Arena The First Basketball Draft

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by The Great No One, Apr 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MandaloreYak Force Ghost

star 5
    Well, then he should be able to find an old teammate to get into the Double Stuf Racing League right? With his edge from Snickers competition, he should have no trouble acclimating to Oreos, I would think.
  2. Point Given Mod of Literature and Community

Manager
    star 5
    PATRICK CHEWING

Even though I'm a Knicks fan, he's a 3rd rounder at best.
  3. MandaloreYak Force Ghost

star 5
    Does this seem like the slogan of only a 3rd-rounder to you?
    [image=http://daviddoctorrose.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/patrick_chewing.jpg]
  4. JediMaster1511 Force Ghost

star 9
    I have to disagree, if it wasn't for that awesome Bulls team, the Knicks migt have been able to win a championship or two with him. They were always a consistently good team and he did a lot a work on those teams.

Patrick Ewing and John Starks = DSRL dynasty. :p
  5. darth_gersh Force Ghost

star 6
    NY Jedi gets a triple double out of The Big O every game.
  6. The Great No One Force Ghost

star 8
    you HAVE heard of the ewing theory haven't you...
  7. MandaloreYak Force Ghost

star 5
    No, but I won't look uncool by letting you know that.

Lol I remember my dad hated the Knicks. Especially Anthony Mason and I think Starks as well. Always thought they were a bunch of thugs.
  8. The Great No One Force Ghost

star 8
  9. Point Given Mod of Literature and Community

Manager
    star 5
    I have, why do you ask?
  10. The Great No One Force Ghost

star 8
  11. MandaloreYak Force Ghost

star 5
    See what happens when you aren't talking to me?
  12. JediMaster1511 Force Ghost

star 9

Which one is that?
  13. NightHunter319 Force Ghost

star 4
    A theory (created by Dave Cirilli, I believe), which basically states that a team has great shot of playing better without it's "star" player (even though the star player didn't bring a ton of success to the team anyways): coined after the 99 Eastern finals when Ewing was injured in one of the first couple games; everyone thought the Knicks were done for, but they actually ended up winning. Kinda like the Nuggets this season without Melo
  14. JediMaster1511 Force Ghost

star 9
    Yeah, but after Ewing left the Knicks they started to get a little worse until they hit what they had the past few seasons. Granted a lot of that was the fault of the organization, they still suffered on court.
  15. The Great No One Force Ghost

star 8
    it's more of an in season kinda thing. and it happened more than once with ewing actually. the guy looked back at it and made a pretty strong case. enough that i think it was bill simmons that coined the term.
  16. JediMaster1511 Force Ghost

star 9
    Yeah, but you can same for the Bulls the year Jordan retired. They still made the playoffs and had like 50-something wins. Most teams can survive without a star player for a while, that's a fact for pretty much any well built team, yeah that is a fact. To relegate it to Ewing though is a bit unfair. He was a very good, if not great center, in his prime and a guy you can build a team around.
  17. New_York_Jedi Force Ghost

star 6
  18. The Great No One Force Ghost

star 8
    no, no, no... that's not the theory. what it is, is that in the season that you have them you do better when they aren't in the line-up. you win games that you weren't expected to win even if they were playing. and that happened consistently with ewing over the course of his career. no one is going to dispute that he was a great player, but for some reason his teams consistently won games that they shouldn't have when he wasn't in the line-up. there is no way you can say the bulls played better without jordan. none. odds are they'd have had 8 straight championships if he hadn't retired. there was never a game that they were really supposed to lose with him.

that make a bit more sense?
  19. JediMaster1511 Force Ghost

star 9
    I think I understand what it's supposed to mean, I guess you can loosely compare it to Tom Brady and the Patriots when Brady got hurt and Cassel took over and still managed to find success.(I say loosely because there was no Super Bowl at the end for Cassel as opposed to Brady's 3)

I don't know how succesful those Knicks teams would have been over a long strecth though without him though.
  20. The Great No One Force Ghost

star 8
    don't think anyone really disputes that very much, but then look at the nuggets don't think anyone expected them to play better after melo left. and new york wasn't lighting it up that much last thing i read about it (which admittedly was about a month ago now).

the brady thing... not so much, because they didn't play better without him. sure, the exceeded expectations, but with brady they were supposed to win the SB, and without him they were expected to practically fall off the face of the nfl at first.
  21. Shadow_of_Durron Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Mexcellent. I wasn't leaning towards Dr. J for a couple specific reasons, but thanks for taking the temptation off the table.

Scottie Pippen
  22. JediMaster1511 Force Ghost

star 9
    The Knicks have come around a bit(a bit), but no one expects them to go past round one. The Nuggets got some talented players from the Knicks though(not sure if a whole lot of them are contributing at the moment as I am about as out of date on Denver as you are on the Knicks)

That's why I said loosley when I made the analogy to the Patriots, because clearly that team is different with Tom Brady at the helm.(even if they have been a bit less stellar come playoff time)

I was hoping Pippen was around by next next pick. Oh well, gotta figure more than a few of my wanted players will be off the board by the time my nxt pick comes.
  23. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    I was actually expecting PG to go for the Jordan-Pippen combo at the end of the second round. Not going to fall that far now, though :p
  24. Point Given Mod of Literature and Community

Manager
    star 5
    So was I :p Oh well, I have four other players lined up for precisely this scenario
  25. NightHunter319 Force Ghost

star 4
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.