main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The first game you ever played

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by General Immodet, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Probably CGA King's Quest 1. Back when Sierra games had you type and didn't pause for the input. Plus a bunch on C64, like Barbarian, Dune, and Karateka

2. Champion of the Force

Champion of the Force Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 27, 1999
    OMG this. I still remember Space Quest II, frantically trying to type fast enough to open a shuttle door and get in before the robot guard caught me, only to spell a single word wrong and get that blasted "What do you do with a [misspelled word]?" message. Only later on did I discover you could slow the game speed down. :oops:

Son of a Bith likes this.
  3. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    :) Oh, the memories. Quest for Glory 1 was originally "Hero's Quest," which had the typing commands.
    [​IMG]
    And Quest for Glory II is my favorite of the series - also with typing.
    [​IMG]

Champion of the Force likes this.
  4. Champion of the Force

Dec 27, 1999
    Funnily enough, the Quest for Glory series was one of the only game series from Sierra I never played. I did however gorge myself on most of the other 'Quest' titles (King's Quest, Space Quest, Police Quest), the Conquests of Camelot/Longbow duology, plus the 2nd Laura Bow game.

5. Son of a Bith

Feb 28, 2013
    Did you play Gabriel Knight?

[​IMG]

Probably my favorite story of all the games I've played.

Yodahasgreenfeet likes this.
  6. Champion of the Force

Dec 27, 1999
    No, that was another series I missed. By the time it came out I was hooked on Monkey Island.

7. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Pfft, those SCI games made it pause while typing. AGI were harder. :p

QfG2 is an epic game.

8. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    I still remember people considered computers science fiction back in the early nineties.
    When my dad finally bought a computer in 1998, I just spent about twenty minutes just staring at the box in which it was packed.
    Now we are about 15 years later and everyone considers having a computer a normal thing.
    Actually, many people are obliged to own a computer for their work or for their studies. I think that is kind of weird when you think back of the nineties.

9. Son of a Bith

Feb 28, 2013
    I think it gets even weirder when you think about where we'll be in 20 years time, if the rapid advancements of the last 20 (especially the last 10).

Computer-facilitated telepathy, anyone?

General Immodet likes this.
  10. Son of a Bith

Feb 28, 2013
    I've moved well beyond "the first game I've every played," but if no one objects, I'll share another memorable PC game from my childhood to keep the thread moving.

BATTLE CHESS
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It'd probably be pretty slow and tedious to play these days, but when I was younger I used to LOVE Battle Chess! I thought it was the coolest thing to see all the pieces as animated people, duking it out in the medieval style. The rook used to straight-up EAT dudes! I had this before I had a sound card, so when I see pictures of the game I imagine the sqeaks and crunches of my PC's internal speaker.

There was even a Star Wars version, though I never played it:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Anyone else play this one?

11. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    I've never heard of Battle Chess! The Star Wars version looks wicked! One of my first PC games was Quake, Doom 2, and Descent already installed on a computer that was given to us, at least I think it was my first PC game. I alternated between those three games and never got enough of them! Them my mom gave the PC away to a friend, and I was stuck with our other lamer computer...until my dad brought home Half-Life: Uplink. It wasn't until three of four years later I finally got to play the real Half-Life! My favorite video game to this day.

One game I may of played before those was a Sierra game called EcoQuest, I had to Google it because its been so long since I played it but I may still have the disc it was bundled on laying around somewhere! I'm pretty that was actually one of my first PC game experiences.

Son of a Bith likes this.
  12. tulwinn

tulwinn Jedi Knight

Apr 28, 2011
    I think mazogs was the first game I remember with any clarity. I still remember having tons of fun with it. I'm definitely showing my age with that though.

13. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Either...

[​IMG]

...or...

[​IMG]

That's on my old 8086, of course. In arcades, probably...

[​IMG]

DarthIshyZ and Ender Sai like this.
  14. Marxist Mandalorian

Marxist Mandalorian Jedi Youngling

May 20, 2013
    First game I ever played was Toy Story 2 on the Nintendo 64. My second was Shadows of the Empire (my hands down favorite Star Wars game)

15. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I don't remember the first game I ever played, but I knew I had an Atari when I was very young and we had a Tandy computer. I was the man at Dig Dug and space invaders.

16. Son of a Bith

Feb 28, 2013
    Oh my god I forgot about Descent!!! It was like a FPS and a Space Combat Simulator hybrid. A lot of the missions felt like flying through the interior of the Death Star. I loved those games :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also, Half-Life was amazing, and its sequel remains my favorite FPS (and one of my favorite games) to this day. Great expansions too. Still waiting for Half Life 2: Episode 3.

17. Jedi General Gelderd

Jedi General Gelderd Jedi Master star 5

Mar 6, 2004
    The first computer I had to play games was the Amiga 500. It's still my greatest, fondest game memory and I'd do anything to have it back today to play the games I grew up on - 'RoboCop', 'Double Dragon', 'Wizball', 'Hunter', 'Midnight Resistance', 'Shadow Of The Beast', 'Outrun', 'Batman'....I miss them.

But the first game I remember playing that captivated me and introduced me to the wider world of gaming adventure and the enjoyment and escapism it brings was 'The Secret Of Monkey Island'. Hours and hours was spent playing that game, and equally the second, "LeChuck's Revenge". The fact the sequel had like 11 disks you had to keep swapping over was annoying, but classic at the same time! :D

[​IMG]

18. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    Yeah, the many disks we used in the past... The evolution in regards to memory storage did not take place so long ago.
    And of course, who could ever forget the floppy discs?

19. Minez01

Minez01 Jedi Master star 1

Nov 12, 2005
    My first memory of playing any game whatsoever was playing "Duck Hunt" on the original NES. I think that the console came with Super Mario Brothers and Duck Hunt as well. Good times.

20. tulwinn

tulwinn Jedi Knight

Apr 28, 2011
    hah, Floppy Discs? Luxury! who remembers tape? :_|

DarthIshyZ and General Immodet like this.
  21. rhinotaz

rhinotaz Jedi Knight star 2

May 31, 2013
    Now that's something difficult to remember.
    I guess it was Super Mario for NES, that or the duck shooting thing.

22. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    I remember installing Windows 3.11 and Office 4.0. I think Office came on 30+ floppies.

General Immodet likes this.
  23. Thefinalhack

Thefinalhack Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 11, 2013
    Some game based on the dinosaurs movie for ps1 (this was at my aunts and she didn't have a memory card so I had to play level 1 over and over again every time I went)

Sent via my astromech droid

24. Jae-Dec

Jae-Dec Jedi Master star 3

May 20, 2013
    Super Mario Bros. - NES

25. squir1y

squir1y Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2003
    Air Sea Battle, Missle Command and Defender for the 2600. Darn, I feel old...