main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The First EUC - SWC Writing Challenge

Discussion in 'Archive: Census and Games' started by Sinrebirth , Nov 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    The First EUC - SWC Writing Challenge!

Welcome one and all to the *Voting Phase* for the EUC - SWC Writing Challenge! Top writers from the EUC and SWC have been working on entries for this challenge meant to bring the EUC and SWC closer together.

The Prompt

"Anakin, I have a bad feeling about this."

Minimum of 500 words, and a maximum of 2000.

The Reward

The prize of this whole contest is the pride and bragging rights as the best writers on the boards! EUC has three entries and the SWC has three (two writers of the original eight did not submit), with each anonymous writer representing their respective forums! For the writer that wins first place, their respective board will take the title as home of the best writers on the forums (represented by the Platinum Quill Award). Additionally extra festivities will be bestowed upon this winning writer at the discretion of his or her home moderating team. A week of colors are included in this package.

The Contestants

The contestants are going to remain anonymous until after the contest. Then everyone that submitted will be revealed. At the moment, they will be represented by planetary pseudonyms, in the vein of the RPF-FF Contest.

What you can do!

You, the general public, are going to decide who is the winner of this contest! You do not need to be active in Fanfiction nor Role Playing to vote here. The more voices, the better.

Firstly, feel free to PM myself only with your judgment on these authors. You will be allowed to choose three out of the six as the best of the bunch. The piece you rank first will be granted 3 points. The piece you rank second will be given 2 points. And the piece you rank third will be given one point.

I will be tallying these points over the course of one week, at the end of which the winner will be chosen.

You may use this template to vote:

1st Place (3 Points): [Insert Planet Name]
    2nd Place (2 Points): [Insert Planet Name]
    3rd Place (1 Point): [Insert Planet Name]

Also, feel free to let the anonymous authors know in here what you think of these pieces! Positive comments only please!

They will appreciate your feedback. [face_peace]

Any Questions?

PM Sinrebirth, s65horsey or Qui-Gon_Reborn and ask them!

And now... *drumroll* the entries!

2. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Earth

Obi-Wan stood next to Anakin with a frown on his face. This was not good at all, and Obi-Wan could tell from the frown on Anakin's face he knew this too. Anakin was staring in front of him with his brow furrowed. Anakin was definately troubled by what he saw.

Obi-Wan looked over Anakin's, "Anakin, I have a very bad feeling about this." Obi-Wan said frowning.

"I agree, Master." Anakin continued to look in front of him, thinking. Anakin leaned in closer to the chess board, his face wrinkled in contemplation.

"Well Anakin, I see two possible moves." Obi-Wan said scratching his beard. Anakin nodded, and before Obi-Wan could say anything else he moved his rook to take out his opponents knight.

"And that was not one of them." Obi-Wan said frowning.

Anakin looked at the board, and frowned as he realized what Obi-Wan meant. Before Anakin could do anything his opponent reached forward and moved his queen into checkmate.

"Checkmate Master Skywalker." Padawan Jesse Dobek said ending the game with a smile. "It was close game." He said putting his hand over the table to shake Anakin's.

Anakin accepted the young mans hand. "Your Master has taught you well, young one-"

"Of course he has." Came a voice from the doorway. The three of them looked over, and saw Master, Anen Bastra, Jesse's Master.

Anen walked in, and put his hands on his Padawan's shoulders. "Well done, Padawan. You used tactics very well. But don't get cocky because you won. Any victory may be smacked down by one cocky move. Remember that."

"Yes Master. I have one question. How did I win? Was Master Skywalker holding back?" Jesse asked directing the last part towards Obi-Wan, and Anakin.

Obi-Wan turned towards Anakin. "I have a very bad feeling about this." Obi-Wan said chuckling. "You get to handle this one." He said to Anakin.

A nervous smile slid onto Anakin's face. "Well sometimes the apprentice comes up with strategy's that the Masters fail to think of."

"Right. We're playing chess, not fighting a war." Jesse said raising his eyebrow, and crossing his arms.

Anakin smiled, and looked away. He got himself into this, and now he had to get himself out. "Um... your Master asked me to."

Anen scowled at him. "Lying doesn't get you anywhere."

Anakin rolled his eyes. "Alright, alright. I got cocky. That's the morale of this story. Don't get cocky, or you're doomed to lose." Anakin pushed away from the table, and left the room.

Obi-Wan smiled, and turned to follow. "Well done, young padawan." And he left.

"I hope you learned a good lesson padawan. For the next hour I want you to meditate on what you learned here, and how best to apply it to your life." Anen nodded to his padawan, and left his padawan there to meditate.

In the outside hall Obi-Wan, and Anakin were waiting for him. "You did well Master Skywalker. He believed you, and learned what he needed to learn. Though you overdid it just a little." Anen said chuckling at the end.

"At least I was convincing." Anakin shrugged.

The three of them continued down the hall laughing.

Mars

?Anakin, I have a bad feeling about this.? Another shell exploded near Obi-Wan Kenobi, almost causing him to fall on his knee due its sudden impact. The battle was not going well; the clone soldiers were overmatched against the CIS stronghold, which was covered with several big cannons and hundreds of droid soldiers. Previous attack plans had failed, and Obi-Wan knew that things were going to turn out badly unless he could come up with a plan. Anakin Skywalker, lightsaber in hand and blue blade ignited, nodded in agreement to the statement.

?I agree, Master. This will be tricky.?

?Typical,? the elder Jedi snorted. ?How come things always end up this way??

?Well, then I have a plan to help us out,? Anakin said with a slight grin. Obi-Wan sighed; he hated it when Anakin had a plan. It usually meant that he would either be crawling through a sewer system filled with excrements from hundreds of individuals, jumping off a cliff to destroy a turbolaser battery located at the bottom of a can

3. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Tyi-Maet_Nefer Jedi Master star 6

Jun 17, 2005
    [face_laugh]

Oh, we're an easily amused bunch here in C&G ... :p

Am I correct in saying that votes finish on the 5th of Dec? I'd love to read these and want to know if I still would have the chance to at the end of the week! Great to see it back. :D

4. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 11, 2008
    Yep, it ends in one week. You've got plenty of time to read 'em all. ;)

5. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I'm glad to see this here! Good luck to all the contestants :)

6. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    We have our results in! Firstly, I must reveal the identities of the contestants!

Earth - Mister_Master!
    Mars - JEDIGUNSHIP!
    Saturn - MsLanna!
    Neptune - Qui_Gon-Reborn!
    Pluto - RK!
    Uranus - Trimaj!

Shocked? The revelations grow deeper as we wander down the rabbit hole. Who has triumphed in this war of words?

[image=http://blog.redfin.com/sfbay/files/2008/10/drumroll.jpg]

Drum Roll, please!

I have the sad task of announcing that RK, JEDIGUNSHIP and MsLanna have not made it into the top three. Congratulations to all three of them for their superb efforts. I enjoyed your entries, hopefully you will have better luck next time, my friends. =D=

And so, without further ado, allow me to reveal our third place!

Star Wars fanfare, please!

Mister_Master

The chess game between Anakin and Jesse Dobek was very interesting. But it was the lessons attached to the game which were more interesting. Learning to conceal, and to teach about cockiness, and Anakin ended up learning about it as well. Very well done!

I have the additional honour of announcing that we have joint victors in this game - a tied vote for first place. As such, Qui-Gon_Reborn and Trimaj have both came first. Qui_Gon with her excellent story set both in the Yuuzhan Vong War and the Clone Wars, touching a lesson upon both Skywalkers, father and son, and Trimaj, with his story of Tlanala and her sacrifice, and her reunion with her hero Anakin. Both very touching stories.

Congratulations to all the entrants, and I bequeath the Platinum Quill Award to the joint winners. Very well done to all!

Applause!

7. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    wow... totally not expecting that at all. thanks very much for those who voted for me, and congrats to MM and rox.

*picks up my quill* well, i don't really know what else to say. suppose i should write more or something.

8. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Congrats!!

9. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Yes, write more! :D

10. Mister_Master

Mister_Master Jedi Master star 6

Oct 17, 2007
    Wow, I was not expecting to get third place. Thanks everyone who voted for me.

11. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    I did my best. That's all that counts. :)

Good job to the winners!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.