theodore Rex, Morris's follow-up to Rise, covering the Presidential years, was also excellent.

24. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Yes, Morris on TR is good. On Ronald Reagan, alas, he's awful.

25. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998